Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can those in the know tell me if this is a good price for almond flour?

In other unrelated news, we're supposed to get anywhere from 10 to 20 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow. Holy .

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
Can those in the know tell me if this is a good price for almond flour?

In other unrelated news, we're supposed to get anywhere from 10 to 20 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow. Holy .
i think we just got that amount of rain. last night it was 65F and we're expecting a plunge down to 40F some time tonight. screwy climate.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 02-05-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
i ordered some last year from wilderness family naturals. it hadn't been available for a while so i ordered a lot (3 x 5lb ?). i'm working on bag #2 now. the thing with coconut flour is that you use more eggs (lots lots lots more eggs) than flour. for example, a normal loaf would use about 6-8 eggs and only 1/4 to 1/3 c. of flour.

Holy COW!! you mean that ONE loaf of bread, or ONE pan of brownies, or ONE batch of pancakes would use that many eggs? not sure I can afford that, either in the $$ for the alternative flour, or the amount of eggs. I guess I'll still check out that cookbook, but maybe just have to learn to be happily grain-free.

I am really struggling right now. I just want to eat something sweet: not sweet like candy bar-sweet. Sweet like a pancake sweet. or a slice of sourdough bread with butter. I don't know why I am struggling so much. When I was grain-free in the past, I didn't miss it that much. Once I got past the first week or so, it didn't really bother me.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
i ordered some last year from wilderness family naturals. it hadn't been available for a while so i ordered a lot (3 x 5lb ?). i'm working on bag #2 now. the thing with coconut flour is that you use more eggs (lots lots lots more eggs) than flour. for example, a normal loaf would use about 6-8 eggs and only 1/4 to 1/3 c. of flour.

Good to know, I have been searching for coconut flour....

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
Holy COW!! you mean that ONE loaf of bread, or ONE pan of brownies, or ONE batch of pancakes would use that many eggs? not sure I can afford that, either in the $$ for the alternative flour, or the amount of eggs. I guess I'll still check out that cookbook, but maybe just have to learn to be happily grain-free.

I am really struggling right now. I just want to eat something sweet: not sweet like candy bar-sweet. Sweet like a pancake sweet. or a slice of sourdough bread with butter. I don't know why I am struggling so much. When I was grain-free in the past, I didn't miss it that much. Once I got past the first week or so, it didn't really bother me.
dunno about the brownies... my cookies use well, they're different every time so it has varied, from 1 egg (with just nut butter - look up flourless peanut butter cookies) to 3 or 4 eggs if i use coconut flour (or 2 eggs + those 3 egg whites left over from ice cream). pancakes use 4 eggs when i use nut butter as the base (without coconut flour). replacing one egg in the pancake with a scoop of pureed fruit stretches the eggs out a bit.

what about instead... soaking your walnuts, then rinsing and mixing with 1 Tbsp or 2 of maple syrup and then dehydrating... this is the only way ds will eat walnuts. or if you're looking for something decadent... take a pitted date, stuff in a walnut and (optionally) dunk in melted chocolate (we use bittersweet though unsweetened would prolly work too).

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 02-05-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
You can still do waffles, pancakes, muffins, bread etc. using nut butter and flour instead of grains. We make a cinnamon pecan muffin that is PHENOMENAL, from Grain Free Gourmet. Everybody adores them!

I also make bread from almond flour and have even made french toast with it.

Grain Free Gourmet also has GREAT egg recipes-there is one for apple pancakes that I adapted and we love. It's just eggs, apples, cinnamon, honey and almond butter.

Also check out www.pecanbread.com and www.SCDrecipes.com for great ideas in grain free baking.
hi firefaery, how do you make bread from nut flour? i would love to try and make that. thanks.

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
Old 02-05-2008, 08:50 PM

Gardenmommy, the coconut flour does take a lot of eggs. I have a blueberry muffin recipe that calls for 6 eggs and 3/4 cup of flour. And you can't stint on the eggs either, I've tried with unpalatable results.

