TF Pregnancy Club - December Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 136 Old 12-18-2007, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey y'all,

I just got this post from a friend on my local NN group. At the bottom, there is a caution about taking fish oils before surgery because of the blood clotting thing. I wonder if I should stop taking the CLO until a week after the baby comes? (I'm 38 weeks, planning a homebirth.) What do y'all think?

"I found this a while back. I cannot attest to its legitimacy, but it's a
neat chart. The dosages are higher than I would have imagined:"

http://www.fishoil4health.com/fish-oil-dosage.html

Condition Specific Fish Oil Dosages

* Aging 1,000 mg twice a day
* Angina 2,000 mg fish oils 3 times a day
* Arrhythmia 1,000 mg 3 times a day
* Asthma 1,000 mg 3 times a day
* Cancer 3 capsules twice a day
* Crohn's Disease 2,000 mg twice a day
* Diabetes 2,000 mg 3 times a day
* Eczema 1,000 mg 3 times a day
* Gout 1,000 mg 3 times a day
* Heart Disease Prevention 1,000 mg 3 times a day
* High Blood Pressure 1,000 mg 3 times a day
* Lupus 2,000 mg 3 times a day
* Psoriasis 2,000 mg 3 times a day
* Raynaud's disease 1,000 mg 4 times a day
* Rheumatoid Arthritis 1000 mg (2 capsules) containing 600 mg EPA/DHA,
twice a day
* Skin Health 1,000 mg a day with food
* Stroke 1,000 mg 3 times a day

Note: Because omega-3s inhibit blood clotting, avoid taking fish oil
supplements two weeks before and one week after surgery. Consult a doctor
before taking the supplements if you have a chronic blood disorder.
#62 of 136 Old 12-18-2007, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

newcastlemama - Yes, it is very exciting...unfortunately we don't have everything we need just yet. We did have the birthkit and the majority of the extra supplies by 36 weeks. Really the only thing left is the stuff I need for the birth pool. We're borrowing a stock tank from my mw that she lets moms use for free. Unfortunately, we have a non-standard faucet so getting an adaptor that will work is really frustrating. I ended up in tears (I'm so emotional lately) after leaving the hardware store yesterday because they looked at me like I was crazy and told me I'd have to go to a plumbing supply store.

Yesterday was NOT a good day. I can't believe my hormones are this crazy right now. Is that a sign of something? Luckily my mom (all on her own w/out knowing how my day was going) decided that she and my dad were going to pick up ds and take him for dinner and some last minute shopping. I can't tell you how wonderful that was! I was worried a little b/c dh had to work so late last night and I had NO idea how I was going to make it until he got home.

Today is a bit better, but mostly because I gave dh a list of all the things I wanted to get done (at his request) and he told me that he'd take care of it all. I even got a couple of faucet adaptors that *might* work with our faucet. AND an MDCer gave me another suggestion so I'll be printing that off just in case we actually do have to go get something from the hardware store.

Ok...well....I've rambled enough about me.

Pilgrim - I don't think it would hurt!
#63 of 136 Old 12-18-2007, 11:23 PM

So it turns out I am having a BOY!:

I am so bewildered. We saw balls today at the OB/GYN. Baby still is curled up, but was now head down and showed some man parts. It is so weird because we couldn't see anything of the sort last visit! No wee wee but definite balls.

So I guess I will be either putting away my nb fluffymail chipmunk AIO, or still using it

So my doctor is okay, she is in the same practice with the doctor I had last time around who is fabulous. I have an appt booked with him after one more with her. She seems a little more uptight and mainstream( acting concerned about folic acid since this is my third baby,and said she didn't know that she agreed with me about raw milk) But for the most part she is cool,a dn very respectful so far. I did refuse the glucose test, then she pricked my finger and my level was 84. So I was in the clear. So she asked if I was refusing tests adn thigns because I didn't believe in them or because I felt I was healthy- and that is when I told her about the freezer full of grassfed beef, fridge full of organic CSA food and raw milk. I didn't mention the kombucha or raw honey or kefir for fear of her passing out or losing her words.

So my other doctor from what I remember would have been like"Cool, do what you like, just don't tell me. You look fine" If he was ever uptight about stuff, I can't recall. But all in all, the doctors are both very caring, and spend a lot of time with you.

