Whole milk yoghurt VS. Lowfat or fatfree - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-11-2007, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I buy yogurt for our family I always try to get a whole milk version because It is more of a whole food than fat free or low fat. Anyway, I was trying to explain this to a friend of mine and did a very bad job. Can someone give me a good argument for next time?

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#2 of 9 Old 12-11-2007, 12:21 PM

Fat is part of the milk. And the whole milk ones tend to be thicker and taste a lot better.
#3 of 9 Old 12-11-2007, 12:50 PM

Fat makes you feel more satisfied. Whole foods never stay out of style long.
#4 of 9 Old 12-11-2007, 01:13 PM

At 2.5 and 4.5 my kids don't need to limit their fat intake. : Quite the opposite in fact.

My only quibble with whole milk yogurt is that my local supermarket doesn't carry it so we have to drive 45 mins to Whole Foods. And that it's runnier -- therefore messier -- than lowfat.

-Vijay
#5 of 9 Old 12-11-2007, 02:17 PM

Fat provides a feeling of satiation that helps to curb hunger.
Low-fat or skim milk is more highly processed.
Low-fat or skim milk contain more sugars than whole milk.

Whole yogurt just tastes so much better.

Vijay - making your own yogurt would save you the drive, and you could make it even thicker than the lowfat. My last batch turned out with the consistency of whipped cream cheese (super thick). My question though would be what's in the low fat yogurt making it thicker, since whole milk yogurt is naturally thicker than low fat.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 9 Old 12-11-2007, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My kids can have one small portion of whole milk yogurt and be satisfied until the next meal- or they could eat a small portion of lowfat yogurt and still be hungry, or eat a huge amount of lowfat yogurt to fill up.

I'd rather they eat the small portion of whole yogurt than either fill up on junk later, or consume an entire tub of yogurt in one sitting. This is healthier AND more economical.

Also, while there isn't any calcium in milkfat, the fat helps the milk calcium be absorbed better. So overall the whole milk provides more nutrition than lowfat milk.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#7 of 9 Old 12-11-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayOwens View Post
My only quibble with whole milk yogurt is that my local supermarket doesn't carry it so we have to drive 45 mins to Whole Foods. And that it's runnier -- therefore messier -- than lowfat.
If lowfat isn't runny, it's had gelatin, cornstarch, or something else added to it to make it thick. Yogurt made just with culture is thicker the more fat is in it.

I buy a whole milk, unhomogenized yogurt, and the taste is just SO much nicer than any lowfat yogurt. It's so fresh and pleasant tasting, instead of just sour.

Yeah the whole "lowfat dairy is good for you" is just a crock of you-know-what cooked up by the dairy industry, because there's far more profit in skimming off the fat and then using it for more value-added products like ice cream and butter.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#8 of 9 Old 12-11-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
If lowfat isn't runny, it's had gelatin, cornstarch, or something else added to it to make it thick. Yogurt made just with culture is thicker the more fat is in it.

I buy a whole milk, unhomogenized yogurt, and the taste is just SO much nicer than any lowfat yogurt. It's so fresh and pleasant tasting, instead of just sour.

Yeah the whole "lowfat dairy is good for you" is just a crock of you-know-what cooked up by the dairy industry, because there's far more profit in skimming off the fat and then using it for more value-added products like ice cream and butter.
That's how I look at it, and that's why the lowfats are so much cheaper! There is a flavour or two that DS is in love with and cannot part with and I cannot seem to replicate. But he eats so much else I don't care
#9 of 9 Old 12-12-2007, 02:01 AM

Is it in the "Real Food" book that she talks about how lowfat dairy is either from cows that are producing low quality milks to begin with, or it's super-processed with heat and chemicals (basically making it similar to reconstituted milk)?

Totally from memory here, not sure.

But I am sure that it's the homogenization that makes milkfat a less-than-healthy substance. If the fat isn't homogenized, it's great for you, a good fat just like any mother's milk provides. And if I understand correctly, "cream on top" yogurts can only be made with non-homogenized milk, correct? So as long as the whole-fat yogurt she gets is the cream-on-top kind, she's dosing her body with healthy, good fat. Helping myelinization in her kids, etc...

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page