January '08 GRAIN-FREE Traditional Food diets thread - Page 20 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#571 of 591 Old 01-30-2008, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
Yes, meat is "abundance time" food and grains are "starvation" food for a lot of us. When I JUST eat carbs, my body goes, uh oh, famine happening, time to slow down the metabolism. I can actually GAIN weight on like 800 calories a day. I know, no one believes me, but it's true. But when I eat good meats and fat, and just get carbs from veggies, some fruits, a dash of whole grains, my body can have 2000+ cals a day and LOSE weight.
that is me as well. that is why I want to scream everytime I see someone posting the mainstream advice that losing advice is all about calories in=calories out. It just doesn't work that way. (of course I was one of those cheerleaders as well )

well, I am doing so so so much better. I am feeling more motivated than I have in a while. I am still tired- but Lily has not been sleeping well at all. Her digestion has been all messed up since I tried cheese a week and a half ago. Plus her big brother keeps giving her food that she shouldn't have. I am really worried that I am exactly back on the same track with her that I was with him- ugh it is frustrating.

Barose- candida- I was writing about this a few pages back- I have yeast issues going on about 8 years now. It was really bad for the first 3 yrs until I went off birth control- It then flared up again my last pregnancy and was very bad the whole time. I had thrush for 3 months after Lily was born. I have felt like it is trying to flare up again- both the thrush and yi. Not exactly sure why- unless it was the dairy as well.

oh and does anybody have an answer to this it seems the raw eggs are giving me headaches. At first real bad- but now not so bad. I have tried smoothies with different combos and have narrowed it down to just the ones with raw eggs. I am also curious if this could be effecting Lily at all? ?Anybody do the raw eggs with a ebf'd baby?

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#572 of 591 Old 01-30-2008, 03:11 PM

crunchy_mama - do you use the whole egg or just the yoke? I have stomach issues when I try to eat the whole egg, but once I seperated it (using the yoke only), I've been much better.

I'm not sure if this would help, but its worth a try...
#573 of 591 Old 01-30-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
that is me as well. that is why I want to scream everytime I see someone posting the mainstream advice that losing advice is all about calories in=calories out. It just doesn't work that way. (of course I was one of those cheerleaders as well )
Oh I've beaten my head against the wall more times than I can count on this one...I think you've even been there for some of it! It's about NUTRIENTS. Of course you can gain if you are eating foods that are removing nutrients from your body. Calories DON'T matter. All the body knows is that it isn't getting nutrition!
#574 of 591 Old 01-30-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:

oh and does anybody have an answer to this it seems the raw eggs are giving me headaches. At first real bad- but now not so bad. I have tried smoothies with different combos and have narrowed it down to just the ones with raw eggs. I am also curious if this could be effecting Lily at all? ?Anybody do the raw eggs with a ebf'd baby?
I have done raw eggs with an EBF'd baby. It's possible that you are reacting to the white (some people react to things when they are raw, but not when they are cooked.)

I agree with Barose. Since egg white is a common allergen you might try separating them and see if that helps. I would suspect the white being an issue before the yolk.
#575 of 591 Old 01-30-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Barose- candida- I was writing about this a few pages back- I have yeast issues going on about 8 years now. It was really bad for the first 3 yrs until I went off birth control- It then flared up again my last pregnancy and was very bad the whole time. I had thrush for 3 months after Lily was born. I have felt like it is trying to flare up again- both the thrush and yi. Not exactly sure why- unless it was the dairy as well.
There are some that believe that when you are truly done with yeast and it is leaving the body you will have a flare as it exits. I think that this might be true. I don't know if that is what you are experiencing, but I thought I'd throw it out there!
#576 of 591 Old 01-30-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Oh I've beaten my head against the wall more times than I can count on this one...I think you've even been there for some of it! It's about NUTRIENTS. Of course you can gain if you are eating foods that are removing nutrients from your body. Calories DON'T matter. All the body knows is that it isn't getting nutrition!
Okay, well, you guys are blowing my mind here. Of course it makes sense when I stop to think about it.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#577 of 591 Old 01-30-2008, 07:57 PM

It is common sense that's not terribly common. You can thrive on under 800 calories a day if they are NUTRIENT dense. I'm not saying it would be a good idea long term....but if you were eating live green juices full of minerals, pastured eggs, bone broths with veggies and some butter you'd be getting ALOT of nutrition in very few calories and your body would allow weight to be released.

Eating high fat (when it's good fat) will have the same effect. Lots of nutrition. Refined flours, whole grains improperly prepared, sugar, even pasteurized dairy will leech minerals from the body. I'm not as sure that it's a carb issue as it is a lack of nutrients issue. OF course I don't think grains are meant for humans anyway, but it's the lack of available nutrition that is the biggest issue.

We normalize weight and body functions when we nourish ourselves.
#578 of 591 Old 01-30-2008, 10:18 PM

Any recommendations for a good brand of colloidal minerals or minerals and a good zinc supplement?
#579 of 591 Old 01-30-2008, 10:35 PM

I like FrequenSea and Sea Silver. There are quite a bit of good mineral supplements out there, actually.

