January '08 GRAIN-FREE Traditional Food diets thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 591 Old 01-01-2008, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy 2008, everyone!

Here's the new thread . . .

Why don't we start with quick refresher intros?

P.S. Here's the original thread.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#2 of 591 Old 01-01-2008, 12:21 PM

: I'm here!

Erin - SAH homeschooling mom to 2. (formerly a chef - so I LOVE food!!)

After DD was born we went veg and shortly after that vegan. A few months ago, sick of my declining health and that of the kids, I started doing some research and came across WAPF. Something there just clicked with me and we've been transitioning ever since and I've been cutting grains out for the last couple of weeks (with the exception of holiday family meals which really confirmed for me the importance of me staying off of grains).

My struggles right now are increased sugar/grain cravings bc of the holiday slips : and trying to figure out what meals to make for the family bc DH is still not ready to eat meat so I feel like I'm making a meal for him, a meal for me, and a meal for the kids ::.

I am hoping that grain-free TF will help with my candida issues and hypothyroid (and also that 40# I gained while being veg!) and help with DS's low vit B and minerals (very grouchy, moody, and broke his arm twice in one year!)

Sorry, that was a bit of a long refresher intro....
#3 of 591 Old 01-01-2008, 01:04 PM

Hello,

I'm 29 year old Sharon, mother of 11 month old Eowyn. Four years ago after battling PCOS and having been on Metformin for 2 years, I decided that there had to be a better way. I cut out carbs over a period of three weeks and then went on Atkins induction. Within two weeks, my severe reactive hypoglycemia from insulin resistance was gone. I tried using artificial sweeteners but noticed that I felt awful with them. So i started doing research and read quite a lot on natural diets including Stefansson, Neanderthin, Protein Power, and more biological/anthropology texts. I included that I needed to go completely natural.

It took six months to get periods, but after that they were always 28-29 days and I used to have horrible and irregular periods. After switching to this diet, I felt years younger, put on muscle weight (previously weight was a rollercoaster), and cured all of my PCOS symptoms except for hair issues. I had ups and downs with the diet, especially in periods of high stress I ate sugar. But when I stuck to it religiously, I always felt better. My downfall has and will always be sugar and chocolate.

Fast forward three years and during pregnancy, I added in sprouted grains (and oatmeal and popcorn) and dairy like raw milk yougurt. Then after DD was born, she started to develop colicky like symptoms. I cut out dairy and she did much better. Then she developed severe digestive issues in the fall. It took me a while to realize I needed to cut out the grains for her. She still fully nurses and has about 0% interest in foods. As an aside, I also don't eat starchy veggies like potatoes, and am only now getting to the point of reintrodcuing nuts into my diet to see if DD reacts).

I've been grain free again for over a month and the only problem I have now is I find it hard to get in all of the calories I need in a day (trust me, I eat butter off of a spoon and am still hungry, I eat pounds of meat at a time and am still hungry). I now eat a lot of fruit, something I never did while initially following my Atkins/Neanderthin combo, and would really love to eat mostly meat and fat again. But it seems I need the fruit.

(Sorry for the essay )

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#4 of 591 Old 01-01-2008, 01:18 PM

I lurked through the last thread, so I guess I oughta post an intro here.

I'll be taking baby steps to a grain-free diet, and my main focus for this month will be breakfasts and snacks (our biggest pitfalls). DS has battled a cold for over a month now, and DD and I have had some recent skin issues and I really feel the reason is the increased grains and sugars in our diet since November.

A little background - DH is Filipino, so we will never be 100% grain-free. He HAS to have his rice - and would much prefer white, but he will eat brown with us. That in itself is a major victory! Rice kind of defines his cultural background, and it's one of the few links he has left so he wants to pass it on to the kids. He doesn't interfere with my TF journey, but doesn't really support it, either. He knows I have health issues, but grew up in mainstream medicine (his parents are both in the medical field) so he's dubious about anything other than big pharm...and he doesn't see some of his own health issues as fixable or food-related so doesn't see the need to do anything different. I prepare a lot of "compromise" foods - he has a craving, so rather than him picking up a box of fake food at the store, I'll bake cookies with half the sugar, good fats, and sprouted flour, etc. He is also addicted to ketchup. I've managed to replace the usual HFCS Heinz with the organic Heinz, but he still uses wayyy too much. (Usually a half-cup or more per serving) The kids are just now getting old enough that we can't hide what Dad's eating, so they get some too. I feel like I've been battling for so long now - and while the kids understand that Dad often eats things that are not good for him, the can't help wanting some too. This past year, I've noticed a big increase in sickness in our home, and I largely attribute it to the "treats" I've permitted the kids (and myself) when trying to make a healthier substitute for DH. Looking back now, I can't believe how lax I've become over the past 2 years!

