TF Pregnancy Club - January/February Thread! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 247 Old 01-08-2008, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph117 View Post
Leilalu - a TF diet should be pretty strengthening on its own, I'd think! One thing for healing after surgery - Annemarie Colbin (in the book Food & Healing - not TF per se, but still some great stuff) HIGHLY recommends drinking miso, since on the expansive/contractive scale, miso is VERY contractive - so it will help hold your incision together & heal everything quickly!

& I second Suzikiaustin on making sure you're getting lots of probiotic food/probiotics to counteract the meds.

& maybe extra iron-containing foods to help replenish the blood? (That's just instinctive - I have nothing to back it up.)
Thanks guys

I will have to get some more miso. There is no shortage of chicken stock in this house, that is for sure. I should have no excuse not to make some miso!

The iron bit is what I was thinkign too. I cook everything in cast iron, jsut about, but wil make sure to keep adding iron-rich foods.

About herbs- I may ask my friend who has a chinese lady come after her births to help out with nutrition/healing about some of the things she does. And MIL knows a lot about herbal medicine as well. I just want to get my bases covered!

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#62 of 247 Old 01-08-2008, 06:03 PM

Wanted to say congrats to the mamas with new babies! How exciting!

Sounds like a beautiful birth pampered_mom!
#63 of 247 Old 01-08-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post
This has to be super quick because babe is hungry. Just wanted to quick post and say that Lillian Rose was born on Friday (1/4) at 11:54am...at home...in the kitchen on a sunny winter's day. 8lbs 12oz, 21" long. I'll be back later...much later with more!
can't wait to hear about it!

#64 of 247 Old 01-08-2008, 07:50 PM

pampered_mom congratulations!!!!

steph-i'm glad i'm not alone in the not-wanting-to-cook phase. also, thanks for adding my EDD!

concerning food issues with my dh: unfortunately my dh is one of those people who hates to read (unless it's something like Uncle John's Bathroom Reader.) i have tried to get him to read stuff, i have tried to read stuff to him..but he gets really annoyed at me when i try to do this. so i have mostly given up, unless he shows some interest at some point. he has gained excess weight and i know it's because of how he eats. he knows this too. he also knows that some of his other problems are caused by how he eats but is not so willing to admit it. he did tell me that since we're having another baby that he needs to lose the weight so he can have the energy to keep up with 2 children. now we'll see if he actually does. (to be honest, it isn't so much the excess weight that bothers me, but because he has excess weight from eating crappy and he never has any energy, gets sick a lot, etc.)

i really like what Ally's mom and Pilgrim have to say on the issue! it's hard because we do have food intolerances here as well, and espescially with me not feeling like cooking, ds has been eating food he should not be eating. : shame on me. the biggest problem is that he sooo loves foods that he cannot eat, and it's a real hassle to keep daddy's food away from him. as he gets older and is better able to understand, i plan on being very honest with him that his problems with eczema, etc only occur when he's eating certain foods. when he gets this connection i think he will want to eat these foods less. in the meantime i personally need to become a much better role model and stop allowing him to eat foods he shouldn't be eating.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#65 of 247 Old 01-08-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukiaustin View Post
My husband is very sweet and goes to the store for me sometimes, but he always comes home with cheese, beer and tortillas. Perhaps I should take over ALL grocery shopping, not really discuss it with him, and just make sure there's no g/c in the house?
that might work. i finally refused to buy or allow dh to buy anymore gluten containing pasta (it had a lot to do with me being forced to make two different pots of pasta every time, and it was so annoying!) and it actually worked. i was so glad when dh finally tried the tinkyada pasta and half-way admitted that it wasn't such a big deal and that it actually tastes good.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#66 of 247 Old 01-11-2008, 12:41 AM

So, my OB just called and was concerned about my thyroid. From the blood I gave last week, she said it was a little high, the count of whatever it was I honestly can't really remember what she dsaid, and am not sure what she meant. Something was suppossed to be around a 2, but was like a 4.

???????:

Please help me mamas! I want to cure this without going on some medication. If I don't let her know some legit way to combat it, she won't take me seriously and will push the thyroid crap.

