You know you are a TF household when... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 02-02-2008, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbchavez View Post
when your nursing 3 yo looks up at you and says "Mommy's nursies taste like pastured milk"

My almost-3-yo recently had to go off milk, due to an allergy. (Got pasteurized crap from my MIL and now he's even allergic to raw.) He still laughs at me when I tell him my milk is MILK. He thinks that's the biggest joke. Mine is "boob" and anything in a sippy cup is "milk."

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 60 Old 02-02-2008, 12:28 PM

what are your ds's symptoms of milk allergy? My ds recently had some pasteurized skim milk (thanks DH!), and it burned his bum. Now I'm worried he's allergic to his raw milk, too. He's been coughing and congested, which has me flustered since he so rarely gets sick. Of course, he could just have a virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post

My almost-3-yo recently had to go off milk, due to an allergy. (Got pasteurized crap from my MIL and now he's even allergic to raw.) He still laughs at me when I tell him my milk is MILK. He thinks that's the biggest joke. Mine is "boob" and anything in a sippy cup is "milk."
#33 of 60 Old 02-02-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
...when one of the first phrases your DD said was "more kelp mama!! more kelp!!!"

...when you're the person all your friends turn to when they get gifts of, say, elk bits from well-meaning relatives.

...when your DD refers to CLO as "yummies"

...when your DD's favourite food is "fish balls" (aka marinated salmon roe)

...when you have a hard time justifying giving the dog ANY "scrap" meat, because you really could use it in a stock

...when you have the phone number for your HFS's egg supplier above your phone because you heard she might sell her laying hens for stew when they're too old

...when your fridge looks like a cross between an agricultural research station's cold storage, a science experiment and a produce cooler.

Dh reffering to certain things in our fridge: "what is all this stufff?"

When the majority of things you buy are INGREDIENTS, not finished products. So much so , that the kids try to search the fridge all day long, relentlessly hopeful , and all they come up with is cheese, carrots, and the like.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#34 of 60 Old 02-02-2008, 04:11 PM

When the waitress brings the bread basket and ds says in a very loud voice "why did she put plastic (margarine) in here?"

When my boys came up with a RAP about chemicals in food - something to do w/ citric acid and TBHQ...

when my poor ds thought he was saving my friend's life by explaining to her how dangerous diet coke is... - He still does not understand that everyone does not want to KNOW.

When other ds can finish of the skins from two roasted chickens and still ask for more!!

When every night as a family we line up oj and clo shooters... and because of all of this:

When ds finally has rosy cheeks for the 1st time and is six years old!!

I LOVE YOU GUYS - THANKS for all YOUR SUPPORT AND GUIDANCE
#35 of 60 Old 02-02-2008, 06:13 PM

ha ha my 7 year old wrote a song about organic whole foods sprouting from the earth...i'm gonna u tube it! So cute! He plays his guitar while singing...

Milk snobs- When your kids refuse to drink pasturized milk and KNOW the difference. Ask if their beef is grass fed and refuse ravoli at nanas bcus it came from a can. I love it!

You dont shop at a regular grocery store.

xoxoxox

#36 of 60 Old 02-03-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
...when your fridge looks like a cross between an agricultural research station's cold storage, a science experiment and a produce cooler.
EXACTLY!!!

creative mom of two free-spirited boys (03/03, 11/04) : unschooling, nature loving, crafting, making, passion following family ribbonjigsaw.gif
#37 of 60 Old 02-03-2008, 12:47 PM

... When you purposely introduce bacteria to your food.
... When you don't blink an eye mixing raw egg yolks and cultured dairy that's been sitting out for days into a salad dressing.
... When you're happier if your farmer friend says, "I didn't have time to refrigerate these eggs after collecting them this morning."

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#38 of 60 Old 02-03-2008, 02:22 PM

when you dont tell your relatives "exactly" whats in your recipe because they'd never try it if they knew it had, gasp, raw egg yolks in the key lime pie. i made some soaked muesli the other day and brought soem to my mother who says she's been having digestive issues lately, she said thanks and then whispered "it's not going to make me sick is it?".
#39 of 60 Old 02-03-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakra View Post

You dont shop at a regular grocery store.

yeah, this is a big one! The only things I ever go to Safeway for are the movie machine(not very often), and koolaid for dyeing wool yarn.

