Traditional food GRAIN-FREE diets tribe! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 286 Old 12-14-2007, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazer View Post
But I've never had hunger before like breastfeeding hunger.
Yep. I've been breastfeeding for the past . . . um . . . three and a half years. I have a three-year old (weaned) and a one-year-old who still nurses all day long!

I still think it's yeast die-off. It will pass. Mostly. I still get wicked cravings for bread products though. And pasta. Mmmm . . . okay, sorry, I'm sure that was in no way helpful.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 286 Old 12-15-2007, 02:15 AM

Yeah, I've been eating fats all day. I can't eat a pat of butter though like some of these ladies....gag. I'll be fine though, I'm sure its all for the best. I don't have a hard time with structured, all or none diets like this for some reason. I know exactly what is allowed and the other stuff is just dead to me, no pasta cravings even. Wierd.
#63 of 286 Old 12-15-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Thanks for the warning, I just disagree. The SCD isn't perfect, and I don't think Elaine Gottschall actually ever tested kombucha or did any scientific studies on it (to determine exactly how the gut would react to it.) The kombucha may not be technically "SCD legal" but it helps me enormously. Today I didn't have my normal kombucha and I had less energy and after lunch I had a stomachache and then heartburn (still have it-- since lunch! and almost zero energy. The kombucha helps me with my digestion, helps me with detoxing, and helps me tremendously with energy. And with my mood, actually, too.

I'm not just addicted to it, either. When I first started with it, I craved 4-5 bottles of GT's a day! Kept that up for about a month, to my poor DH's dismay. (It's expensive!) But the level of health I felt was incredible, I mean, I hadn't been that healthy in many months. Then I gradually needed less and less, which to me, proves that it was fulfilling a health need, not an addiction. Now I normally only need/crave one bottle a day, except if I eat something that was a little bit too much for me and need a digestive boost. Then maybe two.

But anyway, I love the kombucha. The kombucha stays! And no one better touch my kombucha!

Man I missed my kombucha today. :
sorry i didn't mean to offend you!! i only posted what i was told in case you or anyone else was following scd very strictly and didn't know it isn't 'legal'. i was checking it out for myself because i was hoping to make it. if it works for you then great, you've gotta do what works for you.

i won't be making it for myself because if there is a slight risk of any sugar being retained then it would be a big problem for me.

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
#64 of 286 Old 12-15-2007, 11:38 AM

If you can't just eat the butter you can hide it. I put about a quater cup of butter with 2 eggs into a blender with raw honey, blueberries and frozen peaches. It tastes like a blueberry pie filling and is totally satisfying.
#65 of 286 Old 12-16-2007, 11:05 AM

a few questions from a preggo/confused/scared/lost/newbie:

can i gain weight on a grain free diet?

is it wise to keep a small amount of potatoes in my diet to gradually transition into this way of eating? what is the easiest starch to digest?

if i go grain free, will i eventually be able to add dairy back?

does anyone have a TF friendly almond milk recipe (no whey, please)?

what is your favorite smoothie to drink? i need one with a lot of calories - pregnant and i need to gain some weight.

thank you a million times over.
#66 of 286 Old 12-16-2007, 11:21 AM

Hi Suzu.

You can gain weight and be grain free. Just be sure to get enough calories from healthy foods to supply the energy requirements of you and your baby - lots of fats, proteins, and fruits and veggies, nuts if you can handle them. Potatoes work for some people, others might recommend sweet potatoes as being easily digestable. I had some people following a paleo diet recommend I eat sweet potatoes when pregnant and lots of squash for the bioflavonoids and vitamins.

Did you cut out dairy because of digestive issues? If so, are you trying to heal your gut? It varies individual by individual. I can handle dairy, my nursling cannot and I had to cut it out after she was born.

Sharon

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#67 of 286 Old 12-16-2007, 04:46 PM

can i gain weight on a grain free diet?

