January '08 GRAIN-FREE Traditional Food diets thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2008, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Firefaery and LionTigerBear - I'd like to try your smoothie ideas. How do you add the butter and CO? I don't have a blender but would use my food processor. Also, we keep our house cold so the butter on the counter is not really soft and the CO needs to be cut with a large knife to get a chunk off!. I'm thinking that the butter and CO will end up being big globs in the smoothie which doesn't sound that appetizing to me. Also, what is mangosteen juice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin a View Post
Firefaery and LionTigerBear - I'd like to try your smoothie ideas. How do you add the butter and CO? I don't have a blender but would use my food processor. Also, we keep our house cold so the butter on the counter is not really soft and the CO needs to be cut with a large knife to get a chunk off!. I'm thinking that the butter and CO will end up being big globs in the smoothie which doesn't sound that appetizing to me. Also, what is mangosteen juice?
Not FF or LTB, but I made one of their smoothies yesterday and although I've been making regular smoothies for years theirs was DIVINE!

It's cold here, too, so I actually softened the CO and butter up in a double-boiler (so it wouldn't get too hot) and put them and the eggs in the blender first. Once I mixed those up I added the other ingredents (including frozen strawberries). It was so good!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthymama2b View Post
I get raw butter from someone in - MN, I think it is, through a co-order, and they ship to Memphis.... I'm at work, so I can't remember the farms name, but I'll look once I get home - I'm pretty certain they are a lot closer to you than the places in NH/VT....
Were you ever able to figure out who you get your dairy from?
Old 01-05-2008, 02:19 PM

I put the liquid, eggs, butter and oil in first and blend. IT is chunky at that point. Then I add the frozen stuff and blend again...that homogenizes it nicely.

New mama-isn't it lovely? I just finished mine....YUM. I went crazy with the honey and it was perfect.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:42 PM

We're not grainless yet but DH and I will be going on a grain free, dairy free regimen later this year for at least 6 months. To prep, I'm trying out different recipes to try to sub for grains.

I tried a pancake recipe today that uses coconut flour. The batter looked okay, but they came out REALLY dry. The taste and texture was fine otherwise. I'm not sure what I did wrong and wanted to see if anyone had any insight regarding cooking with coconut flour. I kind of did the measurements by memory since I did not remember where I got the recipe from and so I was probably off in something:

4 eggs
1/4 cup coconut flour (sifted)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
splash vanilla

The original recipe called for xantham gum but I didn't have any and didn't know if it was NT so this may have affected the texture. I remember it was something like a cup or 2 cups of eggs, but I just added eggs until it looked like pancake batter. Any suggestions in making them less dry?

The good thing about it is that DH actually ate a whole pancake and liked it but did comment it was very dry. They were good if I let them soak a bit in a thin layer of maple syrup and then spread butter all over the top.

If anyone has any other good recipes involving coconut flour, let me know! I just got a 2 lb bag and from how much liquid it soaks up, I can see it will take me quite some time to finish it.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:27 PM

It sounds like your recipe is missing some liquids and fats. I have a recipe book for CF (Cooking with CF by Bruce Fife) and the pancake recipe is my favorite (I usually double it):

2 eggs
2 tbsp butter or coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp milk or coconut milk
1 tspn sugar
1/8 tspn salt
2 TBSP coconut flour sifted together with 1/8 tspn baking powder

blend wet ingredients, then sift in cf and bp

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratc View Post
We're not grainless yet but DH and I will be going on a grain free, dairy free regimen later this year for at least 6 months. To prep, I'm trying out different recipes to try to sub for grains.

I tried a pancake recipe today that uses coconut flour. The batter looked okay, but they came out REALLY dry. The taste and texture was fine otherwise. I'm not sure what I did wrong and wanted to see if anyone had any insight regarding cooking with coconut flour. I kind of did the measurements by memory since I did not remember where I got the recipe from and so I was probably off in something:

4 eggs
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
splash vanilla

The original recipe called for xantham gum but I didn't have any and didn't know if it was NT so this may have affected the texture. I remember it was something like a cup or 2 cups of eggs, but I just added eggs until it looked like pancake batter. Any suggestions in making them less dry?

The good thing about it is that DH actually ate a whole pancake and liked it but did comment it was very dry. They were good if I let them soak a bit in a thin layer of maple syrup and then spread butter all over the top.

