Traditional food GRAIN-FREE diets tribe! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 286 Old 12-19-2007, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm subbing.....

What a great thread. I've been trying to eliminate grains from our diet, particularly my diet, to help with my pcos. With all the books I've read, I'd love to completely eliminate them from the house, but I'm not sure how to do that without a mutiny. Dh is a distance runner and refuses to give up his pasta, and ds is an extremely picky eater who, if he didn't eat homemade bread and pasta, would not be eating much at all.

I made a winter grains soup for a potluck the other day, and have been eating a bowl each day since to use up what's left. It has brown rice, wheat berries, lentils, and brown rice, in addition to other starchy vegetables. And I am SO bloated and gassy and uncomfortable. It makes me so sad, since this soup is my one of my favorite winter dishes. I haven't been as careful with our diet as I need to be, since Thanksgiving. And it's taking it's toll....I had an ultrasound yesterday to check for follicle growth in order to do an IUI, and found that my ovaries are once again covered in cysts. I'm hoping to gain the inspiration I need from this thread to finally kick me away from the foods that are doing this to my body.
#122 of 286 Old 12-19-2007, 11:20 AM

Would your DH be open to reading anything? Here is a great article about endurance athlethics using a low-carb ketogenic diet and how it does not negatively affect performance.

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2

Of course, no grains doesn't have to equal low-carb, but at the very least this paper shows that he doesn't *need* pasta in order to be a runner. If he still wants starchy stuff, maybe you can talk him into potatoes or something. It really is MUCH easier on you when you can just get the stuff out of the house.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#123 of 286 Old 12-19-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn View Post
Would your DH be open to reading anything? Here is a great article about endurance athlethics using a low-carb ketogenic diet and how it does not negatively affect performance.

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2
Thanks for the article! Dh is very interested in reading anything that pertains to distance running, but unfortunately most of what he finds is incredibly mainstream and not only recommend lots of grains, but also recommend lots processed packaged crap. I'm not a runner, so while he listens to what I say about nutrition, he isn't completely convinced that it'll work for his needs. Especially when everything he's read says the opposite!
#124 of 286 Old 12-19-2007, 12:19 PM

I am subbing too.

We went GF a few months ago due to suspected intolerance. I had relied on Quinoa and Rice mostly. But I seem to get stomach upset from eating too much rice....even when soaked.

I am really looking at going totally grain free. I love the quinoa......since it is not technically a grain but still eats like one.....do you all eat it?
#125 of 286 Old 12-19-2007, 01:39 PM

My SO has a hard time giving up grains too. He does not eat processed grains (pasta and bread) but he loves his brown rice and quinoa. : Its not really an issue for me because he can cook it himself or if I make it, I’m not as tempted anymore.

I'm not a distance runner but I do intense workouts daily and feel the need less and less for grains. I do have more cravings for sweets (probably need fruit) though.

The other issue between me and my SO is that he won’t eat poultry or beef so I’m at a loss as to what to make him w/o having to cook two meals. He does eat fish though but its not something I want everyday.
#126 of 286 Old 12-19-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenok18 View Post
I'm subbing.....

Dh is a distance runner and refuses to give up his pasta, and ds is an extremely picky eater who, if he didn't eat homemade bread and pasta, would not be eating much at all.
I'm not grain-free but I'm a long distance runner. Right now, I do low carbs but eat my carbs (brown rice porridge + coconut milk + egg) an hour before I go for a long run. Or the night before for a long run. That has worked well for me.

Balance works for me. My body gets all bloated and impossible to lose weight (even running 40+ miles a week and eating a "healthy" diet) when I eat a moderate amount of grains. I've tried no grains for 9 months, I was vegetarian for 10+ years, I tried raw,... I was always going from one extreme to the other (so dh says).
Back to the running, I agree that long distance runners need carbs but not necessarily pasta or bread (I've been without both for years). He can definitely eat potatoes, sweet potatoes,... if he wants to.
#127 of 286 Old 12-19-2007, 07:18 PM

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to people's questions! Busy day yesterday.

I can't believe how fast this thread is going! The information I'm giving almost seems OT.

