TF and menstruation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-26-2007, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious to know how eating TF has changed anyone's menstrual cycle - for better or worse.

I have recently begun eating more TF and not being a veg anymore. However, my cycles have had more bleeding, more blood clots and more cramps (a lot more cramps). Talked to a naturopath about all of this and am not getting any answers except to take some chaste herb tincture and ground sesame or sunflower seeds. I did find taking a powdered magnesium drink that he gave me helped the cramps go away if they were mild. But recent blood tests show that both my calcium and magnesium counts are normal.

Shouldn't things be getting better not worse? We want to TTC soon, but this has me concerned that something is wrong.

Anyone else have experiences like this? Is my body just ridding itself of ucky stuff in getting more healthy?
#2 of 21 Old 12-27-2007, 12:26 AM

Do you know if you have any food allergies? My cycles were more off when we first started eating TF because I was eating WAY more dairy--it was raw and sooooo yummy. I am intolerant of dairy but didn't know it until I eliminated it a few months later (I started having migraines). Now, on a gluten and dairy free mostly TF diet, my cycles are like clockwork for the first time since puberty. I think both TF and eliminating allergens has played a role.
#3 of 21 Old 12-27-2007, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

I've always eaten a lot of dairy - not milk, but cheese and yogurt. Now I'm eating more, but all raw or fermented. I still don't like milk tho. We got raw milk from the farm next door when I was little and once we moved into town and bought the store bought stuff, I never liked it again. Had to drink it 2x per day growing up in our house and once I got older I never touched it. Even the raw stuff makes me gag now. However, I do like it in a milkshake with banana, berries, coconut oil etc.

So, no, I don't think it's allergies... I just wish I knew what it was. My dh says it shouldn't be so hard to be healthy - espec since I try so hard to do everything right.
#4 of 21 Old 12-27-2007, 02:51 AM

if anything I've noticed my cycles getting longer. Like from 28 days to 31. not a big deal, might be my hormones still working themselves out from breastfeeding (didn't get AF until dd was 17 months, stopped bf'ing at 21 months, which was last May). when I was a teen they were about 31 days so maybe that's normal for me?

It IS hard to be healthy, simply because of the unhealthy attitude of our society towards food! I don't like milk either but I feel I get a good amount of calcium and I don't think we need to force ourselves to drink copious milk when we get good cheese and yogurt.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#5 of 21 Old 12-27-2007, 08:37 PM

Just got my period back 18 months after my son's birth during which we have transitioned to about 80-85% TF. I noticed that it was somewhat heavier but there was actually an absence of cramping. (I always have cramping on the first day at least) Some of the dietary caused I am wandering about include: pretty much cutting out soy (phyto- estrogens) and cutting out cow-dairy ( to which I am allergic) but introducing raw goats milk.
#6 of 21 Old 12-27-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
if anything I've noticed my cycles getting longer. Like from 28 days to 31.
Same here. Almost exactly like you, except I think mine was more like a 27-32 day jump or something!(haven't had one in a while , forgive my forgetfulness

I am thinking maybe your body is cleansing itself? Or maybe it is a temporary reaction? I would for sure make sure all the bases were covered. Like, loads of vitamin A form animal source, etc. Other than that I have no idea.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#7 of 21 Old 12-27-2007, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I know that my cycles get whacky when I have a lot of soy products- cycles get longer and my fertile phase is much less clearly defined. It made FAM incredibly frustrating!

Just 7 weeks ago, I went gluten-free (and dairy free and mostly legume free.) I had AF last week and it was the lightest and least painful that it's been in years. I suspect I've been putting fewer toxins into my body so my body didn't need to do as much "cleaning out" this month.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#8 of 21 Old 12-27-2007, 09:56 PM

When I first switched to TF, I went without a period for six months while my body healed and regulated itself. During this time, sometimes I felt crampy, but I never had a period.

Then I was 28 to 29 days every single month. I used to have dreadful, irregular, heavy, terrible periods prior to TF, but they became much more bearable, shorter, and lighter.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#9 of 21 Old 12-28-2007, 01:16 PM

ok

I meant to say that my cycle got shorter.
On more of a TF diet, my cycles got shorter and less painful. Before they were way long, and very very painful.This was with little to no meat, and soy consumption on a regular basis.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#10 of 21 Old 12-31-2007, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

wow - interesting to see how the soy has affected people. Even tho I've been veg, I've never eaten much soy - maybe once per month. It just didn't seem like a "whole food" to me. And for the most part my diet is all whole and organic foods, so the cleansing thing doesn't make sense for me I don't think. Really, I don't know...
#11 of 21 Old 12-31-2007, 06:11 PM

For me, removing grains is what started regulating my cycles. As long as I was eating grains, my cycles would be all over the map. Grains contain phytoestrogens just like soy, and if you're sensitive to them, they can mess with your body just as effectively.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#12 of 21 Old 12-31-2007, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Don't think it's grains - unless that's a new thing for me. I've been eating far less grains with a TF diet. And it's only in the last 6-8 mos that I've been having problems. Prior to that, maybe a bit of cramps on the first day and regular as can be with everything.

