Gray Hair - Mineral Depletion? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 01-03-2008, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There was mention of premature gray hair being related to a zinc deficiency - are there any articles out there that discuss this? What about other dietary reasons for premature gray hair? I've had lots of gray since I was 18, I'm almost 31 & I'm tired of it. If it *is* due to a nutritional deficiency, can it be reversed once it's corrected?

Is there any reference to this in any TF literature?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#2 of 29 Old 01-03-2008, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't heard this, but I've heard that a thyroid imbalance, anemia, and/or B12 deficiency can cause premature gray hair. I'm sure there's a ton of other deficiencies or conditions that can cause gray hair that haven't been founded yet though.
#3 of 29 Old 01-03-2008, 03:05 AM

Are you using colloidal silver by any chance? I've heard that using over extensive periods may cause this.
#4 of 29 Old 01-03-2008, 03:09 AM

I apologize if this comes across as insensitive, but I see nothing wrong with grey hair. Grey hair is a symbol of wisdom and I personally think it's quite attractive. I have to object to viewing it as a defect (yes, even at 18 - my sister had grey hairs at 18 after being raised on a TF diet.) I'm 35 and I have lots of grey hair, I'm pretty sure I'm not deficient in anything, and I *like* my hair.

It's a cosmetic issue, and it's only our youth-obsessed culture that has devalued *everything* about growing older that makes people not want grey hair. In many cultures, you weren't treated seriously until you started to go grey. Sometimes I think that's a more sensible way to go.

Embrace your hair. Grey hair is fabulous, I'm sure you're gorgeously grey. Don't buy the youth-is-great message. And I also think that looking for mineral/vitamin/nutrient deficiencies for all your perceived imperfections is probably not as productive as learning to live with them. Some of them. I mean, there's a balance, right? Grey hair isn't really on the same level as IBS or depression or something like that. Argh, this isn't coming out right. I'm not trying to trivialize your concerns, I'm trying to say that not everything has a nutritional "answer" and some things don't need one.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#5 of 29 Old 01-03-2008, 12:17 PM

I agree that gray hair is appropriate but I have also soon people go prematurely gray during times of extreme stress. I don't know if that was due to the stress or to a deficiency but they were certainly deficient nutritionally. Those two can be related though...

Could it be that there are many reasons for going gray? To many to conclusively say?
#6 of 29 Old 01-03-2008, 05:39 PM

I noticed when I turned 40 that I was getting "gray areas" and I too thought maybe I was defficient in something......
Then I took a good look at my siblings, the 2 older than me both have quite a bit of grey hair and some thinning in the front , Like I just started having, and I also noticed one of my younger sibs start to thin .....
so I'm also thinking it is both normal, natural, part of "growing up" and also maybe something in the genes.....
#7 of 29 Old 01-03-2008, 08:40 PM

I have read that it is a result of insufficient hydrochloric acid. Ann Wigmore is the biggest resource I know of though Victoria Boutenko talks about it in several books too. Many people have had their original color restored by supplementing.

I don't think that the post was insensitive, but I do think that it is kind of irrelevant. Many people who view food as medicine look at physical symptoms as indications or signs of what their bodies need. I don't think that this is any different than saying if you have cramping muscles you need magnesium, or no sense of smell you need zinc etc. It's just a different way of looking at things.

Mainstream society is pretty sure that depression isn't a result of nutritional deficiency either. Same with diabetes. Many others too as I know you know. I think it's often prudent to at least research possible indications for things before writing them off. Imagine all the things we haven't yet connected! We have fabulous bodies that are great at communicating. They speak even more when we can learn to understand them.
#8 of 29 Old 01-03-2008, 08:41 PM

oh-and insufficient hydrochloric acid will lead to mineral deficiencies.
#9 of 29 Old 01-03-2008, 09:12 PM

I developed my first grey hair with my first pregnancy at 25 yrs, and my second grey hair with my second pregnancy 27 years. I did not eat very well with either one, so it very well may have been as a result of a deficiency of some sort.

