You know you are a TF household when... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 01-31-2008, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your 2 yr old says "I'm making sour dough starter mommy!"

You 2 yr old says she's wants some milk and states she'll get it from her cow and then proceeds to milk her wooden toy cow.

Feel free to add more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 60 Old 01-31-2008, 11:49 PM

Cute thread!

Your toddler announces he wants pickled turnips and kombucha for supper.
Your toddler begs for real homemade yogurt when you try to pass off the store-bought stuff on vacation.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#3 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 12:28 AM

When you have to explain what all those jars on your kitchen counter are to helpful visitors when one almost throws away your sourdough starter, your brewing kefir and your new batch of sauerkraut.
#4 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 12:42 AM

You have a heart attack because your cleaning lady threw away your bacon grease.

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#5 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You have 50 pounds of pink salt in your pantry.
#6 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 02:34 AM

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#7 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 10:36 AM

Your kids oftentimes ask for a slice of butter for a snack. And they're serious. And you give it to them.

Your nine-year-old quotes the house rule, that everyone has to "add fat to your carbs" when Grandma forgets to butter her veggies.

After she says that, your dh sheepishly gets up and goes back to butter his own as well.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#8 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 10:37 AM

Your 5 year old asks for oatmeal and makes sure to ask if it will be ready for breakfast THE NEXT DAY.
#9 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 11:15 AM

You give your kids a spoonful of cod liver oil and they lick their lips and say "yum".

They ask for juice, pointing to the water kefir.

My 5 yr old DD tries to get me to buy a treat by saying "there's no artificial colors, just natural" and "it's ORGANIC mom".
#10 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
Your kids oftentimes ask for a slice of butter for a snack. And they're serious. And you give it to them.

It drives my DH crazy whenever I let our 2 yo eat straight butter. He loves that stuff.

Nursing bras should not double as birth control!
#11 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 03:20 PM

When you never buy milk or eggs at the store.
#12 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 03:21 PM

Your DH says "Are you soaking things AGAIN???"

You think it's great when your 2 year old digs into the butter dish with their fingers.

Your 2 year old is so immune to junk food that when you go into a convenience store and she finds something brightly colored to grab, she bypasses all the candy bars and picks a can of coffee! (And we don't drink coffee, either.)

Your 2 year old's favorite "food" is enzymes. (OK that's not TF but it's food related and very cute...I give DD digestive enzymes for her digestive problems and she begs for them and will get some out of the bottle and open the capsules if she gets a chance.)
#13 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 03:43 PM

Whent the kids beg for kefir, kombucha, and the like.
They think taking CLO and bee pollen is fun. And CAN"T WAIT to take it again the next day- running at you with spoon and pollen in hand.
They love their "brown juice" a green food supplement we get with cocoa powder in it that we stir into milk)

They happily eat fruit and cheese and carrot sticks for snacks.

You remind everyone to butter their food

You remind everyone how expensive their milk is , and to drink it all:

Your kids ask you if they can help make bread.

They tell you when you are out of milk and that daddy has to "go pick some up from that lady's house tonight".

they ask for "carrot soup"(stock with carrots and alphabet noodles).

you catch your kids grabbing a red heart candy sample at IKEA, and remind them to ask mommy first. And they LISTEN.

Your laundry/pantry room is literally taken over by 25 pound bags of beans. And mason jars.

You get giddy when you pick up orders of bulk itmes from co-op drops. And don't mind putting it all away.

You know your rancher.

Your kids know to only get the apples that say O R G A N I C

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#14 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 04:53 PM

Your DH finds your kefir grains in a little mason jar in the fridge and asks, "Do I want to know what this is? Nevermind... I don't. Why can't we eat normal food like everyone else?"

You hardly ever have to throw out the trash because the majority of your food is either produce or comes in little plastic co-op bags.

You're at a baby shower and someone who doesn't know you very well offers your child a bite of their cake and you sprint across the room to throw yourself in front of the forkful of cake to intervene just in time to keep your child from eating it. :

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#15 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 05:06 PM
kpb

When my son runs to the refridgerator, first thing in the pre-caffeine morning, and gets his bee pollen and cod liver oil...and the umbeshi plum paste, too

When my steak and potatoes husband and two year old ask for miso and "du du" (dulse) for a snack......beat that cheap store-bought granola sitting in my snack drawer!

When the cows on the Seven Stars yogurt container aren't just cows anymore, they're nonna and nonno's cows in their backyard

When toddler bypasses my delicious and wholesome yogurt cake for freshly out-of-crock cabbage and beets

my heart putter patters.....
#16 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
Exactly!! And your friends and family think you are going to give your kids heart disease. :
#17 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 05:25 PM

When you find a cup of very stinky sour milk in your 4 yr olds toy refrigerator and she says "don't throw that out mama I'm making yogurt"!
#18 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 05:28 PM

your toddler asks for "his oil" (unflavored HVCLO with BO) and he takes it straight no chaser and says "mmm." He also asks for his "liver snacks" (frozen raw liver bits) and wants several pieces at a time.

I definitely agree with the toddler eating butter comments I eat it for snacks too My 2 yr old also asks for spoons of coconut oil.

