Emotions and nutrient deficiencies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 11-17-2007, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can someone point me to a good source to read about the connection between emotions and deficiencies?

Specifically, I'm interested in anger as a manifestation of a deficiency.
#2 of 61 Old 11-17-2007, 11:55 PM

Hmmm. I'd be interested in seeing the responses you get here, too. I know there is a connection between the colon (contents) and mood.
#3 of 61 Old 11-18-2007, 12:06 AM
kpb

b vit complex.....

liver bile build up--think antiquated humor concept....
built up bile means pent up aggression......

could mean acupuncture treatment or diet changes (dandelion, milk thistle, no caffeine/sugar, refined anything, yada yada)
#4 of 61 Old 11-18-2007, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was going to chime in with the liver - anger connection (like the pp). I don't have any good online resources, it's something my HCP mentioned to me (from a TCM / acupuncture perspective).
#5 of 61 Old 11-18-2007, 02:20 AM

There is a comment in NT and I can't remember what the nutrient was that she was talking about--but it's something along the lines that a tendency toward quick anger is an early sign of a deficiency--I'm thinking it's a B vitamin, but I'm not sure. You might dig around the subject index or re-read the chapters on vitamins and minerals; I'm sure you'll find it there.

Feelings of anger are associated with either deficiency or stagnation of the liver in Traditional Chinese Medicine. I have had significant issues with anger that have improved as I've worked to detoxify my body and take some of the load off of my liver.
#6 of 61 Old 11-18-2007, 02:32 AM

I don't have any solid research or facts for you ...but I got upset at my husband tonight for something that wasn't as big of a deal that I made it out to be. I rarely get like this, only occasionally with PMS. Then I started crying.

I did eat bad this week- as in donuts 2 days in a row at work :, etc. In addition to the bad things affecting me I also wasn't taking in the proper nutrients because I was filling my stomach with other things.

But my intuition says that I need more of the proper fats to heal after eating the wrong fats. Also, that I need to take advantage of the bounty of the season (kale, squash, etc) and the nutrients it brings.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#7 of 61 Old 11-18-2007, 02:34 AM

I don't have any solid research or facts for you ...but I got upset at my husband tonight for something that wasn't as big of a deal that I made it out to be. I rarely get like this, only occasionally with PMS. Then I started crying.

I did eat bad this week- as in donuts 2 days in a row at work :, etc. In addition to the bad things affecting me I also wasn't taking in the proper nutrients because I was filling my stomach with other things.

My intuition says that I need more of the proper fats to heal after eating the wrong fats. Also, that I need to take advantage of the bounty of the season (kale, squash, etc) and the nutrients it brings.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#8 of 61 Old 11-18-2007, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

I just don't know exactly where to start with that.

Or so many other things.

Having to pay this game of what's more important is really draining, I have to admit.
#9 of 61 Old 11-18-2007, 10:16 AM

i just can't. stop. learning!!

so i threw two big tantrums this week over food and i thought it was pregnancy hormones...now i'm thinking i have some sort of deficiency or problem with my liver?!

a couple of questions (don't mean to hijack this thread!!!):

what causes liver stagnation? what foods help/hurt the liver?

i've been trying to increase my intake of meat since i don't consume dairy (for more protein, fat and b vitamins) and i've been more aggressive since doing so. i was told by a non-TF person that meat eating causes aggression and constipation, so i should let up a little. i'm sooooooooo confused!

is it ok to take a b-complex vitamin to help with aggression, or is eating liver pate' the only true solution? i hate liver pate!!!!

perhaps i should post this in a separate thread...
#10 of 61 Old 11-18-2007, 10:54 AM

Get thyself a copy of The Mood Cure or The Diet Cure. Sounds like exactly what you are looking for. Julia Ross links emotional instability with amino acid "deficiency". Very much written from a nutritional healing, TF view point.