So now I need to pack up (for next time!!!!) the girly stuff and order some boyish colors of PUL.

Anybody planning to make AIO's and need $50 PPD worth of PUL in 5 girly colors? Not joking. I need to sell it and get some boy colors

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#64 of 136 Old 12-19-2007, 12:53 AM

Pilgrim--My mom has had some clotting issues due to high levels of CLO, but I haven't had any problems. I think you should do what you're comfortable with. I used CLO through my whole pregnancy with dd, up to delivery and I did have a pretty good bleed, though it stopped right away without any intervention. It's nice that the CLO continues to be important for so many years after the baby is born, too, so missing a few weeks really isn't going to hurt anything, when you think about how the neurological development continues through early childhood.

Leilau--what a shock for you! Congratulations.
#65 of 136 Old 12-19-2007, 02:20 AM

Pilgrim-how strange as i was just thinking about this today and wondering what to do. i think i will follow the recommendation of quitting CLO 2 weeks before & 1 after as well.

Leilalu-i'm really happy you like your doc!

pampered mom-sorry you are feeling so frazzled. i hope you can find a solution for your faucets!

i'm kinda nervous because i have an interview with some midwives here tomorrow. meh, stuff like this always makes me nervous. i hope it goes well.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#66 of 136 Old 12-19-2007, 03:25 AM

I dunno about the stopping the oil. BUT, I do know that women have a better outcome rate if they have high levels of vit A. I'll have to research that. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Hey y'all,

I just got this post from a friend on my local NN group. At the bottom, there is a caution about taking fish oils before surgery because of the blood clotting thing. I wonder if I should stop taking the CLO until a week after the baby comes? (I'm 38 weeks, planning a homebirth.) What do y'all think?

"I found this a while back. I cannot attest to its legitimacy, but it's a
neat chart. The dosages are higher than I would have imagined:"

http://www.fishoil4health.com/fish-oil-dosage.html

Condition Specific Fish Oil Dosages

* Aging 1,000 mg twice a day
* Angina 2,000 mg fish oils 3 times a day
* Arrhythmia 1,000 mg 3 times a day
* Asthma 1,000 mg 3 times a day
* Cancer 3 capsules twice a day
* Crohn's Disease 2,000 mg twice a day
* Diabetes 2,000 mg 3 times a day
* Eczema 1,000 mg 3 times a day
* Gout 1,000 mg 3 times a day
* Heart Disease Prevention 1,000 mg 3 times a day
* High Blood Pressure 1,000 mg 3 times a day
* Lupus 2,000 mg 3 times a day
* Psoriasis 2,000 mg 3 times a day
* Raynaud's disease 1,000 mg 4 times a day
* Rheumatoid Arthritis 1000 mg (2 capsules) containing 600 mg EPA/DHA,
twice a day
* Skin Health 1,000 mg a day with food
* Stroke 1,000 mg 3 times a day

Note: Because omega-3s inhibit blood clotting, avoid taking fish oil
supplements two weeks before and one week after surgery. Consult a doctor
before taking the supplements if you have a chronic blood disorder.

#67 of 136 Old 12-19-2007, 12:45 PM

Hi all! I'm lurking on this thread because I'm not pregnant (though I'm hoping to be soon). I've been thinking about my birth with DS lately, and I thought I'd tell you something that I didn't know and wasn't prepared for. My midwife gave me pitocin after the birth. She said it was to stop the bleeding. I couldn't nurse much for a few hourse because DS was in distress and I had to be sewn up (DS came out with both hands behind his head). Since I had never heard of this, and I was a bit off guard (having just given birth), I didn't question this. It was HORRIBLE. I had been centered and focused and in the moment through the entire unmedicated birth. I never once felt whimpery or weak. As soon as the pitocin hit my blood stream, I said "Is THAT the pitocin?!?". I was a basketcase and had no tolerance for pain, thrashing and whimpering and in emotional distress. I had no idea this was done. I've found out since it is common practice with OB's to give all women pitocin after birth for bleeding. I would have rather had the MW suck on my nipples than give me pitocin! I also believe my postpartum difficulties were caused by hormone imabalances from the pitocin. I do NOT do well with artificial hormones (I've been on steroids). I had a great pregnancy, a good birth experience, and then CRASH. Anyway... I hope I'm not being too graphic for all you pregnant women, but I just want others to be aware that this is done, and be prepared. Somehow I missed this possible intervention in all the research I did before ds was born.
#68 of 136 Old 12-19-2007, 03:35 PM

Kb--I am sorry that you experienced that. I have read stories about intereventionist midwives that makes things worse. Doesn't midwife simply mean "with woman"? I was very blessed to find a midwife who is very non-interventionist (She said it is like an unassisted birth and they just tell you you are doing great and then clean up afterwards). I hope you get pregnant soon like you want and find a practioner who you feel safe with.