Right now, breakfasts are soaked oatmeal, soaked pancakes, or sprouted/sourdough breads since they are easy to prepare ahead of time. I'm preparing the house to list for sale in addition to homeschooling and teaching piano lessons, and it reeeeeally makes my life easier to be able to pop some toast or leftover pancakes into the toaster oven rather than prepare a protein meal. I know there are easy protein breakfasts out there - I just have to find them, and until this point I haven't been willing to give up the convenience of grains in the morning.

Also, my mom has had numerous health issues (allergies, respiratory, reproductive, nervous system, and more!). I have tried to get her to go on a grain- and sugar-free diet for years, but she has always dropped out before the end of the first week. We're going to try with her now to support her - she really needs somebody to take the cookie out of her hands and make her a nice yummy steak instead! lol She has tested allergic to eggs, corn, soy (which she avoids anyway), chocolate, and other things. My biggest challenge with finding suitable foods for her is the egg allergy.

My goal for this month: start with 4 protein breakfasts/week (working up to daily) and trade nuts or raw cheeses for grain-based snacks. I'm starting to use stevia in place of sugar, too.

Okay, now that I've written a full encyclopedic entry detailing our life, I'll head back to lurkdom. I'm learning a lot here, and I really appreciate all of you taking the time to detail what's working for you.
#5 of 591 Old 01-01-2008, 01:30 PM

Hello all and happy new year! I am Elisabeth, mama to three littles (Quillian-5, Selkie-3.5 and Emrys-18 months) and we have been grain free as a family for several years now. We have had several incarnations (SCD, raw vegan, now more paleo but almost totally raw) but have all benefited greatly from being grain/legume/soy and almost all dairy (butter is an exception) free.

Dd and I have celiac and my other two have multiple allergies. I had suffered massive health issues for over a decade. The only issue I DIDN'T have was difficulty getting pregnant. However I never experienced spontaneous lactogenesis with any of my kids. I am happy to say that we are very much on the road to health now though!

Food is sometimes tough, dh and I are self employed and I am in school VERY full time for Integrative Medicine. Plus we homeschool. It's alot.

This morning we weren't raw and had waffles for breakfast (almond flour, egg, coconut oil and coconut milk) followed by smoothies. I am about to go and make a green juice for all of us. I tend to go for simple, and I'd like to change that a bit. I don't want my kids to be in a food rut!

Anywho-sorry this was so scattered, I have little ones asking to eat! Welcome to all new faces.
#6 of 591 Old 01-01-2008, 01:39 PM

I just finished reading through this thread, very informative! Thank you gals!
#7 of 591 Old 01-01-2008, 02:29 PM

I am Jamie, a SAH, homeschooling mother of 2. 6 yo DS and 2 yo DD. Our diet has been all over the place since we got married 8 1/2 years ago. From SAD, to low fat, to low carb, to vegetarian, a quick stint as vegan (just me and the kids), then TF, and now finally this.

I am trying to heal from Lyme disease and am finding that as I eliminate grains and go more and more raw (thanks to Firefaery and Uccomama's leads ), I feel so much better, as does my husband. Aside from Lyme, I have a whole lifetime of bad foods that I was raised on (think Pop-tarts for breakfast, fast food lunch, and sometimes a cooked meal, but usually cereal for supper) that I need to heal my body from consuming.

It is good to see I am not alone in this journey and am excited to see the progress that everyone makes!

Jamie

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#8 of 591 Old 01-01-2008, 03:12 PM

Heyla, I'm Elizabeth. I'm 24 and no kids yet, but we're going to start TTC sometime this summer.