For my coconut flour baked goods, I too use Bruce Fife's cookbook "Cooking With Coconut Flour". I don't use nearly the amount of sweetener that he calls for. I also don't use sugar. I use honey, no matter what he calls for in the recipe. And I use 1/4-1/3 cup honey per 24 muffins. I add a little stevia to boost the sweetness. I haven't had trouble making these substitutions. And the end product is much healthier.

As was mentioned, there are some of his recipes online. Here are some links. Some are repeats, but others are unique to that page.

the most recipes are here
Here's another
and another

It's nice that he has shared so many of his recipes so that folks can decide whether this kind of baking works for them.

And just as an FYI, I've tried two brands of coconut flour, TT and WFN. I found the WFN to be a bit course, and didn't feel the things I baked were as good as they could be. Their carb count seemed off, too (ds seemed to need to more insulin than their carb count would suggest -- and it was different than TT's carb count). TT, OTOH, has nice fine flour, and the carb count seems right on the mark. I've really like how the baked goods come out with that flour. I've heard others say how much they like the WFN flour, though, so I may be a bit picky. I've never tried the Bob's Red Mill coconut flour, so I can't say what it's like. I'm using up the WFN flour by using it for my fried chicken, which works fine with that flour.

I really like baking with coconut flour. I like the results. And we find it very easy on our systems. But, if you don't do well with coconut, or with a lot of fiber, it may not be right for you. It just depends on the person, as with most other things.

As for the chai, I kind of follow a recipe (for the spices, anyway) from Fine Cooking. For 3 1/2 cups tea (however strongly you want to brew it -- they use 1 Tbs. loose black tea for 3 1/2 cups water -- I use the Celestial Seasonings herbal black tea), they use:

1 small cinnamon stick
6 green cardamom pods
5 cloves
1/4 tsp. black pepper corns

They add 3/4 cup whole milk. I warm the coconut milk and add it to taste to each cup, which I think ends up being more than the milk they call for. They also call for 2 Tbs. or more of sugar for the whole thing. I use honey to taste in the (partially cooled) tea. They brew the spices in with the tea and strain before adding the milk and sugar.

This is a mild chai, and could probably use more spices if you like them. I like that it's mild for ds, whose tastes are adventurous, but not adult.

Hope you enjoy!

It seems there were other things I was thinking I would respond to, but don't remember what. Oh well, it's off to the kitchen now.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#128 of 286 Old 12-19-2007, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I made a winter grains soup for a potluck the other day, and have been eating a bowl each day since to use up what's left. It has brown rice, wheat berries, lentils, and brown rice, in addition to other starchy vegetables. And I am SO bloated and gassy and uncomfortable. It makes me so sad, since this soup is my one of my favorite winter dishes. I haven't been as careful with our diet as I need to be, since Thanksgiving. And it's taking it's toll....I had an ultrasound yesterday to check for follicle growth in order to do an IUI, and found that my ovaries are once again covered in cysts. I'm hoping to gain the inspiration I need from this thread to finally kick me away from the foods that are doing this to my body.
Maybe you can make a similar soup without the grains- do you need to avoid all grains and grain-like foods, or just gluten? You may do OK with the lentils and rice and starchy veggies, even if you can't handle the wheat berries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstump View Post
I am subbing too.

We went GF a few months ago due to suspected intolerance. I had relied on Quinoa and Rice mostly. But I seem to get stomach upset from eating too much rice....even when soaked.

I am really looking at going totally grain free. I love the quinoa......since it is not technically a grain but still eats like one.....do you all eat it?
Only in tiny amounts. I'm eating low-carb, and quinoa seems to make me crave more quinoa and more carbs in general. Plus DS doesn't like it as much as rice so more gets left in the pot and I end up eating it. I do enjoy small amounts (like a tablespoon mixed in a bowl of meat and veggies.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#129 of 286 Old 12-19-2007, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

:

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#130 of 286 Old 12-19-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I'm subbing.....