I have a question for all of you using nut flours to make things. My understanding was that nuts, even soaked, sprouted etc place a tremendous load on the digestive system as well as being a major source of polyunsaturates. And yet I'm seeing lots of diets, SCD & GAPS for example, which advocate a lot of nutflours. Anyone care to jump in with their experience on this?
Old 02-05-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
hi firefaery, how do you make bread from nut flour? i would love to try and make that. thanks.
If you follow those links there are tons of recipes! Also, just google SCD bread and you'll find more than you know what to do with.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Gardenmommy, the coconut flour does take a lot of eggs. I have a blueberry muffin recipe that calls for 6 eggs and 3/4 cup of flour. And you can't stint on the eggs either, I've tried with unpalatable results.

I have a question for all of you using nut flours to make things. My understanding was that nuts, even soaked, sprouted etc place a tremendous load on the digestive system as well as being a major source of polyunsaturates. And yet I'm seeing lots of diets, SCD & GAPS for example, which advocate a lot of nutflours. Anyone care to jump in with their experience on this?
It's an interesting point. I had no issues first time round with nut flours. I ate bread, muffins, pancakes, tortes etc. all day long with no problem. In fact, I lost a ton of weight (that I needed to lose.) I felt better than I had in years so I assumed I was fine.

Now I am eating very differently. I feel better than I did on SCD in fact. However my kiddos are still eating pretty SCD. I make muffins and breads for them from nut flour. I have tasted the results on a couple of occasions and suffered for it. It wasn't awful, by any means, but it was clear that it wasn't a great choice.

I guess it's no different from the first time around, but what I *noticed* was the improvement-KWIM? I was at ground zero when I started it in terms of my symptoms so I was thrilled that I was moving up the scale so to speak. I now realize that I may have had better results without the nuts.

You are right, and that's what many of us have found here. Nuts, even soaked and sprouted aren't really contributing to health. They may not be actively harming everyone, but I wonder if they are assisting healing either.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:38 PM

I recently make almond flour (and almond butter) pancakes and they did not bother me nearly as much as nuts normally do. I normally eat soaked nuts raw so would cooking them help??

(I did soak, dehydrate and grind the almonds for the flour)
Old 02-05-2008, 11:43 PM

Hi, I've been reading these threads for a while now. I keep thinking about trying to go grain-free and have tried it briefly a few times, but it's certainly not easy. We are already avoiding so many foods that it seems if we cut out rice and starchy vegetables there wouldn't be much left.

We all have had multiple digestive and health issues, as do both of my siblings and my parents.

My sister is gluten intolerant, and DH has a niece and a great-nephew with celiac disease. Baby E and I have both been tested for celiac disease and were negative (I had blood tests and she had an upper GI scope and biopsy). My siblings and I all have wierd autoimmune disorders, chronic fatigue, digestive problems, etc. My mom is a kidney transplant recipient due to a hereditary kidney disease (kidney failure with no other symptoms). Mom was exposed to DES in utero. We have all had horrible female/hormonal issues.

DH is significantly overweight and has frequent indigestion, recurrent fungal issues, and general mediocre health. I struggle with being underweight and have been diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and IBS, among other things. My kids have digestive issues too. The two older girls and I are dairy-intolerant, AJ and I to the extent that we don't seem to tolerate even butter well. M&M does ok with small amounts of low-lactose dairy products, and Baby E has only really ever eaten butter and cultured dairy products, but seems to do well with those. I'm in the process of weaning Baby E, very much against her will, but I've felt it was what I needed to do for my own health and sanity at this point.

Baby E loves meat and eats more of it than just about anything else. She self-limits most grains and can't tolerate most fruits or much of anything sweet (we think she has a sugar intolerance, possibly dietary fructose intolerance). She is on reflux medicine (Zant@c) and we have to thicken her beverages so she doesn't aspirate (we use tapioca starch for thickening). She recently grew out of a number of severe food allergies and intolerances, and we no longer have to completely avoid all corn and soy derivatives. The allergist recommends that we continue avoiding nuts/peanuts and fish/shellfish for at least another year or two.

M&M hates meat and would subsist solely on grains and fruit if she had the choice. She has had problems with soy in the past--we don't really use it now anyway.

AJ will eat just about anything, but is very conscientious about limiting dairy for herself. Right now she's decided to try limiting gluten as well to see if that helps her stomach issues. She also recently started taking Zant@c, but it doesn't seem to be helping a ton.