I found my way to grain-free (paleo) eating through issues I had with a heart condition called mitral valve prolapse. Vegetarianism brought on all the issues, so in reading about how veg diets may not be all they're cracked up to be, I found the website http://www.beyondveg.com that opened my eyes to a whole untapped world of nutrition I had never heard of before. That's where I found paleo, and it really spoke to me. It's also how I became obsessed with food. :

I didn't switch right away. I went low-carb first, which cleared up almost all my health problems rather amazingly. Taking out grains/beans/dairy/artificial sweeteners is just the last step that I have been working on. I've never actually been 100% paleo for more than a week at a time because I usually have a "cheat" meal once a week when me and DH go out to dinner. My new year's promise to myself this year, though, is to go the whole month of January without any of that crap and see if my cheat meals are making a difference.

Can I just say I love this thread? I was happy whenever I saw the old one being updated, it was like my new favorite place to hang out!

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#9 of 591 Old 01-01-2008, 03:22 PM

Hi, I'm Alison, 28, I have 2 children, DS is 4 & DD is 10 mo. My DD is exclusively breastfeeding. I was told by my holistic health practitioner that I should follow a candida diet, which is basically no grains, no sugar, no starchy vegetables, no dairy, no fruit (except grapefruit, lemon & lime). I can basically eat any meat, fish, eggs, non-starchy veg., nuts, seeds, good fats, (olive oil etc.), beans & legumes. This is intended to be a short-term diet to de-tox & then I am planning on adding in sprouted grains & some fruit & dairy. I am having a little bit of a hard time doing this candida diet, because although I am not actually a vegetarian, I don't eat a lot of meat or eggs at all & usually eat alot of grains & starchy vegetbles & fruit! I do love fish, but I'm not sure how often I should give fish to my 4yo. I heard 1-2 x's/week is the limit(??) So I'm here to see if I can get some ideas for balanced meals or recipes that my whole family can eat & just to see how everyone does it.
Thanks!
Alison
#10 of 591 Old 01-01-2008, 03:28 PM

-Jaime79,
Do you know of any websites you can direct me to for info on the Lyme disease/low grain connection? I have a friend who has been recently diagnosed with Lyme & I would like to give her any helpful info if possible. TIA!
Alison
#11 of 591 Old 01-01-2008, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so my intro . . . I'm a 24-year-old SAHM to two little boys, ages 3 and a half, and 14 months. My older son has had extensive health probelms of the sort that doctors didn't recognize, but I always knew somethign was wrong. He started out really colicky, was always extremely sensitive, got rashes and dry skin, and then stopped growing or gaining weight at the same time he developed some weird regressions and strange autistic-like behaviors. He woke often during the night, crying or whimpering. I began to suspect an allergy, and narrowed it down to a sugar sensitivity, and a wheat and dairy intolerance. So I went online and did some research and discovered the GFCF diet. Also, My younger son had recently been born and had a fairly severe dairy intolerance, and I had been having a lot of vague health problems too, so it all kind of made sense. Well, I didn't get all the way better on the GFCF diet, and realized I had the symtpoms of celiac disease and I was reacting to all of the grains I was eating. So from GFCF we went to SCD, which we have had to modify slightly. We are currently grain-free, sweets-free (except for fruit), starch-free, nut-free, legume-free, dairy-free. I cook food for me and my little ones, and dh sometimes eats with us and sometimes does his own thing.

My three-year-old son is doing SO much better, most of his symptoms are completely gone. All that remains are the dry skin and sensitivity.

I am doing much better, too! It is very exciting to regain one's health.

I love seeing all of the other people here on this thread, since out in the real world, I feel like a freak for the way I eat!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#12 of 591 Old 01-01-2008, 03:31 PM

Hi! I'm Sarah, SAHM to Rowan (2 going on 7). I'm grain-free for the time being just because I need to lose weight, and I'm following the old-fashioned "cut out sweets and starches" to do that. My family isn't grain-free, there doesn't seem to be any real reason to do that, but neither DH nor DD is all that fond of grains so it's not a big deal. If I put out a plate of crackers, sausage and cheese for them, the cheese and sausage will disappear in seconds while the crackers languish for hours. I'm the carb addict in the family DH is half Chinese and does love his rice, so I'll usually cook rice or potatoes with dinner, and just not have any.

I went starch/sugar-free at the beginning of December and had some brain withdrawl, I expect it'll happen again but some wise mamas here assured me that the dumbies are temporary. I certainly hope so.

So, anyway, no health issues, just a wee bit pudgy. (Check the pic link in my siggie to see how pudgy) I just want to get back to my 130 lbs, 28% body fat self - so that's 30 lbs to lose and 10% of my body fat. I like to work out, so building lots of muscle will be part of my plan.

