Forum Jump: 

#121 of 136 Old 12-30-2007, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
I vote for Pampered Mom to start the January thread
I would love to, but since I'm due tomorrow (wouldn't that be lovely!!!) I think it'd be better for someone else to do it b/c I can't promise I'll be able to update the first post all that often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph117 View Post
pampered_mom - good luck! Do keep us posted. And I volunteer to start the January thread!
Woot!! : Consider yourself so elected! If I can email you the code then I won't have to add all sorts of silly spaces so that you can just cut and paste into your new post (and save you some time). Can you pm me where you want it sent and I'll zip an email on over to you! :0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukiaustin View Post
do we have any updates on junegoddess or wagamama?
wagamama's still hanging in there. Sending her lots of labor vibes!
#122 of 136 Old 12-30-2007, 05:21 PM

: Good luck mama's!!!!!

( I am still not lurking in here)

Resistance is futile Matey
#123 of 136 Old 12-30-2007, 08:55 PM

Are any of you ladies planning on consuming your placenta? I've been reading up on it, and I can't decide if I should do it raw (either like little frozen liver chunks, or raw but dehydrated and put into capsules.)

From what I've read, TCM calls for a steaming process before dehydrating it.

Any thoughts?
#124 of 136 Old 12-30-2007, 11:43 PM

what is the reason for eating the placenta? Would it have many minerals/vitamins like say eating liver?
#125 of 136 Old 12-31-2007, 01:43 AM

The placenta is rich in B vitamins and goes good with fava beans. Sorry--that last part was my dh making a funny! It is believed to help stop postpartum bleeding and is protective against postpartum depression. I believe that there is also an important spiritual element to it, being as it is the baby's first companion, intrinsically part of me and of him/her.

I absolutely plan on eating mine. Raw, blended into a smoothie with tomato juice, immediately after giving birth. The remaining placenta will be dehydrated and ground, with some being encapsulated for medicinal use in me and the dc in the future, and some being scattered in a special place to help ground the new child. Dd's birth was a last minute hosptial transfer, so I didn't get to eat any of the placenta, but we did dry and grind it, and use it medicinally. It is invaluable to us, she asks for it on days when she's emotional and we're both in a rough space.
#126 of 136 Old 12-31-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
steph117 - take the break that you need right now and enjoy your applegate farms. when you feel up to it again, cook twice as much meat as you can and freeze it. my only concern with the applegate products would be a lack of fats in the meats. usually, it's pretty lean stuff. do you have access to raw butter? are you drinking raw milk? if so, you should be ok!
Thanks...I think you're right! Too bad our freezer's so packed with stuff already but it's a great idea. And no worries about fat - I eat LOTS of raw butter & raw dairy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally'smom View Post
I absolutely plan on eating mine. Raw, blended into a smoothie with tomato juice, immediately after giving birth. The remaining placenta will be dehydrated and ground, with some being encapsulated for medicinal use in me and the dc in the future, and some being scattered in a special place to help ground the new child.
What does that taste like, do you know? Do you know anyone who's done that? My worry would be gagging & having to get rid of it - I'd feel terrible if that happened! How do you dehydrate it - do you do it yourself? Or does the MW do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taedareth View Post
Has anyone thought about what traditional women used for back/belly support during late pregnancy? I'm thinking they used a sash, like these ones from Guatemala Guatemalan sashes
Are these anything like the fajas discussed in the beginning of the thread, or are fajas only for after pregnancy? If you try this, definitely let us know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilalu View Post
I would definitely consider liver pills instead of normal liver. Otherwise, you are just eating toxins.
Leilalu - what do you mean? You don't eat liver? Or you mean, non-farm-raised liver? (& CONGRATS on the dentist visit!)

Quote:
i need some new dinner ideas. will you post what you are eating tonight?
suzukiaustin - that lemon meringue pie sounds amazing. would you share the recipe???? i want to make it!!!
What did I have for dinner last night? it was not my most sterling night diet-wise, but it coulda been worse. I had two things:
a) 12 oz of raw milk with a combo of soaked granola & sprouted ezekiel cereal.
b) as a "side dish" (yes, you heard right - a side dish with my cereal!) i mixed up corn & soaked rice, raw butter, some grated raw cheese, curry powder & sea salt. (that tasted really good, actually)

Yesterday's BREAKFAST was much better though. scrambled farmer's market eggs with cream, broccoli, onion, bacon, sausage, & kelp. mmmmmmmm.