If anyone has any other good recipes involving coconut flour, let me know! I just got a 2 lb bag and from how much liquid it soaks up, I can see it will take me quite some time to finish it.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal_Lady View Post
Were you ever able to figure out who you get your dairy from?
Yup! It's PastureLand Coop in southeastern Minnesota. www.pastureland.coop But, rereading the wrapper, I'm not sure it's raw. It's organic, and it's grassfed (gorgeous color!) but I'm not sure if it's raw.....

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
| @jovialady is Kiya ~ TTC 3 years & counting for a ~ Connsumte BookDragon|
Old 01-05-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
I have a question for everyone. I am wondering what do you say to others who question you and think that not eating grains is crazy?
There are several things you can say, depending on how snarky/sarcastic you want to be, or whether you actually want to be informative.

"What does flour + water make? Paste"
"I don't agree with the government about X, why would I agree with them about my food?"
"Has it ever occurred to you that the fattening of America started when the government started subsidizing and advertising grain production?"
"Historically speaking grains were a food of last resort."
"I feel better when I don't eat grains."
"I don't believe grains are a necessary part of anyone's diet."
"Grains do not contain any nutrients that cannot be found in other foods."

I'm sure somebody else can come up with some more ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratc View Post
4 eggs
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
splash vanilla
Looks like you need some fat in that recipe... a couple Tbs melted coconut oil or butter should resolve the dryness.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 01-05-2008, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, I think eggs are important too. Maybe start with GOOD cooked eggs soft-boiled and then to raw? (sort of a transition-thing?). Also, could you scrounge up some research on the safety of good raw eggs? The samonella is in the factory-farm eggs. Maybe if it's explained to her...? (well, if all else fails, maybe you could sneak it in for a bit - some homemade mayo or just bring her a smoothie without telling her what's in it )
I went ahead and told her about the eggs too, but mentioned that as long as the eggs are organic and fresh, there should be no danger of salmonella posioning. She seemed to just take my word for it. *crossing fingers* I'm flattered, btw, if that's the case . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow32000 View Post
can we do coconut flour on the SCD? Just thought of that...I did coconut crusted chicken tonight and it was really good.
I don't know and I really want to know . . . I know it wouldn't work well for me right now, (and would not be allowed in the initial stages) because I can't handle too much fiber yet, but if it's allowed, then I would like to add it in later . . . Anyone know?

Quote:
re: eggs: Personally, I would advocate eggs, but not raw just yet- perhaps overeasy to start with... I am still working my way up to raw eggs myself- I am out of good eggs right now...
This is what I will advocate if she balks when push comes to shove . . .

Quote:
I have a question for everyone. I am wondering what do you say to others who question you and think that not eating grains is crazy?
So far it hasn't been an issue, because I just tell anyone who raises there eyebrows -- "I can't digest them. They make me sick." And that's the truth and they can't argue with it. Plus the results I have experienced speak for themselves (to those who know me.)

Quote:
I agree with FF about the butter and coconut oil. Mine gets pretty hard on colder days, too. It blends well with the egg yolks at the beginning, into a creamy mixture, and then if you add anything frozen or extra cold, add it last.

Mangosteen juice is a newer-trend health juice. (My husband is dubious as to its actual health benefits; the price tag might be a part of the problem for him. ) But I think I feel better when I take it . . . is it all in my head? . . . I don't know . . . I keep meaning to research it more-- but anyway I first heard about it from my Grandpa who raves about it and claims it can cure anything from heart disease to cancer and beyond.

I also really like the consistency it adds to the smoothie. I use 100% mangosteen juice (some are cut with apple juice or other juices) and it's kind of pulpy and has a mild but pleasant flavor. You could leave it out or add a small amount of a different juice if you wanted to.

Off to go finally research it . . .

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 01-06-2008, 12:40 AM

nope, we can't do coconut flour on SCD, just fresh or grated coconut. ah well, i don't need more baked goods anyway.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mangosteen juice:

From MayoClinic: "Like many fruits and vegetables, mangosteen is a rich source of antioxidants. Antioxidants are natural compounds in foods that may protect against certain diseases, such as heart disease and cancer. Mangosteen also contains some unique chemicals called xanthones, which appear to have potent anti-inflammatory effects in the laboratory."