Pampered mom--s I hope all the watertub/plumbing issues get worked out. I would have started crying too.

Cod liver oil--I am going to read up more on it. I thought I read something too about the vitamin A being helpful too. I wonder if Icelandic women take it up until the birth? I know many drs/nutrionists recommend omega supplements in pregnancy and I have never heard of the recommendation to stop them before birth.

Leilalu--Wow! What a suprise now that you are having a boy!

Suzukiaustin--I am glad that you found someone to help. I use the Garden of Eating book a lot too (SInce I am gluten and dairy free)

Ally'smom--I am 32 weeks and sometimes don't feel hungry at all. A few months ago I was eating all the time. I was thinking maybe there is just less room in my belly. I also have been focusing on protein and fats because I know that the baby is filling out right now and needs all those building materials..so that is probably why I am more satiated sometimes too.

Well, I am off to finish Christmas shopping with a 3yo. Hopefully it will all go smoothly. I am not really a mall person but it will be nice to get some excercise without going in the rain. I am bringing along the GF chinese chicken salad I made last night for lunch. I was having a preganancy craving for it for the past 5 days so now it is time to dig in! :

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#69 of 136 Old 12-19-2007, 04:04 PM

My random thoughts on CLO and bleeding thing--There are cultures who eat a lot of fish/fish oils (Scandinavian for example) and I have not heard of them having bleeding problems after birth. Also, Vitamin K helps in blood clotting so maybe it is more important to make sure we have our nutrients balanced than anything. Also, it seems the A in CLO balaces out the thinning effects of the EPA/DHA---

http://www.westonaprice.org/women/three_cases.html Here a woman writes about treating her bleeding with high doses of A
Quote:
Several months after my hysterectomy, I discovered an article about a 1977 South African Medical Journal study of vitamin A as therapy for excessive bleeding. The article cited the use of vitamin A at Johannesburg General Hospital and documented a 92 percent cure rate over a ten-year period. I researched vitamin A and also discovered that the extreme vegetarian diet, recommended and promoted by my doctor, could deplete the body's stores, leading to malnutrition. And in searching through standard nutrition textbooks, I found that those with low thyroid function are unable to convert beta-carotene (found in vegetables and used in place of vitamin A in most vitamin pills) into usable vitamin A. Patients with low thyroid often have excess bleeding and are at extreme risk of unneeded surgery to the reproductive organs. In addition to this, foods that the doctor had recommended, particularly the soy foods, are known to depress thyroid function. The textbooks also state that vitamin A is needed for iron absorption and the building of blood, but I was never told to take vitamin A with my iron supplements. I discovered that the doctor in question was very familiar with the work of Dr. Price but had totally failed to heed his advice.
http://www.westonaprice.org/women/menorrhagia.html Another story of stopping excessive (menstral) bleeding with CLO.

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#70 of 136 Old 12-19-2007, 10:26 PM

kb-that is really rough! i'm so sorry. i will have to keep this in mind when i interview the midwives here.

newcastlemama-thank you so much for posting that info, that is really great.

i guess i was silly for being nervous about my appt today, i ended up having to cancel it cuz i'm an idiot. i was heating up wax in the microwave this morning and overheated it, the microwave is above the stove and i'm short...i underestimated how much wax was in the jar and ended up accidentally tilting it and spilling all over my hand and wrist. now i have 1st and 2nd degree burns (i think, but my dad said that the ones on my wrist sounded like 3rd degree burns.) they don't hurt too bad now and i'm trying to treat them good so hopefully they will heal well. i'm such a dork.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#71 of 136 Old 12-21-2007, 08:56 PM

Hey there, I feel like I'm having a bit of a crisis. CLO is making me totally sick right now. I've taken CLO religiously off the spoon for most of my adult life, including my pregnancy with dd, without any problems except burping, which I control with digestive enzymes. In the past few weeks, though, it is killing me to get it down. The taste suddenly seems absolutely horrible and I burp and feel neasueated for hours afterwards--which is really weird given that I haven't really had morning sickness since about week 8. Today I tried hiding it in a smoothie, and it was fine going down but I was literally burping CLO 6 hours later. What the heck???