ETA: I should add that I'm kind of an anomaly here in that I was raised on WAP principles - he was sort of a hero to my dad, who was a dentist also. So I was raised on home-grown organic veggies & taters, wild or locally raised pastured meats, tons and tons of salmon, and whole-grain, slow-rise homemade bread. My body is generally very healthy and I have never had a cavity or even sensitive teeth. DD's birth was very traumatic though, with ketosis in labour due to a complete lack of appetite late in pregnancy (my stomach was the size of a (squished) grape), a much-needed epi and pit drip, post-partum hemmorhage, poor milk supply, bleeding for 12 weeks pp due to a small bit of retained placenta, post-partum anemia, and of course, PPD. For which I self-medicated with bakery treats, hence the 30 extra lbs.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#13 of 591 Old 01-01-2008, 03:34 PM
EMS

Hi! I'm Ellie. I've been lurking for the past month, too, and thought I'd introduce myself. I've been gluten-free for about a year, grain-free for the past month or two, also dairy-free. I have some health issues (digestive, also difficulty getting a period), and am also concerned about how my kids (4 yrs old and 20 months) eat--pretty healthy overall, but they're not grain-free, and love carbs. It's so nice to read these posts, and not feel like a total weirdo for how I eat, which I often do in real life!

www.thegoldenpapaya.com
Raising Three Boys in Brazil ::
#14 of 591 Old 01-01-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2carterandchloe View Post
-Jaime79,
Do you know of any websites you can direct me to for info on the Lyme disease/low grain connection? I have a friend who has been recently diagnosed with Lyme & I would like to give her any helpful info if possible. TIA!
Alison
I will research today and PM you hopefully by tonight.

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#15 of 591 Old 01-01-2008, 04:53 PM

I'm here! :

Age 29, no living children and have had the challenge of PCOS, hypothyroid, and Endo.

After trying many diets for years to get my weight down and manage my symptoms and conceive, I tried NT about a year ago and failed miserably. I was eating (gluten free) grains totally 100% NT, but my body revolted: I was rapidly gaining weight, I had a huge hard gut and I felt miserable. I went to an extreme and went raw/vegan overnight for 8 months straight. Though I lost weight, felt somewhat better and didnt have the digestive issues I did before, something was missing - animal protein and fat.

On the raw vegan diet, my hair was starting to fall out, my teeth are gray and see through : now (like, overnight), my ovaries stated forming cysts again after being cyst free for months, when I did have a period, its was heavy and horribly painful, I had horrible moods, very depressed and so on.

I broke from eating that way on TG when I had salmon and rice, but I started to feel horrible again, much like I did when I tried NT. Something clicked and realized it wasn't cooked food, meat or fish - it was the grains. No matter how its prepared, I simply shouldn't eat them.

For my health, I went to eating grass fed beef, pasture chicken, raw butter, ghee, CLO, CO, more fermented foods, and some supplements.

I feel 1000% better now, more energy, my hair stopped coming out in clumps and I hope my teeth and fertility start to improve.
#16 of 591 Old 01-01-2008, 05:01 PM

Hello ladies. It's a new year!

A short recap for me... I was diagnosed with PCOS about 10 years ago, and with a sugar allergy about 7 years ago. I really did nothing about it until I met my DH. We went low-carb and both felt a lot better... it helped with depression and energy problems, but never really touched any of my hormone problems. We went straight to an RE when we decided to TTC and 2 cycles of Met + Clomid got me pregnant that time (last December), but I was horribly sick the entire time (from the Met). After we lost him, I knew we would be TTC again soon, and I also knew that if I let myself fall into the habit of self-medicating, I would have a really difficult time digging myself out of that hole. So instead we went grain-free. After making that decision, subsequent research turned up a link between grains and hormone imbalances. We've been grain free for about 7 months now, TTC that entire time. I've gone through several rounds of Clomid and am now back on Metformin + Clomid, and hoping that we get some results.

