Traditional food GRAIN-FREE diets tribe! - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 286 Old 12-30-2007, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For me it was my son's problems-- I was trying for months and months to pin down what his health problems were in reaction to, eventually noticed he had an obvious reaction to wheat, and started learning about gluten intolerance, then realized that gluten intolerance could be what MY problems were from. Ultimately went from gluten-free to grain-free and am now feeling much better . . .

That's the shortish version.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#272 of 286 Old 12-30-2007, 07:26 PM

Holy monkeys! Guess what ladies? I just hit 1000 posts!

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#273 of 286 Old 12-30-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn View Post
Congratulations!!

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#274 of 286 Old 12-30-2007, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Congrats!!!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#275 of 286 Old 12-30-2007, 09:17 PM

Just want to wish everyone a safe and happy New Year's Eve (I know it is tomorrow, but who knows if I'll get to the computer).

My your New Year be filled with healthy grain-free goodness.

And Kallyn - congrats on the 1K posts.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#276 of 286 Old 12-30-2007, 10:05 PM
kpb

this thread is so inspiring!

I'm trying to weed out if I'm being paranoid or if there are really some issues I have to address with my husband and I (also, if we are having problems, does that mean that ds or future children will, too?)

I used to think that didn't I have any issues with grains, or any other food type....Despite my hoarding sweettooth, which until currently I blamed on my parents' sugar-restriction in early childhood , I hadn't made the connection with my awfully desperate and depressed menstrual cycle...Happy and UP--almost manic--for two weeks, and then episodically depressed for two weeks....I know it has a lot to do with my obsession with sweets, even if I counter it with healthy fats, meat raised by a local farm, our homegrown vegetables, eggs from practically our backyard, ethnically-balanced cuisine, etc etc....

I think my husband does, too...we're trying to narrow it down, whether its grains or dairy (albeit entirely raw) or possibly even both (he suffers from nasty post-nasal drip, snoring, asthma, constant phlegm.....it's awful, for both of us ) I don't even know where to start with him though, especially since he is a bartender for a living, a regular homebrewer, and fond of those types of 'sweets'......

I'll keep this at the forefront for motivation to detox and see what happens.........so much to learn!

cheers to all
Kyara
#277 of 286 Old 12-31-2007, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats, Kallyn! Happy New Year to you too, Shazer! Good luck with figuring out a healing diet that will work for your family, Kyara!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#278 of 286 Old 12-31-2007, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Sweet!

I'm giving myself a break on FitDay and will start again Jan 1st. I had a little fruit today, but other than that, I'm still doing well.

For dinner, we went out w/friends who are in town for Japanese at a local restaurant. I had:

- miso soup (normally dont eat soy, but I think fermented soy every now and then is OK for me.
-avocado sushi (no rice - wrapped in radish)
-grilled mackerel
-grilled salmon
-green tea
-chardonnay

Before we left, I took two large spoonfuls of CO. I worked out last night and this afternoon so I was pretty hungry!
#279 of 286 Old 12-31-2007, 11:47 AM

First of all, subbing, finally! I read through this whole thread and I am (have been) on board along with my DH and sometimes my kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
My journey to figuring this out has taken me almost 2 decades, starting with the total metabolism shift (and resulting weight gain) when I hit puberty. I've known I'm sugar "allergic" after being diagnosed through muscle testing after western medicine failed to do anything other than treat the symptoms (severe shortness of breath; basic asthma-like symptoms). After many years and doctors of varying kinds, it came down to simple trial and error. I did low carb for years, and felt way better than ever on it... but it was not sustainable for me because I was still eating grains, which led to binges, and my body would not stabilize on grains. Only by removing grains altogether have I been able to stabilize my hormones, but I have only discovered this in the last 8 months. Like I said before, there's still something that's messing with my hormones, and I'd be willing to bet it's dairy. But removing dairy from my life will be much harder for me than grains. So I'm taking it one step at a time.

How do you get around being allergic to sugar? I ask because I have had shortness of breath and asthma like symptoms since I was a child and it has always been (after several tests for my heart and asthma itself) considered to be from anxiety. I don't have panic attacks or anxiety that precedes the shortness of breath, but it in and of itself is kinda scary and can cause some anxiety I just wonder how you would cook to not include sugar, even honey? I already have to exclude dairy, eggs, soy, and gluten. I am just thinking that maybe this may be true for myself...

