TF Pregnancy Club - January/February Thread! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2008, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks so much to pampered_mom for putting this together! She's due any minute now, so I'm cutting-and-pasting to start the January thread (and here's a link to the December thread)

New? Welcome! - we'd love to hear more, introduce yourself.

Other items of interest
Egg Nog Recipe

I thought it might also be nice to have an at a glance list of EDDs. I've read through the previous threads to compile the list. Please let me know if there are any corrections or if I missed someone! (I linked the names back to the intro made in the first thread as an fyi)

Pregnant TFers

January
HollyWhittemore - 1/13/08

February
nicolena - 2/18/08
jessicaSAR - 2/26/08
steph117 - 2/29/07

March
Leilalu - 3/10/08
Pinky Tuscadero - 3/20/08
suzukiaustin - end of March, early April

April
celestialdreamer
EENS
elleystar - 4/21/08
lolaroo - 4/28/08
thomlynn - 4/28/08

May
CholoMama - mid May
Ally'smom - late May
Taedareth - 5/15/08
smeisnotapirate - 5/29/08

June
mamaspirit - 6/29/08

July
nubianamy - 7/3/08
mom2lex&cay - 7/17/08
tabitha
- 7/25/08
FiberLover - 7/31/08
Phew2305

August
treehugginhippie - Late August/Early September
desertpenguin - 8/22/08
CountrylivinmomtoB
saving_grace
zoebird - late August

September
MamaTessa - beginning of the month
brookescott88 - middle of the month
ccasanova
paquerette

October
DreamsinDigital
Skrimpy

November
bellacatalina - 11/4/08

Due Date Unknown
HerthElde
homewithtwinsmama - Spring 2008
desertpenguin

TTCers
Lindsay13
moneca
Attached Mama
tubilidentata2

: Bouncing Babies :
MCsMom - 9/07
KLK7 - 12/5/07
Sihaya - 12/22/07
wagamama - 12/25/07
pampered_mom - 1/4/08
roseoffred - 1/5/08
Pilgrim - 1/10/08
newcastlemama - 2/15/08

caedmyn
Junegoddess

Beloved Lurkers
Thystle
cherryblossom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Cutting-and-pasting so suzukiaustin's question doesn't get lost on the December thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukiaustin View Post
Just curious. I sleep like a rock through the night, so I don't eat a midnight snack. When I wake up in the morning, I feel like I'm going to faint when I stand and I'm dizzy and lethargic. Is this because I don't eat in the middle of the night or is it because I have some sort of deficiency? I mean, I feel really bad (yet good that I slept - ironic) when I wake up.

For the rest of this week, I'm going to have DH bring me a glass of almond milk and a piece of fruit before he leaves for work. I'm going to eat this and take my liver pills and then prepare breakfast. Maybe this will help me out in the mornings. What do you think?

How do you feel in the morning?

I think it's your due date, pampered mom! Best wishes for a safe and happy delivery. I hope it happens soon!
Old 01-02-2008, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome & CONGRATS, brookescott! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookescott88 View Post
okay....looks like I am in!
Just took a test the other morning so an early to mid September due date.
Couldn't wait for the January thread so here's my intro....

How long have you been interested in Traditional Foods and how did you first learn about it?
I read NT about three years ago and thought 'this is crazy talk'. Had a wonderful second pregnancy where I tried to get the most protein possible not focussing on fats. Last year after gut issues with my first son revisited NT and now we *try*. We are currently gfcf and soy free and I feel great. I make water kefir (usually ginger and apple) and have just made my first batch of saurkraut I am trying tomorrow). We are eating low grain, as much grass fed meat, free-range eggs and lots of bone broth as I can do right now. I need to revamp my shopping. Taking clo and hoping to start with liver pills soon. I would prefer not to do a prenatal vit this time round.

Which number child will this be for you, and what are the ages of your other children (if any)? This will be our third!!!! We have two sons, 4.5 and 2.

What kind of birth are you having? Homebirth

What are your other interests/hobbies? Reading and getting homeschooling rhythm down at this point.....
One crazy fun fact about yourself! currently hooked on Ngaoi Marsh mysteries....