Our diet does include starchy vegetables in moderation, as well as small amounts of honey or maple. Beans are not something we've ever been terribly fond of, but we do eat peanuts and peas. Mostly we live on meat, fruit and veggies, with eggs and dairy contributing a good bit, and minimal nuts.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#17 of 591 Old 01-01-2008, 10:59 PM

I will post an edited version of my intro in the December thread:

My story is that I've had poor health almost my whole life, but nothing chronic enough to be debilitating -- just personally annoying. I got sick a lot as a kid, had acne into adulthood, always felt weak, had chest pains (that doctors said were stress) and back pain. I also only got my period maybe once as an adolescent and then nothing. I went on the pill at 21 and stayed on it for ten years, until my DH and I decided to have a baby. Nothing happened with my cycles (there were no cycles) so we went the infertility route. My son was conceived through IVF.

My reproductive endocrinologist said it was a "PCOS-variant" and had no interest whatsoever in figuring out WHY I didn't ovulate/menstruate, just in getting me pregnant. Of course, at the time I was in a hurry to have a baby, but now I'm rather angry about it. Especially since after switching to a TF diet (I'd been vegan/vegetarian prior to that) and supplementing with high-vitamin CLO for about six months I finally got a period on my own a year ago, then fifteen weeks later, then eight weeks later, and when I mentioned this to her in a follow-up visit (we tried using a frozen embryo last fall and it failed) as a victory on my body's part, she totally dismissed it. I'd read a study that showed that some women with PCOS who were deficient with vitamin D and supplemented with it started having normal cycles and some actually got pregnant, and I would have shared this with her so she could share it with her patients, but she just scoffed at me.

I started researching gluten intolerance, Weston Price, CLO, etc. because of my son. He was diagnosed with gluten intolerance through EnteroLab last spring, and we have both been off gluten ever since. That led to me reading up on grains in general (Dangerous Grains was a good read) and now I'm convinced that grains are things to be avoided. Funny, a few years ago I thought grains were super important -- I ate a ton of them and would have defended Dr. McDougall and the like to the death.

My family has a history of health problems, too. My dad: bed-wetting as a child, gout, glaucoma, low blood pressure, light-headedness, snoring, hearing problems, rage issues, blood clots, post-nasal drip, stroke and now dementia. My mom: blood clots, allergy to sulpha drugs, phlebitis, hypo-thyroid, arthritis, chronic diarrhea, over-weight issues and some "female" problems that I don't know the details of. I'm problem even forgetting some, and most of these things they've dealt with for as long as I can remember, not just things that struck them in old age.

My mom got tested through EnteroLab recently and found that she is also gluten intolerant. She doesn't think my dad could have that issue though since she's stuck on the GI aspect of it. I wonder if my dad's diet had been radically changed when he was first diagnosed with dementia if things would be different. He is half Irish and half Swedish, and both ethnic groups are at greater risk for celiac disease. He now has no idea who any of us are, so he's pretty far gone.

I'm here because I want to be totally healthy and hopefully get pregnant again. I'm starting acupuncture next week and seeing another doctor to check for yeast/metal issues (for me and my son). I always thought, growing up, that my parent's problems were things that "just happened" and a part of life. I don't want my son thinking that or living that!

Yeah, believe it or not that was the edited version.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#18 of 591 Old 01-01-2008, 11:09 PM

Hi, Ladies!

I posted a few times on the earlier thread, but I'll have to post an intro later.

I hope everything is going well for everyone!
#19 of 591 Old 01-01-2008, 11:47 PM

Kallyn - thanks for posting that link! I took a brief look and it looks like some good reading - I'm going to go back when I have more time for a closer look.

A question for you all - when you are invited over to someone's house for a meal do you tell them you're grain free or do you just eat it and deal with the consequences after? I'm finding it difficult to know what to say. When I was veg and told people it was generally accepted (you know most people think that being veg is a great thing for health and environment) but what do I say now - that I don't eat grains or pasteurized dairy or your gross hormone-infested 'meat'? Don't think that'll go over too well kwim?
#20 of 591 Old 01-02-2008, 12:02 AM

Hi everyone!

Here's my quick intro....

I have been 100% sugar free and virtually grain free for a year now. I went from 202 lbs. to 148 lbs. this past year, and my health has sky-rocketed (perfectly regular periods, no constipation, no PMS/cramps/heavy flow, no joint pain, no acne, no hair loss, tons of energy, great sleep, etc.). The only grains I eat are NT/TF-prepared whole grains, such as a small bowl of soaked steel cut oatmeal or 1 slice of Ezekial (sprouted whole grain) bread, and not even one serving every day, more like every other. Other than that, I eat lots of veggies and legumes, and some fruit every day, plus lots of healthy meats and animal fats. My cholesterol went from 220 (with a so-so ratio) to 143 (with an awesome ratio) and no one could believe it given how much butter I eat, lol.