Jamie

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#280 of 286 Old 12-31-2007, 01:04 PM

I read this whole thread last night, and then my laptop battery died before I could reply.

I'm in. I was planning on going grain- and sugar-free in the new year anyway.

I don't want to go back and quote, but I was really intrigued by a few things that were mentioned so far. One is the mitral valve prolapse thing. My stepdaughter (14) has this. She also has Down syndrome, which puts her at a much greater risk of having celiac disease. She has lots of other symptoms (cravings, distended belly, snoring, congestion every morning, occasional hand tremors that doctors have no diagnosis for, etc.) and I really want her to get tested. I'm trying to find a doctor who knows what he's doing so when her mother takes her in this gets taken seriously. Anyway, I had no idea there could be a link between the heart condition and celiac. One more thing to add to the list!

My story is that I've had poor health almost my whole life, but nothing chronic enough to be debilitating -- just personally annoying. I got sick a lot as a kid, had acne into adulthood, always felt weak, had chest pains (that doctors said were stress) and back pain. I also only got my period maybe once as an adolescent and then nothing. I went on the pill at 21 and stayed on it for ten years, until my DH and I decided to have a baby. Nothing happened with my cycles (there were no cycles) so we went the infertility route. My son was conceived through IVF.

My reproductive endocrinologist said it was a "PCOS-variant" and had no interest whatsoever in figuring out WHY I didn't ovulate/menstruate, just in getting me pregnant. Of course, at the time I was in a hurry to have a baby, but now I'm rather angry about it. Especially since after switching to a TF diet (I'd been vegan/vegetarian prior to that) and supplementing with high-vitamin CLO for about six months I finally got a period on my own a year ago, then fifteen weeks later, then eight weeks later, and when I mentioned this to her in a follow-up visit (we tried using a frozen embryo last fall and it failed) as a victory on my body's part, she totally dismissed it. I'd read a study that showed that some women with PCOS who were deficient with vitamin D and supplemented with it started having normal cycles and some actually got pregnant, and I would have shared this with her so she could share it with her patients, but she just scoffed at me.

Oh, and BTW, I was put on Metformin, too, but it did nothing for me (though no noticeable side effects either).

I started researching gluten intolerance, Weston Price, CLO, etc. because of my son. He was diagnosed with gluten intolerance through EnteroLab last spring, and we have both been off gluten ever since. That led to me reading up on grains in general (Dangerous Grains was a good read) and now I'm convinced that grains are things to be avoided. Funny, a few years ago I thought grains were super important -- I ate a ton of them and would have defended Dr. McDougall and the like to the death.

My family has a history of health problems, too. My dad: gout, glaucoma, low blood pressure, light-headedness, snoring, hearing problems, rage issues, blood clots, post-nasal drip, stroke and now dementia. My mom: blood clots, allergy to sulpha drugs, phlebitis, hypo-thyroid, arthritis, chronic diarrhea, over-weight issues, and some "female" problems that I don't know the details of. I'm problem even forgetting some, and these are mostly all things they've dealt with for as long as I can remember, not just things that struck them in old age.

The interesting thing is that my mom was always a big fan of Adele Davis and she supplemented both of them (and us kids) with tons of vitamins. But I think now that the issues have to do with gluten and grains in general, and more than that to insulin resistance/blood sugar issues. My mom got tested through EnteroLab recently and found that she is also gluten intolerant. She doesn't think my dad could have that issue though since she's stuck on the GI aspect of it. I wonder if my dad's diet had been radically changed when he was first diagnosed with dementia if things would be different. He now has no idea who any of us are, so he's pretty far gone.

I'm here because I want to be totally healthy and hopefully get pregnant again. I'm starting acupuncture next week and seeing another doctor to check for yeast/metal issues (for me and my son). I always thought, growing up, that my parent's problems were things that "just happened" and a part of life. I don't want my son thinking that or living that!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#281 of 286 Old 12-31-2007, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
I'm here because I want to be totally healthy and hopefully get pregnant again. I'm starting acupuncture next week and seeing another doctor to check for yeast/metal issues (for me and my son). I always thought, growing up, that my parent's problems were things that "just happened" and a part of life. I don't want my son thinking that or living that!
Hi New Mama! I'm so excited to see you here!