Rage, or intense anger, is often a sign of adrenal stress, as well.
#11 of 61 Old 11-18-2007, 12:21 PM

You might want to check out Amanda Rose's (a.k.a Galeforce on this board) site that covers nutrient defficiencies relation to depression from a traditional foods POV :

http://www.rebuild-from-depression.com/index.html

Her book will be available in early 2008. She sent some final drafts out to to members on this forum and I can tell you it is an excellent book.

Moneca
#12 of 61 Old 11-18-2007, 02:46 PM

I have read where magnesium deficiency is very common, and can lead to intense chocolate cravings - which usually coincide with intense, unexpainable urges to hurt people - that all happen the day before my period.
This is from Robin Sampson's blog (heart of wisdom):
Do you have Chocolate Cravings? PMS? Headaches?

I recently had abdominal surgery. In the recovery room I had heart problems and a cardiologist was called in. He found I had an extreme magnesium deficiency causing my heart of miss beats.

I have been seeing a hematologist every week for two years trying to get my anemia under control before having the abdominal surgery. You would think the hematologist would know about the magnesium deficiency but no one did.

During my recuperation I‘ve been researching magnesium deficiency –which happens to be one of the largest problems in America. Our food is deficient in many minerals because we don’t follow God’s laws of letting the land rest the 7th year. Magnesium deficiency is the number 1 reason for cardiovascular disease and heart attacks.

68% of Americans are magnesium deficient!!! According to the National Center for Health Statistics, 68% of US adults consume less than the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of magnesium, and 19% consume less than 50% of the RDA. A large segment of the U.S. population may have chronic latent magnesium deficiency that has been linked to conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure (hypertension), premenstrual syndrome (PMS), and psychiatric disorders…among a staggering list of conditions. A study conducted at the Intensive Care Unit of Los Angeles County/University of Southern California Medical Center determined that 65% of critically ill patients were magnesium-deficient.

Magnesium deficiency is responsible for many PMS symptoms including irritability and chocolate cravings. Ounce for ounce chocolate has more magnesium than any other food. As irresistible urge to eat chocolate is a sure sign of magnesium deficiency. magnesium supplementation taken one week before menstruation may alleviate PMS-related mood swings. In addition, a study in The Journal of Women's Health found that 200 mg a day of magnesium reduced PMS fluid retention, CENSORED: Please report this message to Admin ASAP! tenderness and bloating by 40 percent.

I have always had bad PMS and chocolate cravings. Amazing--Chocolate cravings will vanish once there is enough magnesium in the diet. Magnesium is found in nuts, whole grains, seafood and green vegetables (foods not found in the traditional American fast food diet). Pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are full of magnesium.

I copied and pasted a few things below from various sites. Type in "magnesium deficiency" at google.com for tons more info:

Magnesium is needed for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm steady, supports a healthy immune system, and keeps bones strong. A lack of it can cause depression, lack of energy, food cravings and headaches. Magnesium also helps regulate blood sugar levels, promotes normal blood pressure, and is known to be involved in energy metabolism and protein synthesis. There is an increased interest in the role of magnesium in preventing and managing disorders such as hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes.

Hyperactivity and ADD
Studies have also found that magnesium supplementation decreases hyperactivity in children with attention deficit disorder. Therefore, magnesium supplementation may be a useful therapy in the management of attention deficit disorder, irrespective of other emotional disorders.

Stress:
Stress—whether it’s emotional (anxiety, panic, depression) or physical (exertion or trauma)—is a known factor in magnesium depletion. Stress, combined with magnesium deficiency, further increases the risk of heart disease, sudden death heart attack, stroke, and hypertension. In addition, excessively high intakes of dietary fat and calcium (from a poor diet), combined with stress, can actually accelerate the process of magnesium depletion. A magnesium supplement is strongly encouraged in cases of chronic stress to protect against cardiovascular disease, hypertension, stroke, and sudden death.