Anyway, this coming year I'd like to focus on:

* Giving up artificial sweetener : (don't kick me out ) because I use Sweet N Low in my coffee every morning and still drink Diet soda sometimes

* Working on finding a new breakfast routine - I am NOT someone who can make a new breakfast from scratch every morning, I really need to eat the same thing or nearly so every morning and nothing I need to think about either, and it's hard to do this sugar/grain free. I still eat South Beach Diet bars for breakfast sometimes if I don't have time to make breakfast and I want to stop ALL aritificial sweeteners and supplements.

* Focus on drinking lots of water. I love coffee and tea and that can easily be my source of fluid for the day. I want to get more consistent about drinking water. I have found it's really important to my health to do this but I slack off really easily.

* Journal about my eating and continue to watch for "substitution addictions" (e.g., eating lots of yummy roasted-salted nuts where before I would've had chips, chocolate, or pasta). Likewise, watch for "reward eating". In short, I have overeating tendencies and have found blogging/journaling to be really helpful and figuring out what is going on.

* I want to grow some of my own vegetables, and also want to get better about canning/freezing in-season fruit and vegetables. I made lots of (sugarless) jam last year, but would love to put up homemade tomato sauce, freeze corn-on-the-cob, can applesauce, and so on.
#21 of 591 Old 01-02-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin a View Post
A question for you all - when you are invited over to someone's house for a meal do you tell them you're grain free or do you just eat it and deal with the consequences after? I'm finding it difficult to know what to say. When I was veg and told people it was generally accepted (you know most people think that being veg is a great thing for health and environment) but what do I say now - that I don't eat grains or pasteurized dairy or your gross hormone-infested 'meat'? Don't think that'll go over too well kwim?
I pick my battles. I will usually tell them that I don't eat grains or sugar (which leads to a lot of questions), and then I volunteer to bring a dessert I can eat. Since my dairy and meat is not 100% even at home, I'm not going to impose those beliefs on someone else. But the grain and sugar can actually make me sick immediately, and ruin my whole night. When pressed, usually I just ask that they either serve potatoes (which I do eat), or serve whatever grain on the side (which most people don't have a problem with).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#22 of 591 Old 01-02-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Kallyn

This hasn't come up yet given since I've gone grain-free, I hosted all of the dinner parties so far this season. We also went out several times over the holidays w/friends and its pretty easy for me to eat out and modify what I order at the places we go to in these parts...

With that said, I have told several people so far and they have all been 100% interested in what I had to say and how I'm doing, etc. It was more of a struggle when I was a raw vegan. At least I eat cooked food now.

Some regular vegans dont understand (though they totally respect my views).

If I were to go to someone's house, I will mentioned it in advance, but it depends on the type of gathering it is and how formal they want to be. They usually keep everyone into consideration if its a formal dinner at someone's house. If its a casual potluck, I don't mention it and usually find something I can eat including what I bring.

Some foods I compromise (I will have in small amounts or a taste)
Non organic meat
Non organic produce
Non-gluten grains (rice like 1 tablespoon)

Foods I dont compromise (wont eat no matter what, LOL)
Gluten
Dairy
Beans (because I hate them)
Refined sugar
#23 of 591 Old 01-02-2008, 12:26 AM

I never say anything when we're invited out and so far it hasn't been a problem. Scratch that - one time they served stuffed shells and garlic bread and caesar salad and I ate the insides of my shells and salad. Yum. : But when we are going somewhere like my MILs I do remind her I am grain and sugar free because to her that just means I don't eat cake, lol. I'm always gently reminding people that it means like, no Heinz ketchup in the meatloaf, etc. I offer to cook a lot and essentially the "pick your meat / pick your vegetable" way of eating is very helpful when eating out anywhere.
#24 of 591 Old 01-02-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
[A question for you all - when you are invited over to someone's house for a meal do you tell them you're grain free or do you just eat it and deal with the consequences after?
I haven't dealt with this much, but my in-laws eat a standard SAD so it is a challenge when we are there. We typically eat a little so as not to offend, and take enzymes immediately afterward. I try to find out ahead of time what is on the menu so I can load us up on healthy snacks before the meal if necessary. I also RAVE about meals that actually have nutrition in them, and I'm seeing them fix those for us more often during our visits. heeheehee

My family knows what we eat and so I'm often recruited to do the cooking when we're there.