I'm so sorry about the difficulty you've had with infertility.

I also am trying to get really healthy so that we can hopefully have another baby, someday. But I want to get healthy enough that I won't get PPD next time. I usually get SAD, too, so when I can get through a winter with no SAD, I think that would be a good indicator that I have achieved optimal health. We'll see!

#282 of 286 Old 12-31-2007, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
IThe interesting thing is that my mom was always a big fan of Adele Davis and she supplemented both of them (and us kids) with tons of vitamins.
Wasn't Adelle Davis a big fan of whole wheat bread? I can easily see how somebody gluten-intolerant couldn't acheive optimal health following her dietary guidelines.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#283 of 286 Old 12-31-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Wasn't Adelle Davis a big fan of whole wheat bread? I can easily see how somebody gluten-intolerant couldn't acheive optimal health following her dietary guidelines.
I'm not sure. I should borrow some of my mom's books. I know we always had whole wheat (tasteless!) bread growing up.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#284 of 286 Old 12-31-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie79 View Post
How do you get around being allergic to sugar? I ask because I have had shortness of breath and asthma like symptoms since I was a child and it has always been (after several tests for my heart and asthma itself) considered to be from anxiety. I don't have panic attacks or anxiety that precedes the shortness of breath, but it in and of itself is kinda scary and can cause some anxiety I just wonder how you would cook to not include sugar, even honey? I already have to exclude dairy, eggs, soy, and gluten. I am just thinking that maybe this may be true for myself...
Small amounts of honey don't bother me at this point, but I really don't use much sweetener at all in my cooking nowadays (I don't really have a problem with fruits, just refined sugars). When I was first diagnosed, I was going through NAET treatments, so I was treated for the sugar allergy, which removed the immediacy of the problem. But a few years ago (since I didn't change my diet when I learned that initially), the problem came back (in a more mild form), and I've had to learn what my limits are. At this point, if I over-indulge, I will start wheezing and coughing. Short of steroidal inhalers, there really isn't much I can do about it (and I don't use the inhalers anymore), so I do my best to avoid making myself sick. Occasionally something will slip in (this happened the other night when we went out) and I just have to deal with the reaction until it passes (might be an hour or so, depending on how much I ate). Digestive enzymes can help speed up the process of getting them out of my system, but I don't even carry them with me anymore.

Quote:
My reproductive endocrinologist said it was a "PCOS-variant" and had no interest whatsoever in figuring out WHY I didn't ovulate/menstruate, just in getting me pregnant. Of course, at the time I was in a hurry to have a baby, but now I'm rather angry about it. Especially since after switching to a TF diet (I'd been vegan/vegetarian prior to that) and supplementing with high-vitamin CLO for about six months I finally got a period on my own a year ago, then fifteen weeks later, then eight weeks later, and when I mentioned this to her in a follow-up visit (we tried using a frozen embryo last fall and it failed) as a victory on my body's part, she totally dismissed it. I'd read a study that showed that some women with PCOS who were deficient with vitamin D and supplemented with it started having normal cycles and some actually got pregnant, and I would have shared this with her so she could share it with her patients, but she just scoffed at me.

Sounds like a real jerk. Hopefully you won't need the services of an RE this time around, but if you do, I hope you choose a different one. My RE and her nurses were very interested in hearing what I had learned about grains and PCOS, they were all asking me how I was losing weight, since I wasn't on any drugs at the time.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#285 of 286 Old 01-01-2008, 12:52 AM

I've never heard of any of these diets, but I have been trying to follow a candida diet which is no-grain, no sugar & no fruit or starchy vegetables. It gets alot more specific but it's only supposed to be a temporary de-toxing diet. I'd be interested in hearing some recipe or meal plan ideas for no grains & no sugar.
Alison
#286 of 286 Old 01-01-2008, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome, Alison!

Okay everyone, new year, new month, new thread!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page