SOURCES
Green vegetables such as spinach are good sources of magnesium because the center of the chlorophyll molecule (which gives green vegetables their color) contains magnesium. Some legumes (beans and peas), nuts and seeds, and whole, unrefined grains are also good sources of magnesium. Refined grains are generally low in magnesium. When white flour is refined and processed, the magnesium-rich germ and bran are removed. Bread made from whole grain wheat flour provides more magnesium than bread made from white refined flour. Tap water can be a source of magnesium, but the amount varies according to the water supply. Water that naturally contains more minerals is described as "hard". "Hard" water contains more magnesium than "soft" water.

I'm taking 400 MG twice a day (Dr. prescription) as well as changing my diet. At this point I can't recommend the best form to take--probably something from a natural health food store or vitamin shop.

These are the recommended daily requirements of magnesium (remember the typical American diet will not provide this).

* Children
o 1-3 years old: 80 milligrams
o 4-8 years old: 130 milligrams
o 9-13 years old: 240 milligrams
o 14-18 years old (boys): 410 milligrams
o 14-18 years old (girls): 360 milligrams
* Adult females: 310 milligrams
* Pregnancy: 360-400 milligrams
* Breastfeeding women: 320-360 milligrams
* Adult males: 400 milligrams

Several books are available at Amazon testifying to the miracle of magnesium
http://tinyurl.com/ylpajc

Hope this helps someone else.

Blessings,
Robin

PS Wheat germ also contains an abundance magnesium and phosphorous, lecithin, riboflavin, calcium, , selenium and zinc, as well as vitamin E.

Wheat germ contains more iron and potassium than almost any other food. A 3.5 ounce portion contains 9.5 milligrams (mg) of iron, 827 mg of potassium, 2 mg of vitamin B1 and 4.2 mg of vitamin B3.

Its considered a power food. You can bake with it, sprinkle it, or cook with it to add a healthy crunch to virtually any recipe. I put it in oatmeal and cottage cheese.

Wheat germ is the part of the wheat berry responsible for the germination and development of the new wheat plant. It contains 23 nutrients.

There are more nutrients per ounce in wheat germ than in any other grain product or vegetable. Almost a complete food, one 3.5 ounce serving of wheat germ provides 27 grams of protein -- more protein per volume than whole wheat and most meats.
and it tastes good.
#13 of 61 Old 11-18-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmama33 View Post
Get thyself a copy of The Mood Cure or The Diet Cure. Sounds like exactly what you are looking for. Julia Ross links emotional instability with amino acid "deficiency". Very much written from a nutritional healing, TF view point.

Rage, or intense anger, is often a sign of adrenal stress, as well.
:

I was also thinking B vitamins. With the condition pyroluria (which I have) you do not absorb B6 and zinc well and anger is a symptom of that. I also had adrenal stress. I used to really struggle with intense feelings of anger and angry outbursts. I treated my adrenals and still take extra B6 and zinc for pyroluria and I am way more mellow now. I think all the animal protein (amino acids) and liver (Bs) are a big part of me staying mentally well at this point.

Gale Force's book is great too.
Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#14 of 61 Old 11-18-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukiaustin View Post
is it ok to take a b-complex vitamin to help with aggression, or is eating liver pate' the only true solution? i hate liver pate!!!!
Nutritional yeast is loaded with B vitamins. It's fortified with B12 usually but is a good natural source of the others, especially B6. It's listed as a superfood in the superfoods index of NT. I used TONS of it over the summer, tried to get it every day, in prep for my current pregnancy and I think it's made a huge difference.

And--cook liver for your kids, so that they will grow up liking it, even if you don't! My mom used to make liver for us when we were kids and I'm sure that's why I like it so much now. Although I've also read on this board that an intense aversion to liver may be a sign of B vitamin deficiencies in your body, though I'm not sure how that works.
#15 of 61 Old 11-18-2007, 08:56 PM

A third vote for The Mood Cure and The Diet Cure - excellent resources to have around!
#16 of 61 Old 11-18-2007, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I read in a book about natural birth that zinc deficiency can cause a lack of maternal instinct. Studies on animals who abandon their young often show them to be zinc deficient, apparently. And zinc is also supposed to help with PPD.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#17 of 61 Old 11-18-2007, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Diabetics often become angry or negative when their blood sugar is low.
#18 of 61 Old 11-18-2007, 10:31 PM

