Cold and flu season: how to speed up recovery and/or boost immune system? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 12-30-2007, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you do to avoid catching bugs during the wintertime, or to speed up recovery when you get sick?

We're struggling with a nasty cold right now, and so far I've been trying to treat it with the following: bone broth soup, kombucha & kefir, raw milk (does raw milk cause congestion like conventional milk does?), HV CLO, cold-pressed flax oil (someone gave me a bottle, so why not) and acerola cherry powder mixed in water (for vitamin C).

What am I missing? Ugh, two sick adults caring for a sick toddler is such a drag
#2 of 23 Old 12-30-2007, 10:51 PM
kpb

definitely find a good herbal tea blend, or make your own--it just calms and that warmth feels right, especially when you've had enough bone broth If you visit Copake Camphill village online, you'll find their phone number to the village gift shop....they make an incredible tea for colds, and it's all biodynamic herbs in the mix.....I've been giving that to my husband and son when they get sick, with amazing and quick results.....Also, I'd add garlic to your cooking...either raw or chopped in your broth, and then hot pepper for you and DH (and dc is they like it )...coconut milk is a great way to keep up your reserves while getting that beneficial lauric acid in your system and not weighing your gut down if you have no appetite....Goldenseal tincture, for fighting the viruses....Hmmm....that's all I can think of off the top of my head.....feel better!

ah!
euph perf and ferr phos 30c are acute fixes to colds, especially the really achy ones.....

ravensara EO diffused in the house is excellent, too....people use that in their AIDS treatment!

healthy vibes your way.......

cheers
Kyara
#3 of 23 Old 12-30-2007, 11:12 PM

proboitics, vit c and garlic plus oscillococcinum if it's a cold. All that came from my midwife when I had to cancel an app when dd got sick. She said it would be fine for me if I ended up getting anything. She also said dd would be better in three days and she was almost perfect the next day and totally over it by the second.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#4 of 23 Old 12-30-2007, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Oh! Forgot to add that I'm pregnant, so I think that means I can't take goldenseal?
#5 of 23 Old 12-31-2007, 12:01 AM
kpb

aahhh!
tricky!
yeah, goldenseal should definitely be avoided by pregnant women--I don't know the chemical constituents themselves, but I have read (ayuverdic) that it can inhibit some other vitamin assimilations....b 6 or 12, I think.....

you could try propolis added to tea for an extra daily boost, and my favorite remedy of all, that is friendly to pg woman and infant alike, is triphala....I tend to go for ancient chinese and indian wisdom when it comes to tonics, and this one, though relatively unpalatable, has an amazing effect on cholesterol, blood pressure, weight, and of course, the immune system....its vit C content is through the roof.....think azomite powder but better we found an organic, non-irridated one pound bag at horizon herbs online.......
#6 of 23 Old 12-31-2007, 04:14 PM

I think on Mercola's site he recommends putting a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in your ear. No one knows why, but it's supposed to work.
#7 of 23 Old 12-31-2007, 09:30 PM

At the first signs of a cold, or if we have been around people who are sick, we take echinacea. If we feel like we are starting to come down with something, we gargle with Bragg's apple cider vinegar. That will kill anything! We also make what I call immune booster soup

saute 5 large cloves garlic in oil (along with a bit of fresh ginger if you have any)
add chicken stock
add a bit of chopped green onion, scallions or leeks
add some chopped carrot
add a handful of barley, couscous or whatever grain would be TF friendly (i do eat some non tf grains)
simmer til done
Take a scoop of broth (we make it as mostly broth) and stick in the blender with 1 raw clove of garlic. Blend and add back to soup. Garnish with copious amounts of parsley (i only use it when i have it). Or else add the parsley to the blender with the garlic.

DD is almost 2 and 1/2. She's only had 1 full blown cold and one minor stomach virus and she got pinkeye onetime. Other than that she's healthy as can be. If she's starting to come down with something we do the echinacea, children's cold care tea (she calls it Pollybear tea) and the immune booster soup which most kids love. That almost always kills whatever it is without her getting more than a sniffle - like blowing her nose a few times per day but otherwise ok.