Looking forward to learning from you ladies!
I am a little nervous about this pregnancy because there is a plan in the works for us to relocated from the states to Toronto Canada in July with the baby coming in September. I know we can work it all out but the timing is crazy! We wanted one more and for it to be a surprise so mission accomplished-we are suprised!!!
Okay also thinking I should get the Garden of Eating.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukiaustin View Post
Just curious. I sleep like a rock through the night, so I don't eat a midnight snack. When I wake up in the morning, I feel like I'm going to faint when I stand and I'm dizzy and lethargic. Is this because I don't eat in the middle of the night or is it because I have some sort of deficiency? I mean, I feel really bad (yet good that I slept - ironic) when I wake up.

For the rest of this week, I'm going to have DH bring me a glass of almond milk and a piece of fruit before he leaves for work. I'm going to eat this and take my liver pills and then prepare breakfast. Maybe this will help me out in the mornings. What do you think?

How do you feel in the morning?
Hi suzukiaustin - to answer your question, I feel tired in the morning, but probably because I've been waking up RAVENOUS between 4-5 daily, and I have to get up & eat something & then go back to bed til the alarm rings. It doesn't seem to matter if I drink 12 oz of raw milk & egg yolk before bed - I figured high-fat/high-protein would stave off the wake-up call, but no! I'm curious to hear about others' experiences too.

Having your DH bring you that snack sounds like a very good idea, though! And maybe just keep something like crispy nuts on the bedside table...?
Old 01-02-2008, 04:01 PM

suzukiaustin - I think that sounds like a good plan. Maybe baby is going through a growth spurt right now (hence the good sleep and need for extra calories?). There are still times now where I might wake up really hungry around 4am ish, eat something, and then I can go back to bed for a few hours.

brookescott88!

Struggling with some swelling here in my fingers/legs. The stuff in my hands is transient and most definitely related to sleep! I feel a bit like a rotissery chicken with all that turning I have to do at night.

And yes...I'm over due, due, or almost due depending on how you look at it. I think I was given three or four due dates early on. I've passed by two of them (12/31 and 1/1). 1/1 was actually based upon my suspected ovulation date. The latest one (1/3) was based upon an early u/s (I believe) when I was still seeing the RE.

I'm trying to enjoy each and every moment (I never got to do this with ds), but I'm anxious to meet baby! Will it be a boy or a girl? Who will he/she look like and whose temperment with he/she have? My mom (who says she was always sure of her dates) was usually 6-8 days "overdue" so I'm actually thinking 1/11 will be "the day". I'd REALLY like it to be before then, though.

There are a few others that are "due" at this point -
Last I read wagamama was still hanging in there, but she hasn't posted in a few days so I've got lots of ELV to send out her way!!
roseofred - was due yesterday so ditto on the ELV for her!!
Oh, and Pilgrim is due tomorrow!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post
There are a few others that are "due" at this point -
Last I read wagamama was still hanging in there, but she hasn't posted in a few days so I've got lots of ELV to send out her way!!
roseofred - was due yesterday so ditto on the ELV for her!!
Oh, and Pilgrim is due tomorrow!
Happy labor vibes to all! I hope you'll update us once you deliver and things have calmed down enough that you're considering back online...and post pictures of course
Old 01-02-2008, 07:06 PM

Looking forward to seeing those pictures...
Old 01-02-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
Looking forward to seeing those pictures...
me too

Good luck everyone!

Pampered_mom, I get some swelling first thing upon wakign up, in my fingers. I don't know what it is. I guess it could be if I don't drink enough at night

Does anyone else's babe have hiccups? I think i need to up my calcium/mag intake severly. This baby didn't have any hiccups until recently, and only recently do I get a mild charlie horse sometme in the night. Would this be because of an increased cal/mag need or something else?Anyone know?