#67 of 247 Old 01-12-2008, 12:36 PM

well mamas, I'm officially pregnant now, so I can be added to the list of pregnant mamas! I'm due in Sept.
#68 of 247 Old 01-12-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccasanova View Post
well mamas, I'm officially pregnant now, so I can be added to the list of pregnant mamas! I'm due in Sept.
Congratulations! Have a wonderful healthy pregnancy!

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#69 of 247 Old 01-12-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
congrats!

So does anyone have any info on my above post- about the whole thyroid thing and pregnancy? I am looking and all I come up with is iodine. Which is what my midwife had me on last time around, so I figure she must be right.

And I feel a lot better, actually the day after dh went out and got me some. I woke up and could actually think clearly. Last week I had started to feel so fuzzy headed all the time. So maybe this will help.

#70 of 247 Old 01-12-2008, 11:48 PM

Welcome ccasanova!!!

Leilalu--I don't really know much about thyroids. I hope the iodine takes care of it. s

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#71 of 247 Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
So, my OB just called and was concerned about my thyroid. From the blood I gave last week, she said it was a little high, the count of whatever it was I honestly can't really remember what she dsaid, and am not sure what she meant. Something was suppossed to be around a 2, but was like a 4.

???????:

Please help me mamas! I want to cure this without going on some medication. If I don't let her know some legit way to combat it, she won't take me seriously and will push the thyroid crap.
From what I have researched, if your TSH is elevated, your thyroid is pretty off. It may just be related to your PG, but probably not. There is a lot of good information at www.stopthethyroidmadness.com that you might want to research. If you do end up going on meds, I would recommend finding someone who will prescribe you Armor (it's what I take), it is a natural thyroid replacement, and much better than the synthetics.

Also, I have heard of some people that were able to treat their thyroid by switching to a traditional foods diet, but you have obviously already done that One thing to try is upping your intake of coconut oil, I remember reading a couple of different studies that CO can help thyroid function. I would also take a look at how much vitamin A you are getting. On the WAP site there is an article that says that a Vit A deficiency can cut your thyroid function in half.

Maybe that will help

On a different note, I need some good easy food ideas. I normally have horrible hyperemesis, which I am keeping at bay this time, but I REALLY don't want to cook at all. I need some good food ideas that are quick and easy (which I feel is an oxymoron with TF!).

My big problem is that I am craving things like tons of tuna. I already ate a whole can today and want another one! But I am worried about the mercury. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tessa, mama to M (93) B(94) T (05) G (08) and waiting for the arrival of ? on 10/23
#72 of 247 Old 01-14-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTessa View Post
From what I have researched, if your TSH is elevated, your thyroid is pretty off. It may just be related to your PG, but probably not. There is a lot of good information at www.stopthethyroidmadness.com that you might want to research. If you do end up going on meds, I would recommend finding someone who will prescribe you Armor (it's what I take), it is a natural thyroid replacement, and much better than the synthetics.

Also, I have heard of some people that were able to treat their thyroid by switching to a traditional foods diet, but you have obviously already done that One thing to try is upping your intake of coconut oil, I remember reading a couple of different studies that CO can help thyroid function. I would also take a look at how much vitamin A you are getting. On the WAP site there is an article that says that a Vit A deficiency can cut your thyroid function in half.

Maybe that will help

On a different note, I need some good easy food ideas. I normally have horrible hyperemesis, which I am keeping at bay this time, but I REALLY don't want to cook at all. I need some good food ideas that are quick and easy (which I feel is an oxymoron with TF!).

My big problem is that I am craving things like tons of tuna. I already ate a whole can today and want another one! But I am worried about the mercury. Does anyone have any suggestions?
thanks

She did say something about Armor. So maybe if needed, I could do that for awhile. I just hate the idea of meds! And would I know if I needed to come off of it? Would anything in TF clash with it?

I have been sort of forgetful with my CLO. So I am making sure to take it everyday now. I could stand to add more EVCO as well. And I have been taking my iodine.

Anybody have good ideas for getting lots of CO down? My taste buds are limited to these things lately:
popcorn
fried eggs
smoothies

About the tuna- I actually satisfy that craving with either canned salmon or canned turkey. I find both an easy replacement.

#73 of 247 Old 01-15-2008, 02:21 PM

I use lots of coconut oil/milk.