Firefaery, I don't want to hijack this thread, but could you tell me little more about zinc deficiency and loss of sense of smell? I lost my sense of smell in 2001 after head injury, but it came back with my first pregnancy (not as good as before, but at least I could smell a little).
#10 of 29 Old 01-03-2008, 09:39 PM

I once read a post on this forum (sorry, no idea how to find that thread) where someone talked about her grandfather doing a course of heavy metal chealation (mercury, I think) and his hair started growing in dark again after many years of being grey. The longer he chelated, the more dark hairs he grew. So maybe loss of pigmentation in the hair can be caused by a variety of things.

What is hydrochloric acid and what foods have it?
#11 of 29 Old 01-03-2008, 09:42 PM

I started going grey at 14 years old. I have dyed it until recently - very recently, actually. When I decided to let it grow out and just be me.

However, if it is because of a vitamin deficiency, I'd like to look into that because perhaps that might related to other issues. Something to look into, anyway. but definitely not for vanity reasons. (I could've been interested in that 10 years ago, but I'm good with it now. )
#12 of 29 Old 01-03-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
Not found in foods. It's found in your stomach and it's part of the gastric secretions. If you have insufficient hydrochloric acid you might experience reflux, but you would most certainly not be able to properly breakdown and assimilate nutrients. Hydrochloric acid is essential in the ionization of minerals. Very commonly iron deficiency anemia is caused by insufficient HCL. Lack of it is a big causative factor in food allergies as without it you cannot properly break down proteins. It is portective as it is responsible for nearly sterilizing food in the stomach. Insufficient secretion can result in bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine. Conversely it also promotes the colonization of beneficial bacteria in the large intestines. Clearly it plays a HUGE part in the entire digestive process and is essential in maintaining superior nutrition.

Many digestive difficulties can be traced back to low HCL. Testing is SUPER easy. Drink beet juice on an empty stomach. IF your urine turns pink you need more hydrochloric acid.
#13 of 29 Old 01-03-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post

Firefaery, I don't want to hijack this thread, but could you tell me little more about zinc deficiency and loss of sense of smell? I lost my sense of smell in 2001 after head injury, but it came back with my first pregnancy (not as good as before, but at least I could smell a little).
http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/...erals/zinc.php

http://www.healthvitaminsguide.com/minerals/zinc.htm

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/alter/2...gs/653646.html

Here's a few links. In pregnancy were you by chance taking prenatal supplements? It *can* also be vitamin A deficiency, but more often than not it is zinc.
#14 of 29 Old 01-04-2008, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratc View Post
I haven't heard this, but I've heard that a thyroid imbalance, anemia, and/or B12 deficiency can cause premature gray hair. I'm sure there's a ton of other deficiencies or conditions that can cause gray hair that haven't been founded yet though.
My iron & B12 are good, had my thyroi tested & everything looked good, BUT, I have some pretty severe adrenal fatigue & I know that the thyroid is almost always affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowergirl~ View Post
Are you using colloidal silver by any chance? I've heard that using over extensive periods may cause this.
Nope, never used it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
I apologize if this comes across as insensitive, but I see nothing wrong with grey hair. Grey hair is a symbol of wisdom and I personally think it's quite attractive. I have to object to viewing it as a defect (yes, even at 18 - my sister had grey hairs at 18 after being raised on a TF diet.) I'm 35 and I have lots of grey hair, I'm pretty sure I'm not deficient in anything, and I *like* my hair.

It's a cosmetic issue, and it's only our youth-obsessed culture that has devalued *everything* about growing older that makes people not want grey hair. In many cultures, you weren't treated seriously until you started to go grey. Sometimes I think that's a more sensible way to go.

