What TV CHef is the Most TF?? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 89 Old 12-29-2008, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIris View Post
Can you imagine all the legal disclaimers they would have to have on a truly TF Food Network show?

Let's picture the TF chef whipping up a smoothie...

"So you start with 2 cups of raw milk..." [flashing across bottom of screen: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME IF YOU LIVE IN A STATE WHERE RAW MILK IS ILLEGAL.]
"...and add in 3 raw eggs..." [CONSUME RAW EGGS AT YOUR OWN RISK!]
"...plus 2 Tbsps. Virgin Coconut Oil..." [PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT VCO IS 90% SATURATED FAT; PERSONS WITH HIGH CHOLESTEROL SHOULD CONSULT THEIR DOCTOR BEFORE CONSUMING.]

And who would sponsor a show like that? All the processed food manufacturers would hate it.

But it sure would be COOL.

Iris

laughing with tears

Pat

I have a blog.
#62 of 89 Old 12-29-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow2911 View Post
I guess you don't get the River cottage series in the US or Canada? Usually very tf friendly. You might be able to find some online somewhere - worth watching.
There was also a series on in Autumn in the UK called 'what to eat now' which was good - lots of seasonal and traditional recipes from around the UK (and I now know why 'stinking bishop' cheese has it's name )
I really enjoyed Jamie at home. I also really really want his kitchen and garden (preferably complete with wise gardener!). I have been meaning to try out the deep fried whole pigeon he did - you eat it bones and all so that must be pretty nutrient dense!
I was just going to post about Hugh! No, we don't get this series in the U.S. but since discovering his meat book I've watched every single youtube clip of his I can find. WHY can't we have a show like this? The man makes me want to try squirrel!
#63 of 89 Old 12-29-2008, 03:18 PM

I love Hugh, too. I have his book "Hugh Fearlessly Eats It All" and it's fantastic (it's essays, not recipes). There's a part in there where he talks about his son (age about 4 I think) having a difficult time choosing between chocolate and a just-picked pea pod. To me, that's the hallmark of a well-fed child, that they KNOW how good things like peas can be.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#64 of 89 Old 12-29-2008, 03:39 PM

I adore AB.

And he totally makes fun of the raw milk/cheese thing! I know it's been more than one episode.

I guess his cooking is sort of where I am right now ... I'm trying to learn and move away from convenience food, packaged mixes, etc ... but it's a journey and yes, my DH wants white bread and chocolate chip cookies. If I can feed him homemade sourdough and fresh-baked cookies, that's better than WonderBread and Chips Ahoy.

I love Anthony Bourdain too. His commentary is hilarious!
#65 of 89 Old 12-29-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rune View Post
I adore AB.
My kids and I do too. Alton Brown pretty much taught me how to cook. I make brown rice his way (in the oven) and it turns out perfect every time. Also, I love to know the science behind the food.

He also is the reason I got rid of my microwave. He had something in the facts one time about a huge amout of nutrients being cooked out of Broccoli when using a mircrowave.

I found Good Eats a year ago and watched it every night, and I am a much better cook for it.
K
#66 of 89 Old 06-07-2009, 06:33 PM

I want to set the DVR up to record some simple, 4 ingredient type recipes. I need easy and nutrient dense. Who does EASY cooking/baking/no baking? I want to learn to use the food processor and vitamix more. EASY, did I mention simple recipes?

Pat

I have a blog.
#67 of 89 Old 06-08-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post

I want to set the DVR up to record some simple, 4 ingredient type recipes. I need easy and nutrient dense. Who does EASY cooking/baking/no baking? I want to learn to use the food processor and vitamix more. EASY, did I mention simple recipes?

Pat

Not on TV, but I found some very simple wholesome recipes in the Slow Food Nation's cookbook, a la Alice Waters. Does she have a show? Maybe something on the web?

#68 of 89 Old 06-08-2009, 10:41 AM

We don't have any commercial television at all but Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is the person I would consider most TF in the cooking world in general. He's a smallholder in England and a real food, real farm campaigner, eating from hedgerows and using every part of the animals and veg. He writes cookbooks and has a BBC show that may be available on BBC America. He's definitely worth checking out. We do have Netflix and watch Two Fat Ladies; they are great and not afraid of FOOD!

eta: just saw the Fearnley-Whittingstall mentions above! Woohoo! Good stuff!
#69 of 89 Old 06-08-2009, 12:52 PM

Has any one mentioned Heston Blumenthall yet? I was watching his Medieval Feast the other day and he cooked bulls testicles which has got to be pretty hard core tf! He also made Lampreys and when the fish (uncooked and intact) came on ds2 ran up to the tv shouting 'yummy fishy'! He really does adore fish if he thinks lamprey look tasty!