Here is a treat "Raw cookie dough"
http://goneraw.com/recipes/177-Raw-C...p-Cookie-Dough

I also make coconut lentil soup and clam chowder with coconut oil and coconut milk. There is also coconut fudge and hot chocolate (Lots of stuff with coconut and chocolate it seems!!). Then there are curries and you can always add more oil to whatever you are making. You may be able to find more ideas in EFLF or the Coconut Oil Miracle.

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#74 of 247 Old 01-15-2008, 03:10 PM

Leilalu-coconut oil and popcorn are made for each other!!! better than movie popcorn

Newcastlemama: your coconut fudge recipe wouldn't happen to be dairy free would it????
#75 of 247 Old 01-15-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
I use lots of coconut oil/milk.

Here is a treat "Raw cookie dough"
http://goneraw.com/recipes/177-Raw-C...p-Cookie-Dough

I also make coconut lentil soup and clam chowder with coconut oil and coconut milk. There is also coconut fudge and hot chocolate (Lots of stuff with coconut and chocolate it seems!!). Then there are curries and you can always add more oil to whatever you are making. You may be able to find more ideas in EFLF or the Coconut Oil Miracle.

Jen
Recipes?:

Particularly the coconut hot chocolate? Sounds devine! Sounds like it would go perfectly with some of the teechino I have been making at night!

I did have a cajun stew last night that is my fav, and has coconut milk, and I added coconut oil instead of olive for cooking. Lots of it.

Does anyone else love the smell of coconut oil? I know some people like the deodorized kind, but I love the smell of mine.

#76 of 247 Old 01-15-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookescott88 View Post
Leilalu-coconut oil and popcorn are made for each other!!! better than movie popcorn

Newcastlemama: your coconut fudge recipe wouldn't happen to be dairy free would it????
ooooh, maybe it is all coconut you mean? That sounds good too.

#77 of 247 Old 01-16-2008, 08:56 AM

okay found the fudge recipe in EFLF going to make when my mother comes to visit in a few weeks. I will win her over to the coconut side of life!
#78 of 247 Old 01-16-2008, 01:39 PM

I'm having a tough time with cooking. I'm starting to get tired throughout the day now, so I don't have the energy or desire on some days to traditionally prepare foods. The sucky thing is that right now when I feel fatigued is when I would most benefit from a TF diet. It would give me more energy and good feelings I'm sure. What are you ladies eating for breakfast time? I'm not doing very well with sweet type foods. Can someone post their ideas?
#79 of 247 Old 01-16-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph117 View Post
Hi brookescott, I can't remember where the vitamin discussion was either, so I'll tell you what I've ended up doing as far as supplements/food supplements during this PG. Some mamas here take absolutely no supplements; some take superfoods; others take prenatals. I've done a little of both:
-folic acid before PG/for first 3 months, then I quit that (that was my one concession to the "common wisdom")
-high-vitamin CLO (took only 1 tsp initially bc it just felt right for me - now I usually take 1.5 tsp a day, occasionally more)
-I sprinkle kelp/dulse in/on much of what I eat & drink for iodine & minerals
-early on, & starting again about a month ago, I have a greens drink in the morning (initially I added a tsp of apple cider vinegar to it, but that stopped feeling right so I haven't done the ACV since first trimester)
-I drink nettle & RRL/milky oat seed infusions daily, with a splash of hibiscus/rose hip
-I have been trying to use more blackstrap molasses - stirring some into milk, but that's not all that often
-as for actual vitamin/mineral supplements - a couple of times a week, when I feel I haven't gotten my day's complement of calcium, (because unlike some other mamas here, I definitely have a raw dairy threshold , and sometimes I just don't want to eat or drink any more calcium foods, even greens), I take a capsule or two of Dr Ron's MCH supplement.
-Probably once or twice a week I take a capsule (two at most) of Dr Ron's "Doc's Best" 6-a-day (!) multivitamin. Or a few times recently, I took New Chapter's iron supplement (even though it has milled soy in it - bleah). I don't take vitamin supplements regularly - only when I feel like I just need a little extra, if I know I haven't had a particularly watchful couple of days. (Even though logically I know that supplements are not by a long shot as good as food, and much might not even be absorbed, if I know I haven't gotten enough good food to get what I think I need, I'll take one as "backup.")
-I just tried adding Floradix a few days ago - but that's already done. It made me gag plus it constipated me something fierce...yuck.
-And I just ordered freeze-dried liver pills from Dr Ron's - I know a few mamas here take those.
How did you know to take all these things for the different needs of pregnancy? Did you already know about them from before or from books, or from a midwife? It really sounds like you know what you need. I really want to be at that point to but don't know where to start learning from.
#80 of 247 Old 01-16-2008, 02:47 PM

