I had a bad reaction to Kefir - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-25-2007, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got some kefir grains from a local lady a week ago. I have been drinking raw milk from a farmer for over a year. So, I have been making kefir, my first few batches smelled a bit sour. I drank one cup a day for two days.

I had bad diarrhea. Then I researched about it and I cut back to 1/4 cup of kefir for two days. I still had the diarrhea, so I stopped yesterday.

I am wondering what to do now? Should I wait a while? How long and how much do I start to drink and when do I increase? I am definitely not allergic to raw milk. My DH drank some and did not have a problem. Weird.

Also, we have too much kefir now, what do I do with my grains? I want to stop making some kefir for awhile. Thanks.
#2 of 7 Old 11-25-2007, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I know kefir grains can be stored in the fridge (in milk) for about a week. I'm not sure about longer-term storage.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#3 of 7 Old 11-25-2007, 06:06 PM

Have you had any problems with fermented foods, water kefir, or kombucha (assuming you've tried any of these)? It could be that your gut flora just needs to adjust to the good bacteria in kefir, or it could be that you are sensitive to a naturally occurring food chemical called amines...fermented foods are high in amines. I had 10 days of horrible diarrhea after drinking a few cups a day of water kefirs, and I eventually figured out that it was because I am sensitive to amines. It took a good week for my stomach to recover even after I'd entirely stopped the water kefirs, and it took a couple of weeks after that before I could tolerate fermented foods again. Then smaller amounts of fermented foods gave me bad gas (it took me a long time to figure out why)..qaA

Anyhow, you might want to wait for a bit to try kefir again. When you start it up again, try with small amounts (maybe even a couple of tablespoons a day at first). If you still have diarrhea from that, or if small amounts are okay but you get diarrhea when you try to drink larger amounts, I think there's a good chance that you are sensitive to amines.
#4 of 7 Old 11-25-2007, 07:24 PM

It is very important to start slow and in small amounts. Initially I had the same reaction.
#5 of 7 Old 11-25-2007, 09:06 PM

I have the same reaction and I haven't figured out why. I keep trying to reintroduce it but it happens every time. I drink kombucha regularly so I didn't think it was from an imbalanced gut.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#6 of 7 Old 11-25-2007, 10:18 PM

I had the same reaction but it stopped a few days after. It's known to do that sort of thing for those whose intestinal flora is messed up.

I'm sorry you had such a reaction. If you want to try again, we'll have to figure out why you're having such a bad reaction and in order to do that we'll have to get a lot more info.

Have you had store bought kefir with no problems?
#7 of 7 Old 11-25-2007, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the hug quietserena I have never tried store bought kefir. I just brewed my first batch of kombucha so I am having a tiny 1/4 cup today. I have not had any fermented foods.

The lady I bought the grains from had a cheese making class and was selling scobies, kefir grains, homemade sauerkraut, etc. So maybe it was too much for my gut when I had the kefir and sauerkraut . But I only had a small amount of the kraut.

I think I will go with 1 Tablespoon of Kefir and work my way up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page