Do you think I should try stopping for a few weeks and then restarting? I loathe the thought of that during pregnancy (I'm 18 weeks), but I don't know what to do.

And, I don't think this is coincidental, I had the same reaction to eating liver earlier this week. I eat chopped beef liver on toast once per week for breakfast and usually love it. I enjoyed eating it this week but had the same upset tummy and burps for hours afterward.
#72 of 136 Old 12-21-2007, 09:58 PM

Tiffany, that's a tough call. Could you take cold-pressed flax oil for a couple weeks and see if that works better for you? It's not as ideal as CLO but still good for you.
#73 of 136 Old 12-22-2007, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
Tiffany, that's a tough call. Could you take cold-pressed flax oil for a couple weeks and see if that works better for you? It's not as ideal as CLO but still good for you.
That's a good idea. I have some in the fridge because I always mix it into my smoothies. I've never had a problem with it, so, yeah, maybe I will try that for a few weeks and see how that feels. thanks!
#74 of 136 Old 12-23-2007, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to pop in and say that we did finally get the whole sink adaptor figured out and even picked up the very last item on our list on Thursday. Have had lots of bh lately and some show today so it looks like all of that may have just come in time.

Ally'smom - food aversions are tough! I go through bouts of them with all sorts of things, but most especially with raw milk. Usually for me when it happens I stay away from the food for awhile and try again a few weeks later. No use making yourself feel ill!
#75 of 136 Old 12-24-2007, 02:51 PM

Ally'smom--I had to take a break from CLO too for a few weeks. It was making me really sick feeling (nausea, heartburn). If you have been taking it your entire adult life then you are probably doing well. Try again after a while and it will probably work out. Maybe try and incorporate more foods that have A and D if you can tolerate them in the meantime. I have also heard of people taking CLO capsules so you could try that too see if it makes a difference.

I am off to finish doing my Christmas stuff now!
Jen

#76 of 136 Old 12-25-2007, 07:08 PM

I get to join the TF Pregnancy Club! I got a BFP last night I am due the beginning of September.

I am SO excited! This will be my first TF pregnancy, I am nervous about staying on track, but have a couple of teenagers that can cook, so that should help.

I also get super bad hyperemesis (nausea and vomiting constantly) but have found that hydrocortisone helps almost all women with hyperemesis. I am already taking HC now because of adrenal fatigue, so I am hopeful that this pregnancy will be different.

What do you all do for snacks to take when you are away from home? I am already wanting to eat constantly and know I will need good snacks or I will end up eating lots of the wrong stuff.

Tessa, mama to M (93) B(94) T (05) G (08) and waiting for the arrival of ? on 10/23
#77 of 136 Old 12-26-2007, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats MamaTessa!! I'm hoping this pregnancy goes much easier for you!
#78 of 136 Old 12-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Banned

well, now i can join.

we're officially moving forward with the "i'm pregnant" idea seeing as my period is two weeks late and everything is going great.

i don't know if i have a "bug" right now or if it's morning sickness, but i'm gassy, constipated, and i feel pukey in the morning if i don't have some rice with broth and an egg dropped in (which i cook while stirring and it's yummy).

so, we're getting used to making it the night before, and then my husband will reheat it so that i can eat first thing in the morning--btw, something i couldn't do before without throwing up.

i don't think it's morning sickness, but there it is.

i'm not taking CLO--can't bring mself to do it--but i am taking flax and hemp which should help. i started with raw milk as well, and of course i'm doing raw cheese and pastured eggs.

everything is going very well. diet is nice and high in fat and protien and overall, i feel good. getting lots of veggies too.
#79 of 136 Old 12-26-2007, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

zoebird
#80 of 136 Old 12-26-2007, 05:12 PM

Congrats MamaTessa! & Congrats, zoebird! Yay!

