Growing My Own Kombucha Scoby - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 489 Old 07-12-2008, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mysticpi, That is a great idea. Thanks. I will look into it. I also had the thought today that I should mention it to the lady who runs our local organic farmers' market...see if she knows anyone who wants to start making their own kombucha.
#242 of 489 Old 07-12-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIris View Post
Mysticpi, That is a great idea. Thanks. I will look into it. I also had the thought today that I should mention it to the lady who runs our local organic farmers' market...see if she knows anyone who wants to start making their own kombucha.
Isn't it fun to spread the kombucha love!?

I'm trying for my partner to like it but so far no luck at all!! It skeeves her out and she complains that it smells like apple cider vinegar. Her mom on the other hand was so excited about it when she visited, apparently her dad used to make it back in Russia!
#243 of 489 Old 07-13-2008, 04:58 AM

woohoo!!! just bottled my first batch of kombucha tonight. i'll start a new batch in the a.m. :

it filled up 4 grolsch bottles. i didn't fill them all the way to the top, just left the foam and capped it, now the level of the liquid is about half way down the neck. should i have waited for the foam to die down and finished filling them?

i had a little left over so had my first glass of homemade kombucha tonight. it was a little sweet... next time i'll let it ferment a little longer.

you guys rule!!!! thanks for talking me through it!!!
#244 of 489 Old 07-13-2008, 02:45 PM

if you leave your bottles at room temp for a few days, it will continue to ferment and take care of some of that sweetness. It will also develop a little more carbonation. I always bottle while it's just a little sweeter than I like it, and then do a second fermentation.

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#245 of 489 Old 07-13-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIris View Post

I was thinking about this too but more along the lines of making a bunch and selling at farmers markets or locally owned, hip cafes. But I'm not sure about the legal stuff.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#246 of 489 Old 07-13-2008, 09:39 PM

OK, so I'm hooked to the stuff, too, as is dh. And taking inspiration from you ladies, I am trying to grow my own scoby.

I have a half bottle of plain GT's (with blob) in a quart size ball jar covered with cheesecloth and secured with sealing ring. This is day 3, and a film seems to be forming on the surface. My dh asked whether I shouldn't have added some sugar so that the organisms might have something to feed on as they grow and multiply, and I haven't known how to answer him. So, should I have added some sugar?

There's a bunch of videos on Youtube on making K'cha, if anyone's interested in seeing them...

Another question: I have the jar in a cupboard, but it's hard to actually see what's going on in there unless I take it out. Does this disturb the process? Should I just leave it be? I know you're not supposed to move yogurt while it's setting. Does the same principle apply?

Thanks! Looking forward to sharing my results with you (provided I have results to share, of course...

Maggy
#247 of 489 Old 07-15-2008, 12:41 AM

Gougou, I did what you did. I started with some left-over GTS Gingerade, after a couple of day I saw a scoby and made some sweet tea. When it was cool enough I poured the GTS gingerade kombucha in a quart jar together with the sweet tea and waited. I observed a thing film and the accompanying bubbles around and together with the small disc of scoby. When it was firm enough (perhaps after 3 days or 4) I made some more tea according to a recipe I found here on the forum with green tea bags, and white sugar enough for a gallon jar. It was fun to wait and watch the whole thing grow and develop. Definitely it needed the sugar in the quart jar initially that the culture feeds on. I now have 5 1-gallon jars going, and have been experimenting with different teas and yerba mate.
As far as touching or moving the jars, I too was afraid I shouldn't have been doing that, but somewhere else I read that it is OK. I had the first jar above the fridge in a cabinet, but there is no air circulation in there. I read that it needs fresh air but not direct sun. So on the kitchen counter it sits.
Hope this helps.
BTW, I love the flavor that pu-erh tea gives the brew and I also noticed a lot of growth activity with piloncillo (mexican brown sugar).
After I bottle the kombucha, I add a tbsp of fresh ginger juice and the fizz is just awesome!
#248 of 489 Old 07-15-2008, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the tips and reassurance, girlgeek! I definitely like the ginger-flavored best also and am looking forward to brewing tons of it. I haven't checked my jar yet today.