Embrace your hair. Grey hair is fabulous, I'm sure you're gorgeously grey. Don't buy the youth-is-great message. And I also think that looking for mineral/vitamin/nutrient deficiencies for all your perceived imperfections is probably not as productive as learning to live with them. Some of them. I mean, there's a balance, right? Grey hair isn't really on the same level as IBS or depression or something like that. Argh, this isn't coming out right. I'm not trying to trivialize your concerns, I'm trying to say that not everything has a nutritional "answer" and some things don't need one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
I agree that gray hair is appropriate but I have also soon people go prematurely gray during times of extreme stress. I don't know if that was due to the stress or to a deficiency but they were certainly deficient nutritionally. Those two can be related though...

Could it be that there are many reasons for going gray? To many to conclusively say?
I agree about the vanity thing, but I also agree with firefaery that it could be the body trying to show a deficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
I have read that it is a result of insufficient hydrochloric acid. Ann Wigmore is the biggest resource I know of though Victoria Boutenko talks about it in several books too. Many people have had their original color restored by supplementing.

I don't think that the post was insensitive, but I do think that it is kind of irrelevant. Many people who view food as medicine look at physical symptoms as indications or signs of what their bodies need. I don't think that this is any different than saying if you have cramping muscles you need magnesium, or no sense of smell you need zinc etc. It's just a different way of looking at things.

Mainstream society is pretty sure that depression isn't a result of nutritional deficiency either. Same with diabetes. Many others too as I know you know. I think it's often prudent to at least research possible indications for things before writing them off. Imagine all the things we haven't yet connected! We have fabulous bodies that are great at communicating. They speak even more when we can learn to understand them.
Eeeeenteresting! Danke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
I once read a post on this forum (sorry, no idea how to find that thread) where someone talked about her grandfather doing a course of heavy metal chealation (mercury, I think) and his hair started growing in dark again after many years of being grey. The longer he chelated, the more dark hairs he grew. So maybe loss of pigmentation in the hair can be caused by a variety of things.

I remember that thread, yes, you're right!

Quote:
Not found in foods. It's found in your stomach and it's part of the gastric secretions. If you have insufficient hydrochloric acid you might experience reflux, but you would most certainly not be able to properly breakdown and assimilate nutrients. Hydrochloric acid is essential in the ionization of minerals. Very commonly iron deficiency anemia is caused by insufficient HCL. Lack of it is a big causative factor in food allergies as without it you cannot properly break down proteins. It is portective as it is responsible for nearly sterilizing food in the stomach. Insufficient secretion can result in bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine. Conversely it also promotes the colonization of beneficial bacteria in the large intestines. Clearly it plays a HUGE part in the entire digestive process and is essential in maintaining superior nutrition.

Many digestive difficulties can be traced back to low HCL. Testing is SUPER easy. Drink beet juice on an empty stomach. IF your urine turns pink you need more hydrochloric acid.
So, if you drink beet juice & your urine is pink, what do you do? How do you supplement?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#15 of 29 Old 01-04-2008, 01:24 AM

About 7-8 years ago, a non-TF ND told me that she had a few clients who had grey hair, and after she put them on a particular green supplement, their hair came back in colored. I took that supplement and it didn't happen to me, but since it did happen for her clients, there must be something to the deficiency = gray hair business. Or, it could be that the green supplement was doing the detox/chelation bit.
#16 of 29 Old 01-04-2008, 01:30 AM

you buy some HCL-there's some links IIRC in the HTG cheat sheet. You can get it anywhere, but you want a decent brand. You take some before each meal working up to a fizzing sensation and back down one pill from that. So start with one. Next meal take two. Next three and so and and so forth until you feel it. Then after a month or so you at that same doseage should get some fizzing. Start stepping down. Gradually you work down to none. If, when you take one pill you get that sensation you have adequate levels.
#17 of 29 Old 01-04-2008, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
About 7-8 years ago, a non-TF ND told me that she had a few clients who had grey hair, and after she put them on a particular green supplement, their hair came back in colored. I took that supplement and it didn't happen to me, but since it did happen for her clients, there must be something to the deficiency = gray hair business. Or, it could be that the green supplement was doing the detox/chelation bit.
Boutenko restored HCL by having people do green smoothie feasts. It mostly has to do with pH I believe, but greens do also chelate.
#18 of 29 Old 01-04-2008, 01:45 AM