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
Does anyone else's babe have hiccups? I think i need to up my calcium/mag intake severly. This baby didn't have any hiccups until recently, and only recently do I get a mild charlie horse sometme in the night. Would this be because of an increased cal/mag need or something else?Anyone know?
My little one just started getting hiccups. And OMIGOSH! Aren't they the CUTEST? We had an appt with our MW today & she said that's a good sign. (That it's not bad if they don't get hiccups - but if they do, it's good... )

The charlie horse thing - that's been happening to me too, as I gather it happens to a lot of pregnant women! You could definitely try upping your magnesium/potassium, but my PT told me that it's also just due to increased load-bearing, since your calves under non-pregnant circumstances are already one of the hardest-working parts of the body, and their increased workload during pregnancy due to weight gain & balancing needs can make them extra-prone to charlie horse-ing. WHooooo, right? Just make sure, when you stretch your legs, that you flex your feet at a 90 degree angle, or else look out! It was really only bad for a few weeks (I kept nearly getting them - then finally woke up to a nasty charlie horse night; thank GOODNESS my hubby is a massage therapist!) - and has tapered off since then.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:59 PM

It is freezing here!!! : I know I shouldn't whine but this Florida girl is not used to the lows in the 20s. But, it does make soup taste better!!! I made a potato soup with garlic broth early this week and some chili like soup tonight. Yesterday, as our last day of "holiday" eating we didn't do too great but it's all over now and I'm looking forward to getting back on track. Hope everyone else made it through the holiday season.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
Old 01-02-2008, 09:20 PM

ok, well at least they aren't anythign to worry about. I guess I will drink some more milk and eat bananas
They are pretty cute. I love it because I can track his movements. Yesterday he literally hicupped in a circle to a head down position I can totally tell which end is up now.

My dh just likes to massage me no liscense, but I don't mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph117 View Post
My little one just started getting hiccups. And OMIGOSH! Aren't they the CUTEST? We had an appt with our MW today & she said that's a good sign. (That it's not bad if they don't get hiccups - but if they do, it's good... )

The charlie horse thing - that's been happening to me too, as I gather it happens to a lot of pregnant women! You could definitely try upping your magnesium/potassium, but my PT told me that it's also just due to increased load-bearing, since your calves under non-pregnant circumstances are already one of the hardest-working parts of the body, and their increased workload during pregnancy due to weight gain & balancing needs can make them extra-prone to charlie horse-ing. WHooooo, right? Just make sure, when you stretch your legs, that you flex your feet at a 90 degree angle, or else look out! It was really only bad for a few weeks (I kept nearly getting them - then finally woke up to a nasty charlie horse night; thank GOODNESS my hubby is a massage therapist!) - and has tapered off since then.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlynn View Post
It is freezing here!!! : I know I shouldn't whine but this Florida girl is not used to the lows in the 20s. But, it does make soup taste better!!! I made a potato soup with garlic broth early this week and some chili like soup tonight. Yesterday, as our last day of "holiday" eating we didn't do too great but it's all over now and I'm looking forward to getting back on track. Hope everyone else made it through the holiday season.

My mom is in Florida, and I am from there I remember getting excited about wearing sweaters But you are right, it should not be that cold there

Old 01-03-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
me too

This baby didn't have any hiccups until recently, and only recently do I get a mild charlie horse sometme in the night. Would this be because of an increased cal/mag need or something else?Anyone know?

One thing that helped during my other pregnancies when I had charlie horses was to 1. make sure I had enough water! and 2. to do wall pushups. I would stand about 2.5 feet from the wall and do flat-footed pushups on the wall the stretch my calves before bed. Maybe 10 holding for the count of 10.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:33 AM

subbing!

What are some good high protein snack ideas? Things easy to make and eat. (or easy to prep in batches and stored til snacktime). I'm doing well with meals but I want to work on getting the snacks more nutrient dense!

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Banned

i'm late august.

and, i've mostly been eating apples, tea, and breads (sprouted, of course)! i've tried to have some different foods (eggs, cheese, etc), and i do pretty well, b ut overall, quantities of everything are small.

ah well.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Banned

i'm late august.

and, i've mostly been eating apples, tea, and breads (sprouted, of course)! i've tried to have some different foods (eggs, cheese, etc), and i do pretty well, b ut overall, quantities of everything are small.

ah well.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph117 View Post
Hi suzukiaustin - to answer your question, I feel tired in the morning, but probably because I've been waking up RAVENOUS between 4-5 daily, and I have to get up & eat something & then go back to bed til the alarm rings. It doesn't seem to matter if I drink 12 oz of raw milk & egg yolk before bed - I figured high-fat/high-protein would stave off the wake-up call, but no! I'm curious to hear about others' experiences too.