I've been reading Kathleen DesMaisons book "Potatoes, Not Prozac". While it's definitely not TF, it does explain the intricate way in which carbohydrates can affect our brain chemistry. It's very interesting! I'm not really reading it for her meal advice, but I am interested in observing how various foods affect my emotional state and physical state. The book is specifically aimed at people who are sugar sensitive, which I definitely am. On top of which I have pcos, so I'm working hard to combat my food demons and find a way to eat that really works for my body.
#19 of 61 Old 11-19-2007, 01:03 AM

NT recommends beet kvass for supporting the liver. I've been drinking it off and on for a while, and while I must admit I haven't noticed a difference when taking it or not (either day-by-day or as a longer-term trend), I think it will take longer for me to start feeling better. But I figure it's not bad for me--it's beets, and it's fermented, what's not to like?
#20 of 61 Old 11-19-2007, 01:09 AM

B12, I just looked it up in NT. P 38 I think. And early sign of B12 deficiency is a tendency toward irrational anger.
#21 of 61 Old 11-19-2007, 02:43 AM

Well, we have a gluten-free house, plus I just went to an awesome lecture about gluten. So my view is skewed. But, this must be included in this discussion. There is a huge number of people walking around with gluten problems that don't know it.

If you do have a gluten sensitivity, then you are not properly absorbing much. That will create deficiencies. It can also create emotional disturbances, because our gut is largely responsible for our emotions. If our guts can't create the right chemicals (seratonin being one) then our emotional status changes.

You can throw lots of different vitamins & minerals into your body, but it will not absorb if you have gut damage from gluten.
#22 of 61 Old 11-21-2007, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

I cooked up a pound of chicken liver yeasterday. I feel a lot better.

I would like to eat liver several times a week but I don't have a regular source for pastured livers. I have two more pounds in the freezer and that's it. So, I'm going to take a B complex and see how that does it. I'm also going to get some of the nutritional yeast variants, I just have to find which ones my HFS carries and which ones are worth it.

I would love to see a TCM practitioner but there isn't one here in town and driving to St. Louis or Kansas City isn't an option. It's definitely on my list.

It's scaring me how may symptoms I have, pointing to so many different systems in the body.

Re: gluten
I have gone down the 'no bread' route before and I seem to do a lot better. My PCOS symptoms improve when I go low carb and going off bread used to be pretty much low carb since I grew up with bread at every meal.

I don't seem to be disciplined enough to go completely off sugar and bread this time around. I have all these reasons that individually aren't much but they somehow add up for me. It's a crazy spiral, I don't cook because I'm down but I bet I'm (at least in part) down because I keep eating bad food.

Thanks for the reminder, Pilgrim.
#23 of 61 Old 11-21-2007, 01:08 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#24 of 61 Old 11-21-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Well, we have a gluten-free house, plus I just went to an awesome lecture about gluten. So my view is skewed. But, this must be included in this discussion. There is a huge number of people walking around with gluten problems that don't know it.

If you do have a gluten sensitivity, then you are not properly absorbing much. That will create deficiencies. It can also create emotional disturbances, because our gut is largely responsible for our emotions. If our guts can't create the right chemicals (seratonin being one) then our emotional status changes.

You can throw lots of different vitamins & minerals into your body, but it will not absorb if you have gut damage from gluten.

I wanted to reiterate this, as this was totally the case for me. I had an undiagnosed gluten sensitivity for years and had horrible nutrient absorbption (how do you spell that?) because of it.
#25 of 61 Old 11-21-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
Re: gluten
I have gone down the 'no bread' route before and I seem to do a lot better. My PCOS symptoms improve when I go low carb and going off bread used to be pretty much low carb since I grew up with bread at every meal.