Ruth, mum to B (9), P (8) and T (5)

#70 of 89 Old 06-08-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Has any one mentioned Heston Blumenthall yet? I was watching his Medieval Feast the other day and he cooked bulls testicles which has got to be pretty hard core tf! He also made Lampreys and when the fish (uncooked and intact) came on ds2 ran up to the tv shouting 'yummy fishy'! He really does adore fish if he thinks lamprey look tasty!
Heston Blumenthall is definitely not TF - he is into molecular gastronomy, "perfect" food as opposed to traditional, sous-vide techniques (cooking IN PLASTIC ick) and he's entirely oblivious to nutrition issues. He does use a wider range of ingredients than many chefs, but he treats them in highly untraditional manners.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#71 of 89 Old 06-08-2009, 01:18 PM

Perhaps his interest in historical foods is a new one then. He has done a series of programs cooking a menu from different ages in Britain which was interesting. He might not be a tf chef but that series was interesting from a tf view.

Ruth, mum to B (9), P (8) and T (5)

#72 of 89 Old 06-08-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Perhaps his interest in historical foods is a new one then. He has done a series of programs cooking a menu from different ages in Britain which was interesting. He might not be a tf chef but that series was interesting from a tf view.
Oh, that would be cool. I've only seen his "In Search of Perfection" series which kind of turned me off him.

#73 of 89 Old 06-09-2009, 04:59 PM

I am a total fan of Jamie Oliver. I was sold when he used lard in his pie crust : His new show and book are all about seasonal, local, healthy foods. He might use a little sugar on occasion, but he is not afraid of fat and uses local grass fed meats. And his food tastes good. :

Wife to Matt, Mama to DD Elliot (12/31/09). We familybed1.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomebirth.jpgcd.giffly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif
#74 of 89 Old 07-23-2009, 02:55 PM

I would vote for Rick Bayless (who is on PBS, not FN). He is, as far as I know, completely true to the traditional Mexican styles of cooking and uses lard, offal, recommends soaking in lime water when making masa, etc. We use his cookbook a ton.

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#75 of 89 Old 07-23-2009, 02:59 PM

Just piping up to second the suggestions for Jamie Oliver and Rick Bayless. Love those guys! One of my Rick Bayless cookbooks has tons of recipes for the bits and bobs of various animals. Wish that one had pictures... I'm always more likely to grab and use a cookbook with photos.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#76 of 89 Old 08-04-2009, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm chiming in late, but I think Jamie Oliver is the most TF... and I love that he's into the local food/slow food movement

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#77 of 89 Old 08-04-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
One of my Rick Bayless cookbooks has tons of recipes for the bits and bobs of various animals. Wish that one had pictures... I'm always more likely to grab and use a cookbook with photos.
I found an old 1887 edition of a cookbook at a consignment store this weekend. It has recipes for cooking and preparing beef heart (2), kidney, liver, tongue, tail, head (3), brain cutlets, sweetbreads (5), tripe (4). Similarly for pork and lamb, chicken, duck, hare, goose, partridge, pigeon, quail, rabbit, snipe, squab, squirrels, venison, etc. Menus by month, and cooking for the sick. Plus, how to clean jewelry, make glue, kill insects and vermin, make soap, cold cream, lip salve, hair dye, remove freckles, etc. Make pies, pastries, preserves, pickles, breads, custards, soups, sauces, etc. etc.

AND it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Original-White.../dp/B001Q9A5KY

Pat

I have a blog.
#78 of 89 Old 08-04-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIris View Post
I was just thinking the other day how cool it would be if there were a totally TF cooking show on Food Network!

Of course, I'm picturing someone trying to host a show like that and deal with the various time frames involved in "slow food" cooking. That would be tricky.

DH and I were joking that for two or three days in a row, the entire show could just be a camera focused on a pot of simmering soup stock while Sally Fallon's voice in the background explains the nutritional benefits of bone broth and reads selected quotes from NT.
This made me LOL!!! laughup

Double majoring Philosophy/History single student mommy geek.gif to DD(4yo)dust.gif. I heartbeat.gif reading (mostly feminist philosophy, Simone de Beauvoir and Jane Addams are my intellectual heros. I'm a dork pinktongue.gif), and sewmachine.gif.
You've got to get man off your eyeball, before you can see anything at all.- Shug Avery in "The Color Purple"

#79 of 89 Old 08-05-2009, 11:21 AM

I was watching Paula Dean the other day and thought about this thread. The stuff she makes really is awful. She was making some kind of casserole and crushed up potato chips into it.

~Amanda~ crunchy, foodie SAHM to DD 8/14/08
#80 of 89 Old 08-05-2009, 01:10 PM

I'm currently loving Jacques Pepin. You can get his videos on netflix and he's on those public stations as well. His Fast Food My WAy videos are awesome. He even showed how to preserve cherries in Alcohol the other day and how to boil eggs so that the shells just fall off (poke hole with pin in fat end and drop into boiling water for 10 minutes). This technique has worked for me twice with my backyard chicken eggs which usually lose about half of the white when I boil them because of the nature of fresh backyard eggs. He uses butter and duck fat.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#81 of 89 Old 08-05-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I found an old 1887 edition of a cookbook at a consignment store this weekend. It has recipes for cooking and preparing beef heart (2), kidney, liver, tongue, tail, head (3), brain cutlets, sweetbreads (5), tripe (4). Similarly for pork and lamb, chicken, duck, hare, goose, partridge, pigeon, quail, rabbit, snipe, squab, squirrels, venison, etc. Menus by month, and cooking for the sick. Plus, how to clean jewelry, make glue, kill insects and vermin, make soap, cold cream, lip salve, hair dye, remove freckles, etc. Make pies, pastries, preserves, pickles, breads, custards, soups, sauces, etc. etc.

