Growing My Own Kombucha Scoby - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 491 Old 12-03-2011, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post

I lost my homegrown scoby to mold!  Now that GT Dave's Kombucha has been re-formulated does anyone know if I can use the same technique to grow a new scoby?

I tried GT's reformulated kombucha and it didn't work. I posted on freecycle looking for a mother, and I got several responses.
#482 of 491 Old 12-04-2011, 05:37 AM

I can't imagine what they are doing to CT Dave's kombucha to get rid of the alcohol, the taste is certainly suffering!  Thanks Koalamom I'll look locally :) 

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#483 of 491 Old 12-05-2011, 01:50 PM

I've only read the first page so far. I'm curious, too. Could somebody please tell me what is Kombucha? Actually what are the benefits attributed to it? I gather the scoby is analagous to the mother in vinegar or the starter for sourdough?

#484 of 491 Old 04-01-2012, 12:30 PM

Are you adding fruit at start of brew or at time of bottle? I am three days in growing my SCOBY, so I am a few weeks from brewing first batch.
#485 of 491 Old 11-13-2012, 02:00 PM

You shouldn't flavor until after the brewing because it can affect the scoby.

Ps. I didn't know we could make our own scoby until reading this thread! Im glad I succeeded and am now brewing my first batch joy.gif
#486 of 491 Old 11-16-2012, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I used GT daves back in May to start my own scoby and had no problems until I ran out of jars to put all the new scoobies in, lol. I have moved since then and gave them away to a neighbor but am hoping to start again with another bottle of GT daves. I hope it hasn't changed over the summer!

I like to mix the 'brewed' kombucha with a little ginger, or mint leaves and lavender then cork it and leave it in a dark cool shelf not the fridge.

be good family...

#487 of 491 Old 03-21-2014, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

OK, Don't Laugh (if you can help it) :rotflmao

I was growing my own little Scoby from bottled kombucha. I put the jar on the top shelf in my kitchen cabinet.  I was documenting its progress by taking pictures every couple of days and sending them to my sister. (She started trying to grow one at the same time)  It was doing soooo good, nice thin little baby growing on the top.  So today, while taking my picture...

I DROPPED MY PHONE IN!!!!!  (I'll take a short break now so you can catch your breath from laughing!)

Dum-de-dum-dum-dum....(Have you caught your breath yet?)

OK...  Needless to say, my beautiful little baby scoby folded over on itself and is now laying on the bottom of the jar.  So, have I killed it or contaminated it or what.  

Just in case you are wondering, my phone is still working...for now.. volume does seem to be affected somewhat though..  

#488 of 491 Old 03-21-2014, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Put your phone in a sealed bag with a cup or two of dried rice. It will absorb all the moisture within a couple of days.

Hope your little baby survived!
#489 of 491 Old 03-21-2014, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks Springshowers.  I don't know which I'm more upset about.. my phone or my scoby.  :eyesroll 

#490 of 491 Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM

Not fermenting! Help!

I have a SCOBY mother that is folded in half... and then folded again in half. Is this going to deter a baby from growing on top? So far, it's been 10 days without major changes. The tea is still sweet. Perhaps my problem was location? It was in the back of our walk-in closet. I read it may need more air flow (even though i do have a towel secured over the top. So, now it's on top of a dresser. There is no sign of mold (phew! bc I got that the first time I tried). I also used Yerba Matte tea to try something new... I don't believe it has essential oils in it. The last thing that could be wrong is that it's all folded up. It's how I got it. Should I try to maneuver it open? Is it super fragile?
#491 of 491 Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne01 View Post

I DROPPED MY PHONE IN!!!!!   
Ha! Better than the toilet!!!

PS Saw this is old, but couldn't resist. Hope the phone and scoby both survived. Hope also to give this a shot myself if I can figure out a place in the kitchen to keep it.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Last edited by Ragana; Yesterday at 12:05 PM.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page