Your 2 year old can say kefir and kombucha and tell the difference by taste.

Your husband and best friend choose a restaurant for your moving away dinner based on the advertised "free chicken liver"
#19 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 06:05 PM

We're really new to TF but here's my contribution :

When your 2 yo gets a big bowl out of the cupboard (happened to be the outer bowl of my salad spinner) - I thought he wanted to spin it as he is wont to do so went to help him with it. "No mama" he says and goes to the towel drawer, pulls out a clean towel, and then says "help, mama" as he very carefully covers the bowl with it.

I looked on the counter and I had three bowls of various things soaking with towels over them!
#20 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmom View Post
When you find a cup of very stinky sour milk in your 4 yr olds toy refrigerator and she says "don't throw that out mama I'm making yogurt"!

These are all so funny, but that's my favorite!!

When your 2 yr old begs to have her daily "fishy treats" and mom and dad have to consult with each other lest she gets them multiple times per day. The house rule is that now only daddy gives them to her.

You don't feel guilty letting your child eat butter or lick off the beaters of whipped cream (sweetened with real, local, maple syrup).
#21 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 06:48 PM

... you watch your kids mowing down on duck cracklings as if they're candy

... you're watching the neighbours kids for a day and offer them warm milk after tobagganing and they stare at you with their mouths open bc your milk is in a ginormous glass jar and then are even more dumbfounded when you proceed to heat it gently in a water bath on the stove ("what, you don't even have a microwave, are you kidding?")

... when your kids try the fermented grape cooler and declare that "this must be what that grape pop that I've seen in a can tastes like"

... when you used to be vegan but now open your fridge and it's full of milk, cream, dozens and dozens of eggs, and there's a chicken carcass defrosting on the counter
#22 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

aw... I still have a hard time with those carcasses (former veg too) but i must say they make great stock and gravy!
#23 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama View Post
aw... I still have a hard time with those carcasses (former veg too) but i must say they make great stock and gravy!
I do too

But I try to be as non-emotional about it as possible. Needless to say, the handling time for that chicken I cook is about less than 1 minute

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#24 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthyMamaofDaisy View Post
You're at a baby shower and someone who doesn't know you very well offers your child a bite of their cake and you sprint across the room to throw yourself in front of the forkful of cake to intervene just in time to keep your child from eating it. :
: I've done that. But, I've also saved my children by falling on junk food with my mouth. Run children run!!

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#25 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 08:32 PM

1) When you make room in your pantry for all the coconut oil that you have.

2)When the kids ask for kefir (dairy or juice) all the time that it almost drives
crazy.

3)When you convert recipes you see somewhere (online, magazine, etc.) almost instantly, making them TF friendly.

4)You read labels in the grocery store and the words low-fat seem unhealthy.
#26 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 08:37 PM

Your 3yo asks for "liber crackers" (liver pate), " 'bucha" (kombucha), and "pickle salad" (saurkraut) for lunch.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#27 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 10:40 PM

When you come home and pull into the garage and notice two huge slabs of pork bellies in plastic bags, plus a bag full of pork back fat, laying on the concrete garage floor to keep cold...and you venture on inside the house to find your DH drooling over his new "Charcuterie" book and mumbling excitedly about making homemade bacon! and pancetta! and salted pork!

In that same vein...when your DH calls you in a state of absolute ecstasy from a gourmet foods store because he finally found a supply of hog casings for making homemade sausages.

When you get up in the morning and just can't decide whether to fry your eggs in butter, coconut oil, duck fat, or lard.

When your just-turned-teenage daughter stands in front of the open fridge door, surveying the glass bottles of kombucha and raw milk and buttermilk and kefir, and the containers of duck fat and lard you rendered yourself, and the raw milk cheeses and homemade bacon and leftover roasted beef heart, and the duck carcass waiting to be made into broth, and cartons of chicken broth and beef broth and says, "We have a very abnormal fridge!"

When your kids roll their eyes every time they see a margarine commercial and say, "Yeah, like that fake stuff is really healthy."
#28 of 60 Old 02-01-2008, 11:35 PM

...when one of the first phrases your DD said was "more kelp mama!! more kelp!!!"

...when you're the person all your friends turn to when they get gifts of, say, elk bits from well-meaning relatives.

...when your DD refers to CLO as "yummies"

...when your DD's favourite food is "fish balls" (aka marinated salmon roe)

...when you have a hard time justifying giving the dog ANY "scrap" meat, because you really could use it in a stock

...when you have the phone number for your HFS's egg supplier above your phone because you heard she might sell her laying hens for stew when they're too old

...when your fridge looks like a cross between an agricultural research station's cold storage, a science experiment and a produce cooler.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#29 of 60 Old 02-02-2008, 02:04 AM

When your child can't find a packaged anything to bring to health class to anylyze the nutrition content (class project).

When your little one announces at school that the family drinks lobster juice for breakfast (CLO!).
#30 of 60 Old 02-02-2008, 03:26 AM

when your nursing 3 yo looks up at you and says "Mommy's nursies taste like pastured milk"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page