January '08 GRAIN-FREE Traditional Food diets thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2008, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazer View Post
DH has tried Atkins, but never the right way and he has only had marginal success. He has gout flare-ups which make him quit any diet he's tried. I think he is finally to the point of trying to eat better. I've been telling him to cut out the gallons of Diet Coke he drinks as a start. I make food for him, but since he doesn't like my plain and simple food, I usually make something out of a box because those are his favorite foods. Maybe someday he'll do better.
Did he do the hard part of Atkins, adding back the carbs in an orderly manner starting with veggies all the way to grains? I ask because it seems like most people equate the diet with just the Induction period.

I've also had some issues, especially making the transition to eating low to moderate amounts of carbs. Taking a good B complex and chromium helps, as well as amino acids like l-glutamine (good for instantly eliminating sugar cravings), and tyrosine and phenylalanine (for kicking coffee and Diet Coke, my big weaknesses).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ITA, Chicharronita.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
My oldest two were diagnosed on the autism spectrum. The SCD got them "officially" taken off. It was a huge change even in the first month.
no way. that is great. the child i'm asking about has really hard times with seizures and the anti-seizure meds aren't working. however, his mother is an exec and does not cook...they eat out every meal. her second son is now on the spectrum. i suggested she hire someone to cook their meals for them, can't be more expensive than eating out.

to PPs my DH eats horribly. only if i cook meals will anything he eats be nutritious, otherwise it's pizza, ice cream and soda all day.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:49 PM

I plan on doing this for life - esp. if it makes me FEEL better. That was the thing with Atkins - I was losing weight, but I can't say I was any HEALTHIER honestly - skinnier or not.
I don't know if I've been healthy - well, for a very long time. And I think I was blessed with a strong enough constitution that it didn't bother me - but age and weight and years of bad habits are creating a trifecta of unhealth for me.

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
| @jovialady is Kiya ~ TTC 3 years & counting for a ~ Connsumte BookDragon|
Old 01-02-2008, 08:52 PM

Gosh, this thread is 5 pages long and it's only the 2nd day of the New Year! I'm a sahm and the whole family is on board nutritionally. We've been doing WAP for several years now and over that time gradually and quite naturally, it seems, we have transitioned to something I call 'beyond WAP'.

We've kept lots of the main keys such as fermented veggies, lacto-fermented drinks, pastured meats, wild fish etc but our grain consumption has been reduced significantly and legumes are almost non-existent. The rest of the family will eat a dark, sourdough rye and I may occasionally make something with sprouted spelt a few times a month. I do make popcorn a couple of times a week (with CO oil, tamari and nutritional yeast) and one night a week I'll make a 'green rice' dish with soaked brown basmati and tons of raw greens that have been chopped in the food processor. To this I add lots of good quality raw EVOO, raw parm and garlic. Over the course of a week this moderate amount of grain feels like the right amount for us.

In fact a good portion of our diet is raw. We often begin our day with raw green smoothies. Yesterday's was particularly good: mint, red leaf lettuce, cucumber, tangerines, juiced limes, ginger root, beets, frozen blueberries (not technically raw) and ice. I also make raw 'veggie + wild thyme' crackers regularly and they are great for putting cheese, meats etc on. Lots of homemade sauerkraut and salads make their way into our day as well. Small amounts of nuts infrequently always soaked and dried. I do like a bit of sweet in the afternoon with my rooibos so I'll often have a few squares of really dark chocolate broken up and mixed with large flakes of dried coconut. And sometimes I'll have some of this Either one satisfies the sweet tooth nicely.