Having your DH bring you that snack sounds like a very good idea, though! And maybe just keep something like crispy nuts on the bedside table...?
How in the world do you third trimester mamas eat during the night?? I have to have dinner by 5pm, and nothing else before bed, or else sleep in a chair due to heartburn and reflux. I am famished by morning, but if I eat at all before bed I can't sleep, so it's a tradeoff.

And I am craving milk like crazy. I think we went through three gallons of milk last week. I am a bit concerned about consuming so much milk, as I have a tendency to become anemic, but I just can't stop.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i'm late august.
Got it! Changed the main post. & Congrats again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaSAR View Post
How in the world do you third trimester mamas eat during the night?? I have to have dinner by 5pm, and nothing else before bed, or else sleep in a chair due to heartburn and reflux. I am famished by morning, but if I eat at all before bed I can't sleep, so it's a tradeoff.

And I am craving milk like crazy. I think we went through three gallons of milk last week. I am a bit concerned about consuming so much milk, as I have a tendency to become anemic, but I just can't stop.
I've had very little heartburn/reflux - what I do get is minor, more irritating than incapacitating. Maybe it's bc the babe is lying very low? (MW told me that yesterday...) Even so, even when I have that, if the stomach talks, I must respond. I am powerless against it!

Question for you about the milk thing? I'd never heard of a link between too much milk & anemia? Our MW told me I was anemic at my week 28 blood test - I wonder if it has anything to do with that. I have a LOOOT of dairy/calcium.

brookescott - oh, stretching is SMART. That's one of those "D'oh! Why am I not doing that???" things. NOTE TO SELF! Thanks for the reminder...

leilalu - the massage license isn't important, so long as DH likes to rub you!

skrimpy - my fave nutrient-dense snack is crispy nuts & raw cheese!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaSAR View Post

I dunno if too much milk is bad, but I seem to crave more and more of it lately myself. I tend to trust my body here on this one. Expensive habit though, to say the least!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:06 PM

I think the calcium in milk can inhibit iron absorption. I just remember being told to take my iron supplements (I take floradix) with vitamin C, and apart from tea and dairy. Sometimes I feel like I am juggling supplements. I am drinking RRL tea most of the day, so I try to take some SA in the morning and night, and take the floradix with it. I also like to do some magnesium at night because it helps me sleep. But, the milk thing has become an all day thing for me...
Old 01-03-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I dunno if too much milk is bad, but I seem to crave more and more of it lately myself. I tend to trust my body here on this one. Expensive habit though, to say the least!
We are very fortunate to have a good source of organic raw dairy just five minutes away. I think we pay about $6/gallon (dh usually picks it up), but at least we don't have to drive far to get it.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Birth announcement!

Our baby girl, Sachi, was born at 10pm on Christmas day! She is so sweet and delicate, and so far is sleeping well, totally unlike her older brother. I am in love!

Incredibly, I had a fast and easy birth with only 20 minutes of real pain! I was at home having light cramps all afternoon, then suddenly searing pain hit, so we called a taxi and went to the birth center -- a 3-minute ride. I made it into the front entrance, and that was it. The baby practically fell out right into my pants (poor thing)!

Don't know if it was the semi-TF diet, or all the walking I did (about 2 hours/day of brisk walking), or just the fact that it was my second birth.

I stayed for 4 days at the birth center. The best thing about it was the food -- wonderful Japanese food 3X a day, always with mochi rice and adzuki beans, since in Japan they believe that these foods produce good milk (although the mochi rice is white rice ) WIth the rice came 5 small vegetable dishes and one small serving of protein -- fish, egg or meat. Every meal had at least 12 different veggies (I counted), and sometimes small bits of tofu.

OH, DS woke up. Later!

Globetrotting mama to DS (9) and DD (6)
Old 01-04-2008, 10:20 AM

I don't know if this is off-topic but I wondered what prenatal books you ladies are reading. I borrowed all of mine the past two times and would like to purchase this time. Wondering if there are any tf preggo books?
Old 01-04-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagamama View Post
Birth announcement!