For eating out with friends - I love my friends to pieces and would eat fried spiders if they served it to me. Actually, fried spiders would be healthier than some of the things I've eaten!

To get to the point though, while I experience great digestive discomfort when I don't eat properly, I'm usually able to mask it during the visit. (Sometimes the noise from my gurgling insides make it pretty hard to hide, though! lol - sorry, TMI) Most of my friends think I'm a good cook, and I try to mention healthy recipes I've used that were easy and kid-friendly, then explain WHY they were healthy...and most of my friends are heading down the same path now. I know they aren't all there (some of them aren't close) but I want to encourage those steps, too...you know? I don't want my friends to feel like they can't serve me because I'm so "picky", even though I can end up miserable when I'm eating their food. And we get together for meals so sporadically, I just grin & bear it.

LOL okay, that was wordy. short answer: I deal with the consequences later.
#25 of 591 Old 01-02-2008, 01:08 AM

Question for all: how does your DH/SO eat? Does he/she eat the same meals you do, or is it a divided household when it comes to food?

My SO does not eat TF. His diet consists of mostly veggies, fruit, nuts, tempeh and fish about once a week.

When I ate a raw/vegan diet, he followed me and immediate became 10x healthier while I started to go downhill. When I switched to TF, he TRIED to follow me, but immediately gained a few #s, became tired and lethargic. He is severely lactose intolerant and cannot eat raw butter, or even ghee. He can tell immediately if the food is contaminated, LOL. Chicken makes him feel slow sucks the energy right out of him and so on. When I prepare foods he can eat, the difference is 180.

The problem is, except for a meal he prepares for himself every now and then and when we go out, I prepare our food 90% of the time. It wasn't a big deal when we had silimar diets, but now its a problem because I'm not a housewife (full-time job +). I guess I need tips on how to effectively feed the both of us w/o taking up too much time. We already normally dont eat until around 8:00PM+ on the weekdays because of work and I have to have a life sometime. I can prepare food pretty quickly: its no big deal to throw a steak on the grill and make a quick salad, or a Thai stir fry but when I have to do that + his food + make sure I have enough for lunch the next day, its too much.

Tips?
Advice?
#26 of 591 Old 01-02-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Kallyn - thanks for posting that link!

Quote:
A question for you all - when you are invited over to someone's house for a meal do you tell them you're grain free or do you just eat it and deal with the consequences after?
I mostly just eat it and deal. I don't have celiac or anything like that, and one meal usually doesn't cause me any lasting distress. However, my friends all know about my paleo stuff and they are always interested in it and asking questions, and they usually make stuff that I can eat at least most of. With my family it's not an issue either...when I'm at my parents' house I do a lot of the cooking because everyone loves my food, and at my in-laws' house they are just about the most accommodating people on the face of the planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
* Giving up artificial sweetener : (don't kick me out ) because I use Sweet N Low in my coffee every morning and still drink Diet soda sometimes
I do too. : Except for me it's a bag of splenda in the pantry and diet soda when we eat out.

Quote:
* Working on finding a new breakfast routine - I am NOT someone who can make a new breakfast from scratch every morning, I really need to eat the same thing or nearly so every morning and nothing I need to think about either, and it's hard to do this sugar/grain free.
Do you like eggs? It's really easy to boil a whole lot of eggs at one time and then just keep them in the fridge to grab for breakfast. Even better if you also make some jerky and grab some of that too.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#27 of 591 Old 01-02-2008, 01:30 AM

Quote:
* Working on finding a new breakfast routine - I am NOT someone who can make a new breakfast from scratch every morning, I really need to eat the same thing or nearly so every morning and nothing I need to think about either, and it's hard to do this sugar/grain free. I still eat South Beach Diet bars for breakfast sometimes if I don't have time to make breakfast and I want to stop ALL aritificial sweeteners and supplements.
Do you do eggs? I have a batch of egg custards (w/fruit and honey) in the oven right now for DH's breakfasts the rest of the week. Sometimes I do egg muffins instead (w/meat and veggies).