I've been trying to eliminate grains from our diet, particularly my diet, to help with my pcos. With all the books I've read, I'd love to completely eliminate them from the house, but I'm not sure how to do that without a mutiny. Dh is a distance runner . . .
Hey Kristen,

Do you find that low-carb works best to manage your PCOS symptoms? Are you just eliminating grains or are you doing more? You wrote that "once again" your ovaries are covered in cysts? What did you do to not make them covered before? I'll write it again: PCOS SUCKS.

Per your husband . . . my DH loves his frozen pizzas and macarroni and cheese and diet Coke and craft beers. So he isn't aspiring to be healthy like your DH, but we have the same problem with carbs. Honestly, I've tried everything I can think of to get him to eat well. But he seems to have a gout flare-up within a week of eating well, and that is enough to make him decide to eat lousily again. I put his stuff on one shelf of the pantry and freezer and let my stuff take up the rest of the space.

I'm away from home, so I don't have my sources. But I seem to recall in Neanderthin or Life Without Bread information about athletes thriving on a high protein and fat and lower-carb diet and doing better than their carb-loading counterparts. Heck, it could have been in one of the Atkins books, too. I'll try to remember to find the source when I get home Sunday.

So welcome and good luck.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#131 of 286 Old 12-19-2007, 11:43 PM

Hmm. If he's having gout attacks when he eats "healthy" food, then obviously the diet isn't a healthy one for him! It must have too much of something he's intolerant to or too little of a nutrient he needs. Maybe he needs a lower protein/higher carb diet than you do?

He can't possibly need the synthetic preservatives, but he might need the extra salt or complex carbs- perhaps he'd do better with more starchy veggies (and maybe some properly prepared grains) if you want him to stop eating the "junk."

#132 of 286 Old 12-20-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazer View Post
Honestly, I've tried everything I can think of to get him to eat well. But he seems to have a gout flare-up within a week of eating well, and that is enough to make him decide to eat lousily again.
What does his "healthy" diet look like?

The traditional wisdom says that gout is caused by too much protein, but more recent research is actually showing it to be a problem associated with insulin resistance (like so many other things are!). Anyway, it's a build-up of uric acid crystals. The problem in gout isn't that you produce too many crystals (which is the hypothesis that leads to protein restriction as the "cure"), it's that you lose the ability to effectively excrete the crystals and therefore they build up.

The Drs. Eades devote a whole section to gout in their low-carb book Protein Power Lifeplan. The library usually has it. You should try to find it - it might be very helpful for your DH! (that book is just a good book to read anyway, and their most restrictive diet plan is grain-free and basically paleo)

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#133 of 286 Old 12-20-2007, 01:36 AM

Would you eat buckwheat noodles on a grain-free diet? Are they considered a grain?

Iris
#134 of 286 Old 12-20-2007, 01:39 AM
QDB

I just discovered that google reader has portions of Bacteria for Breakfast online! It is blowing my mind!!!

I can't wait for my ILL request to be fulfilled at the library.

I have been slogging my way through the SCD after years of chronic sneezing, depression, eczema and GI issues. I feel like in many ways that I am on the right track but this book is opening my eyes to the world of bacteria and enzymes.

It is just what I needed to get me over my slump. Thanks for the suggestion!

My whole family history is riddled with allergies, skin issues, GI issues, etc. And now that ds is almost totally weaned he is beginning to get sneezy and rashy too! I am hoping that by adding more probiotics and enzymes to his diet we can maybe break this family chain?

I just feel incredibly burdened and guilty that I didn't figure this all out b4 I was pregnant with him, ya know.

best wishes to you all - i am enjoying this thread.
#135 of 286 Old 12-20-2007, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazer View Post
Do you find that low-carb works best to manage your PCOS symptoms? Are you just eliminating grains or are you doing more? You wrote that "once again" your ovaries are covered in cysts? What did you do to not make them covered before? I'll write it again: PCOS SUCKS.
I'm not Kristen, but for me, grain-free is more effective in controlling my PCOS symptoms than just going low carb (but still eating some grains). After doing a lot of research, I have discovered that grains contain phytoestrogens. Women with PCOS are usually warned to avoid soy because of phytoestrogens, but nobody ever mentions that grains also contain these hormone-like chemicals. Removing the grain entirely removes the artificial "balance" that was preventing my body from producing estrogens, and forces my body to rely on it's native hormones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIris View Post
Would you eat buckwheat noodles on a grain-free diet? Are they considered a grain?
I don't eat them, and consider them a grain for myself, because I'm afraid that A- eating them would set off a binge and B- eating them would cause issues with my hormones. However, eating them on occasion may work for you. Each of us has to decide what restrictions we need and can live with.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#136 of 286 Old 12-20-2007, 02:44 AM