Sure. Especially if you're underweight.

is it wise to keep a small amount of potatoes in my diet to gradually transition into this way of eating? what is the easiest starch to digest?
I still eat potatoes. My body doesn't object to them like it does to grain. So I have potatoes once or twice a week. For me, the easiest starches to digest are from vegetables including legumes. Potato, sweet potato (very good for pregnancy), winter squash, peas, beans, I can even handle whole corn (but I can't handle processed corn).

if i go grain free, will i eventually be able to add dairy back?
That really depends on why you removed dairy. We eat a lot of dairy, milk, cream, yogurt, ice cream, butter, cheese.

does anyone have a TF friendly almond milk recipe (no whey, please)?
Pureeing raw almonds with boiling water would do it. The proportions are generally a matter of personal taste. Once it cools, strain out the solids.

what is your favorite smoothie to drink? i need one with a lot of calories - pregnant and i need to gain some weight.

I don't personally drink smoothies, because I hate washing the blender. But for one with a lot of calories and no dairy, take any frozen fruit, add a can of coconut milk (if you can handle it, if not, use almond milk and a generous portion of coconut oil). You can add any fresh fruit you have on hand, tofu if you eat it, protein powder if you eat it, a couple eggs if you're comfortable eating them raw, honey to sweeten to taste. If you ate dairy, I'd add yogurt to that list.

You really need to concentrate on your protein intake, protein is very crucial during pregnancy. Eat any source of protein you can handle, as often as you can handle it... eggs, meat, seafood, legumes, nuts. Be generous with the healthy oils/fats (coconut, olive, lard, ghee if you can handle it, etc.). Sautee your veggies in them, toss your salads with them, add them to soups. Don't buy lean meat (chicken breast, 90/10 ground beef, etc.). Salt your food to taste (salt is also important during pregnancy). Make those changes, and you should see an improvement (barring a medical condition).

HTH

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#68 of 286 Old 12-16-2007, 08:36 PM

I am being tempted.

My next door neighbor, who is the biggest sweetheart on the planet, just brought over a heaping plate of homemade Christmas cookies for us. DH isn't much into sweets, so he'll have a few and then the plate will just sit there and sit with me eyeing it until I throw it in the trash. This is really hard because since cutting out so much from my diet to help my nursling and her digestive issues, I've lost five pounds. I shouldn't lose any more because I'm uncomfortable weighing any less. And I swear I'm eating all the time. I just ate an apple covered in mayo because I can't even think about eating more butter today. I've had seven eggs today, probably 1 cup of butter/lard/other fats, ground goat and veggies, several pieces of fruit. I have a squash in my oven right now and will eat more goat and liverwurst tonight. This is what I've been eating for days and the weight is just falling off of me. DD has been without many digestive issues for about five days now, which isn't enough time, in my opinion, to burden her system with other foods like nuts. Anyway, I'm ranting and I don't mean to. I'm just ravenous and want to stop losing weight.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#69 of 286 Old 12-16-2007, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Do either of you have a job outside the home where you can share the cookies with co-workers and get them out of the house?

I suspect that the extra weight will stop dropping off of you at a certain point.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#70 of 286 Old 12-17-2007, 01:32 PM

DH ended up taking the cookies to work, but he has to hide them in his office because one of his employees is the best friend of my next door neighbor. We didn't want to just put the cookies in the break room where it could have gotten back to our next door neighbor.

#71 of 286 Old 12-17-2007, 02:59 PM

I know it is kind of mean but my dh will just eats one and throws away the rest baked holiday treats he gets (and he does not even have a weight/gluten issue). He really feels that when he starts eating that stuff he gets more colds.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#72 of 286 Old 12-17-2007, 03:41 PM

I wish I had the gumption to just throw stuff out. Part of me just can't stand to see perfectly good "food" going into the trash can. In the case of grain products, I use the word food loosely, but still. ;P

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#73 of 286 Old 12-17-2007, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
sorry i didn't mean to offend you!! i only posted what i was told in case you or anyone else was following scd very strictly and didn't know it isn't 'legal'. i was checking it out for myself because i was hoping to make it. if it works for you then great, you've gotta do what works for you.