I don't seem to be disciplined enough to go completely off sugar and bread this time around. I have all these reasons that individually aren't much but they somehow add up for me. It's a crazy spiral, I don't cook because I'm down but I bet I'm (at least in part) down because I keep eating bad food.
Check out any of the books by Kathleen DesMaisons or Dr. Mercola's "Total Health Program". These books combined have helped me learn how to tackle the enormous obstacle called grains/sugars in my life. Just doing a little at a time, but I am doing soooo much better. And I can tell a huge difference in my emotional health when I'm being more careful. I have pcos, too, and any grains/beans really seem to bother me. I know sugars do, too, but I'm trying harder to cut those down and replace them with more natural sugars.
#26 of 61 Old 11-21-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenok18 View Post
I've been reading Kathleen DesMaisons book "Potatoes, Not Prozac". While it's definitely not TF, it does explain the intricate way in which carbohydrates can affect our brain chemistry. It's very interesting! I'm not really reading it for her meal advice, but I am interested in observing how various foods affect my emotional state and physical state. The book is specifically aimed at people who are sugar sensitive, which I definitely am. On top of which I have pcos, so I'm working hard to combat my food demons and find a way to eat that really works for my body.

You can find much of the same info from Des Maisons' books at her website (Radiant Recovery dot com), in the Resources section.

I followed her plan (loosely) for about two years to change my eating habits and get sugar out of my life. While there are things I don't like about her plan and how that website is run (the forum part), I can say that the plan is a good place to start for people who want to break their dependency on sugar. And while it is not TF, it can dovetail nicely with TF.

Iris
#27 of 61 Old 11-21-2007, 06:04 PM

What is the difference between "gluten sensitivity" and "gluten intolerance" and Celiacs disease?

I definitely have sensitivity issues with sugar/sweeteners and white flour products. And sometimes I wonder if I have a gluten sensitivity.

Earlier this year I ask my doc to test me for Celiac's disease. She ordered two tests: Gliadian antibodies IgA and IgG. My levels on both came back at <3, with the normal reference range of <11. Were those the right tests to order? Does it mean anything that I did show some antibodies present, even though they were in the "normal" range? At the time of the testing, I had only been eating whole grain products, and not much of them. I hadn't had any white flour products for a long time, and later I wondered if that might skew the tests somehow.

How do people find out if they have a gluten sensitivity?

Iris
#28 of 61 Old 11-21-2007, 07:10 PM

I think that a 2 week elimination diet and challenge would show you for sure if you were intolerant to the gluten. I also had the IgA test exept mine came back very high and I was eating the occasional Ezequiel bread at that point. Gluten makes me feel sleepy and too full. My best friend did a challenge and felt sleepy and very bloated.

I think the IgA test would come back higher if you had Celiac. I am pretty sure it is one of the indicators. Then you go in for a more involved test (intestinal biospy?) which I never did.

Hopefully someone can explain the different levels of gluten intolerance because I am kind of confused on that one myself...

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#29 of 61 Old 11-22-2007, 12:37 AM

For myself, magnesium is what calms my rage. B vitamins give me more energy, and joie de vivre. For postpartum issues, I took a 'lesser' Carlson clo, it was what I had. But the extra efa's from the larger dose really seemed to help. Amino acids help me some, too. Right now I've been focusing on iodine and selenium, which have helped my thyroid sluggishness. We're poor. So I can rarely afford everything I need all at once. But when I forget the magnesium, the rage is worse. Without b vitamins or iodine, energy level is down. I do have liver stagnation, which exacerbates everything (esp. my oversupply), but my accupuncturist forgot to renew his license in my state, so I haven't been able to work on that lately (he's a friends' brother, so I could afford him). For temporary 'feel good', you can take 5-htp, a metabolite of serotonin, Sam-e (expensive) or inositol (a b vitamin, getting sleepy, sorry) and there's an awesome thread in the Mental Health forum about postpartum depression. Magnesium citrate (Natural Calm) is great.
#30 of 61 Old 11-22-2007, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks provocativa. I was just thinking about magnesium and wondering when the last time I took it was.. heh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page