Anyone do grain free on a tight budget? I'm really thinking in the New Year that I want to try going grain free for a few months and see how I feel. But this is right when we are going absolutely broke, need to cut some money out of the food budget even (from $500 to more like $300 if possible) and it is tempting to resort to PBJ (albeit organic pb, all fruit spread and sprouted bread) for lunch everyday and rice every night to stretch meat to cut costs down.

What do you pay for groceries? Anyone willing to post a sample week or 2 menu?

Thanks.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#137 of 286 Old 12-20-2007, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been researching tonight and came across this thread. I'm hoping you all can help me! First, a little background: I have had a headache for almost 2 years among other symptoms.....tired, achey, moody, general BLAH feeling.
I've been to doctors (family, neurologist, naturopath) and have found out about all sorts of health problems and food allergies, but correcting them has done nothing for my headache and other issues. I found out a few months ago that I am severely allergic to milk (5+ on a scale of 0-5), eggs and sunflower (in the 2+ category). Wheat came back as 0, but now I'm starting to wonder if that is correct. Or maybe it's gluten intolerance which wouldn't necessarily show up on the test. Anyhow, I have been dairy free for about 3 months with NO improvement....although if I slip I do get a terrible migraine, shortness of breath, and worse muscle achiness, but the regular old headache is still there 24/7. So I'm thinking of also going wheat/gluten free in addition to dairy free and it is seeming impossible to me! What would I eat? I have just recently learned about quinoa and other things, but I don't even know "what" they are. Thanks for any help you can give me!

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#138 of 286 Old 12-20-2007, 07:33 AM

Hi! I'm just subbing since this looks like a great thread. I haven't read it all yet, but will probably be back to complain about how difficult it is to keep a toddler grain free without isolating him from the rest of life around. Celiac runs in my family, I don't have it but am definitely intolerant to gluten. I generally eat a very low carb diet with almost no fibre. It's how I feel best. DH loves how he feels and functions when he eats "my" way, but tends to gravitate back to the heavy bread, cheese and salami...Germans love their bread. My older son (27 mos) is gluten and casein intolerant, and very sensitive to salicilates.. you can imagine how limited his diet is and how crazy people think I am. He is constantly being glutened and salicylated by sneaky people who want to give him something "that he loves." The baby (6 mos) definitely reacts when I eat dairy, which is a no no for me but I lvoe it and bread down sometimes.
#139 of 286 Old 12-20-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolelynn View Post
Anyone do grain free on a tight budget? I'm really thinking in the New Year that I want to try going grain free for a few months and see how I feel. But this is right when we are going absolutely broke, need to cut some money out of the food budget even (from $500 to more like $300 if possible) and it is tempting to resort to PBJ (albeit organic pb, all fruit spread and sprouted bread) for lunch everyday and rice every night to stretch meat to cut costs down.

Thanks.
I'm not sure that organic peanut butter, all fruit spread, and sprouted bread (unless you make it yourself) is a particularly frugal meal to begin with!

I've found that organ meats tend to be a lot cheaper than muscle meats- liver and onions makes for a cheaper meal than burgers! Canned fish is pretty inexpensive as well.

Spaghetti squash is pretty cheap this time of year and a good substitute for pasta.

What I suggest you do is make a list of all the foods you still ARE including in your diet: are you cutting out starchy vegetables or beans? If you're still eating those, they can be the basis of meals.

You also don't necessarily need to make grain-free foods for your whole family. You can stretch the meat and veggies further if other family members are eating some kind of cheap starch along with it.

