Traditional food GRAIN-FREE diets tribe! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 286 Old 12-12-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought it would be nice to start a tribe for mamas who are following healing diets for like The Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) or The Body Ecology Diet (BED) and others, that are grain-free and sugar-free (and largely starch-free, too). It can be a hard lifestyle to follow and I could use some support and camraderie! I know there are a few others on this board, besides me. Want to "hang out" and chat? Sometimes I feel like the weirdest of the weird, when it comes to food and diet.

:

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#2 of 286 Old 12-12-2007, 10:41 PM

I'm there!
#3 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 01:27 AM

Me too. Just started the SCD today, for the second time. Did the first one for my celiac in college. Had a bad relapse and so have started again. My question of the day is 'how will this diet effect my figure now that I've had a baby and don't have a problem with wasting'? I was 108 when I first did the diet and it normalized my weight at about 120-125. Now that I'm a BFing mother who doesn't exercise as hard I seem to pack more weight in my saddle bags and butt, nice. What's going to happen to my blossoming bottom now? Also, how can I make the yogurt in my oven? I bought a heating pad to do it that way but the darn thing has an auto timer that shuts it off every hour
#4 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 01:31 AM

#5 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

I'm supposed to be in bed so I'll be back tomorrow.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#6 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 10:54 AM

Can I lurk? I'm just trying to cut way back on grains and am definitely looking for ideas, but I'm not doing any particular diet and my family as a whole will still be eating them.
#7 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 12:16 PM

Grain-free (well 95% of the time anyway) and lovin' it.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#8 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! There's more of us than I expected! I thought there might be one or two others.

Quote:
My question of the day is 'how will this diet effect my figure now that I've had a baby and don't have a problem with wasting'? I was 108 when I first did the diet and it normalized my weight at about 120-125. Now that I'm a BFing mother who doesn't exercise as hard I seem to pack more weight in my saddle bags and butt, nice. What's going to happen to my blossoming bottom now?
If it's a healthy diet for you, it should normalize your figure again-- help you be just the right size for you. However, sometimes tweaking the diet is in order to help it be just right for you.

Quote:
Also, how can I make the yogurt in my oven? I bought a heating pad to do it that way but the darn thing has an auto timer that shuts it off every hour.
Bummer about the timer. I made my yogurt without a heating pad and it turned out great. Of course, then I found out that the boys couldn't even tolerate the 24-hour yogurt, so I haven't made yogurt in two months. I am going to try goat yogurt next time-- soon. I turned the oven on warm and then turned it off after I put the yogurt in, I think, just left the light on. I covered the yogurt with a cloth towel while it was in there.

#9 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

My intro!

DH and I are 24, and we have two boys, ages three and one.

I started having a lot of health problems when I was pregnant with DS1-- depression, serious anxiety, lethargy and weakness, and joint pain among other things. My son was showing lots of signs of ill health also, and I didn't know what was wrong. Lots of dry skin, excema, also no weight gain and he was small and skinny (he had been large at birth and pretty much until he started solids-- then he just stopped gaining.) It was very frustrating.

Then he was two years old and I was pregnant with number two. My second pregnancy seemed to be going better than the first time as I was extremely strict about limiting sugar and getting enough protein and nutrients (so I was eating less grain. didn't make the connection at the time). However my son was starting to have some troubling symptoms. He still was barely gaining any weight-- he had been wearing the same size clothing for over a year and a half-- and he was starting to show detached and slightly autistic-like symptoms. He had been potty-trained and he totally regressed in that area. He had trouble sleeping, and he woke up screaming and complaining of abdominal pain in the middle of the night, several times a night. We took him to the ER and to the doctor. The ER told us he was fine, that it was night terrors. The doctor said he wa slightly anemic, and had some low lead levels. So we moved out of that apartment and tried to feed him a high-iron diet (but he had already been getting a healthy, TF diet!)

I began to suspect that he had a problem with wheat, because he always craved bread products so much. He also craved sweets, even though we only gave him natural sweeteners, but it got to the point where he wouldn't eat anything if it wasn't with honey or maple syrup or sucanat. Which was so frustrating because we didn't raise him that way at all! But I started giving in just to get him to eat something.

I knew something was very off for him, and at that point I started researching like mad.

We started the gluten-free, casein-free diet. I followed it too, for my newborn's sake and because my health problems had resurfaced. My second son had been born and had a very strong reaction to dairy products-- it made him vomit if I had even a small amount. And I had started having much worse physical symptoms-- I recognized the symptoms of celiac disease in myself. At first Ithought I was pregnant again, because I felt nauseaous all the time! But no, it was just digestive issues. So all three of us went GFCF, and it helped some, but not enough. We had begun eating more and more rice products and DS1 and I started having the exact same problems he had had before. He bagen to refuse to eat anything except rice products! I went back and researched more. That's how I learned about the SCD diet.