Good luck getting better quickly!
#8 of 23 Old 01-01-2008, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the recipe! Also, does it need to be raw ACV or does the conventional kind work too? Do you gargle it straight or diluted?
#9 of 23 Old 01-01-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
Thanks for the recipe! Also, does it need to be raw ACV or does the conventional kind work too? Do you gargle it straight or diluted?
I think the Bragg's is the raw kind - contains the "mother". We do it straight. It does burn a bit and make you shiver. Feels like you will be sprouting some new chest hairs really fast Dh doesn't mind it as much as I do. I never do very much of it - just a little bit maybe 2x in a row and once or twice per day.

Hope you like the soup! :
#10 of 23 Old 01-01-2008, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks But what I meant was, does it have to be the raw kind? Or does gargling conventional ACV work just as well?
#11 of 23 Old 01-01-2008, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just finished reading Traditional Foods are Your Best Medicine (Ron Schmidt) and he says to fast for 24 hours at the first sign of sickness (for colds and such) to let your body focus on fending off the bug. He said it can reduce a 10 day cold (average length) to a 2-3 day cold. He said most kids and animals won't eat when they're sick, at the beginning, and that's a natural thing, but adults are programmed to eat even if they aren't hungry and they listen to the "feed a cold, starve a fever" advice. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I'm sure once the winter break is over and all the kids are back in school, I'll have a chance to!
Kathy

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#12 of 23 Old 01-01-2008, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Really? That could explain my 2yo's drop in appetite the last couple days. Does it need to be a total fast, though? Can you drink bone broth or kombucha or something?

Also, do you think the Traditional Foods Are Your Best Medicine book is a good one to keep on hand (like does it contain recipes or anything?) or would you say it's the kind you read once and return to the library?
#13 of 23 Old 01-01-2008, 10:54 PM

I read it once and returned it to the library (no recipes -- but I just ordered 3 books on Amazon this morning that were recommended here, so hopefully I'll get some recipes soon).

I thought it sounded like a total fast, as in no solids. I would say water and herbal teas and leave it at that. It's only 24 hours. He gave an example of someone who was going away for the weekend and had started to get some virus and didn't want to be sick for the weekend, he told her to fast that day, then add broths the next day, and by the weekend (2-3 days later) she was fine. It sounds good to me. I mean, technically, it makes sense.

Kathy

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#14 of 23 Old 01-02-2008, 12:48 AM

but would a total fast be safe for her since she is pregnant?
#15 of 23 Old 01-02-2008, 11:23 AM

Hmmm... I don't know. You are still getting water on a Fast. I had days when I was pregnant that I threw up EVERYTHING I ate. I also had a 48 hour flu when I was pregnant and water was about all I could take during that too, and my doctor wasn't that concerned. But if you don't feel comfortable with that, then try it on the rest of the family and see if they get better. I don't know. It just made sense to me, but nobody has been sick since I read the book last week so I haven't gotten a chance to test it!
Kathy

#16 of 23 Old 01-02-2008, 11:31 AM

We take an Elderberry syrup and echinacea around this time of year on and off to help with respitory immunity. And once a cold hits we use collidial silver nasal spray. Lots of water and good tea! If you are still nursing or have milk you can share with the toddler!

Good luck and feel better!!
#17 of 23 Old 01-03-2008, 12:27 AM

I second what PP said: we do garlic (4 cloves raw minced into V8), lots of Emergen-C, and probiotics. The garlic alone has never failed to prevent a cold from materializing in me. I take it the first day I feel the symptoms that *always* lead to 7 days of misery for me, I stink to high heavens for 8 hours, feel the cold for the first 24 hrs, then it's gone by the second day.