#140 of 286 Old 12-20-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
I have been researching tonight and came across this thread. I'm hoping you all can help me! First, a little background: I have had a headache for almost 2 years among other symptoms.....tired, achey, moody, general BLAH feeling.
I've been to doctors (family, neurologist, naturopath) and have found out about all sorts of health problems and food allergies, but correcting them has done nothing for my headache and other issues. I found out a few months ago that I am severely allergic to milk (5+ on a scale of 0-5), eggs and sunflower (in the 2+ category). Wheat came back as 0, but now I'm starting to wonder if that is correct. Or maybe it's gluten intolerance which wouldn't necessarily show up on the test. Anyhow, I have been dairy free for about 3 months with NO improvement....although if I slip I do get a terrible migraine, shortness of breath, and worse muscle achiness, but the regular old headache is still there 24/7. So I'm thinking of also going wheat/gluten free in addition to dairy free and it is seeming impossible to me! What would I eat? I have just recently learned about quinoa and other things, but I don't even know "what" they are. Thanks for any help you can give me!
Well, rice is gluten-free and you're probably already familiar with how to prepare that! Also potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squashes, etc, can all be used in place of grains in meals, if you're not trying to limit carbs.

Do you have a health food store or Trader Joe's in your area? Trader Joe's sells quinoa (pronounced keenwa) and their box has cooking instructions on it. TJ's also sells almond meal which is a great base for gluten-free baking- I use it a lot because it's also low carb, unlike the "gluten free baking mixes" that rely on rice, corn, and bean flours. If you can get to a HFS, talk to an employee about their gluten-free products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg_s View Post
Hi! I'm just subbing since this looks like a great thread. I haven't read it all yet, but will probably be back to complain about how difficult it is to keep a toddler grain free without isolating him from the rest of life around. Celiac runs in my family, I don't have it but am definitely intolerant to gluten. I generally eat a very low carb diet with almost no fibre. It's how I feel best. DH loves how he feels and functions when he eats "my" way, but tends to gravitate back to the heavy bread, cheese and salami...Germans love their bread. My older son (27 mos) is gluten and casein intolerant, and very sensitive to salicilates.. you can imagine how limited his diet is and how crazy people think I am. He is constantly being glutened and salicylated by sneaky people who want to give him something "that he loves." The baby (6 mos) definitely reacts when I eat dairy, which is a no no for me but I lvoe it and bread down sometimes.
I wonder if your DH would do better with an all rye sourdough bread- it's closer to what his ancestors ate than the yeast-based wheat breads that are readily available.

Toddlers ARE hard to keep on elimination diets. Older kids can speak up for themselves, and babies just don't eat much but mama milk (or formula)- although I wouldn't be surprised if extended family members try to feed the baby assorted crap soon "since s/he's old enough for solids."

I would start teaching your older one to NOT eat whatever he's been offered without checking with a parent first. It will be harder for people to sneak him stuff if he's in the habit of asking "Mommy, can I eat this?" before eating anything. I wouldn't expect him to always remember at this age, but it's a good habit to start getting him into, and is a very effective long-term strategy.

#141 of 286 Old 12-20-2007, 11:12 AM

oops, I meant break down sometimes, not bread down

That is a good idea, to come check with me. At the moment I have a babysitter who is out with him for a couple of hours, a few days a week (for his sake, because I can't do as much as I want to with him because of the baby) and she's very respectful but makes mistakes, and sooooooo disappointed that she can't feed him tons of treats. He also goes twice a week for 2 hours to a "kinderhaus" basically a daycare, and <roar with frustration> they give the kids "healthy" snacks hourly. DS throws fits when they try to keep all of the food they have away from them. I bring food in for him, but he wants THEIR food.

Grain free on a tight budget: we eat a LOT of eggs.. they're cheap. Breakfast for ds is usually a "pancake" made with 2 eggs and a couple tbs of rice flour. DH and I don't eat breakfast.