i won't be making it for myself because if there is a slight risk of any sugar being retained then it would be a big problem for me.
Oh I wasn't offended! I was trying to be funny. I just love my kombucha. Actually, the SCD wasn't really helping me that much until I started taking the kombucha. I mean, I know that leaving the grains and starches out is necessary for me to heal right now, and it did help some, but without the kombucha I STILL can't digest even the simplest, easiest foods! : So anyway . . . that's all.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#74 of 286 Old 12-17-2007, 05:34 PM

Swedish bitters really help when I have problems digesting stuff! Just throwing that out there in case someone needs a little extra nudge but can't/won't do kombucha.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#75 of 286 Old 12-17-2007, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn View Post
Swedish bitters really help when I have problems digesting stuff!
That's a good idea!

#76 of 286 Old 12-17-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I wish I had the gumption to just throw stuff out. Part of me just can't stand to see perfectly good "food" going into the trash can. In the case of grain products, I use the word food loosely, but still. ;P
I have a full plastic barrel (that once held 5 lbs of pretzels) in the bottom half of my pantry, out of sight and out of the way, filled with uncooked beans and grains (small noodles, barley, etc) that I can't eat right now but can't bring myself to throw away. Maybe I'll be able to eat them again in a few months, or maybe I'll find somebody to give them to.

Obviously, this doesn't work with already baked cookies or breads or anything like that. But it gets all these foods that I can't eat right now out of my way and leaves room for stuff I CAN eat, such as sea veggies, canned fish, and the 3 grains I eat in moderation and feed to my kids: popping corn, brown rice, and quinoa. I'll probably not replace the quinoa when I finish what's already in the house.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#77 of 286 Old 12-17-2007, 06:17 PM

I think I belong here. Dh and ds are totally and completely grain-free (including no sugar cane products). I mostly follow the same diet, but very occasionally eat some rice pasta or some Mary's Gone Crackers crackers (about once every 2 wks. or so, as a little snack).

Ds has celiac and type 1 diabetes, and we've found that he really does better with no grains. We tried buckwheat for awhile (since it's not technically a grain), and he did better with it than other grains, but he does even better without it altogether. No dairy, either. Dh has definite gluten issues (but no celiac gene). He also does best without grains or dairy (although he did fine with the buckwheat, we just mostly eat the same diet as ds, since it's easier and nicer to him). I'm very strict with myself on the dairy and gluten, even though I don't seem to react to dairy at all, and no overt symptoms to gluten (I think it definitely affects me, though), because we don't want our youngest to eat either of them, even through my milk. They're now finding that both gluten and dairy are causes of type 1 diabetes in susceptible individuals. We really don't want that for our baby. We also know that, despite what most people think, eating gf and cf is a perfectly healthy way of eating. And it can be perfectly satisfying, too!

We followed SCD for about a year, and still use a lot of the recipes, but we have potatoes sometimes, and also sweet potatoes.

I don't know if we'll ever eat grains. We haven't decided yet (besides, we don't know if ds will ever be able to eat them anyway). If we ever do, it will be in small quantities.

Dh and ds eat no legumes, either. I find that eating some beans helps me to feel better (not sure why -- I hadn't eaten them in quite awhile, and then started craving them with my latest pregnancy). I don't know if they will ever eat them, but I have some refried beans with my breakfast most mornings. Of course, I don't add them to anything else.

Ds has many food sensitivities, and we have to rotate his fruits and certain veggies.

For baked goods, we use coconut flour mostly. And for those of you who haven't tried it, the baked goods don't fall apart. They hold together well, thanks to all the eggs. They're very nice and satisfying. And coconut flour makes something that we're happy to share with others, and they often don't even realize it's something "different". We also sometimes do the SCD nut butter recipes. We never did do the almond flour recipes. Ds can't eat almonds. We would make them using nut butter instead, and then you can use any nut you can grind up in the food processor. We love pecan pancakes, though! Haven't tried the banana or squash. Sounds wonderful. Is there a recipe, or do I just wing it?