MamaTessa - hopefully you'll avoid the yuckies this time around with your new diet!
My most common snacks are:
-handfuls of soaked sunflower/pumpkin seeds (or other kinds of nuts) - I bring these everywhere.
-dried fruit
-a couple of bites of raw cheese
-yogurt

Zoebird - hope you feel better soon. It's great that you've found a morning meal that works for you! And glad you can join us now!

Leilalu - WOW! What a shock! Are you more adjusted to the idea of a little boy yet? That'd be quite a shift, for sure! But exciting

Allysmom - are you feeling any better now that you've switched to flax? I developed an aversion to the taste of CLO toward the end of my first trimester - but for me, it didn't make me feel sick unless I actually tasted it, so once I started pinching my nose to swallow I could take it again. I would have stopped, though, if it made me feel sick. It sounds like your body's telling you something - that for whatever reason, CLO must not be what you need right now. I thought it was interesting that you also had the strong reaction to liver. Both strong vitamin A foods, right? Do you take any supplements that also have vitamin A in them? Anyway, I agree with PPs, take at least a week off, come back to it & see how you feel.

pampered_mom- coming up quick, right? You must be getting excited!!

Happy holidays, all!
#81 of 136 Old 12-26-2007, 06:20 PM

yah! So happy for you

That soup sounds yummy. Will have to try some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
well, now i can join.

we're officially moving forward with the "i'm pregnant" idea seeing as my period is two weeks late and everything is going great.

i don't know if i have a "bug" right now or if it's morning sickness, but i'm gassy, constipated, and i feel pukey in the morning if i don't have some rice with broth and an egg dropped in (which i cook while stirring and it's yummy).

so, we're getting used to making it the night before, and then my husband will reheat it so that i can eat first thing in the morning--btw, something i couldn't do before without throwing up.

i don't think it's morning sickness, but there it is.

i'm not taking CLO--can't bring mself to do it--but i am taking flax and hemp which should help. i started with raw milk as well, and of course i'm doing raw cheese and pastured eggs.

everything is going very well. diet is nice and high in fat and protien and overall, i feel good. getting lots of veggies too.

#82 of 136 Old 12-26-2007, 06:21 PM

Congrats!

So nice that you have people to help cook
I like fresh fruit when out, personally. Like clementines, and bananas and apples, and yogurt too. or when we go to playdates I bring leftovers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTessa View Post
I get to join the TF Pregnancy Club! I got a BFP last night I am due the beginning of September.

I am SO excited! This will be my first TF pregnancy, I am nervous about staying on track, but have a couple of teenagers that can cook, so that should help.

I also get super bad hyperemesis (nausea and vomiting constantly) but have found that hydrocortisone helps almost all women with hyperemesis. I am already taking HC now because of adrenal fatigue, so I am hopeful that this pregnancy will be different.

What do you all do for snacks to take when you are away from home? I am already wanting to eat constantly and know I will need good snacks or I will end up eating lots of the wrong stuff.

#83 of 136 Old 12-26-2007, 06:23 PM

I'm actually getting used to the idea. I really like the name we picked out(which just changed since about a week ago,lol) so that is good. I am also thinking that 5 year old girls have a lot of drama and maybe one girl is enough for me right now! She will be needing all the love she can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph117 View Post
Congrats MamaTessa! & Congrats, zoebird! Yay!

MamaTessa - hopefully you'll avoid the yuckies this time around with your new diet!
My most common snacks are:
-handfuls of soaked sunflower/pumpkin seeds (or other kinds of nuts) - I bring these everywhere.
-dried fruit
-a couple of bites of raw cheese
-yogurt

Zoebird - hope you feel better soon. It's great that you've found a morning meal that works for you! And glad you can join us now!

Leilalu - WOW! What a shock! Are you more adjusted to the idea of a little boy yet? That'd be quite a shift, for sure! But exciting

Allysmom - are you feeling any better now that you've switched to flax? I developed an aversion to the taste of CLO toward the end of my first trimester - but for me, it didn't make me feel sick unless I actually tasted it, so once I started pinching my nose to swallow I could take it again. I would have stopped, though, if it made me feel sick. It sounds like your body's telling you something - that for whatever reason, CLO must not be what you need right now. I thought it was interesting that you also had the strong reaction to liver. Both strong vitamin A foods, right? Do you take any supplements that also have vitamin A in them? Anyway, I agree with PPs, take at least a week off, come back to it & see how you feel.

pampered_mom- coming up quick, right? You must be getting excited!!