i started to go grey at 17, and now, at 28, am about 50/50 grey. i color it-i let it all grow out a couple times, and each time, i get to feeling so BLAH with it showing. it's not fear of age.it's just not pretty! my greys are wiry and a funky color and i just don't feel pretty salt and pepper haired in my 20's. it makes me look and feel sort of colorless and tired. dull. maybe one day, i can embrace my grey with joy. or not. whatever
i've had all my vitamin & mineral levels tested this pregnancy, and nothing was off, so for me anyways, it's not that. i think it's genetic-my dad was totally grey by 30.

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#19 of 29 Old 01-04-2008, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
you buy some HCL-there's some links IIRC in the HTG cheat sheet. You can get it anywhere, but you want a decent brand. You take some before each meal working up to a fizzing sensation and back down one pill from that. So start with one. Next meal take two. Next three and so and and so forth until you feel it. Then after a month or so you at that same doseage should get some fizzing. Start stepping down. Gradually you work down to none. If, when you take one pill you get that sensation you have adequate levels.
Thanks! Are the HTG cheat sheats at the top of H&H?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Erin* View Post
i started to go grey at 17, and now, at 28, am about 50/50 grey. i color it-i let it all grow out a couple times, and each time, i get to feeling so BLAH with it showing. it's not fear of age.it's just not pretty! my greys are wiry and a funky color and i just don't feel pretty salt and pepper haired in my 20's. it makes me look and feel sort of colorless and tired. dull. maybe one day, i can embrace my grey with joy. or not. whatever
i've had all my vitamin & mineral levels tested this pregnancy, and nothing was off, so for me anyways, it's not that. i think it's genetic-my dad was totally grey by 30.
Maybe it's just us Erins.

#20 of 29 Old 01-04-2008, 03:28 AM

Very interesting. I say often that I got my first gray hair 3 days postpartum. The last two weeks though, I have just begun to sprout...5 years later.
I know I have adrenal fatigue and a thyroid issue. I never put two and two together.
Tell me more about this HC acid.

Mother to one wild and crazy boy 12/29/2002.
Midwife, Homeschool Educator and Crafter.
#21 of 29 Old 01-04-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Erin* View Post
Depends on the test. Some will only pick up pathological levels-meaning you are really SUFFERING from a deficiency as opposed to being very low. There is a range of normal, and even if you fall into that range you can still be on the brink and be signed off as being okay. Other tests will be skewed if you are taking synthetic vitamins. They will show up as being present in your body, but you can't use them. That test will show you are fine even if you are really very low.
#22 of 29 Old 01-04-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicsquirrel View Post
Very interesting. I say often that I got my first gray hair 3 days postpartum. The last two weeks though, I have just begun to sprout...5 years later.
I know I have adrenal fatigue and a thyroid issue. I never put two and two together.
Tell me more about this HC acid.
This is all part of the cascade. IF you read about it you'll see that dis-ease of any kind creates a vicious cycle. One thing after another goes out of whack because all of these processes require ALL systems to be intact to work properly. One thing goes wrong and everything has to shift to compensate. Different people will have different issues that become glaring and that is dependent more upon your constitution. Different things will suffer first in different people. That is why when people have illesses like adrenal fatigue or diabetes or hypothyroid they often have other issues too...yeast overgrowth, fibromyalgia, food allergies, low HCL etc.

IMO it's often a mistake to treat the symptoms you "see" because so many things have to happen for a symptom to become "visible." I like to look at the whole picture and trace it back to the source. Taking supplements to heal a leaky gut for instance is a waste of time and money if the gut is leaking due to low HCL. You will be on supplements for life until you fix the original problem. That's not to say, of course that you shouldn't TREAT the leaky gut, just that you shouldn't do so with blinders. the body is an intricate system and it's important to address it as a whole.
#23 of 29 Old 01-04-2008, 10:23 AM

Oh-and yes, the HTG cheat sheet is in H&H!
#24 of 29 Old 01-04-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
And here my chemistry teacher was trying to teach us it was corrosive and not even to touch it!