Our family hardly ever gets sick. I think it's due to extended (3yrs) breastfeeding, not hanging around gobs of kids (homeschooling), and eating little sugar and processed foods. I think that as we give up sugar and processed foods entirely, we'll be seeing colds even less. (as for flu, I am the only person in our 6-member household who has ever gotten it since our family began 10 years ago - and that was 8 yrs ago while I was WOH full-time, eating crap full time, and nursing)
#18 of 23 Old 01-03-2008, 02:46 AM

To boost our immune system, for prevention, we do HV CLO only.

At the first sign of colds, we add one or a combination of: extra HV CLO, acerola or amla powder, garlic, echinacea, raw unfiltered honey, and probiotics in the form of water or milk kefir and fermented foods.

With stubborn infections like sinus or ear infections or sore throats that won't go away, I use goldenseal. I agree with pp -- goldenseal shouldn't be taken when pregnant. I would also only use goldenseal when you've tried other ways to boost your immune system. It's very strong and isn't something you should take all the time (unlike garlic, echinacea, and other things I listed above, which I feel no qualms about taking all the time). I would also check the safety and dosage of goldenseal with children.

I've found the best thing to do for the immune system is to get enough/extra sleep.
#19 of 23 Old 01-03-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
Thanks But what I meant was, does it have to be the raw kind? Or does gargling conventional ACV work just as well?
oh, Yeah, i've used other kinds b4 too. I think the raw is just stronger...
#20 of 23 Old 01-04-2008, 12:31 PM

We do a lot of what everyone has already posted. We've never tried the ACV gargle though, I'm going to try that one next time!
For us it's
LOTS of garlic
Bone broth
Elderberry syrup
Echinacea
Sodium Ascorbate (all day until tolerance)
Ginger, Lemon, and Honey tea- grate or slice thinly a lot of ginger, simmer in water for at least 10 minutes (the longer it sits the better). Strain into cup add a squeeze of lemon and a touch of honey.

I drink this almost all day when I'm sick. It's a great tonic!
#21 of 23 Old 01-04-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpb View Post
ravensara EO diffused in the house is excellent, too....people use that in their AIDS treatment!

healthy vibes your way.......

cheers
Kyara

Would you tell more about the Ravensara EO and the diffuser? I know nothing about EOs but would like to learn. I have a "light ring" diffuser which is just a metal ring that sits on a light bulb. I bought it at Crabtree and Evelyn to use with some of their scented oils. Would a light ring be ok to use with EOs or is some other type of diffuser better (i.e. might the light ring get too hot?) And would you just put Ravensara directly into the diffuser or does it get mixed first with another oil? Thanks so much for leading into this; I had been meaning to investigate EOs and it sounds like this is a great place to start.
#22 of 23 Old 01-05-2008, 12:30 AM
kpb

certainly!
ravensara is a highly potent antiviral, and while it can be somewhat stimulating either directly on pulse points or combined with, say, eucalyptus (a great combo for big time congestion), we use ravensara with some frankincense and myrrh for not only boosted anti-everything-nasty but also a more relaxing blend.....we do jojoba with two drops of each on our points, and also mix it with filtered water as a spray for our "sick" rooms There are many, many other antiviral EOs, and truly most of the EO spectrum carry those properties--namely, however, would be tea tree, patchouli, lavender, sandalwood, bergamont, sage and a personal favorite, rosemary....

in terms of the diffuser, I would recommend wyndmere's electric piece....the light ring sounds more practical, honestly, but there's something about the pace of diffusing as well as the need to add water as a base to the oils for a proper room dose....if you don's want to go that route, I can say that a steam inhalation is such a treat for the sickling, child or adult....boil a large bowlful of water and add 5-6 drops of EO...place head over bowl and then a large towel over your head (it also helps to wear a hat through this entire process so that when you take off the towel you aren't bombarded by the immediate coldness) and enjoy the therapeutics as long as you can

hope this helps!
cheers
Kyara
#23 of 23 Old 01-07-2008, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

How about selenium capsules? Anyone have good results with those?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page