well...this is incredibly un-tf but I start my day with 2 no antibiotic all beef hot dogs and some kombucha. My rule for the first trimester is *almost* anything goes. I have also been eating alot of ham with freshly grated horseradish. Maybe roast a chicken for just snacks? Sorry I only seem to have meat suggestions. Guess what I have been eating!
Also take a peek at kerryann's cooking tf site for crockpot recipes.....maybe someone else can throw it together in the morning and by dinner-viola!
#81 of 247 Old 01-16-2008, 02:52 PM

Coconut Lentil Soup-- http://www.recipezaar.com/111120 (I make it without tomatoes and it is great. I have also used beef stock and I think that was actually beter than the chicken) My husband even likes it and he is not really a soup eater. Very filling for a soup because of the lentils and coconut milk/oil.
The measurements are weird because it is converted from metric to US.
Quote:
7/8 cup red lentils
3/4 inch fresh ginger (2 cm)
1 onion
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoons turmeric
1 2/3 cups chicken stock
1 (14 1/8 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
7/8 cup coconut milk

Rinse and drain lentils.
Finely chop ginger, onion and garlic clove.
Heat oil in a pot and sautee chopped ginger, onion and garlic until softened.
Add turmeric, hot chicken stock, crushed tomatoes and the lentils; bring to boil and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
Puree the soup in a blender until smooth and return to the pot (or use a hand-held blender).
Add coconut milk and heat gently.
EFLF Coconutty Fudge (My family loves this stuff)
2c crispy almonds
1c coconut oil softened
1c raw honey (I think I used less and it was still very sweet. I will use less next time)
1c carob/cocoa powder
(2t chocolate extract if using carob)
1t vanilla
1/2t sea salt
Process all until well blended. Line large loaf pan with parchment paper and spread mixture 1/2 inch thick. Wrap in paper and refidgerate several hours. Cut into small squares and store in airtight container in fridge.

Hot Chocolate--I got it from EFLF (I borrowed it from the library and don't have it here) Maybe some one could post it. I think it is just coconut milk with cocoa powder, vanilla, and sweetner.

Coconut clam chowder--my recipe is from Coconut Oil Miracle, but it is really just clam chowder with co oil and co milk instead of all the dairy. I will post it if anyone really wants me to

Jen

#82 of 247 Old 01-16-2008, 02:57 PM

please post the clam chowder recipe...suddenly must have!!!

also getting nervous about kombucha....should I not be drinking it????
would water kefir be a good replacement?
#83 of 247 Old 01-16-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookescott88 View Post
please post the clam chowder recipe...suddenly must have!!!

also getting nervous about kombucha....should I not be drinking it????
would water kefir be a good replacement?
Clam Chowder (Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife) (This is soooo good and it tastes like it is made with milk. My family loves this one too. Total comfort food!)

1/2 c water
1 botle clam juice
1/2 c minced onion
4 cloves garlic
1 stalk celery
2c diced potatoes
1t salt
1/8 t white pepper
1 can coconut milk
1 can (8 oz) of minced clams (I think I use 2 cans)
1/4t paprika

In a meduim saucepan heat water, clam juice, onion, garlic, celery, potatoes, salt and pepper to boiliong. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add coconut milk and clams with their liquid. Cook for about 5 minutes until heated through. Sprinkle on paprika (I do this when it is in the bowl so it looks pretty.) Serves 4

I drink kombucha (I drank it before I was pregnant). I have also drank water kefir during this pregnancy. I think it is a good replacement--lots of probiotics!

Jen

#84 of 247 Old 01-16-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
How did you know to take all these things for the different needs of pregnancy? Did you already know about them from before or from books, or from a midwife? It really sounds like you know what you need. I really want to be at that point to but don't know where to start learning from.
Many of them are superfoods, listed in the back section of Nourishing Traditions Not saying that is where she got them, but it has a collective list for peopel to start from.