Chicken thighs are a cheap meat and they're the standard lunch, with some potato

Soup is always made from the leftover bones, and a minimal of spices

we loove fried rice, and it really extends the meat

ground beef is cheap too

Once a week I make a big beef stew. I eat just the stew, the boys like extra carrots and potatoes in it
#142 of 286 Old 12-20-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
oops, I meant break down sometimes, not bread down

That is a good idea, to come check with me. At the moment I have a babysitter who is out with him for a couple of hours, a few days a week (for his sake, because I can't do as much as I want to with him because of the baby) and she's very respectful but makes mistakes, and sooooooo disappointed that she can't feed him tons of treats. He also goes twice a week for 2 hours to a "kinderhaus" basically a daycare, and <roar with frustration> they give the kids "healthy" snacks hourly. DS throws fits when they try to keep all of the food they have away from them. I bring food in for him, but he wants THEIR food.
I'd get some acceptable treats for the babysitter to give him, and if she wants to buy him anything ask her to buy it BEFORE taking him out, and have you approve all treats first.

Maybe stop the kinderhaus if they can't keep him safe while he's there? Are the benefits (you get a break from him, he gets some social time and a break from you and the baby) worth it if he comes home contaminated and has bad behavior/feels yucky when he gets back?

Is there another preschool option where they don't have such frequent snacks? I mean, for a 2 hour program I really do think toddlers are OK without a snack!

#143 of 286 Old 12-20-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIris View Post

Iris
It is grain and I wouldn't eat it because I'm grain free. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDB View Post
I just discovered that google reader has portions of Bacteria for Breakfast online! It is blowing my mind!!!
Oooh, got a link? I wonder if we are eating enough bacteria and enzymes here. We do some lacto-fermented veggies, and I do kombucha, and that's about it for now as far as good bacteria goes. Oh, we also eat raw egg yolks which have good enzymes in them. I don't know how to get more enzymes into the three-year-old, he's so picky.

Quote:
Anyone do grain free on a tight budget?
No, I feel guilty about how much I spend. But then I buy all organic, and food is more expensive up here in the NE than anywhere else in the nation. But we spend about $250 a week on groceries. Now, that includes about $80 worth of kombucha a week, which one could make at home, if one is handy with that kind of thing . We usually get tons of bananas and eggs-- cheap, and we make banana smoothies and banana pancakes with them-- and then some other items are splurges. The kombucha, obviously. The goat cheese we get that DS likes-- he is so picky and only likes cheddar-like cheese, and this one is $7 for 4.5 oz.. : We also get frozen organic green peas and green beans.

The other big cost item is our organic, free-range meat. Organic chicken and beef is EXPENSIVE! : But you could save a LOT of money by not buying organic. Also, make beef and chicken broths with your bony meat parts, and that stretches your dollar, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
I found out a few months ago that I am severely allergic to milk (5+ on a scale of 0-5), eggs and sunflower (in the 2+ category). Wheat came back as 0, but now I'm starting to wonder if that is correct. Or maybe it's gluten intolerance which wouldn't necessarily show up on the test. Anyhow, I have been dairy free for about 3 months with NO improvement....
I was tested as egg and dairy allergic. I eat tons of eggs all the time. What I have found is that raw egg white is what I react to, no the egg yolk. I eat cooked egg white in moderation and the egg yolks are a-okay raw or cooked.

Grain intolerance is not either an allergy or a lifetime sentence. I believe it is more of a symptom of other health problems. But then, I thnk allergies are a symptoms of other health problems, too . . . basically, it's all about getting your body back in to balance.

Quote:
Hi! I'm just subbing since this looks like a great thread. I haven't read it all yet, but will probably be back to complain about how difficult it is to keep a toddler grain free without isolating him from the rest of life around.
My three-year-old and one-year-old are grain-free-- and sugar, sweetener, and additive free. We don't eat anything except what I've prepeared for them, but I'm not afriad to tell people "no" and "don't feed him". there have been a couple of accidents, but people are getting the message. I don't let any family member babysit if I don't trust them to be careful about it (so there are people who are not allowed to babysit him anymore).