Another question to the wise K'bucha brewing moms:

When I brewed the tea, I noticed a few loose tea leaves got into the works. Is that something to be concerned about?
#249 of 489 Old 07-17-2008, 03:48 PM

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

I am drinking my first homemade fully fermented kombucha tea and it is soooooooooooo good. Maybe better than GT's? I don't know... it could be like one of those things when you think your kid is the cutest in the world... but this is really good!!!!

:::::::::: :::::

Thanks mamas for talking me through this. I just started my second batch this morning!

So here's a run down of what I did from beginning to end for anyone who is interested.

- Bought GT's Gingerade from WF. Poured 1/3 of the bottle into a clean glass jar and covered with paper towel secured with rubber band. Drank the rest.
- Let it sit forever (it seemed like) until I had a very thin, hardly noticible scoby growing on top.
- Added a cup of sweet tea w/ waaaaaaaay too much sugar (it was like a regular mug of tea w/ a 1/4 c. sugar - oops).
- Let it sit for about a week until the scoby got a little thicker.
- Made a full batch of sweet tea (1 1/2 quarts water, 1/2 cup of tea and 2 tea bags) and added the previous concoction to the new batch, all in a pickle jar. Covered the top w/ paper towel and secured with rubber band.
- Let it sit for 8 days, rocked it a couple of times in the meantime. At that point I had a pretty decent scoby formed.
- Poured the kombucha into 4 Grolsch bottles. I really needed a funnel for this, but made due. Capped the Grolsch bottles and put them in the cupboard. Drank a little glass of the kombucha, it was a little too sweet at that point, but ok.
- Let the bottled kombucha ferment for another 5 days and stuck it in the fridge this morning. Just opened one nice cold kombucha and had my own little celebration that I wanted to share with everyone!

So my second batch of tea I made last night and left it out to cool but then fell asleep. I accidentally left the tea bags in all night so it must be really strong. It will be interesting to see how that turns out.

PP - I don't know what to say about the loose tea leaves. Maybe try to fish some out... I don't think it's too big of a deal though.
#250 of 489 Old 07-18-2008, 11:55 AM

Update: Day 5 or 6

Thin layer of transparent film forming on top of liquid with some whitish islands here and there with lots of little bubbles. Tentacle-like things hanging down from what I assume is the beginnings of the scoby. Smells like K'cha.

Should I be adding more tea w/ sugar at this point?

TIA
#251 of 489 Old 07-18-2008, 01:59 PM

GouGou- you can add extra tea and sugar if you want, I did and it really took off.

DH opened a bottle yesterday and said it was REALLY fizzy!! Yay!!!! FINALLY!!
First I let it ferment for a long time with the scoby, maybe 3 weeks. Second I bottled it with a bit of fruit juice or none, depends on what I have on hand or what you like, then let it sit out for another couple of weeks. Last, I let it sit in the fridge of a good month. So these bottles have been fermenting for a good long time and that seems to be how to get the fizz.

FWIO- I make huge batches at a time so I have a ton of bottles sitting around waiting to be drunk. I really just stumbled across the fizziness because we couldn't drink them up fast enough!

Edited to add- GouGou- You do not NEED to add any sugar or tea to get the scoby to grow

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#252 of 489 Old 07-18-2008, 08:06 PM

YIKES!!! I've run out of sugar!!! What if I add tea and pure maple syrup instead?
#253 of 489 Old 07-19-2008, 04:38 PM

Maple syrup should work. That'll be some expensive homemade kombucha!
#254 of 489 Old 07-22-2008, 12:27 PM

Hi, I found this thread after reading a blog about KT and wanted to try it. So I bought 2 bottles of GTs, drank one, liked it and used the 2nd one to try to grow my own momma. From what I have read everything looks good! WooHoo! But I have a question, and there are so many pages to this thread thought I would just ask instead of trying to find the answer.

How long do you let it set before you do anything to it? I started mine last Thurs. and it is now Tues. I know it isn't ready yet but I want to be ready when it is time.

