vertical ridges on fingernails--deficiency? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-19-2007, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have thin vertical ridges running up and down my fingernails--any idea if this is a symptom of a deficiency of some sort?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 11-19-2007, 05:31 PM

I have heard that is a sign of thyroid problems, but when I looked it up, this is what I found...http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nails/WO00055&slide=1
and http://wi.essortment.com/fingernailsnutr_rjbo.htm
#3 of 12 Old 11-19-2007, 05:38 PM

I've had that before, and this is the blurb that I had saved on my computer about it:

Nail textures: Vertical ridges that appear on the nail can indicate disorders as simple as iron deficiency, poor absorption of vitamins and nutrients, overall poor health or they could indicate something as serious as kidney trouble. (So, you see why consulting your physician is so important.) These vertical ridges, as well as bumpy nails, can also suggest that one is prone to developing arthritis. Ridges running horizontally across the nail can indicate physical or mental stress.

Interestingly, I noticed the ridges during a time in my life when my nutrition was a bit sub-par. With nutritional improvement, I have not seen them since.

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
#4 of 12 Old 11-19-2007, 06:24 PM

I've had ridges since my earlist memories, and so does my dad. I always thought it was just a trait......
#5 of 12 Old 11-19-2007, 06:28 PM

Same here - my grandmother had them, my mom has them, I have them. I used to worry about it but I feel physically great so I think everything must be ok.
#6 of 12 Old 11-19-2007, 08:28 PM

I have a few but I am pretty sure I don't have any deficiencies currently. My dad had very pronounced ridges and had quite bad arthritis, so I think I'll probably develop it too when I'm in my sixties.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#7 of 12 Old 11-20-2007, 02:47 AM

I have ridges but I thought it was because I peel and bite my nails. I must quit to see if they come back.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#8 of 12 Old 11-20-2007, 03:28 AM

About six years ago I noticed that my nails looked dirty, smudged, and had vertical ridges. This was after going to the hospital for heart problems. Doctors couldn't tell me why my nails looked like this. (And I do have rheumatoid arthritis, too.)

Two years ago I started with NT and, although not truly 100% dedicated to it, I do primarily make my own bone broths, make crispy nuts, eat good meat, drink raw milk and kefir, etc. These last few months the worst of the ridges on my thumbnail, which looked as if dirt has gotten smushed into it, has been decreasing as the nail has grown out. The black is only on the top half of the nail, not on the newest grow out. I am so excited about this.

Somewhere along the way a nutritionist said in an offhand way, "Oh, that is malabsorption." That was my lightbulb moment and what led me to Sally Fallon and beyond. Although some of you don't like Fallon, she was the beginning of a wonderful journey for me!
#9 of 12 Old 11-20-2007, 03:52 PM

I am fairly new to TF and not all the way there by any means. I have always had beautiful, hard nails - that look fake - (The only reason I can say this is because I am VERY painfully aware of my other flaws and faults). I am in the detox faze of yeast and my nails are now peeling and keep chipping -
Does anyone know if this is normal? or if it could also be a deficiency?
Thanks for any input...
Sara
#10 of 12 Old 11-20-2007, 06:59 PM

It seems like I heard somewhere that chipping and peeling nails is a protein defiency. I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me.

Interesting bit of trivia here, fingernails grow 4 times as fast as toe nails.
#11 of 12 Old 11-20-2007, 07:00 PM

Vertical ridges can also be due to trauma in the nail bed. In my case, my eczema has caused some pitting and ridges in my nails.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#12 of 12 Old 11-21-2007, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrshawwk View Post
Interesting bit of trivia here, fingernails grow 4 times as fast as toe nails.
Just to take this thread even further from the OP, finger nails grow faster than toe nails because they have better circulation than toes. Exciting stuff, isn't it? I'm glad because I really dislike cutting toe nails.

User Tag List