One of the hard parts for us, was that the three-year-old was addicted to grains and sweets. He didn't want to eat anything except grain-products or sweets. So we had to take away everything he liked, every favorite food. that was hard. But we discovered new food he likes-- banana pancakes-- made with just eggs, bananas, and a dash of cinnamon, pureed in the blender and then fried in butter like pancakes-- and banana smoothie, which is his life-staple-- here is our recipe:

Two bananas
Two heaping tablespoonfuls Nutiva raw coconut oil
a dash of sea salt
a couple of dashes of cinnamon
a pat of cultured organic butter
three-four raw organic egg yolks
no sweetener required.

Blend well.

He eats banana smoothie more than anything else, two-three times a day, sometimes more.

BTW: the boys and I are allergic to cow dairy-- the one-year-old being extremely allergic-- but we are fine with goat products and also the cultured butter doesn't cause us any problems, not even the one-year-old.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#144 of 286 Old 12-20-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
Not sure if this is helpful to you in any way, but to give you an idea:

We didn’t eat any meat for about 10 months and I just started again last week. We ate a raw/veg diet and spent about $200 a week for the both of us. We still spend about that now. The difference is, there is less produce I want to eat during this time of year and I'm making that up with purchasing grass fed beef, range chicken and wild fish. So its still about $200 a week give or take.

In terms of produce, nuts, and other staples, we eat about 95% organic and purchased from farmers markets.

I'm sure we could do it for less, but I'm pretty picky with my food, so it would be pointless because I woulnt really like what I got. We dont eat beans or starchy vegetables, dairy or eggs. When I buy chicken, I buy the whole thing.

We buy:
Vegetables
Fruit
Nuts and seeds (most types)
Sea veggies
Fermented foods
Meat and fish
Extras (spices, vanilla, etc)
Wine (though I didnt include that in my stats)
I also didnt include eating out - which we do about 2x a week.
#145 of 286 Old 12-20-2007, 02:32 PM
QDB

Bacteria for Breakfast

There you are, my dear.

I agree that allergies are a sign of imbalance - I am becoming more and more convinced of this actually.

And as far as money goes, well, I spend more than our mortgage on food each month. For a family of three, I can easily spend $1000/month. Try as I might I cannot seem to get it much below that - all our meat, veggies and dairy are organic and/or local and we get raw milk from a local farm nearby. I make our yogurt and sometimes butter - I also make all our food including lunch for DH to take to work.

It is a lot of time, money and effort but I truly believe our health would be in the pits without it.
#146 of 286 Old 12-20-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
To stretch your budget AND go grain-free, I'd really concentrate on adding beans. A big pot of chili can be made for just a few dollars and can feed you for several days. Soup is the same. Roast a whole chicken. Eat the thighs, legs and wings. Chop up the breast for chicken salad, toss the carcass into the soup pot and you've got 5 or 6 meals (maybe more) out of that chicken. Like the pp said, eggs are also a cheap source of protein. We eat eggs just about every day around here, we go through a couple dozen a week. Scrambled, fritattas, quiches, omelettes, custards, muffins, deviled, salad, there's all sorts of things you can do with them.

This week's menu:
Saturday
Lunch - fritatta
Dinner - borscht

Sunday
Lunch - grassfed burger patty on a bed of greens, with all the trimmings
Dinner - Whole roast chicken, roast cauliflower

Monday
B- Bacon and eggs
L- chicken salad (from leftover chicken), yogurt, fruit
D- Pumpkin Moussaka

Tuesday
B- Egg Custard
L- Moussaka, yogurt, fruit
D- Pork ribs, mashed potatoes

Wednesday
B- Egg Custard
L- Moussaka, you get the idea...
D- Pan fried chicken thighs, green salad

Thursday
B- Egg Custard
L- Moussaka
D- More pork ribs, roasted brussel sprouts

Friday
B- Egg Custard
L- Moussaka
D- Friday is leftovers night

As for shopping... for the two of us, every week I buy a package of (6) boneless skinless chicken thighs (cheaper and tastier than breasts, although it's even cheaper to get them on the bone), 1 lb of ground meat (this week was lamb), a whole chicken, and some weeks (like this week) a package of pork. This is about $25 worth of meat. Then I add 2-3 dozen eggs (another $4-6). Bacon I buy every other or every 3rd week, that's another $7-8.