Happy holidays, all!

#84 of 136 Old 12-26-2007, 11:54 PM

Going to sub because DP and I are officially waiting to be ready to TTC in Feb, and I'm excited and wanting to eat especially well for the next month. I'd like to keep up with you mamas eating TF during pregnancy!

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#85 of 136 Old 12-27-2007, 02:58 AM

Can I join?? Dh and I have been talking about ttc for, oh, a long time now. But we are pretty serious about ttc maybe in Feb or March. Right now he is taking some liver/kidney cleansing/support stuff to help eliminate toxins because they installed all new carpet where he works and it wreaks! Wish we could just wait a few more yrs because that worries me, but we can't.

As for me, I'm trying to get my menstrual cycle straightened out - been having more bleeding than normal (tho not really excessively heavy still) plus clotting and cramping a lot the last few months. NOt sure why... any ideas?

Ok, so here's my "official" intro.
How long have you been interested in Traditional Foods and how did you first learn about it?
I first read NT almost a year ago and started then eating more fermented foods and more raw dairy. In the last few months, we've been eating mostly all TF. I picked up the NT book just because I'd heard a lot of good things about it - maybe here on MDC, not even sure where. Also, I have just decided to not be veg anymore. But I really don't care much at all for meat - never have - so this is kinda hard. I was excited to find I liked a bonebroth base soup tonite with tons of garlic in it so I couldn't taste the bits of chicken.

Which number child will this be for you, and what are the ages of your other children (if any)? We have a beautiful, sweet 29 mo old dd, so this would be #2.

What kind of birth are you having? I'll be going for a home VBAC (but at a friends house instead of ours because we live 1/2 hr from the hsptl and they live 5 min away. This way if that slim chance of uterine rupture happens we are still ok - so no worries and then I can be peaceful in birth. The hsptl actually is great - wondeful midwives. I tried to convince myself (and did for a while) that birthing there would be best, but I was always justifying it to myself and everyone and finally acknowledged that I'm jsut not comfortable with an unneccessary hsptl birth.

What are your other interests/hobbies? mothering , reading, gardening, ballet (I used to be a dancer), health, green living, hiking,
What part of the world do you live in? 2 and 1/2 acres in the Northeast

One crazy fun fact about yourself! I'm just reading the Little House on the Prairie books and watching the movies for the first time ever, and I like poop jokes Ok, that was two - maybe I should have left out the second one
#86 of 136 Old 12-27-2007, 12:17 PM

Oh I suppose I'd better do the official intro too!

How long have you been interested in Traditional Foods and how did you first learn about it?

I first got Nourishing Traditions when my second child was a baby and got seriously into it about a year ago. In May 07 we found a good dependable source of non-homogenized, grass-fed, low-temp pasteurized milk and butter. So we've been having the milk daily, along with CLO (the CLO for a year now). I cook liberally with butter/bacon grease/coconut oil. I also use a lot of broths and try and serve something fermented with our heaviest meal of the day. But I still think I have room for improvement. Now I am going to start eating the WAP pregnancy diet since we're waiting to be ready to TTC. I can get DP to take CLO when I chase him with it. And he eats everything I cook

Which number child will this be for you, and what are the ages of your other children (if any)?

This is will be baby #4 for me, #1 for him. I have three other children, ages 6,4, and 2. I've been meticulous about my diet with each of them - followed the Brewer diet. I find the WAP pregnancy diet to be just like the Brewer diet with a few extra things added so this pregnancy diet is pretty intuitive for me now!

What kind of birth are you having?

Had beautiful homebirths with the first three, the third a waterbirth. We're planning another homebirth and I'd love another waterbirth.

What are your other interests/hobbies?

I like to read, post on Mothering, and design and code websites Other than that everything is the kiddos!

What part of the world do you live in?

Right now I'm in SC, USA. We're moving to MI next month I'm excited.

One crazy fun fact about yourself! Hmm. I'm trying to think of something and I can't! I'll come back and edit when I do

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#87 of 136 Old 12-27-2007, 02:07 PM

I have to decide on menus for the birthteam, what I want to have for me to eat during labor, and what I am going to have on hand for just after delivery.