We've been on the SCD for about three or four months now (I forget!) and it has made a HUGE difference for my eldest son. I am doing better, too, but I feel the need to make a few more adjustments. I am going to order the Body Ecology Diet book to see if there is anything there that can help me as well. If not, I'll keep looking . . .

I am really excited about this, though, I can feel my body detoxing so much!

Sorry that was so long!

#10 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 01:58 PM

I'm 24 too. Here's my story.

When I was 20 I decided to go vegetarian. I was kind of a just eat whatever person to begin with, and I think being vegetarian just pushed things over the edge. I would make stirfries for dinner with a few veggies and like mountains and mountains of rice. Bread. Pasta. I would chill out on the couch and eat almost an entire box of teddy grahams all by myself.

I started getting heart palpitations, then I started getting them a LOT and it got scary really fast. I went to the ER one day when I thought my heart was going to squirm out of my chest and got a holter monitor. My doc read the results of it and he said "well, these results are interesting. Interesting is not the word you want to hear about this stuff."

Anyway, I got a lot of other fancy expensive tests. No one would tell me what the problem was. Some of the docs/techs thought I was making it all up, because I was 20 and couldn't possibly have a heart problem. Well, finally, at my last test, the nicest doc I'd seen so far told me that I had mitral valve prolapse and that he could prescribe me beta blockers. I said no way, and decided to research it on my own.

I found a great little alternative medicine book about my condition, and found the website http://www.beyondveg.com at the same time. The alt med book mentioned carbs eliciting an insulin response that causes the palpitations I had been experiencing. I had been poisoning myself with my "healthy" vegetarian grains. And the beyondveg website introduced me to the concept of The Paleo Diet. Paleo is basically a meat, eggs, fruits, nuts, veggies diet. No grains, dairy, beans, sugar, or processed food allowed. It is based on evolutionary concepts.

I was an anthropology minor in college, so this was totally up my alley. I took the concept and ran with it. I'm now almost entirely grain and dairy free and I feel so much better than I ever have before in my life. My heart palpitations are gone. My back doesn't hurt anymore. I don't have any gas (I used to be a one-woman symphony). My digestion normalized. My appetite normalized. I'm happier and healthier in every way.

I wouldn't say I'm 100% of what I could be though. I still have my whole lifetime of bad eating to get over. But this is a great start.

#11 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 02:55 PM

Yikes girls! I'm 24 as well. I guess I'll give a bit more background, even though what you two are saying is all too familiar. My sister had mitral valve prolapse, among other things, before being diagnosed celiac. She was also infertile and just months after going GF she conceived! Anyway, I was scary skinny, had really bad acne, was always sick and very weak and started to have SEVERE bone and joint pains...not to mention I was presenting with serious psychiatric issues. By 20 I had osteopenia. Went SCD in college for a year and then went GF. Had to go dairy free as well with DS b/c he reacted terribly to it, probably couldn't handle it b/c he was having intestinal trouble due to a source of gluten in my diet that had been bothering him. He manifested full blown celiac until about 9 mo or so. I got something icky in my diet last weekend that felt like it burned a hole in my intestine and so am SCD again. I think I'll stay on it indef if possible as I realized that we were reacting not only to gluten but to all grains.l..I didn't know this was possible until I read the SCD book. I hadn't realized it was ever postulated that grains in general were a problem for celiacs. I'd like us to be healthy as I am now finding out that my grandmother was just diagnosed with yet another heritable, serious nerve, cancer, issue, thingy. The doc hasn't given us the name of it yet so I can research it but I figure better be as healthy as I can!
#12 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Elizabeth, how long have you been on the Paleo diet?

And everyone, how are you getting through the holidays? It's my first grain-free Christmas and it is so hard for me! I really miss making cookies for Christmas. That was a yearly tradition. But I don't miss my poor health, or how I used to gain weight every Christmas season!

#13 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 03:09 PM

I was on it off and on since I found out about it 4 years ago, but I've only really been serious about it since January of this year. I'm always low-carb though, it's the only way to control my mitral valve prolapse.

#14 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow32000 View Post
My sister had mitral valve prolapse, among other things, before being diagnosed celiac. She was also infertile and just months after going GF she conceived!
That's great that GF helped her so much! The book that helped me so much with the mitral valve prolapse is Natural Therapies for Mitral Valve Prolapse by Ronald Hoffman. It's really inexpensive and it's a really quick read. http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Therap.../dp/0879837659 The book talks about how MVP isn't actually just a heart thing. It's often just the loudest symptom of a completely different problem, which is an imbalance in the autonomic system.