For holiday goodies, I just make sure to have plenty of "safe" goodies on hand, and I do a different type of holiday baking. For us, I use coconut flour. I also make "coconut balls" for us to munch on. I use coconut cream concentrate, coconut oil, shredded coconut, and a little honey and vanilla. Process all, and then roll into balls and roll the balls in toasted shredded coconut. They're like little truffles. So yummy! For gift-giving, I make candies (still not something we eat, but it doesn't contaminate my kitchen with gluten, either). For ds's advent calendar (we have one we fill ourselves) I use macadamia nuts, and non-food treats, too. Same with his stocking.

For desserts for the holidays, some things we like are fruit crisp, made with coconut flour (from Bruce Fife's book) -- we make pear, apple, apple-cranberry, so far; pumpkin pie, either crustless or with coconut flour crust; pecan pie, with coconut flour crust (although I'm thinking a pecan crust would be really good, too); we plan to make a coconut flour gingerbread (with the spices from a Fine Cooking recipe - we tried it once and it was soooo yummy) and serve it with a creme anglaise (also from the Fine Cooking recipe - haven't tried this yet) made with coconut milk.

We also make ice cream with coconut milk. That makes a nice treat.

I've been making chai lately, and that's a nice hot cocoa-type treat (no chocolate here). I use the Celestial Seasonings herbal "black" tea, spices, a little honey, and coconut milk.

As for the "jello" you've been talking about, we use fruit teas, with a little honey and some stevia. They're very nice.

Well, I'm afraid this has been pretty disjointed, but I'm going to have to leave it as is, since my littlest needs me. It sure is nice to know there are so many others eating this way! There sure aren't any I know IRL (we are soooo far out there to most folks we know!).

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#78 of 286 Old 12-17-2007, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Christie! I loved reading about what you guys eat.

#79 of 286 Old 12-17-2007, 06:26 PM

Christie!

#80 of 286 Old 12-17-2007, 06:44 PM

Thanks! I so often feel like I'm replying to a black hole (and yet I keep doing it ).

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#81 of 286 Old 12-17-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Swedish bitters really help when I have problems digesting stuff! Just throwing that out there in case someone needs a little extra nudge but can't/won't do kombucha.
thanks kallyn, what are swedish bitters and where can i get them?

liontigerbear - i'm glad i didn't offend you!! sounds like the kombucha really works well for you.

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
#82 of 286 Old 12-17-2007, 07:20 PM

You say that like it's a bad thing. :

Today I put carrots, onions, celery, garlic, chicken thighs, and water in the crock pot, then sprinkled pepper and dill on top, added some salt, and cooked on high for a while, switched it to low when we went out, put it back on high when we got home, and made some brown rice (with olive oil and salt) in a separate pot.

I had about a tablespoon of rice in each bowl of chicken soup; DD2 ate basically the broth, rice, and carrots, and DS just wanted plain rice. I wonder if DD1 will eat any of it when she comes home. There's certainly enough left for her, but she's been eating a vegetarian diet 6 days a week and eating poultry on Shabbos and Jewish holidays. I'm hoping she'll see how rediculous she's being and eat poultry any day of the week, but until then she's welcome to prepare different food for herself as long as she cleans up after herself and doesn't contaminate me with gluten in the process.

#83 of 286 Old 12-17-2007, 07:27 PM

Subbing. I am 100% sugar and refined carb free. The most grains I eat in a day are maybe 1 slice of Ezekial bread or some whole grain soaked oatmeal. I tried totally grain free and found I need a *little* (esp. oatmeal) but I'm virtually grain free, and certainly by the standards of anyone in my family and IRL, I am. Looking forward to reading the thread - GREAT idea!

ETA a quick background - I started eating this way almost exactly 1 year ago. I weighed 220 lbs. and was starting to have symptoms of PCOS (okay, beyond "starting") and I was sick of being fat and unhealthy (they go hand in hand for ME, but realize not everyone ). I now weigh 148 and almost all of the PCOS symptoms are gone, my periods returned and are like clockwork for the first time in my life, etc. I feel fantastic.