After some research, it seems the general consensus among those who aren't selling mangosteen juice () is that mangosteen juice seems to be very healthy but one wonders if it's healthy enough to be worth the cost . . . : I like it so I'll probably keep shelling out for it as long as I can afford it . . .

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 01-06-2008, 01:18 AM

I'm really late joining, too. My intro might be disjointed, because I'm soooo sick right now.

We're grain free because ds has celiac and does better with no grains at all. Dh is gluten intolerant, and he too does better with no grains. I'm just following along, because it's easier to cook just one meal and my blood sugars are better when I don't eat many grains (I don't have diabetes, but I've had some funny numbers occasionally -- I'm pretty sure that if I ate the SAD that I would have type 2). We are also dairy free. Ds is sensitive to it, as is dh. I could probably get by fine with occasional dairy, but don't eat it. Ds has type 1 diabetes, and we believe, based on research and what we've seen in him, that it was caused by gluten and possibly dairy. We will give the baby no dairy or gluten (started before conception), so eat none of either. Plus, I think that although nothing shows up on tests for me I am sensitive to gluten. It doesn't affect my gut, but I think it affects my neurological system (I have MS). In all the reading I've done on celiac and gluten, I've read some info about how gluten affects people neurologically. In fact, apparantly they are even now finding that there is a neurological form of celiac. Shocking , it sounds a lot like MS. And I'm doing better now that I'm GF. So I'm sworn off of it even after I'm done bf.

Up til now I've been having some grain about once a month as a snack. I've been having GF crackers or rice pasta. Well, I had the crackers a couple days ago, and my belly was large yesterday. Hmmm, I guess the crackers are history. I don't know what it is in them that's a problem. They have sesame seeds, flax seeds, rice, quinoa and tamari. I might try the rice pasta at some point, but not anytime soon, and no more crackers.

We are also a lot of other things free, due to ds's many food intolerances. We do eat potatoes occasionally, but not as a major part of a meal, and we might eat sweet potatoes very occasionally. Ds has sometimes been OK with them and sometimes not. But it looks like lately it was something else in the meal that was a problem (I made it again, differently, and he was OK). But we don't want to overdo it. He rotates his fruits, and some veggies (like squash) to avoid more sensitivities.

Dh and ds eat no legumes. I eat some carefully prepared beans for breakfast most days (with my eggs). But legumes are not a part of our family meals.

As for the question awhile ago, we don't know if we will continue grain free forever. We will never eat gluten grains again, and we will never eat very many grains again. They may be a special treat at sometime in the distant future, if they are well tolerated. We really haven't decided yet. We'll play it by ear if when the time comes.

We use coconut flour to bake, which make it a lot easier, especially on ds, who wants to be more "normal". SCD recipes help a lot, too. We use coconut milk, too. We don't use the canned, we make it ourselves. Ds can't even tolerate the canned that has no additives, so we think it's the can itself.

I'm with some of the rest of you. If we couldn't eat eggs, I don't know what we'd do!!

As for baking with coconut flour, we also use Bruce Fife's cookbook. It's good, and his recipes work! I think you'll like his pancakes better. Here's a page of his recipes (from his book). Here's another page, and yet another. There are some repeats on these pages, there's at least one different one on each page. It should get you off to a good start to see if you want to do this.

As for coconut flour on the SCD, I didn't know for sure, so I went back to the SCD legal list, and this is what it says: "Fresh or unsweetened, shredded coconut and coconut flour are all legal." So there you go! But it would be best to wait awhile, since it's high in fiber.

I found that on the last thread I had some trouble keeping up, so I don't know if I'll be able to keep with this one. But I'll give it a try. It's so nice to see that there are so many others eating this way. And seeing all the ideas is really helpful.

Oh, and Firefaery, I'd like to ask for your pizza bread recipe, too! I tried a variation of your smoothie (no fruit, no butter) this morning for ds who is also sick and didn't feel much like eating. Nice!! Thank you for sharing. And thanks for you sharing your take on whole raw eggs. I, too, don't like the idea of not eating the whole food. We do that with pretty much everything else, so why not with eggs?

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB View Post
Oh, and Firefaery, I'd like to ask for your pizza bread recipe, too!
:

Old 01-06-2008, 01:36 AM

ChristieB, my grandmother was diagnosed with advanced neuropathy due to her 60+ years of gluten ingestion as a celiac. welcome.

have to share my avocado pudding with you all, it's so good.