Our baby girl, Sachi, was born at 10pm on Christmas day! She is so sweet and delicate, and so far is sleeping well, totally unlike her older brother. I am in love!

Incredibly, I had a fast and easy birth with only 20 minutes of real pain! I was at home having light cramps all afternoon, then suddenly searing pain hit, so we called a taxi and went to the birth center -- a 3-minute ride. I made it into the front entrance, and that was it. The baby practically fell out right into my pants (poor thing)!

Don't know if it was the semi-TF diet, or all the walking I did (about 2 hours/day of brisk walking), or just the fact that it was my second birth.

I stayed for 4 days at the birth center. The best thing about it was the food -- wonderful Japanese food 3X a day, always with mochi rice and adzuki beans, since in Japan they believe that these foods produce good milk (although the mochi rice is white rice ) WIth the rice came 5 small vegetable dishes and one small serving of protein -- fish, egg or meat. Every meal had at least 12 different veggies (I counted), and sometimes small bits of tofu.

OH, DS woke up. Later!
Congratulations on a beautiful baby girl!!!

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

Old 01-04-2008, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagamama View Post
Birth announcement!

: CONGRATS, Linda! Sachi is such a sweet name. I hope that once things quiet down we'll get to see a picture of her. It sounds like a wonderful birth experience!! Lots of good health & happiness to you
Old 01-04-2008, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookescott88 View Post
I don't know if this is off-topic but I wondered what prenatal books you ladies are reading. I borrowed all of mine the past two times and would like to purchase this time. Wondering if there are any tf preggo books?
Boy, if they are, I wanna know about them too!! None of the books I've read/been reading include TF, really. (Except for Nourishing Traditions of course.) I just ignore any/all dietary advice in the ones I do read. Though most that I'm reading don't include much at all...so that's good!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Banned

congratulations wagamama!

i am not reading any prenatal books so far. i'll probably read a couple of birth books--learn about the basics of normal birth and probably a bit about emergency birth, and go from there.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:04 PM

Welcome, Sachi!!! Congrats, mama
Old 01-06-2008, 06:08 PM

Mind if I join you all?

How long have you been interested in Traditional Foods and how did you first learn about it?
At some point we started to feed our pets a healthier diet. It was this that made me say, wait, are they eating better than we are?! For about a year I have done a lot of research about diet and finally found TF's over the summer. It just made sense to me. We always leaned toward minimally processed foods previously. We're not 100%, but getting better all the time.

Which number child will this be for you, and what are the ages of your other children (if any)?
We are expecting #3. Our girls are (almost) 5 and 20 months.

What kind of birth are you having?
We're hoping for our first UC. I'm really excited about it.

What are your other interests/hobbies?
I enjoy cooking, gardening, home improvement, and sewing as well. I seem to never have enough time to devote to all the interests I'd love to pursue!

What part of the world do you live in? Georgia

One crazy fun fact about yourself!
I don't know if I have anything really crazy. We have 2 mini horses, a goat, some chickens, 4 dogs, 3 cats, and a conure. Maybe that makes me crazy!
Old 01-06-2008, 06:42 PM

congrats, wagamama!!! sounds like a very precious birth!

i am looking forward to feeling better. i am not handling my hyperemesis in any natural way whatsoever. i'm on Zofran for vomiting, eating & drinking anything i can keep down. but i am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel- though i do not feel any better i know that soon (in like 3 weeks) i will begin to feel better. i am starting to feel energized about eating well again, especially since our recent foray into eating crap (because i am too ill to cook, etc) has gotten us all sick all winter.

welcome, Mom2Lex&Cay! our last birth was our first UC. it was everything birth was meant to be! i pray that we can have something like it in July. sometimes it feel like last time was too good to be true. i had an incredibly easy and short labor which i think was due to eating well and working hard through the entire pregnancy. our lifestyle in the summer includes tons of mandatory unsupported squatting, lol! crouching in the garden and tomatoes picking, tending etc.

i dont have great book recs. it seems they all fall short in at least one area. one book i really liked with my first pregnancy was Birthing From Within. and another book i really dig which is about postpartum time is After the Baby's Birth. and then, of course, there is The Continuum Concept, which isnt really about birth at all, but i think is a must read mind-opener.

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com

User Tag List