When I tell people I will probably never eat sugar or refined grains (or really much of any grain) ever again, they look at me like I'm NUTS!

Anyway, looking forward to sharing with everyone! (Off to read the thread)
#84 of 286 Old 12-17-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
When I tell people I will probably never eat sugar or refined grains (or really much of any grain) ever again, they look at me like I'm NUTS!
mmm. nuts.

#85 of 286 Old 12-17-2007, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
mmm. nuts.

Welcome, Periwinkle!

Gosh, oatmeal sounds really yummy right now . . . *sigh*

I'm thinking in maybe eight months to a year I might try a little well-soaked oatmeal and see how I tolerate it. I'll go by my symptoms and how healthy I feel because I need my body to heal first.

#86 of 286 Old 12-17-2007, 08:24 PM

Wow, Periwinkle, that's great how well you're doing! Welcome.

#87 of 286 Old 12-17-2007, 08:55 PM

Periwinkle - I'm glad its working for you! I have PCOS too and still trying to find the right balance of food to manage my symptoms (cycles specifically)
#88 of 286 Old 12-17-2007, 09:12 PM

Christie-

You've inspired me to try coconut flour again. I got a bag once and what I used it for didn't turn out so well. Funny thing is that I can't remember what recipe. Anyway, the treats you describe sound yummy and once I add coconut products back into my diet, I'll give them a whirl.

Sharon

#89 of 286 Old 12-18-2007, 01:41 AM

wow, you guys!!

thank you for the replies and the encouragement! even those who didn't respond directly to me, but just posted to this thread, i am really inspired by your stories.

i have been trying to track down a copy of The Garden of Eating here in australia (living here for the next year and a half) and i haven't been successful. so, i decided to call the author to see if i could have one shipped to me. it is going to cost me $41.00 freaking dollars just for shipping, but i don't care. i need the recipes, the information and the guidance from the book right now. my 2 year old and my preggo body need all the help we can get! but here's the good news...i actually spoke with the author for a while and she said that she does phone consultations. i haven't been successful at finding a TF/grain-free nutritionist here in australia, so after i read her book, i'm going to set up an appointment!! yeah! i've been feeling like i'm developing an eating disorder because i'm afraid of so many foods, so i'm not gaining weight like i should be. i'm going to keep the potatoes (esp the sweet potatoes) in my diet for now and make sure i have some nutrient dense snacks around.

so, thanks again for the encouragement. today is a better day, especially with this lemon pie with almond crust sitting in front of me. thank you The Grain Free Gourmet!!

shazer - i cut out dairy because it makes me really achy and constipated. once i get my diet under control, i may try some raw milk products in the future. i do make raw milk butter here at home and i cook with it. i don't seem to have a problem with it. i cut out dairy while nursing ds. his eczema cleared when i removed dairy and wheat from my diet. i know where you are with losing weight while nursing. i hope you are able to eat nuts soon...that may help with calories.

cristeen - thank you for the wonderful advice. i am eating as much protein as i can and will continue to do so throught this pregnancy. i will try the coconut milk smoothie, too, but too much coconut makes me nauseous. maybe i'll rotate with the almond milk. do you eat raw dairy? i hope i can eat
dairy again, in time.

christieB - PLEASE post your chai recipe! it sounds so good! also, do you use any recipe books for baking with coconut flour? i have never used coconut flour before and i'm interested.

LionTigerBear - i, too love kombucha and feel so much better when i consume it. it really helps my energy and my digestion. i call it kombucha crack because sometimes i think i AM addicted to it! i only drink 1/2 cup a day, though. i think i'll have my 1/2 a cup now!

have a nice day, everyone.
#90 of 286 Old 12-18-2007, 02:08 AM
QDB

Just joining int - I need some support and am happy to find this thread! I started SCD back in June and finally feel in control of my health. I am just introducing nuts and beans successfully and the variety is a relief!

I am the only one eating this way so it can be challenging cooking food for others with normal digestion though I do wonder sometimes about my ds.

It is nice to be among friends!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page