Mothering Forum banner

WTF? Diabetic cookbooks rant

500 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  thomlynn 
#1 ·

Ok I have a bit of a cookbook fetish. I have many of all types... nothing too "far out there" for me.

WTF is up with the cookbooks backed by the ADA? OMG they SUCK!!!! Have you SEEN what they suggest diabetics eat????

Here is a recipe in one I got just today.... and you don't even have to eat "TF" to shudder at it!!!

Chocolate Pancakes

2 cups of whole chocolate milk
2 eggs
2 cups of flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. corn-oil margarine
60 mini M&M's
syrup, optional
vanilla or plain yogurt, optional

A diabetic person is supposed to eat this?

The TF part of me shudders almost as much as the lower carb part of me does!

Don't get me started on what they want you to eat in a typical day! Can we say half low fake fat carby nothing with half veggies and not low glycemic fruit?
:

See less See more
#4 ·
I think the American Diabetic Association wants to keep people diabetic, why else would they recommend foods that knowingly cause people to have blood sugar problems?

It's gotta be a conspiracy

#5 ·
omg, yes, this stuff drives me batty. My son is a type 1 diabetic and everything I've picked up w/ the ADA label has been high carb! Why?

My mom went to the grocery store bakery to pick up pies for our holiday meal and she was intrigued by the "Diabetic" section of the bakery. The carb count on the "no sugar added" pies was 7grams *higher* than that of the regular pies.

#9 ·
It went on and talked about how diabetics can eat sugar and that no they do not need to follow a special diet but to just eat whatever any other person eating a healthy diet should eat.

They had a weekly meal plan and each day was 200+ carbs with half good veggies and half fake carby low fat crap.

Unbelievable!
:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.