It's good to see everyone so enthusiastically contributing to this thread. Glad to see you here, firefaery, I always enjoy your informed perspective and recipes. Blessings to all.

anna
Old 01-02-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicharronita View Post
Did he do the hard part of Atkins, adding back the carbs in an orderly manner starting with veggies all the way to grains? I ask because it seems like most people equate the diet with just the Induction period.
His problem was not in following the diet. He would gorge himself on meat and eat nothing else, then drink low carb beer. He didn't pay attention to the part of the diet where he was to eat green stuff. Then he would binge on carb foods and he didn't want to go back and do it right.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:46 PM

subbing for recipe ideas... I have realized we rely heavily on grain foods, and while I am not sure we specifically have problems with them, I am sure it is displacing other foods we ought to be eating. I especially have a hard time thinking of snacks that are not carb-based.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:44 AM

ok girls, i'm having portion control issues. i'm up about 6lbs up now b/c i'm craving something and so am eating too much. what can i do to keep my weight where i want it and keep my hand-to-mouth issues under control? i need to cut back on amount, not fats, I know but there has to be something else I can do.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow32000 View Post
ok girls, i'm having portion control issues. i'm up about 6lbs up now b/c i'm craving something and so am eating too much. what can i do to keep my weight where i want it and keep my hand-to-mouth issues under control? i need to cut back on amount, not fats, I know but there has to be something else I can do.
What are you eating too much of? What does a typical day's menu look like for you? What are you craving?

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 01-03-2008, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi. I'm Robyn...... I started following this thread a few weeks ago. I have a bunch of health problems. Since having my son almost 2 years ago I have been feeling sick all over. I've had a constant headache, been very achey and tired, dizzy, trouble breathing, etc, etc. Was diagnosed with hypothyroid, chronic fatigue and possibly fibromyalgia and hormone issues (high estrogen, low progesterone). I found out 3 months ago that I am severely allergic to dairy and mildly allergic to eggs and sunflower. I have been dairy free for 3 months and I just removed gluten yesterday. I'm hoping my headache will go away and I can live again. So, I'm not *totally* grain free but I hope I can learn from you all!

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
Old 01-03-2008, 01:25 PM

Hi, Robyn- I have headache issues as well. I know that something I eat is causing them and I am thinking it is gluten as well. Time will tell. We are dairy free here as well. I am hoping perhaps that once I get access again to raw milk that perhaps we might be able to tolerate it- last I tried Luke couldn't, but that was 2 yrs ago.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:27 PM

Hi, Robyn- I have headache issues as well. I know that something I eat is causing them and I am thinking it is gluten as well. Time will tell. We are dairy free here as well. I am hoping perhaps that once I get access again to raw milk that perhaps we might be able to tolerate it- last I tried Luke couldn't, but that was 2 yrs ago.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:31 PM

Old 01-03-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
What are you eating too much of? What does a typical day's menu look like for you? What are you craving?
I am eating WAY too much nut butter and bananas....hello saddlebags! I currently don't have a planned menu, but usually i eat a couple of eggs and some fruit for breakfast and leftovers for lunch and meat and vegetables for dinner. it's all the snacking in between on nuts and raisins and pb and bananas that's getting me I think. I was a big carb eater, lots of chocolate any way I could get it. I'm not really craving those anymore as the peanut butter has taken their place. I am in North Dakota and currently a housewife so I'm bored and in the houe all day long, hence the constant eating. I just asked for advice from this tribe b/c advice from others gets me advice for meals that are heavy on grains to keep my cravings away. Can I cut out bananas and pb? or is that too restrictive on an already restrictive diet you think?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:11 PM

The over indulgence in nuts is actually fairly common when you start cutting out grains and sugars. I would say listen to your body... it's telling you that it needs more protein and more fat. You don't have to get that from peanut butter, though. Make a creamy dip and dip some veggies into it, or put it on a green salad, add some cheese, and some meat to that salad. Keep deviled or hard-cooked eggs on hand to snack on. Snack on some sliced meat and cheese. Commit to not eating pb for 2 days, and really work on finding alternative snacks. Once you've found those alternative snacks, not eating it will become easier. Don't forget that peanuts are a legume and as such can feed cravings just like any other (as can bananas).

At this time of year, the fruits I try to stick to are apples, oranges, mandarins (any citrus, really), kiwis (these are local), pears. I do keep bananas in the house for DH, but I try not to eat them, since they stimulate sugar cravings. The only way I can get away with eating a banana without it causing cravings is stirred into high-fat yogurt with a handful of walnuts... it's enough fat and protein to offset the sugars for me.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

Old 01-03-2008, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Robyn!!!