#15 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Elizabeth, how long have you been on the Paleo diet?

And everyone, how are you getting through the holidays? It's my first grain-free Christmas and it is so hard for me! I really miss making cookies for Christmas. That was a yearly tradition. But I don't miss my poor health, or how I used to gain weight every Christmas season!
Oh girl, if you haven't got the Lucy's SCD recipe book you gotta get it. I would kill for some of the raisin bread and the monster cookies! You won't miss out on anything, it'll just take more work. The cheese cake is really good too, but you have to drip the homemade yogurt to make the cheese I think. If you need some of those recipes you can get on the SCD websites and get them or I could PM you a few. Just watch out for the recipes on some of the websites, as people have posted some stuff with ingredients that aren't allowed on the diet.
#16 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 05:16 PM

Oh, and the Grain Free Gourmet...I LOVE the blueberry muffins!
#17 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 05:21 PM

I'll second the recommendation for Grain Free Gourmet!

I've been grain free for about 6 months now, with a short "break" over Thanksgiving. We don't celebrate Christmas, so it's not an issue here.

There are recipes for grain free cookies and cakes. I make a yummy almond pound cake that we love, and it's very versatile, can be used for (sweet) bread or cake, probably even muffins (although I've never tried that). And since it's a plain recipe, you can add any flavors you'd like. I've even made carrot cake out of it.

I do use honey and maple syrup in my cooking, as well as molasses.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#18 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, nuts. I have to be careful with the nuts. We tried making something with peanut butter and it was SO yummy but it made me so sick. I just introduced cashew nuts and we are taking them slow, and I'm not sure if my body is okay with them or not yet. Definitely not ready to add almond flour yet.

That nut bread stuff sure sounds yummy, though. :

#19 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 06:08 PM

Me too! I have been dabbling in adding much more raw food however , but a traditional grain free diet was what seemed to get my health on the right track!

Adding that I have been grain free for over a year now. Not seeing any major issues related to lack of vitamins or minerals. My psoriasis is not an issue unless I get really stressed or mess up with food stuff. ( which for me included psoriatic arthritis, bone pain)

:
#20 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Mama View Post
Adding that I have been grain free for over a year now. Not seeing any major issues related to lack of vitamins or minerals. My psoriasis is not an issue unless I get really stressed or mess up with food stuff. ( which for me included psoriatic arthritis, bone pain)
So long as you're eating your plenty of veggies and protein, you shouldn't see any issues related to lack of vitamins or minerals (barring medical issues). Grains do not provide any vitamins or minerals that are not available from something else. This is one of the things that I have the hardest time convincing people of... grains are not a necessary part of our diet. They're just a convenient part. Living without them definitely has a learning curve, but is completely doable. People always look at me as if I were insane to suggest living without grains. Then they start asking "is rice a grain? popcorn? pizza?" etc...

I went grain free as an attempt to control my PCOS for TTC without resorting to Metformin. After 6 months TTC, I just started back on the Metformin last week. Without grains in my diet though, I have not had the bad reactions to it that I did last time (so far <knock on wood>). I'm hoping that my diet was the cause of the problems last time.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#21 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 07:39 PM

I strive for a TF "low carb" way of living.

I also am limited on some food choices as I am bf'ing an ANA food allergic toddler.

Resistance is futile Matey
#22 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
So long as you're eating your plenty of veggies and protein, you shouldn't see any issues related to lack of vitamins or minerals (barring medical issues). Grains do not provide any vitamins or minerals that are not available from something else. This is one of the things that I have the hardest time convincing people of... grains are not a necessary part of our diet. They're just a convenient part. Living without them definitely has a learning curve, but is completely doable. People always look at me as if I were insane to suggest living without grains. Then they start asking "is rice a grain? popcorn? pizza?" etc...

I went grain free as an attempt to control my PCOS for TTC without resorting to Metformin. After 6 months TTC, I just started back on the Metformin last week. Without grains in my diet though, I have not had the bad reactions to it that I did last time (so far <knock on wood>). I'm hoping that my diet was the cause of the problems last time.
That was the reason I mentioned it at all1 I remember , while knowing that my body wasn't tolerating grains well at all, feeling worried that I was going to do some sort of damage to my body. We are taught our whole lives that grains are an essential, base of the pyramid, part of our diets. I tried to do some research at the time and found that Mercola was advocating a grain free diet... thank goodness! Otherwise there was only nutritional info on gluten free diets, which had actually made my problems worsen considerably because of the refined nature of the flours.

:
#23 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm also doing low carb- it's the only way I've ever lost weight.