First off, I'm GFCF. I know I want some "comfort food" type of food for after delivery and probably during labor. I also have to have food handy for 4 other adults plus DD. (2 midwives, DH, and DD's "person.") I've started freezing foods for DD, since her diet is highly specialized.

Anyway, I am looking for some good ideas. I love KerryAnn's Honey Baked Lentils, so I'm sure I'll have to cook up some of that and freeze some. I've got some yummy chicken soup frozen too. That's about all I've got.

Y'all have any other ideas - especially for the birthteam? Their food will also be GFCF, just so I can eat the leftovers and I don't have cross-contamination in my kitchen.

Oh yeah - one more complication - I can barely move. Seriously, I can barely walk at all and am in a lot of pain unless I'm just plopped on the sofa. DH is a dream, and does all of the care-taking. But I'd like to make this as easy on him as I can.

Thanks!!
#88 of 136 Old 12-27-2007, 02:34 PM

I am due the 10th
First off, I think I may have to sign up for that menu trailer. Honey baked lentils sound awesome!

Second, i would keep a bunch of stock on hand. I am thinking tomato soup. I know I will have this on hand to heat up easy for the kids. We do noodles occasionally though, and we have alphabet noodles. I have a great recipe for tomato soup that my kids really like. I like it to. What an upgrade from the stuff my mom made!

I will keep an eye out for ideas... not sure what else to suggest seeing as how I am not GFCF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I have to decide on menus for the birthteam, what I want to have for me to eat during labor, and what I am going to have on hand for just after delivery.

First off, I'm GFCF. I know I want some "comfort food" type of food for after delivery and probably during labor. I also have to have food handy for 4 other adults plus DD. (2 midwives, DH, and DD's "person.") I've started freezing foods for DD, since her diet is highly specialized.

Anyway, I am looking for some good ideas. I love KerryAnn's Honey Baked Lentils, so I'm sure I'll have to cook up some of that and freeze some. I've got some yummy chicken soup frozen too. That's about all I've got.

Y'all have any other ideas - especially for the birthteam? Their food will also be GFCF, just so I can eat the leftovers and I don't have cross-contamination in my kitchen.

Oh yeah - one more complication - I can barely move. Seriously, I can barely walk at all and am in a lot of pain unless I'm just plopped on the sofa. DH is a dream, and does all of the care-taking. But I'd like to make this as easy on him as I can.

Thanks!!

#89 of 136 Old 12-27-2007, 03:11 PM

Congrats Mamatessa and Zoebird!

Pilgrim--I am trying to think of stuff too. Some stuff that can freeze that is GFCF comfort food is beef pot roast in broth, meatloaf, white bean chicken chili, other soups and stews.... I am hoping to freeze extra broth and chicken liver pate so I can just pull them out. I was also thinking I could freeze the NT tomato free spagetti sauce. I like the honey baked lentils too...good idea. Yikes!.....now I am feeling overwhelmed about filling the freezer...I got to get on top of that!

I am not sure what my midwives eat yet, so I will have to ask tomorrow. (I just met them at 31 weeks because my other midwife had to quit). I think they may be veg though because the nutrition info packet they gave me said something like "vegan pregnancy diet" and taked about getting protein from seeds and legumes...oh how I hope they do not ask me to do a food journal!

Jen

#90 of 136 Old 12-27-2007, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Pilgrim - Boy do I hear you on that one!! Took ds with me to my mw appt today and he was such a handfull! Somedays the best that I can do is lie down on the bed and let ds play with cars on the bed next to me. :

steph117 - Yes...but imo not soon enough. I know I should enjoy these last few weeks and believe me, I do, but Sundays events got my hopes up. I'm having a hard time with pregnancy edema in my arms/hands so it makes it VERY difficult for me to sleep. If I could just sleep on my back it'd be SO much nicer. I'm trying to mentally set myself up for another two to three weeks, though. Officially there are only 4-6 days left until my EDD (I've had three given to me early on in this pregnancy).

On Monday next week not only will I be "due" according to the earliest of my first due dates, but I'll officially be pregnant with this one longer than I was with ds. It's kind of nice not to have any crazy timelines imposed on me.

Speaking of which....is there anyone interested in starting next month's thread? I'd be glad to email you the text of the first post in this thread so that you can include that in yours.

Oh...and Attached Mama and Skrimpy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page