It's interesting seeing how different foods affect different people. Maybe someone will happen on one that I can relate to and I'll figure this all out.
#13 of 21 Old 01-02-2008, 09:55 PM

I just had a 33 day cycle - a first in almost two years. For the past 8 months before December I have not had any meat (raw/vegan), but I didnt have one drop of soy either. Nevertheless during that time, my cycles were LONG and my periods were heavy and painful (when I did have a period).
#14 of 21 Old 01-02-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
I just had a 33 day cycle - a first in almost two years. For the past 8 months before December I have not had any meat (raw/vegan), but I didnt have one drop of soy either. Nevertheless during that time, my cycles were LONG and my periods were heavy and painful (when I did have a period).
YAY! That is great, barose!
#15 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 02:49 AM

I just wanted to mention that red raspberry leaf is a life saver as far as cramps go, at least for me. I used to start my day with 4 advil during the first few days of my period so it was quite a change to go to two cups of red raspberry leaf tea...

My change to TF was after DD was born so I don't know if my painfree and light periods now are due to the food or to the fact that I had a kid.
#16 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopazBlueMama View Post
YAY! That is great, barose!
Thanks!!

I also should mention I'm doing dairy-free (except raw butter) grain-free, low-carb TF (for medical reasons) . :
#17 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama View Post
I'm curious to know how eating TF has changed anyone's menstrual cycle - for better or worse.

I have recently begun eating more TF and not being a veg anymore. However, my cycles have had more bleeding, more blood clots and more cramps (a lot more cramps). Talked to a naturopath about all of this and am not getting any answers except to take some chaste herb tincture and ground sesame or sunflower seeds. I did find taking a powdered magnesium drink that he gave me helped the cramps go away if they were mild. But recent blood tests show that both my calcium and magnesium counts are normal.

Shouldn't things be getting better not worse? We want to TTC soon, but this has me concerned that something is wrong.

Anyone else have experiences like this? Is my body just ridding itself of ucky stuff in getting more healthy?
Just a thought looking at your symptom list.....

I would add CLO-perhaps as much as 30-90K units of vit A a day for a couple weeks, then cut back and see.

As long as theres D in there, you won't OD on natural VitA. but it does help w/ the cramps and megableeding.

Speaking from experience here-I took a tablespoon of nordic naturals twice a day for a month (til I ran out) and noticed that my horrendous cramps were none existant and AF was much less an ordeal than before-

my mom had the same experience after I told her what I did-after gagging at the thought of that much CLO though!
#18 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel723 View Post
Speaking from experience here-I took a tablespoon of nordic naturals twice a day for a month (til I ran out) and noticed that my horrendous cramps were none existant and AF was much less an ordeal than before-

!
I started taking a tablespoon a day just a few weeks ago and this period have been almost painless and I normally have very painful periods. I havent tried taking 2 tbs; maybe I can work up to it. I have the peach flavored Nordic Naturals CLO.
#19 of 21 Old 01-04-2008, 01:45 AM

I hardly ever get cramps with my periods since having kids. But I did this last month, and I drank some magnesium (Natural Calm). Within an hour my cramps were gone. It even seemed to work almost immediately, it only took about an hour before they were completely gone. I'd be interested to know if this has worked for anyone else...
#20 of 21 Old 01-04-2008, 11:22 AM

My cycles have stayed about the same length since starting TF, but my luteal phase has gone from 8 days to 14-15 days. The first day of my period is a little heavier now. I take that as a sign that my body is producing a healthier uterine lining every month. Overall I think it has benefited my cycles greatly. I do have painful cramping on the very first day of my period, never past that.

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#21 of 21 Old 01-30-2008, 01:44 PM

Bump and update.

I just had my first 28 days cycle ever (in my entire life). I ovulated on CD 15 and overall have not felt this "normal" before. I have PCOS and normally ovulate very late if at all.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page