Sometimes, when I'm sick of eggs, I'll go to the sausage shop and pick up bulk sausage, portion it into 2 oz patties, fry up several pounds worth, and eat 2 patties for breakfast each morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
Question for all: how does your DH/SO eat? Does he/she eat the same meals you do, or is it a divided household when it comes to food?
Afraid I don't really have any BTDT advice for this, since my DH will eat whatever I put in front of him and be happy for it. Since he doesn't cook, that's a good thing.

I would probably try to build a repertoire of meals that you can both eat... along the lines of mix and match meals. Like a steak or piece of chicken for you, and a veggie dish you can both eat. Is he still eating mostly raw, or can he handle cooked veggies/grains? I'd probably prep as much as possible on the weekends to make his dinners easier, and if he's eating grains, I'd cook him a grain once a week that I don't like and just reheat a bit each night for him.

I would also probably start having "cooking lessons nights", which is something I used to do with my DH. He would pick a meal he wanted to make, I'd make sure we had the ingredients and then teach him how to make it. Mostly this consisted of me sitting at my computer and him sticking his head in the door when he had questions (he's better than he gives himself credit for). If he CAN cook, but just chooses not to, then I'd ask him to pick a night each week when he's going to take on the responsibility of feeding the both of you. That'll probably mean you're eating fish that night, but that doesn't sound like a problem for you. But there's no reason you should have to do all the work. Personally I do all the work now because I'm SAH, but when I was commuting to the N Bay for work, DH took on the responsibility of cooking every night (I'd call when I hit the bridge, giving him 20-30 minutes warning).

I also often pack DH's lunch for the next day at the same time I'm serving up dinner (assuming he's eating leftovers). That way I make sure we don't finish everything off for dinner (sometimes there's just enough for 3 meals, sometimes there's way more than necessary). If he's not eating leftovers, then I will usually make a dish of something on the weekend to feed him all week (chicken salad, casserole, whatever).

HTH

#28 of 591 Old 01-02-2008, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't usually eat over at the houses of people I don't know well. When we do eat over anywhere, I tell them what we can't eat (most stuff) and what we CAN eat, and offer to bring food. I ALWAYS bring something for my three-year-old to eat, because he's a very picky eater on top of the diet.

I DO NOT ever "cheat" on my diet (at least not on purpose) because it makes me very sick and I need to be able top be present and functional for my children. Last year we ran out of sick days and days that my dh could take off of work because I was so sick so much. I don't want that to happen this year (and it won't!) Worse come to worse, I just don't eat. Oh, and if there's any question of what I might be able to eat when I'm away from home, I try to eat at least a little bit of something before I go.

#29 of 591 Old 01-02-2008, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
nak

My husband pretty much eats separately from us, but he wasn't willing to start the diet with us, (he doesn't have the same motivation because he's fairly healthy anyway, but he's only in his mid-twenties so I worry about his future if he keeps eating the same way-- but anyway--) so he usually does his own thing. I buy those organic canned soups and free-range canned chilis for him (trying to choose the ones without MSG), and sometimes he'll eat that, but most often he eats at his works' cafeteria or picks up a burger or pizza or something on the way home. He loves my cooking though, so I feel bad that I don't cook for him as much as I used to, I just don't have the energy to cook two different meals. so he knows he can either eat what we're eating (which he sometimes does) or he can do his own thing. Him eating out ALL THE TIME was getting expensive which is why I try to keep the pantry well stocked with the soups and stuff that's quick and easy that is slightly more healthy for him.

I do hope he starts to eat better though. I think it will help when I start cooking for him more, but I just don't have the time or energy right now.

#30 of 591 Old 01-02-2008, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, Periwinkle-- I meant to mention that my full-fat dairy-free smoothie can be made the night before and put in the fridge. when you take it out in the morning, it has a yummy, thick, creamy custardy texture. Mmmmmm . . . .

Full-fat smoothie:

3 egg yolks, raw, no white
about an ounce of mangosteen juice
about 4 tablespoons of coconut oil
a heaping tablespoon of softened butter
2 bananas
cinnamon to taste
a dash of salt

no sweetener needed! ETA: amounts are approximate, tweak to fit your needs and preferences.

If you can tolerate nuts or berries this smoothie is simply divine with either some frozen blueberries or blackberries or cashews ground in . . . But I just eat it plain, like above.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page