Uch, I made TF brown rice cooked with chicken stock last night, hoping I'd have it for meals over the next few days. But the smell of the stock was/is so odious to me I made my hubby pack the rice into the fridge when it was done cooking because I didn't want to be near it at all. He liked it though! I've been completely revolted by bone broth for a couple of weeks - too bad, huh?

Soon I'm off to a Japanese food lunch because I've been wanting flying fish roe ever since it was mentioned on this thread a while ago!

: HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone!!! It's going to be an exciting year
#127 of 136 Old 12-31-2007, 04:22 PM

What does that taste like, do you know? Do you know anyone who's done that? My worry would be gagging & having to get rid of it - I'd feel terrible if that happened! How do you dehydrate it - do you do it yourself? Or does the MW do it?

i can say that plain, it tastes like nothing i have ever eaten before. it is not like 'meat' or 'liver', as others had told me. it was not tough (mine was almost raw, just lightly warmed in a skillet in strips), it was almost as tender as eggs. i didnt eat the whole thing this way, just about a third of it. the rest i dried in slices in the over until completely dry and crumbled, then i swallowed a piece of this every day for a long time postpartum.

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#128 of 136 Old 12-31-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Leilalu - what do you mean? You don't eat liver? Or you mean, non-farm-raised liver? (& CONGRATS on the dentist visit!)

I just meant that I wouldn't eat liver bought at a normal grocery , where I wasn't sure of it's origin. I think I need to order some liver pills, actually, because the only liver I have been able to get lately(and not as much as I should be getting,though a fair amount) is from WF's...

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#129 of 136 Old 12-31-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Are these anything like the fajas discussed in the beginning of the thread, or are fajas only for after pregnancy? If you try this, definitely let us know how it goes!
Kind of, but I mean for use during pregnancy, not after. Has anyone tried this and can you tell us how they're supposed to be wrapped/tied? What length and width is best for back/belly support during pregnancy?

Quote:
...The width and length of a woman's sash corresponds to her age and marital status in some Mayan communities. Older women and married women wear longer and wider sashes, while girls and single women wear shorter and narrower sashes. In some villages, these wider sashes serve a very practical purpose: to give bodily support to women who are pregnant.
Mayan textiles

Quote:
Fajas range in length from eight feet to as long as seventeen feet. The average width is between six and eight inches; young women wear narrower belts, while older women prefer wider ones.
Fajas
#130 of 136 Old 12-31-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally'smom View Post
I absolutely plan on eating mine. Raw, blended into a smoothie with tomato juice, immediately after giving birth.
this is what i plan on doing. i had PPD bad and bled excessively (imo) after my son's birth and i want to try to prevent these from occurring again if i can.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#131 of 136 Old 12-31-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry that I don't know how it tastes, I didn't have a chance to do this with dd (it was a fight to get the placenta out of the hosptial at all, let alone eat it!). I do know several people who have done it and nobody has complained that it is at all gross. However, I can handle raw liver in tomato juice okay so I'm not too worried about it.

The last time, my MW dehydrated it for me. I believe you cut it into strips, spread it on baking dishes, and put it into the oven on low heat until it dries out, at which point it become very crumbly.
#132 of 136 Old 01-01-2008, 01:28 AM

I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to check back in on the CLO and liver aversion issue I raised a few threads back . . . thanks to all of you who checked in on me. I appreciate it. I've been taking flax oil instead and just avoiding liver for the past week or two and it's going okay. Usually I hate the taste of flax seed oil but it's not bothering me too much right now. After the new year, I'll pick up a fresh bottle of CLO and give it another shot. I'm not supplementing with any additional vitamin A, specifically because I take CLO and don't want any synthetics in my system, so I don't think that's causing the aversion. Hopefully it goes away soon!
#133 of 136 Old 01-02-2008, 02:16 AM

Steph117 - I have yet to figure out how to get the lemon filling to completely harden in my fridge, but it still tastes good kind of runny. I'm sure recipes with refined sugars, additives, etc. make it nice and gelled, but we don't need that stuff in our bodies!!