1 part avocado
1 part banana
1-2 T coconut oil
1 T water, add more as desired
splash of lemon juice to maintain fruit colors
blend together

you can make these into popsicles too.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
I do a similar smoothie:
4 raw eggs
2 T. coconut oil
2 T. raw butter
2 T raw honey
Pinch of cinnamon
about 2 cups water

The next morning it's LOVELY.
I made a smoothie this morning.I wasn't prepared for how full it would make me. I wasnt hungry again until about 3 or 4. I ate 1/4 of a cucumber (sounded really good at the grocery store) and 3 bites of chicken, and I was good again until 8or 9 this evening. I couldn't even finish my smoothie, I still have a glass in the fridge to finish. I expected to feel nauseous after all those raw eggs, but no. Thanks for the recipe. Of, I also added 1/2 tsp of my Blue Ice, 1/4 tsp royal jelly, and 1/2 T. bee pollen. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:17 PM

to LTB and FF!

I made the breakfast smoothie... it's sooooo good. Both DS and DD loved it too (DD loved it!!!!). I'm so happy that I'll be able to get more CO and raw egg into them this way.

Thanks!!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
to LTB and FF!

I made the breakfast smoothie... it's sooooo good. Both DS and DD loved it too (DD loved it!!!!). I'm so happy that I'll be able to get more CO and raw egg into them this way.

Thanks!!
I'm about to go make one for me and DS right now!

Old 01-06-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm really late joining, too. My intro might be disjointed, because I'm soooo sick right now.
Hope you're feeling better!

Quote:
I've been having GF crackers or rice pasta. Well, I had the crackers a couple days ago, and my belly was large yesterday. Hmmm, I guess the crackers are history. I don't know what it is in them that's a problem. They have sesame seeds, flax seeds, rice, quinoa and tamari. I might try the rice pasta at some point, but not anytime soon, and no more crackers.
Rice is actually pretty hard to digest. Elaine Gottschal (sp?) who wrote Breaking The Vicious Cycle (SCD) said that rice actually contains gluten, or something like it. Anyway, I know rice is really bad for me. It just sticks like a big paste in my stomach. Uggh. Try cutting out the rice maybe . . .

Quote:
As for coconut flour on the SCD, I didn't know for sure, so I went back to the SCD legal list, and this is what it says: "Fresh or unsweetened, shredded coconut and coconut flour are all legal." So there you go! But it would be best to wait awhile, since it's high in fiber.
Awesome! Good to know! When I get a little better with fiber content in foods I will try something made with coconut flour. That will be fun to look forward to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow32000 View Post
have to share my avocado pudding with you all, it's so good.

1 part avocado
1 part banana
1-2 T coconut oil
1 T water, add more as desired
splash of lemon juice to maintain fruit colors
blend together

you can make these into popsicles too.
Ooooh, thanks for sharing! I'll have to try that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal_Lady View Post
I made a smoothie this morning.I wasn't prepared for how full it would make me. I wasnt hungry again until about 3 or 4. I ate 1/4 of a cucumber (sounded really good at the grocery store) and 3 bites of chicken, and I was good again until 8or 9 this evening. I couldn't even finish my smoothie, I still have a glass in the fridge to finish. I expected to feel nauseous after all those raw eggs, but no. Thanks for the recipe. Of, I also added 1/2 tsp of my Blue Ice, 1/4 tsp royal jelly, and 1/2 T. bee pollen. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
That's awesome! Now, how did you hide the CLO in there? I haven't been able to find any way to take my CLO. : I really want to know!!!!

Old 01-06-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post

Rice is actually pretty hard to digest. Elaine Gottschal (sp?) who wrote Breaking The Vicious Cycle (SCD) said that rice actually contains gluten, or something like it. Anyway, I know rice is really bad for me. It just sticks like a big paste in my stomach. Uggh. Try cutting out the rice maybe . . .

As far as I know ALL grains (and even corn) contain gluten. The issue for most is actually the gliadin. The grains that contain gluten AND gliadin are the ones that need to be avoided. I guess that's just too scientific for all of us to understand.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
to LTB and FF!