Quote:
ok girls, i'm having portion control issues. i'm up about 6lbs up now b/c i'm craving something and so am eating too much.
Quote:
I am eating WAY too much nut butter and bananas....hello saddlebags!
I agree with Cristeen-- I always make myself eat eggs with runny yolk, or a raw egg yolk-smoothie, or steak tips first thing for breakfast, and then I can have a banana afterwards if I want it.

It could be that you can't tolerate nuts very well, either. Just try to listen to your body.

I don't think it's about portion control at all. I think it's about the thigns you choose to eat. I pig out on as much as I want to eat-- which sometimes is a lot-- and I am really trimming down in size, haven't put on weight at all. Maybe tell yourself "fats and meats or eggs first, then sweets/nuts after". That's my rule (minus the nuts, I can't digest nuts!) and it's been working for me! Good luck!

So I tested the raw egg white on my three-year-old son yesterday (doesn't that sound awful? ) in his smoothie and it didn't work out well for him. I tested it on him because he is the healthiest one of us right now, and two years ago he used to any egg whites at all-- he's now fine with egg whites when they're cooked-- so I figured we'd see how it went with raw egg whites. Well, he had whimpering in his sleep last night and trouble sleeping. There was no other dietary change to account for it, so it was the raw egg white. So we will continue to do just egg yolks in the smoothies for now.

As for me, I had tried cutting down on my kombucha (incidentally the same week I accidently ate some cow cheese!) and any way that didn't work out well. I had so much less energy and my mood really suffered a LOT. I had bought some bitter herbal formula (like Swedish Bitters but locally made) and they helped with my digestion but not with my energy and mood. So I am back to kombucha drinking, and I'm going to try to have a go at brewing some myself, again. We'll see how that goes!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 01-03-2008, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I do keep bananas in the house for DH, but I try not to eat them, since they stimulate sugar cravings. The only way I can get away with eating a banana without it causing cravings is stirred into high-fat yogurt with a handful of walnuts... it's enough fat and protein to offset the sugars for me.
I just thought I'd share an alternate experience of bananas-- I guess different people might experience them differently-- I love bananas and I eat them all the time, although mostly in my smoothies with all the fat and protein in their, but if I am having a sweet craving I'll eat a half banana or a whole banana and feel completely satisfied.

I don't ever let myself eat any banana or other fruit before I have some protein, though.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 01-03-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Gosh, this thread is 5 pages long and it's only the 2nd day of the New Year! I'm a sahm and the whole family is on board nutritionally. We've been doing WAP for several years now and over that time gradually and quite naturally, it seems, we have transitioned to something I call 'beyond WAP'.

We've kept lots of the main keys such as fermented veggies, lacto-fermented drinks, pastured meats, wild fish etc but our grain consumption has been reduced significantly and legumes are almost non-existent. The rest of the family will eat a dark, sourdough rye and I may occasionally make something with sprouted spelt a few times a month. I do make popcorn a couple of times a week (with CO oil, tamari and nutritional yeast) and one night a week I'll make a 'green rice' dish with soaked brown basmati and tons of raw greens that have been chopped in the food processor. To this I add lots of good quality raw EVOO, raw parm and garlic. Over the course of a week this moderate amount of grain feels like the right amount for us.

In fact a good portion of our diet is raw. We often begin our day with raw green smoothies. Yesterday's was particularly good: mint, red leaf lettuce, cucumber, tangerines, juiced limes, ginger root, beets, frozen blueberries (not technically raw) and ice. I also make raw 'veggie + wild thyme' crackers regularly and they are great for putting cheese, meats etc on. Lots of homemade sauerkraut and salads make their way into our day as well. Small amounts of nuts infrequently always soaked and dried. I do like a bit of sweet in the afternoon with my rooibos so I'll often have a few squares of really dark chocolate broken up and mixed with large flakes of dried coconut. And sometimes I'll have some of this Either one satisfies the sweet tooth nicely.

It's good to see everyone so enthusiastically contributing to this thread. Glad to see you here, firefaery, I always enjoy your informed perspective and recipes. Blessings to all.

anna
I would LOVE your recipe for the veggie and thyme crackers

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
Old 01-03-2008, 07:40 PM

I would love the cracker recipe as well.