#40 of 60 Old 02-03-2008, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Or when you go to the "regular" grocery store and are truly shocked, overwhelmed and flabbergasted at what you see there
#41 of 60 Old 02-03-2008, 04:51 PM

...when your DC's friends ask your DC "does your mom EVER go to the store? Well, next time, tell her to get some chips and pop". And your DC reply, "but that isn't good for you. That is junk food, and it will make you sick"!

...when your children prefer homemade yogurt to storebought.

...when your children beg for smoothies (loaded with coconut oil, kefir, and the like).

...when you do shop at the store, you spend more on non-food items (like toilet paper, light bulbs and bandaids) than food, because, you know, real food comes from the farm.

...when you eat dinner with other people, your DC assume that everything came from "the farm", not from a grocery store.

...when your DD asks what that is, pointing to a piece of storebought butter. She thought it was cheese, because it was so pale. "but Mama, butter is YELLOW!"

...when your DD is shocked that store eggs are (GASP!) WHITE!!

...when you feel good about saying yes to your DC's request for ice cream, since it's made with raw cream and organic vanilla, and not much else.
#42 of 60 Old 02-03-2008, 07:51 PM

yes, you more interested in obtaining good whole foods than in obtaining new clothes and shoes or am I just quirky?
#43 of 60 Old 02-03-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki98 View Post
yes, you more interested in obtaining good whole foods than in obtaining new clothes and shoes or am I just quirky?

nah, shopping for herbs and whole foods , especially from co-ops is way more fun!

#44 of 60 Old 02-03-2008, 10:12 PM

QWhen you see other moms feeding their kids doritos and capri suns and you think to yourself...those poor kids if only the mom knew.

xoxoxox

#45 of 60 Old 02-04-2008, 10:58 PM

When you're drinking fresh real milk and you know the name of the cow it came from.
#46 of 60 Old 02-05-2008, 09:13 AM

* when rice cakes are bad for you...

* when your kids play store with toy food, and when you come to "buy" something, they tell you "this store has no sugar, no colors, no wheat and no milk."
#47 of 60 Old 02-05-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
:

When your dh gives you a large cast iron skillet for your anniversary and says "now I can cook you bacon in the morning"

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#48 of 60 Old 02-05-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:

DD and I got our first babysitting cheque the other day and we ran straight to the charcuterie for rabbit pie, headcheese, raw milk brie and free-range bacon. Mmmm... so good!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#49 of 60 Old 02-05-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
:

When your dh gives you a large cast iron skillet for your anniversary and says "now I can cook you bacon in the morning"

Jen

Ha! This is so true! DH was asking me the other day why I don't use an electric skillet to pan-fry steak instead of broiling it in the oven. I said "WHAT??!! Use a *teflon* pan?" and he was like, "is that bad?" needless to say, he received an education that morning, lol.

I like the one a few posts back where you open the fridge and all you have in there is stuff that needs preparing, not convenience foods. My kids constantly ask for a snack, and all they get is fruit, cheese, jerky, yogurt, etc. (the last 2 homemade, of course!).
#50 of 60 Old 02-05-2008, 06:47 PM

When your current "wants/needs NOW" list includes:
a dehydrator
a food processor(mine broke)

#51 of 60 Old 02-05-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama View Post
Or when you go to the "regular" grocery store and are truly shocked, overwhelmed and flabbergasted at what you see there
.....when we go our "regular" store(not often- for hemp milk and tea-thank god it's organic there) DH has to nudge me so I don't say something to the people in line. He's sees my eyes get all big and my head starts to shake....

.....when DH wants to know when the darn water kefir will be done!

.....when 4 yr old DS politely says "no thank you" to family and friends offering unhealthy treats and proceeds to tell them what we make at home.

.....when my MIL mutters to herself in annoyance about all the canning jars in the fridge and on the counter.

.....when you actually have family members starting to buy and eat the same things you do -i think this is my favorite of all. it has taken years and countless arguments but they are coming around. P.S. we live with my IL's.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#52 of 60 Old 02-05-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
:

Jen
Agreed! I told mine for our anniversary I wanted a larger cast iron and a larger stock pot and to think into the future for a freezer!

