why did my cashews turn purple? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-23-2008, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've done many rounds of soaked and dehydrated nuts to date (dehydrated at 105, so not exactly crispy nuts, which are roasted). Tons of pecans, walnuts, almonds. I honestly can't remember if I've done cashews in the past. I like them, but they're not my favorite; I eat them so seldom, I haven't worried about them being unsoaked. But DD2 is crazy for them, so I did a round for her this time. I only had one bag, so I soaked them together in a large bowl with walnuts and almonds (the last truly raw almonds I had kicking around my fridge from a while back, now that they're chemically treating them

So, they turned purple. It was entirely superficial, I could scratch it off when they were wet, and there were streaks, like scratches, of the normal cashew color showing through. The color darkened to a dark purpley-brown upon dehydrating. They taste about normal (though I left the dehydrator go too long, forgot to check 'em before bed, so they're all a little too crunchy.)

Any ideas? This is really weird. DD2 doesn't seem to mind, but they creep me out Is it something from the skins of the almonds, or do cashews always do this in brine? Or did I let them soak too long? I meant to start dehydrating after 24 hours soak, but I got tied up and they went more like 30 hours or so.
#2 of 5 Old 01-24-2008, 01:27 AM

Mine do that too!
#3 of 5 Old 01-24-2008, 01:48 AM

I thought I read cashews are only supposed to have a short soak, like 6 hours, because they're already cooked. They weren't soggy, or spongy or anything? I thought that's what would happen if they were soaked so long (you can tell I haven't actually done this myself, I've been reading and wondering if we'll eat enough nuts to make buying a dehydrator a practicality).
#4 of 5 Old 01-24-2008, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

You know, I thought I'd heard that cashews were always cooked, too; but these were listed as raw. And a local company that makes raw products does soaked and dehydrated cashews. Hang on, let me look it up in wikipedia.

Aha, yes, wikipedia says they're not truly raw:
Quote:
The so-called "raw cashews" available in health food shops have been cooked but not roasted or browned.
Well, damn, that's annoying.

Some more info on it: http://www.living-foods.com/articles/rawcashew.html

Looks like there are a few places online to buy truly raw cashews. I may have to invest in some from here sometime.
#5 of 5 Old 01-24-2008, 04:45 AM

Well that explains the purple spots on mine from the last batch! :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page