For zinc I like scientific botanicals or biobody. I always go for a liquid zinc. IIRC scientific botanicals is 5 mg per drop and biobody is 2 mg per drop.
#580 of 591 Old 01-30-2008, 10:56 PM

hmmm; egg white issues- I never thought of that. I have eaten eggs almost every breakfast for nearly 5 years. So, it just didn't register that it might make an issue uncooked. I will take them out and see if that stops the headaches.

firefaery- I hope you are right about the yeast- I would be so happy to be through with it.

Minerals- There was a thread (in TF probably on page 2 now) talking about this as well- a couple of people made some recommendations there as well.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#581 of 591 Old 01-31-2008, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
I think ED is Eating Disorder.
Thank you, don't know where my brain was.

This is such good info about zinc and ED. Thank you FF!! I'll have to mention this to my mom. She takes care of my sister, who was anorexic for quite awhile, and she still has disordered eating (but not the weight loss). It drives my mom crazy, living with that. She really wants to try to get my sis to go GF (my mom would, too), but she's got the obstacle of major food issues to overcome. Fortunately my sis isn't totally opposed to the idea (just to the reality of carrying it out ). Wouldn't it be great if zinc could help?

Off to look for the research!

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#582 of 591 Old 01-31-2008, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the waffle recipe, faery! I'll have to find some almond flour (or did you mean almond butter would work too? Could I grind my own almonds?)

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#583 of 591 Old 01-31-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
Thanks for the waffle recipe, faery! I'll have to find some almond flour (or did you mean almond butter would work too? Could I grind my own almonds?)
I actually think almond butter works better.
#584 of 591 Old 01-31-2008, 03:52 PM

lack of B-3 is also common in women with eating disorders.

my dd is feeling better. thanks for your help firefaery.
#585 of 591 Old 01-31-2008, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB View Post
This is such good info about zinc and ED. Thank you FF!! I'll have to mention this to my mom. She takes care of my sister, who was anorexic for quite awhile, and she still has disordered eating (but not the weight loss). It drives my mom crazy, living with that. She really wants to try to get my sis to go GF (my mom would, too), but she's got the obstacle of major food issues to overcome. Fortunately my sis isn't totally opposed to the idea (just to the reality of carrying it out ). Wouldn't it be great if zinc could help?
read "Life Without Bread". i know i read something about eating disorders and carbohydrates, but i am scanning the book right now and not finding it. argh! well, if i find it i will post it. sorry
#586 of 591 Old 01-31-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilamama View Post

lack of B-3 is also common in women with eating disorders.

my dd is feeling better. thanks for your help firefaery.
Awesome! So glad to hear it!

Actually B's across the board are HUGE for people with addictive and compulsive behaviors. High doses of B vitamins are used in many rehab centers along with behavior modification.
#587 of 591 Old 01-31-2008, 06:34 PM

double post!
#588 of 591 Old 01-31-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB View Post
I don't know. I think what's acceptable depends on you and how your body does with different foods. And I guess you're about to learn! Some people have trouble with legumes and some don't. I think it's worth exploring so that you know how your body does. I eat beans, but dh and ds don't. I was concerned that they might be a problem, so I stopped eating them for about a month. I found that not only did I not feel better not eating them, I felt worse (not a lot, but enough that I noticed). I definitely feel better when I'm eating them fairly regularly. I don't know why. But I DO know, which I think is valuable. I think it makes sense for someone trying to resolve health issues to find out how different foods affect their body.

Millet, BTW, is a grain, so if you're going grain-free, you might want to steer clear. As for cocoa and coffee, they are not beans, although that word is used to describe them (no idea why!). Cocoa is from a seed of a tropical fruit, and coffee "beans" are actually the fruit of a bush.

As for soy, there are many reasons to avoid it no matter what the rest of your diet looks like.

It's really up to you whether you avoid sugars and starches. If you think that you have a candida problem, or disbiosis in general, then it would make sense to avoid them at least for awhile. And honestly, the issues you mention could all be caused by this.
thanks! I think the best best might be to go a month without the legumes and others and then try to add them in after one at a time and see how that goes. I don't think that lentils are a problem for me. I'm not sure about beans, I seem to digest them fine, I can't remember if they have the same effect on my energy as carbs from grains do though. I'm one of those people who gets really drowsy after eating carbs, which is probably why I find them so addicting. I read that, as far as brain chemistry goes, overeating carbs is not unlike taking opiates. For some reason though, carbs/sugar from fresh fruit don't have the same effect at all, even if I eat a lot of them, so I don't think I'll try to limit those.
#589 of 591 Old 02-01-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
I actually think almond butter works better.
Do you make your own?
#590 of 591 Old 02-01-2008, 08:26 PM

no, not usually. I either get it through my coop (once again) or splurge and get a live almond butter (twice the price!) I wouldn't cook with that though!!!!!
#591 of 591 Old 02-01-2008, 09:56 PM

FYI - I started a February thread.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page