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#53 of 60 Old 02-06-2008, 02:12 PM

Ha, I told my DH I needed a big stockpot, and he bought me a really nice one from williams-sonoma for Christmas 2006. I had to reassure him it was ok to buy me something kitchen related since I really did want it, lol.
#54 of 60 Old 02-06-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
Ha, I told my DH I needed a big stockpot, and he bought me a really nice one from williams-sonoma for Christmas 2006. I had to reassure him it was ok to buy me something kitchen related since I really did want it, lol.
Yeah, dh said he felt bad at first getting me something for cooking but he knew I wanted it for a really long time.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#55 of 60 Old 02-06-2008, 10:49 PM

When your husband doesn't even blink twice when he sees a variety of organ meats thawing.

When you use the word 'offal' instead of 'organ meats' in a conversation with people you're introducing to the idea of TF, and your kids know exactly what you're talking about and the other kids in the room are clueless.

When your kids think it's perfectly normal for cats to eat raw meat.

When you go visit your family, and have to show everyone the jars of kefir and kombucha that you expect them to leave on their kitchen counter, undisturbed, because it doesn't need to be dumped.

When you have one kitchen cabinet dedicated to your 'science experiments.'

When guests stare in amazement at the dinner table because your kids eat their greens first, since it's their favorite.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#56 of 60 Old 02-06-2008, 10:54 PM

When you pick up your meat from a guy with a cowboy hat and a big truck at a neighboorhood park instead of, say, Safeway.

You pick up bulk food and household items from a different guy in the Home Depot parking lot(or at "that lady's house")

When you say "I have to feed our tea monster tonight" and the kids understand what that means.

When you encourage the kids to indulge in kefir, because after all, it is your secret weapon against bad munchies

#57 of 60 Old 02-07-2008, 05:56 AM

When you run to the local supermarket because you forgot green onions at Whole Foods and realize that you wouldn't touch 99% of the food in the store.

When you use homemade mayonnaise as a dip.

When you have a 5-minute routine with DH to make a gallon of water kefir every couple of days.

When DH sees the heads and feet floating in the broth and later drinks the soup.

When DH hates eating out because home cooking tastes so much better.

When takeout and TV dinner means you raided your freezer meals for dinner.

When you interview the waitress on the oil they use and cooking methods before ordering.

When you run your own water through the coffee maker at work to make tea.

When you go through 3 dozen eggs a week for 2 people.

When a taco salad represents days of cooking time.
#58 of 60 Old 02-07-2008, 02:23 PM

This is a great thread.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#59 of 60 Old 02-07-2008, 04:36 PM

When you wax poetic over the lovely loaves of handmade, whole grain bread fresh from the oven...and warm with lots of butter slathered all over it :

Try to explain to your mother in law that the crispy chicken skin is the best part, that the bones are saved for stock, all the veg trim is saved for the same thing and YES!!! I do save the chicken fat on top of the stock! Oh and the oatmeal is meant to be left out, soaking overnight!

homemade hummus is perfect, cause you know just what is in it.

that dd is perfectly happy with a sandwich on before mentioned bread, raw cheese and homemade mayo, an orange and veggie sticks for lunch, rather then fast food.

Dh perfers to eat at home because he knows exactly what is in the meals I make.
#60 of 60 Old 02-07-2008, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutS4us View Post
When you wax poetic over the lovely loaves of handmade, whole grain bread fresh from the oven...and warm with lots of butter slathered all over it :

Try to explain to your mother in law that the crispy chicken skin is the best part, that the bones are saved for stock, all the veg trim is saved for the same thing and YES!!! I do save the chicken fat on top of the stock! Oh and the oatmeal is meant to be left out, soaking overnight!

homemade hummus is perfect, cause you know just what is in it.

that dd is perfectly happy with a sandwich on before mentioned bread, raw cheese and homemade mayo, an orange and veggie sticks for lunch, rather then fast food.

Dh perfers to eat at home because he knows exactly what is in the meals I make.
I could use a good hummus recipe....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page