Thanks!!
I'm so glad you liked it!
Old 01-06-2008, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow! I can't keep up with you guys!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 01-06-2008, 05:29 PM

Does anyone know if there's a connection between low blood pressure and grains (via insulin/hormones/blood sugar levels or whatever)?

I have always had very low blood pressure and was prone to light-headedness. I just realized that when I went to my dermatologist for a mole check a few months ago my blood pressure was normal (I can't remember the numbers, but it was normal-sounding and the nurse said it was normal). My blood pressure is ALWAYS low at doctor's offices.

In the past year I've switched from a vegan to a TF diet, went gluten-free, and have dramatically reduced the amount of grains I ate (even before this latest change).

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:35 PM

Since I lost a chunk of weight right after I stopped eating gluten about two years ago, I had low blood pressure ever since. It was borderline high before. I had low blood pressure when I was a raw/vegan and consumed NO grains. So for me, I dont think my BP has anything to do with grains or no grains.

I haven't checked my BP since before I went TF, so I would be interested to see what it is now...
Old 01-06-2008, 06:14 PM

re: blood pressure- my blood pressure has always been somewhat low- 90s/60s-70s all the way through pregnancy. I was pretty strict about avoiding grains throughout. Haven't checked it out since my pp visit, so don't know what it is lately

re:smoothies. I think you guys just about have me ready to try a raw egg smoothie... it is not that I worry about food poisoning, I just have an issue with drinking eggs. I know I won't be able to tell that it is in there, but the thought....

Oh, and I think I have convinced dh to try to do smoothies as well. I am going to start him out on some coconut oil ones w/ some frozen strawberries or some other fruit that he actually likes. that would be another good healthy choice that isn't grains for him.

re: rice- that is very interesting re; gluten. I am staying away as it is highlyaddictive for me.

bloating I am wondering if anyone has insight- how long until the bloating completely goes away? I have been strictly grain and gluten free and I still have some bloating. It has been 5 days. I am wondering if it is nuts or something else.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 01-06-2008, 06:29 PM

I get bloated now when I eat nuts. I did not get bloating when I was a raw/veg and ONLY ate nuts for protein. Now, it seems the nuts/mono fats and/or type of protein doesn't mix well with TF - at least for me. I also get bloating when I eat too much olive oil.

Last night, I had some nuts in my salad (nut based ranch dressing since I cant eat dairy) and I was bloated and gassy all night. The only thing that helped was kombucha, late night grilled steak, Rose wine, coconut oil and probiotics. :LOL It was pretty bad.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
I get bloated now when I eat nuts. I did not get bloating when I was a raw/veg and ONLY ate nuts for protein. Now, it seems the nuts/mono fats and/or type of protein doesn't mix well with TF - at least for me.
Oh, say it ain't so! Eating cashew-macadamia nut butter by the spoonful (~2-3 Tbsp.) has been helping me get past the evening cravings.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
Oh, say it ain't so! Eating cashew-macadamia nut butter by the spoonful (~2-3 Tbsp.) has been helping me get past the evening cravings.
I know! Since I cant do dairy, nut milk saves me, but I dont do well with it sometimes. I can tolerate it if its consumed early in the day rather than later. I also mix coconut oil with it and that helps too. Maybe you can try that.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:15 PM

Do any of you ladies take probiotics? If so, what kinds?

I've flirted with the idea of taking them as a way to help digestion and have tried giving a non-lactose based infant bifidus to my daughter, but she spits out the water I try to give it to her in.

We still are dairy free and I would like to determine if DD is allergic to dairy or if she doesn't have the right gut flora. I recently oopsed and gave her lactose based homeopathic teething tablets which took away her teething pain but then she had some digestive issues from them. Anyway, I'm wondering if probiotics might help her and might be good for me, too.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 PM

Oh- I just made the yummiest smoothie using a few of your recipes. It was glorious and the consistency would rival a perfect milkshake. This makes enough for two.

4 raw eggs
2 cups water
2 tbs butter
2 tbs coconut oil
1/2 avocado
1 sm banana
4 frozen strawberries

I used my kettle to heat the water and then poured it over the fats and blended that with everything but the strawberries. I added them at the end.

Thank you everyone for the inspiration!!

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:13 PM

Yeah. That'd make enough for me. Dh would be on his own. :

User Tag List