Mothering Forum banner

Does eating more fat make you thirstier?

550 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  quietserena 
#1 ·
Does it? I notice this myself on a day when fill up with lots of fat I'm really thirsty into the night. Samething happens when I eat a bunh of lean meat. ???

#3 ·
Metabolizing fat and protein uses up more water than metabolizing carbohydrates. I don't know the details but this is one of those things I read in The Zone diet books and that's why Dr. Sears (barry not bill) recommends drinking way more water if you're on the zone or you'll get constipated. Something about eicosonoids metabolism but I've just forgotten what.

#5 ·
I think it probably depends on what the rest of your diet looks like. I eat a good amount of fat (trying to get in more now!) and consume quite a bit of veggies-some in the form of juice and don't need to drink much water either. If you are eating alot of salt (which I don't) that would effect things too.

#6 ·
There was an interesting letter in the WAPF journal about more fat requiring LESS water. The writer was commenting on how the current trend of carrying around a water bottle and everyone being so thirsty all the time being a sign of our low-fat world. S/he wondered how our high-fat ancestors got by without water bottles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.