Many of them are just foods that seem to cover the gamut of basic nutritional needs in the best concentration.

I just ordered soem powdered dulse from MountainRoseHerbs.com They say it is to be used for 2 week intervals- a week on, a week off. Does anyone know if this applies to pregnancy/nursing?

#85 of 247 Old 01-16-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Clam Chowder (Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife) (This is soooo good and it tastes like it is made with milk. My family loves this one too. Total comfort food!)

1/2 c water
1 botle clam juice
1/2 c minced onion
4 cloves garlic
1 stalk celery
2c diced potatoes
1t salt
1/8 t white pepper
1 can coconut milk
1/4t paprika

In a meduim saucepan heat water, clam juice, onion, garlic, celery, potatoes, salt and pepper to boiliong. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add coconut milk and clams with their liquid. Cook for about 5 minutes until heated through. Sprinkle on paprika (I do this when it is in the bowl so it looks pretty.) Serves 4

I drink kombucha (I drank it before I was pregnant). I have also drank water kefir during this pregnancy. I think it is a good replacement--lots of probiotics!

Jen
to this soup I would add my favorite Hobees clam chowder recipe seasonings! Thyme, oregano, basil and white pepper!

#86 of 247 Old 01-16-2008, 03:52 PM

Thank you!
Thinking maybe I should lay off the kombucha. I have about 1 cup a day and I drank it intermittently before preggo. Will stick with the water kefir.

Quote:

1/2 c water
1 botle clam juice
1/2 c minced onion
4 cloves garlic
1 stalk celery
2c diced potatoes
1t salt
1/8 t white pepper
1 can coconut milk
1/4t paprika

Jen
#87 of 247 Old 01-16-2008, 06:45 PM

Hey y'all!

I'm not totally caught up on the thread. I finally had my baby - she's a girl!! Born Jan 10, 9 lbs, 4 oz. Born at home - wonderful experience! She's nursing like a champ, and we're nesting in the bed. Hopefully I'll get around to posting her birth story soon. She's mostly in-arms, so I can read on the PC but not type so much.

Anyway, I made my own hot chocolate recipe, and I think it's totally divine!!

1 can Native Forest brand coconut milk (has better texture than Thai brand)
1 can water
1 tsp. gelatin
5 T Rapadura (adjust to taste)
6 dashes Celtic sea salt
1 1/2 T cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla (add in at end after heat is off)

Mix all but vanilla together while cold and whisk. Set on med-high heat and whisk fairly constantly (it's all clumpy for a while). When it starts to steam, it's done. Turn off heat and stir in vanilla.

I think it's better than hot chocolate made with milk!! If you try it, please let me know what you think!
#88 of 247 Old 01-16-2008, 08:10 PM

Pilgrim - congratulations on your big healthy baby girl and on your home birth! Your cocoa recipe sounds intriguing - I think I'm going to try it!

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#89 of 247 Old 01-16-2008, 10:54 PM

Congrats!

That cocoa sounds so good!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Hey y'all!

I'm not totally caught up on the thread. I finally had my baby - she's a girl!! Born Jan 10, 9 lbs, 4 oz. Born at home - wonderful experience! She's nursing like a champ, and we're nesting in the bed. Hopefully I'll get around to posting her birth story soon. She's mostly in-arms, so I can read on the PC but not type so much.

Anyway, I made my own hot chocolate recipe, and I think it's totally divine!!

1 can Native Forest brand coconut milk (has better texture than Thai brand)
1 can water
1 tsp. gelatin
5 T Rapadura (adjust to taste)
6 dashes Celtic sea salt
1 1/2 T cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla (add in at end after heat is off)

Mix all but vanilla together while cold and whisk. Set on med-high heat and whisk fairly constantly (it's all clumpy for a while). When it starts to steam, it's done. Turn off heat and stir in vanilla.

I think it's better than hot chocolate made with milk!! If you try it, please let me know what you think!

#90 of 247 Old 01-17-2008, 12:47 AM

Yum, the coconut hot chocolate sounds SO good! I will have to have DH make it for me tomorrow, I can't stand to be in the kitchen right now! Thank the Lord I have two teenagers to do the cooking!

Tessa, mama to M (93) B(94) T (05) G (08) and waiting for the arrival of ? on 10/23

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page