(I already have the ginger root waiting in the freezer.)
#255 of 489 Old 07-22-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livin4gzus View Post
Hi, I found this thread after reading a blog about KT and wanted to try it. So I bought 2 bottles of GTs, drank one, liked it and used the 2nd one to try to grow my own momma. From what I have read everything looks good! WooHoo! But I have a question, and there are so many pages to this thread thought I would just ask instead of trying to find the answer.

How long do you let it set before you do anything to it? I started mine last Thurs. and it is now Tues. I know it isn't ready yet but I want to be ready when it is time.

(I already have the ginger root waiting in the freezer.)
Hi! there is no set amount of time, some bottles make mothers quicker than others. I'd say wait up to a week and you'll probably start seeing a thin mother floating on top. If there is no mother yet just add a bit of sweet tea to it and it really should take off.

What most people here do after they see a mother is make 1/2 a batch of sweet tea. so 1/2 cup sugar 2 quarts water 2-3 bags of tea, either black or a mixture of black and green- I'm too impatient to wait for it to get to room temp so I brew the tea in a couple of cups of water, then add the sugar, stir it in, and theadd rest of water at room temp. You'll need to have a gallon sized container, put the kombucha tea in it, add the sweet tea and plop the mother on top. Cover with a paper towen and your done!!

before you know it you'll have more mothers and more kombucha that you know what to do with!
#256 of 489 Old 07-22-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GouGou View Post

When I brewed the tea, I noticed a few loose tea leaves got into the works. Is that something to be concerned about?

I just had a batch finish that had some leaves slip into it. It turned out just fine. I don't think it made a difference either way.
#257 of 489 Old 08-08-2008, 05:14 PM

Today is day seven of my first brew. Using some ideas I read about here I have bottled 5 bottles with dried fruit, ginger, etc. I have also set some aside to drink now while I was waiting for the flavors to infuse in my other bottles. I did not see any bubbles that show there is some carbonation going on and figured I just did not wait long enough. Imagine my surprise when I tasted it and it was carbonated! Not a lot but it is in there.

One of the ways I was hoping to drink this was mixed with fruit juice. I am allergic to most fresh fruits so to continue to get the nutrients from fruit I have been drinking fruit juice, making sure to get 100% juice with no added sugars. Still that gets expensive and there are a lot of calories.

After I filled my bottles and cleaned up I grabbed some ice, filled a glass half with KT and half with Cranberry juice. ::: Oh this is even better than I had prayed for.

Thank you to each and every one of you that inspired and encouraged me to do this myself.

#258 of 489 Old 08-08-2008, 05:22 PM

Isn't the experimenting with flavors great?
I tried raspberry tea, pu-erh tea, black tea (middle eastern), green tea, I tried piloncillo, white sugar, organic can sugar, turbinado sugar...
In the end, I like green tea and plain white sugar and with the second ferment I add about 1 tbsp of ginger juice. AFter 2 or 3 days I have something that is awesomely good and I call the champagne of the gods...
Good luck and happy brewing.
#259 of 489 Old 08-08-2008, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know what it is about the ginger, but I always really like my kombucha with ginger (added in for the second fermentation) the best.

I just bottled some today. Two kinds: peach-ginger and cherry-ginger. Yum!
#260 of 489 Old 08-26-2008, 09:35 PM

Hi ladies! What are your favorite flavorings? How much do you add? :
#261 of 489 Old 08-27-2008, 12:25 PM

I add dried cranberries and fresh ginger. Let ferment for 2-3 more days and pop it into the fridge.

I want to try dried cherries. That really sounds good.

Are their any fruits that we should NOT use?
#262 of 489 Old 08-27-2008, 12:47 PM

I would like to try a lemon-lime-ginger combo...I haven't read this entire thread, so forgive me if this has already been discussed. Should I squeeze the juice from the citrus, or just slice it and put it in the bottom of the bottles? Or both?