The real expense is the organic produce and organic dairy. I spend about $12/gallon for milk, plus another $3-6 for organic cream. I make my own yogurt and ice cream from this, the rest usually winds up in DH's coffee cup (neither of us is a milk drinker). I do not buy organic cheese, but even conventional cheese costs a pretty penny, so I stock up when it's on sale.

At the farmer's market... A couple pounds of organic potatoes is another $5. Conventional brussel sprouts (1 lb) is $2. 2 heads of organic cauliflower is $5. 8 organic apples is $7, 1/2 a pound of organic mixed greens is $2.50, organic butternut (2) is another $5, organic satsumas are another $5. You get the idea. All told I usually spend $40-50 at the farmer's market.

During the summer I spend more at the market, and freeze or can quite a bit, so I have a freezer full of summer fruits, and a pantry full of homemade honey-sweetened jams.

I highly recommend shopping around if you haven't already. I happen to know that I can get X at this store for the cheapest, but if I buy Y I need to go to this other store for it. I know that buying pork at the sausage shop is cheaper than buying it at the grocery store, and it's better quality to boot. I know where to go for anything in bulk (it takes a special trip though), and that unless I want fresh fish, not to go into Whole Foods (which is 2 blocks away). My shopping expeditions are predictable. Every Saturday I park the car at Trader Joes and walk across the street to the Market. Once I've bought all my produce then I go into Trader Joes for the rest. Whatever I can't get there I head over to Safeway or Lucky for. If I want pork, then I make another stop at the sausage shop. Every couple months I make a special trip out to the locally-owned HFS for bulk everything (beans, spices, dried fruits, they have it all). All told, living in one of the most expensive cost-of-living areas in the country, our grocery budget is about $100-150/week, depending on the week.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#147 of 286 Old 12-20-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
As for shopping... for the two of us, every week I buy a package of (6) boneless skinless chicken thighs (cheaper and tastier than breasts, although it's even cheaper to get them on the bone), 1 lb of ground meat (this week was lamb), a whole chicken, and some weeks (like this week) a package of pork. This is about $25 worth of meat. Then I add 2-3 dozen eggs (another $4-6). Bacon I buy every other or every 3rd week, that's another $7-8.
Question for you (and everyone else). Do you concentrate on a certain quality of meat? Organic, free range or just what you can find at the store? I noticed for budget purposes some advice given is to buy thighs, etc. But free range chickens doing usually dont come in bits and pieces. I usually buy it whole or half from the farmers markets or a local butcher I know. If he does have pieces, it usually cost much more per pound. In my experience its cheaper to buy the whole thing.
#148 of 286 Old 12-20-2007, 03:18 PM
QDB

I prefer the taste of the thighs but I usually buy the whole thing too as we always buy local so...I like having the extra pieces for stock and I use the breasts for DH's cheesy chicken salady wrap things that he likes for lunch. Plus the cats will eat bits of skin and the small leftovers.

So, I focus on local but that does not save much money - it is more of a personal than economic decision for me.

I also grind meat with this nifty little meat grinder that attaches to my kitchen aid mixer - fun stuff!! It doesn't always save money but I am experimenting making my own sausages (minus the casings as I don't yet have the stuffer!).
#149 of 286 Old 12-20-2007, 04:43 PM

Beef I buy grassfed, chicken I just buy the kind with no hormones and no antibiotics... the organic is twice the price. Pork, I can't afford the "better" kind there, either. I have looked into buying a cow share, bison share, lamb share, pig share and local grown chickens, since it's cheaper than buying it weekly, but we don't have room in the freezer right now for any of it. My freezer is currently full of the summer's bounty and a bunch of duck. When I do have room, we will be buying our meat in bulk from local farmers.

#150 of 286 Old 12-20-2007, 05:31 PM

Good to hear how much people are spending on food. We spend about $800-$1000 a month for the 4 of us not counting eating out. I thought thats outrageous, but meat is expensive. I was vegetarian for 10+ years and I remember only spending $400-600 a month (but thats only 3 of us and my 7 year old eats as much as I do now!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page