AND it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Original-White.../dp/B001Q9A5KYPat
I have a book called "Cooking for Young Homemakers" from the '60's that is more TF than Fallon.LOL I found it on Ebay. It's got drying and preserving techniques galore and a few different ketchup recipes from back when they spelled it "catchup."

And from looking up NT's resources, I found a place called Terre Vivante which was founded by one of her main sources. They put out a book called "Preserving Food without Canning or Freezing" and it's full of great lacto-fermented recipes as well as my favorite Walnut Wine that I had once and have been dreaming of ever since.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#82 of 89 Old 08-05-2009, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
Oh I forgot a show I like too - French Food at Home. Dunno if it's in the States. The host is kinda weird, she talks with her mouth closed all the time, but the food is incredible. Traditional french stuff, I got a brussel sprout recipe off it that's to die for. The veg recipes especially are lovely.
I love French Food at Home. It's my number one favourite for recipes, but I do get pretty annoyed at the constant weird filming and boob shots

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#83 of 89 Old 08-08-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
I have a book called "Cooking for Young Homemakers" from the '60's that is more TF than Fallon.LOL I found it on Ebay. It's got drying and preserving techniques galore and a few different ketchup recipes from back when they spelled it "catchup."

And from looking up NT's resources, I found a place called Terre Vivante which was founded by one of her main sources. They put out a book called "Preserving Food without Canning or Freezing" and it's full of great lacto-fermented recipes as well as my favorite Walnut Wine that I had once and have been dreaming of ever since.
I have that book - the Preserving Food without Canning or Freezing one. Amazon suggested I might like it, and while it creeps me out that Amazon seems to know me better than my spouse sometimes, it was right. There are, however, a LOT of recipes that use a LOT of sugar. But it's a great book, beautifully done, and I do like it.

#84 of 89 Old 08-08-2009, 01:45 AM

Okay, so Walter Staib may not be a household name, but he is definitely a TF chef. In a new short series coming out on PBS called A Taste of History, Staib recreates 17th & 18th century colonial food without using modern day shortcuts. I watched the pilot clip, it was really interesting.

http://www.charlottesvillenewsplex.t.../51351862.html
#85 of 89 Old 03-15-2010, 02:41 PM

ABC to debut 'Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution' reality show on March 26

(I grew up just east of Huntington, toxin haven)

Pat

I have a blog.
#86 of 89 Old 03-16-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
ABC to debut 'Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution' reality show on March 26

(I grew up just east of Huntington, toxin haven)

Pat
Go Jamie!! Can't wait for the premier.
#87 of 89 Old 03-16-2010, 01:48 PM

I was not too familiar with Jamie Olivers previous shows but I LOVE his Jamie at Home series. Although we ditched cable TV to save money and I made DH download the episodes so I could watch them. He cooks out of his quaint English cottage that includes an amazing veggie garden, chickens running around and outdoor ovens. What is TF about his show is he talks about eating pastured meat and eggs, as well as game. He had a whole show on small game animals. He visited a local chicken farm and spoke out against battery chickens. He also uses bacon/grease and butter a lot for cooking. I think he’s mentioned lard too.

I have made his pasta carbonara with fresh zucchini from my summer garden (using only half the pasta), cream, eggs and bacon. It’s wonderful!

When I think of chefs like Paula Deen and Ina Garten, I think more about the fattening desserts they create. And although they contain a lot of cream and butter, they also contain a lot of flour and sugar.

Anyway, I will check out Oliver’s new show – Food Revolution – this month. Yeah!!

Rhianna
#88 of 89 Old 03-16-2010, 09:04 PM

No one's mentioned Gordon Ramsay's teacher, Marco Pierre White. I watched the American version of "The Chopping Block" and he had them do things like go out and forage for herbs and stuff in Central Park.
If he's not included, then I go with Gordon Ramsay.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#89 of 89 Old 07-03-2010, 07:18 AM

I haven't read this thread yet and don't know that I will get around to it soon, but wanted to quickly post about The Gourmet Chef. It is Australian and about a food critique (sp?!) that moves from Sidney to Tasmania to live as local as possible. He makes real ice cream from local goats' milk, makes cheese, raises pigs, gets a cow and chickens and grows a garden. Fun to watch and very TF. The man loves food, so he is not scared of real things, like fat. I enjoy it. And it is great to see him learn how to produce his own food.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page