So my question is, how does one get to be HCl deficient in the first place? Knowing that tells me how to correct it w/o the HCl pills, which it seems would only solve the problem temporarily? I'm pretty certain I'd fail the beet test, having turned pink just by eating the beets themselves in the past.
#25 of 29 Old 01-04-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/...erals/zinc.php

http://www.healthvitaminsguide.com/minerals/zinc.htm

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/alter/2...gs/653646.html

Here's a few links. In pregnancy were you by chance taking prenatal supplements? It *can* also be vitamin A deficiency, but more often than not it is zinc.
Thank you for those links! I did take a prenatal during my pregnancy. I'm taking CLO now, so hopefully I don't have a vit A defiency. I just got some pic mins for ds, I think I start taking them now too. I haven't taken a multiple vit. since my last pregnancy, which I should maybe also do too.

I will look into getting some HCl, I was a veg. for over 20 years and since my I've starting eating meat I do feel unsettled in the stomach most of the time. And I've been experiencing GERD since my second pregnancy. Is there any harm in taking it?
#26 of 29 Old 01-04-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalCatholicMam View Post
And here my chemistry teacher was trying to teach us it was corrosive and not even to touch it!

So my question is, how does one get to be HCl deficient in the first place? Knowing that tells me how to correct it w/o the HCl pills, which it seems would only solve the problem temporarily? I'm pretty certain I'd fail the beet test, having turned pink just by eating the beets themselves in the past.
OH-MAKE NO MISTAKE! It is terribly corrosive in it's raw chemical form. It is buffered when you buy it in pills. Think about what happens to an anorexic's teeth-they get brittle and chalky from the HCl being regurgitated. The whole reflux burning your esophogus thing is no joke-it happens. They just don't understand that it's usually a result of too LITTLE hydrochloric acid.

There are many ways to become deficient-it's usually a result of improper pH or a highly refined diet. Some say it's eating too many cooked foods which use the reserves.

As I said, Boutenko found that by adding one quart of green smoothie a day ALONG with supplementation increased natural levels quickly and people were able to get off supplementation. Doing a green smoothie feast (nothing by green smoothies) for a month with no supplementation of HCl had the same effect.

What you are doing is eating something that is highly alkaline (corrective pH), raw (no digestive juices required), nutrient dense (loaded with minerals and enzymes) and real (no refined foods) so you can see that regardless of why it happens, all theories are addressed with her approach. I personally think all of them factor in.
#27 of 29 Old 01-04-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Is there any harm in taking it?
No. If you don't need it you'll know and you can just stop. No harm done. Given that you are experiencing reflux though, I highly doubt that will be your issue. It is actually quite rare that reflux is a result of too much hydrochloric acid. IT does happen, but it's more rare than people realize. And again, you'll be out a couple bucks but you will not harm yourself as long as you don't persist once you feel the fizzing.

It's much like zinc supplementation....there's a built in mechanism of defense. If you take zinc alone in a liquid form you know you don't need it if you can taste it. Once your body has enough it tastes metallic and you can then stop supplementing.
#28 of 29 Old 01-05-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
No. If you don't need it you'll know and you can just stop. No harm done. Given that you are experiencing reflux though, I highly doubt that will be your issue. It is actually quite rare that reflux is a result of too much hydrochloric acid. IT does happen, but it's more rare than people realize. And again, you'll be out a couple bucks but you will not harm yourself as long as you don't persist once you feel the fizzing.

It's much like zinc supplementation....there's a built in mechanism of defense. If you take zinc alone in a liquid form you know you don't need it if you can taste it. Once your body has enough it tastes metallic and you can then stop supplementing.
Thank you!
#29 of 29 Old 01-07-2008, 03:03 AM

my dad tried to complement a woman who had really pretty silver hair that worked at a vitamin store once. she got snippy and told him that it was a copper deficiency. not sure if that is one of the causes of grey hair or not though.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page