Soaked flour and bread machine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-28-2007, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK everyone. I need help developing a soaked flour recipe for my bread maker. Anyone have any good ideas? I'm going to try my regular recipe with organic whole wheat, but just use the water portion (with added homemade whey) to soak and then throw it in the bread maker. I have a feeling it will be bad, though. I'm also interested in everyone's experiences with Spelt. Does it make a more smooth "white bread" type of loaf? My kids are pretty picky...

PS I'm open to having the maker make the dough and then oven bake it if necessary...

Thanks!
Jen

Jen- married to best friend DH and mom to DS (8) , DD (5): 3 goldfish.gif, 3 chicken3.gif, and one great dog2.gif
#2 of 13 Old 11-29-2007, 04:29 PM

how did your bread turn out?

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#3 of 13 Old 11-29-2007, 10:50 PM

Sorry, I can't help out. My soaked flour bread machine recipes have all been a disaster, an unedible disaster. If you come up with one that works, let us know.
#4 of 13 Old 11-29-2007, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
what is soaked flour?
#5 of 13 Old 12-01-2007, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Well, haven't made the bread yet- been horribly sick and haven't been able to buy some fresh flour. I'll let you know!

Anyone else have luck with soaked flour in a bread maker?

Jen- married to best friend DH and mom to DS (8) , DD (5): 3 goldfish.gif, 3 chicken3.gif, and one great dog2.gif
#6 of 13 Old 12-05-2007, 04:09 AM

ing because i'd like to know the answer too!

OP: have you made that bread yet?

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
#7 of 13 Old 12-07-2007, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm finally recovered and the bread process is underway. I have my doubts about how it will turn out, though. I placed my organic whole wheat flour in my bread maker with homemade buttermilk (the non-cultured type- just the buttermilk that I collect when making my raw butter). I put the amount of buttermilk in that the recipe calls for, except the recipe asks for water. Also, I did this after making a batch of butter and left the reminants of the butter in the pan to mix in the bread (my bread maker also churns butter, obviously!). I put the bread maker to "dough" and allowed it to mix around until I got a good dough ball looking thing. Now I'm just letting it sit for around 24hours. At that point I plan to add the rest of the ingredients and maybe a little extra water to moisten it up a bit- we'll see. I'll let ya'll know how it goes!

#8 of 13 Old 12-10-2007, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the bread was a bust (as predicted). It did smell good, though! I had too much liquid, so next time I'll use less water after the soak is complete. Anyone have anything exciting to add or good experiences?

:

#9 of 13 Old 12-11-2007, 08:12 PM

sorry to hear that, I was hoping you would have good results.

I'm going to start my first batch ever of sourdough spelt bread. I won't be using a machine. I think I give up on bread machines.
#10 of 13 Old 12-11-2007, 08:31 PM

what kind of maker do you have? I have a zojorishi....as long as you can open the lid while kneeding to add flour if needed it should work.

I've always made mine in the bread maker because I hate the mess, and it's always turned out delish!

Are you wanting 100% whole grain or would you use a small bit of white flour? Are you using commercial yeast or trying to do sourdough?

I don't actually measure much, but about 4-4.5 cups of flour is a good sized 2pounds loaf. I make two 1.5 (about) pound loaves at a time in teh breadmaker and bake in the oven....I use about 7 cups total flour I would guess

I don't have time to fully explain my process right now....I use spelt btw this is basically what I do I can try and get a more exact recipe if anyone cares

I think for mine you have to be willing to sprinkle a little unbleached white flour or unsoaked flour ( I do white, probably a cups worth for 2 loaves) because it jiust works better

I melt the butter, I do half buttermilk half warm water (you could use yoru whey), add the flour and stir, don't use the full amount of flour you'd need fo ryour loaf....next day dissolve yeast in a small amount water and your honey, let foam/proof. Add your soaked flour, salt. This is where the white flour comes in. I've tried to do 100% soaked in the breadmaker it just doesn't come out good, and actually even if I do it by hand I don't like it. I find it turns out better if I do as I said above, and after the yeasty proofed water and soaked flour are combined start sprinkling white flour untill it's a dough ball, then let it kneed. If this make sense I can try to get a more exact recipe (as I've been meaning to do anyways).
#11 of 13 Old 12-12-2007, 01:22 AM

425LisaMarie i would a more exact recipe as i am searching for the perfect bread machine loaf! i added some white flour (to my formally all whole wheat recipe) and it's finally not collapsing on itself... (and turning out quite tasty!) now i want to add the "soaked flour" part of the equation...help me evolve!

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
#12 of 13 Old 12-12-2007, 12:56 PM

We (DH and I) make soaked flour bread in the bread machine but we soak the flour separately then add the soaked flour and all the other ingredients to the bread machine when we are ready to start the mixing process.

Here is the recipe I posted a while back:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=752776

Not using enough flour or using too much water definitely causes loaf failure.

I haven't used spelt but we use white whole wheat. It makes pretty good sandwich bread.
#13 of 13 Old 12-12-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post
We (DH and I) make soaked flour bread in the bread machine but we soak the flour separately then add the soaked flour and all the other ingredients to the bread machine when we are ready to start the mixing process.

Here is the recipe I posted a while back:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=752776

Not using enough flour or using too much water definitely causes loaf failure.

I haven't used spelt but we use white whole wheat. It makes pretty good sandwich bread.
THis is almost EXACTLY what I do. I use butter though, and sometimes I use rapadura with a little molasses to make a richer falvour. These are great measurements to follow though!

I make two loaves in my zojorushi BM at a time and bake in the oven

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page