This is from The Grain-Free Gourmet by Jodi Bager and Jenny Lass. One of my favorite grain free/dairy free desserts! Let me know how yours turns out.

Crust
1 1/2 cups almond flour (I grind crispy almonds in my food processor. I have used raw almonds before.)
3 Tbsp butter cold and cut into pieces
2 Tbsp honey
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Heat the oven to 300F. Place all the crust ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until it starts to form a ball. If your crust dough is extra fine and you want the crust to resemble a flour-made crust, you can roll out the dough and put it in the fridge to cool, then roll it out into a pie crust, then bake. I just take the mixture directly from the food processor and press it into a pie pan. Much easier that way. Bake for 10 minutes, until light brown in color. Set aside to cool.

[U]Filling[U]
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into pieces

In a double boiler, or a glass bowl sitting above a pot of boiling water, whisk together the egg yolks, honey and lemon juice. Slowly add the butter, a couple of pieces at a time, whisking as you add it. Add more pieces as the previous ones melt. After all the ingredients are melted and well-blended, cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it thickens. Cool the lemon curd in the refrigerator.

If you would like the curd lighter/fluffier, you can add two beaten eggs whites with a dash of salt to the curd after it cools. I skip this because I like my curd nice and strong!

After the crust and curd have cooled, pour the curd into the pie crust.

Meringue
4 egg whites
pinch of salt
1/4 cup honey

Heat the oven to 400F. Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Add the honey (I usually add a tablespoon, not 1/4 cup of honey. I don't like it too sweet) and beat a little longer until shiny and stiff. Plop the meringue on top of the lemon filling. Bake for 3-5 minutes, until the meringue is light brown. Cool and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

This is really good and doesn't take too long to make. I try to use the best, raw, organic ingredients to attain the best flavor. Don't eat the entire pie in one day...you get sick!
#134 of 136 Old 01-02-2008, 02:23 AM

Just curious. I sleep like a rock through the night, so I don't eat a midnight snack. When I wake up in the morning, I feel like I'm going to faint when I stand and I'm dizzy and lethargic. Is this because I don't eat in the middle of the night or is it because I have some sort of deficiency? I mean, I feel really bad (yet good that I slept - ironic) when I wake up.

For the rest of this week, I'm going to have DH bring me a glass of almond milk and a piece of fruit before he leaves for work. I'm going to eat this and take my liver pills and then prepare breakfast. Maybe this will help me out in the mornings. What do you think?

How do you feel in the morning?

I think it's your due date, pampered mom! Best wishes for a safe and happy delivery. I hope it happens soon!
#135 of 136 Old 01-02-2008, 04:12 AM

okay....looks like I am in!
Just took a test the other morning so an early to mid September due date.
Couldn't wait for the January thread so here's my intro....

How long have you been interested in Traditional Foods and how did you first learn about it?
I read NT about three years ago and thought 'this is crazy talk'. Had a wonderful second pregnancy where I tried to get the most protein possible not focussing on fats. Last year after gut issues with my first son revisited NT and now we *try*. We are currently gfcf and soy free and I feel great. I make water kefir (usually ginger and apple) and have just made my first batch of saurkraut I am trying tomorrow). We are eating low grain, as much grass fed meat, free-range eggs and lots of bone broth as I can do right now. I need to revamp my shopping. Taking clo and hoping to start with liver pills soon. I would prefer not to do a prenatal vit this time round.

Which number child will this be for you, and what are the ages of your other children (if any)? This will be our third!!!! We have two sons, 4.5 and 2.

What kind of birth are you having? Homebirth

What are your other interests/hobbies? Reading and getting homeschooling rhythm down at this point.....
One crazy fun fact about yourself! currently hooked on Ngaoi Marsh mysteries....

Looking forward to learning from you ladies!
I am a little nervous about this pregnancy because there is a plan in the works for us to relocated from the states to Toronto Canada in July with the baby coming in September. I know we can work it all out but the timing is crazy! We wanted one more and for it to be a surprise so mission accomplished-we are suprised!!!
Okay also thinking I should get the Garden of Eating.
#136 of 136 Old 01-02-2008, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Steph started the Jan thread - head on over!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page