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#263 of 489 Old 08-27-2008, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovemercy View Post
I would like to try a lemon-lime-ginger combo...I haven't read this entire thread, so forgive me if this has already been discussed. Should I squeeze the juice from the citrus, or just slice it and put it in the bottom of the bottles? Or both?
You can do it either way, or add both juice and slices... I don't think it matters much. I often just add the fruit itself but have done just juice before, also, and it turns out fine.

Have fun experimenting!
#264 of 489 Old 08-27-2008, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by livin4gzus View Post
Hi ladies! What are your favorite flavorings? How much do you add? :
I've made a lot of different kinds, just depending on what fruit I have on hand at the moment. My most recent batches have used a lot of peach, because we had fresh peaches on hand. In the winter I use more frozen "berry" fruits--cherry, blueberry, raspberry.

Some good combinations I've used:

Peach & Ginger
Lemon & Ginger
Orange & Ginger
Raspberry & Lemon & Ginger
Cherry & Blueberry (or Raspberry, or all three) & Ginger

Can you tell I really like adding Ginger Root in there?

As for "how much" to add... I just play it by ear so it's hard to say. But probably about a couple teaspoons of diced ginger root plus several teaspoons worth of fruit.
#265 of 489 Old 08-28-2008, 07:46 PM

OMG- I just read this entire thread....

I am going to start growing my own scoby TODAY!! I am so excited.

Couple questions:

- I have turbinado, raw cane sugar, and regular old white granulated sugar in my pantry. Which is the best to use?

- While growing my scoby and brewing batches, should I put them into my dark cupboard, or leave them on my kitchen counter (where they would get some sunshine- not direct, and fresh air)?

- Tell me about the bottles that you use. I was going to use my old GT's bottles, but then I read the exploding bottle thread.... and now I'm wondering if I should go back to IKEA and buy the SLOM bottles? (are those better for avoiding explosions?) I just got back from IKEA where I bought some glass jars for brewing... I think they're about 1/2 gallon size. Is that a decent size if I have a couple going at once?

- Somewhere in the thread I think someone said that they didn't drink the first batch (that they grew the scoby in)- is that the process? Make one batch to grow the scoby, and the next to drink? Or can I drink the first batch too? Just wondering because I have a bunch of NON-organic black & green tea that I could use for the first batch... Or I guess, how important is it to use organic tea? I have a Costco-size box of green tea that has been sitting in my pantry forever... would love to use it up!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#266 of 489 Old 08-29-2008, 12:23 AM

subbing this thread...

I just bought some GTs today and am going to try this tomorrow. I tried making my own scoby with another method, but it didn't work out.

~Kaiya~

winner.jpg  Mama to DS(7), DS(4), DD(1) and #4 due 8/2014!

#267 of 489 Old 08-29-2008, 10:45 AM

This has worked for me. I have just grown two from this method. It tastes great too.
#268 of 489 Old 08-29-2008, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Changingseasons!

Let me see if I can answer all your questions here...

I use plain old white sugar and save the expensive sugars for other uses.

I'd leave the batch out on a counter or table. Fresh air is good. Not sunlight though; the top and sides of the jar should be mostly covered I think.

For bottling, I use Grolsch bottles and Lorina lemonade bottles. They have the pressure lock swing-tops which makes for great fermentation. I'm not familiar with SLOM bottles... let me look those up a minute... okay, YES, those would be perfect to use.

As for drinking the first batch, I didn't drink mine because the Scoby wasn't very thick or strong at that point and the first batch didn't taste very good. I considered it a "growing" brew and not a drinking brew. You can taste yours, though, and see what you think.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Iris
#269 of 489 Old 08-30-2008, 10:21 AM

Oh, I am SOOOOOO excited.

My sweet little mother scoby is birthing a new, healthy little scoby in my first batch of kombucha. I am *thrilled.* Like, this: : is not an exaggeration of how I'm acting right now.

Mama scoby needs a name. I'm thinking Vivian...

This is SO COOL. Just had to share the love.

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#270 of 489 Old 08-30-2008, 11:42 AM

Congratulations! Isn't it so much fun? I have yet to name mine.. my boys keep calling it scooby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page