I do allow small amounts of quinoa, corn, or rice- but not every day and not "full portions"- but I probably would be healthier if I cut those out completely.

I eat a lot of poultry, eggs, and nuts- I think I'd go crazy if I couldn't eat nuts!!!

You could probably make some sort of gelatin dessert if you can't have nuts or any beans or grains.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#24 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
You could probably make some sort of gelatin dessert if you can't have nuts or any beans or grains.
Absolutely. You can make jello if you allow fruit juices (100% juice, no additives), or you can make danish cream which is a creamy mousse-like jello. Heck, you could probably even make a mousse... egg whites, cream, gelatin, honey, flavor of your choice.

I make ice cream and custards all the time with honey. Since honey quickly becomes cloying for me, I can't eat very much, but it's a nice high fat sweet with some protein in it.

But for me, during the summer, a bowl of chopped summer fruits and berries and some fresh whipped cream is all I need.

#25 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 08:31 PM

hi i'm here aswell : -
we don't do any grains, or any starches. we are doing the scd according to 'gut and psycology syndrome' (GAPS diet). it is helping us lots, the day i cut the grains and starch was amazing my very low blood sugar improved immediatly, it was like a miracle! i've got more to write but have to go to bed now will check in again.

hi everyone..

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
#26 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 09:18 PM

Great thread!!

I am reluctantly grain free again as I tried my last grain yesterday, white rice, and I felt like I had eaten a football stadium. Before DD was conceived, I did Atkins/Neanderthin combo (because I ate dairy) for most of three years and I cured most of my blood-sugar issues related to PCOS. But then during pregnancy, I added in sprouted grains, and then while breastfeeding, added in non-sprouted grains because of being so darn hungry all the time. I tried to eat a big plate of meat and veggies while breastfeeding and would be hungry again soon after, so it seemed like I needed grains to satiate me. I don't understand why because I ate lots of fruits, too. It didn't seem like an addiction, but honestly I was hungry what felt like every waking second. A few months ago, DD started having digestive issues and it finally dawned on me that the grains were the problem for her. I already had to cut out dairy very early because of her reactions to it.

To sum it up, this week I am fully back to my cavewoman diet and I'm doing OK with it, although the lack of seasonal organic fresh fruits and veggies is making it hard. But the most important thing to me is that my 10 month old seems so much better. She is still 99% nursing, and I'm sure now that her digestive probs seem to be gone, will be eating more solids now.

I am reluctantly grain free because two non-paleo foods I love and really enjoyed while breastfeeding have been oatmeal and popcorn. With both I would use tons of butter and mix in dried fruits and nuts. DD can't handle nuts right now, but maybe in a few months I'll be able to sneak some in. Given my health history, being grain free is very important and I'm glad I've been able to adapt once again to it. Why I couldn't do it while first breastfeeding I'll never know because I haven't gone through any withdrawl symptoms now that I've cut them out.:

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#27 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sharon- maybe try including starchy veggies such as yams and winter squashes?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#28 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
And everyone, how are you getting through the holidays?
It stinks not making Christmas cookies, but one of the fun things is that you can experiment with your own recipes.

Here are a few ideas for holiday baking that I did way back when I first started this way of eating:

Pumpkin pie made without any sugar (except maybe a touch of honey or maple syrup) and made with an almond flour and butter crust.

My version of haystacks - coconut, nuts, minimal dried fruit stuck together with melted chocolate.

I used to do a lot with heavy cream, alas no more because of DD's dairy intolerances. But there are lots of things you can do with meringue.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#29 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Sharon- maybe try including starchy veggies such as yams and winter squashes?
DD can't seem to tolerate yams. But I still have a bunch of spaghetti squashes that I grew waiting to be eaten.

#30 of 286 Old 12-13-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazer View Post
I tried to eat a big plate of meat and veggies while breastfeeding and would be hungry again soon after, so it seemed like I needed grains to satiate me.

I am reluctantly grain free because two non-paleo foods I love and really enjoyed while breastfeeding have been oatmeal and popcorn. With both I would use tons of butter and mix in dried fruits and nuts.
Those two together say to me that you might need more fat in your diet. Especially while BF, fat is very important. When you remove the grain from your diet, you remove a large source of dietary fats, i.e. butter.

Personally, I've found that oftentimes if I'm craving grain (bread, popcorn, whatever), if I go eat a pat of butter, the craving is taken care of. It's just that we don't usually reach for a fat without a grain. Cheese, nut butter, high fat dairy (we only use half and half and heavy cream), eggs, bacon, mayo, avocado are all good food sources of fats, but personally I just prefer my pat of butter.

HTH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page