I am wanting to eat more liver but my usual way= sauteed with onions doesn't sound good to me anymore. I would love to do pate, but I am accustomed to eating that with crackers- anyone have any other options?

res- I usually only eat 1 in a smoothi and that is it. I don't find it causes too bad craving, but I always try to balance protein/carb/fat.

I am wondering does anyone else have issues getting in enough calories in with grain free eating? I guess I am going to have to bulk up with oils or something.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:14 PM

I have to really bulk up with the oils and fat. My diet is so limited even compared to the rest of you who are grain free. I dont eat dairy or organ meat so that also limits.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
I am wanting to eat more liver but my usual way= sauteed with onions doesn't sound good to me anymore. I would love to do pate, but I am accustomed to eating that with crackers- anyone have any other options?
If you can have nuts, there are nut crackers. There are also cheese crackers, if you can have dairy. There are also these. I've triedd a couple flavors and they're pretty good. Haven't seen them in stores lately, though.

Although last time I made liver, it was really good using belgian endive as dippers.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:00 PM

I make veggie nut or veggie seed crackers as a vehicle for many foods...pates and such. They are SO easy to make and you can make them different each time.

I am with you, Barose. I am WAY more than grain free. IT can be challenging at times. I just made a grain free pecan pie for my mother and it was quite a challenge not to dig in!

I am sugar, grain, dairy (except raw butter) legume, soy and cashew free. It makes things a bit tricky at times! I am just thankful that my ds is fine with eggs....that would be painful.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:03 PM

oh-for those who don't know raw food "cook"books are fabulous resources for a grain free life. I have one with a pizza bread that my dh swears tastes just like pizza hut. Really though, if you want breads, crackers, desserts and the like both SCD/paleo type cook books and raw books will be your friend.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post

I am with you, Barose. I am WAY more than grain free. IT can be challenging at times. I just made a grain free pecan pie for my mother and it was quite a challenge not to dig in!

I am sugar, grain, dairy (except raw butter) legume, soy and cashew free. It makes things a bit tricky at times! I am just thankful that my ds is fine with eggs....that would be painful.
You sound like me except I sitll eat cashews and I HAVE to have my raw butter too, LOL. The funny thing is, it doesnt bother me like other forms of dairy.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:21 PM

If I lost my raw butter I would be VERY sad.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

barose and firefaery, I am in that boat too. I am sweetener*, grain, dairy (except cultured butter), legume, soy, additive and nut free. Also, no tomatoes or potatoes, no starchy vegetables or squashes, and no seeds (so that counts out cucumbers, raspberries, and blackberries among other things.) Oh, and nothing with pectin in it. What am I forgetting?

* I allow myself little bits of fruit juice every once in a while, that's my only "cheat" on sweeteners.

I am hoping to be able to add in more veggies, berries, and sweeteners (in moderation) eventually. We'll see how it goes.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
barose and firefaery, I am in that boat too. I am sweetener*, grain, dairy (except cultured butter), legume, soy, additive and nut free. Also, no tomatoes or potatoes, no starchy vegetables or squashes, and no seeds (so that counts out cucumbers, raspberries, and blackberries among other things.) Oh, and nothing with pectin in it. What am I forgetting?
Sounds like me right now

Dairy (except cultured and raw butter), potato and other starchy veggies, nuts, most seeds, most citrus, grain, soy, tomato, banana, coconut, and raspberry free. I tried adding in almonds and coconut kefir (the same day, yes stupid me) and DD had a bit of a reaction so I'm back to square zero.

If I had to give up butter or eggs, I think my life would be over.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazer View Post

If I had to give up butter or eggs, I think my life would be over.
It seems like me you and firefaery are in the same boat.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:52 PM

Yeah for us. Just kidding! I'm glad there's support. Glad to have found you ladies!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Although last time I made liver, it was really good using belgian endive as dippers.
Yes yes yes! I LOVE endive in place of crackers. Sooooo delish with goat cheese spread on it, pate, hummus, you name it.

User Tag List