raw bacon! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-21-2008, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3 yo ds wants his bacon raw! (He's eating some as I type. Now, I eat raw meat, eggs, dairy... and so does he (except for the meat which he won't eat cooked or raw unless I hide it in things... or it's bacon), so I do not fear raw food. And the bacon is from pastured heirloom pigs from a family farm and is nitrate-free. AND, I think if he's craving it raw, there is a reason. Still, I don't know how I feel about him eating this. Does the curing process kill parasites? I've been getting over my fear of parasites lately, but the dangers of pork and trichinosis (sp?) are deeply ingrained. It even seems that the primal diet people don't eat pork, and I know they wouldn't eat bacon because it's salted. Does trich live in the fat or the muscle? I suppose I could just let him eat the fat part of the bacon raw if it's in the muscle (which I suspect). It's 90% fat anyway. I always read about parents freaking out about their toddlers eating a stick of butter, and think what's the big deal? Their bodies must need it. I try to trust my ds's instincts when it comes to natural foods and let him self-regulate, but this freaks me out a little. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 01-21-2008, 12:49 PM

I'd at least learn more b4 letting him eat it - due to parasites in pigs. I think pork is diff than other meat - it wasn't included in the clean meat in the OT or the Maker's Diet which follows that. Maybe he can get what he is craving from something else? (like people who crave chalk shouldn't necessarily eat it) but then I don't eat any meat raw so....
#3 of 16 Old 01-21-2008, 01:03 PM

#4 of 16 Old 01-21-2008, 01:26 PM

Has the bacon been frozen? I let my son eat raw store bacon if it has been frozen : I let my son eat raw pork breakfast sausage raised and processed personally by my neighbor even if it hasn't been frozen.

With your source I don't think you will ever have anything to worry about.
#5 of 16 Old 01-21-2008, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

It has. It arrived frozen in the mail. I'm not sure if it was frozen at a low enough temp. to kill trichinosis, though. I did a little research... it didn't really make me feel MUCH better, but it seems that the cysts are in the muscle meat, so if he ask for it raw, I can just peel off the fat and give THAT to him. It's nice to know that I'm not the ONLY mama to have let their dc eat raw bacon!
#6 of 16 Old 01-21-2008, 08:34 PM

Bacon's always smoked, isn't it? If I'm correct in that, then it's not raw. The smoker is too high a temp.
#7 of 16 Old 01-21-2008, 08:45 PM
AJP

Bacon can be either cold smoked or hot smoked. It's supposed to be kept below a certain temp (which I don't recall at the moment) or the fat will start to render and drip away during the smoking process. So, it's not technically cooked, but maybe some bacon gets to a high enough temp while being smoked to kill parasites. The salting might be a factor, too.

There is no secret ingredient.
#8 of 16 Old 01-21-2008, 09:03 PM

I'm all for eating raw beef and beef liver but I had some health problems that I am almost certain were from pork. One was a parasite. I had a pork roast drip out in my refrigerator (left it in too long too defrost). Personally, I'm leary of pork in general and raw pork in particular.
#9 of 16 Old 01-21-2008, 09:36 PM

my brotherinlaw had pork from a family ranch and he helped prepare the meat. he was nine and ever since has had severe seizures. they think that it was a parasite that aattacked his brain. sorry, but i wouldn't do it with my kids.
#10 of 16 Old 01-22-2008, 12:14 AM

trich is supposedly only a problem with conv pork. as far as pork being 'unclean', there's more politics to it than the meat actually being unclean. i believe people have eaten wild boar for a long, long time. and in fact it was a favored meat (which is why it became a taboo food when environmental changes made it difficult to raise a lot of pigs).
as for eating it raw, i have no clue since i don't eat raw meat.
#11 of 16 Old 01-22-2008, 07:19 PM

the parasite that my BIL is suspected to have is some kind of worm, i believe, not trich.
#12 of 16 Old 01-23-2008, 09:35 PM

My first step would be to find out from the folks who raised the pig whether or not they wormed the pig at any point.

Not sure I'd mention WHY, per se, but that's what springs to mind for me.
#13 of 16 Old 01-24-2008, 05:01 PM

A man in my city contracted a worm from undercooked pork. Said worm was about 12 inches long and living in his brain. They showed an image of it while it was still in his brain on the news. I wasn't inclined to eat raw pork of any sort before that, but seeing that worm in that man's brain definitely sealed the deal.
#14 of 16 Old 01-24-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatermelonSnow View Post
A man in my city contracted a worm from undercooked pork. Said worm was about 12 inches long and living in his brain. They showed an image of it while it was still in his brain on the news. I wasn't inclined to eat raw pork of any sort before that, but seeing that worm in that man's brain definitely sealed the deal.

ITA

My mother is an pediatric RN (nurse for 38 years now) and have seen and treated children with worms in their brains, mostly from undercooked pork. It’s more common with children from Mexico, but still not a risk I am willing to take.
#15 of 16 Old 01-24-2008, 11:42 PM

I wonder what the symptoms are for a worm in the brain. That's so highly disgusting.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#16 of 16 Old 01-24-2008, 11:56 PM

A person can have them for years and be symptom free. Most of the kids according to my mother, she saw went in because they were having seizures and perhaps less alarming symptoms.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page