I cannot tolerate coconut, palm oil, avocado or blackberry leaves, in addition to dairy products and all my environmental allergies and several allergies to medications. I'm pretty sure I'm at least mildly gluten intolerant, and I don't do well with refined sugars or any kind of refined grains. Problems with legumes and nightshades seem to run in the family, too, so I tend to try to limit those although we do eat them.

We get almost all of our meat farm-raised and grassfed with no hormones or antibiotics from local farmers. Other foods we try to get as unprocessed and organic as we can. I had a sourdough starter going for a while, and Baby E and I enjoyed that but the rest of the family wouldn't eat it much. I have worked a bit with soaked grains, but it is harder to cook that way (requires more planning ahead!) and I don't have easy resources for getting many alternative whole grains nearby. DH cooks white rice when he cooks, but I try to use whole grains as much as possible.

With our dietary restrictions, I don't even know if we could really go grain-free. No dairy, no nuts/peanuts, no fish/shellfish, no coconut, palm, avocado, etc. ? I already know that I can't maintain my weight on a diet of mostly meat, flaxseed oil and green vegetables--BTDT and dropped to 97 lbs before I was able to gain weight again by adding more grains and sugars, but then felt worse in other ways .

Today I have been feeding the kids grain-free so far. We had cooked ground beef, scrambled eggs, and artichoke hearts for breakfast. Baby E and M&M also had plain yogurt with a tiny amount of maple syrup added. Nobody but me did more than taste the artichoke hearts, although the kids usually like steamed whole artichokes. M&M refused to eat more than a couple of bites of the meat, saying she doesn't like meat.

For lunch we had cooked chicken, green peas with broccoli, a little bit of leftover mixed-vegetable/chicken stir fry, and the 4 of us split half a small cantalope.

M&M got a horrible stomachache immediately after breakfast that lasted until after lunch. She hardly ate any lunch--she ate the cantalope and tasted the other foods, complained about being served chicken, and begged for bread or cereal. Now she claims to be starving but has vetoed my suggestions (raw carrot, leftover chicken, peas and broccoli). She keeps begging for things like crackers and toast.

For dinner I'm thinking about cooking up a lamb heart and supplementing that with the rest of the pound of ground beef I cooked for breakfast, and then doing a stir-fry with broccoli and bell peppers. I'm not sure what else to serve along with that--I don't have salad makings in the house, but I do have a couple of zucchini I could cut up.

I expect M&M again will eat very little of what I serve, and I don't know what she'll do if she doesn't have grains and fruit to fill up on. She's tiny for her age as it is, and can't afford to lose weight. (Baby E is the biggest for her age at right around 50th percentile--the other 2 kids fluctuate between 5th and 15th percentile.)

AJ, on the other hand, seems to be feeling great and had more of an appetite at lunch today than she has had for quite some time. Baby E will be happy as long as there's meat on the menu. DH will probably eat whatever I serve and then fill up later on bread or cold cereal or something like that.

Is it possible that AJ and possibly Baby E may do well on a grain-free diet, but M&M won't? Can we even really DO grain-free with our dietary restrictions?

Is there any hope that we might be able to find a basic diet that would agree with everyone in the house?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:49 PM

Forgot to say that I've had chronic pain and health issues since age 6, when I suffered a neck injury. I was on antibiotics as a kid a lot for things like ear infections and strep throat, culminating with a course of extremely strong antibiotics around age 17-18 "just in case" I had Lyme disease, since I had an insect bite that turned into a huge bull's-eye (the doctor didn't actually test me for Lyme disease, just treated me for it).

By the time I was in my early 20s I was so tired and sick I could hardly walk. That's when I was finally diagnosed with FMS/CFS/IBS/etc. and the MDs said there was nothing they could do for me. A nauturopath was able to help me a ton with various therapies, including Bowen treaments, electrocurrent therapy, treatments for Candida and bacterial infections, dietary changes, etc. That made a huge difference for me. I've still had problems since then, but things have been much much better.

Sometimes I feel ungrateful complaining about moderate pain and fatigue when I'm so much better than I used to be, but I just want all of us to be really WELL, you know?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:11 AM

Ladies, I have a question and it has probably been asked before...why is my weight stalling? I was losing weight like mad and now it is just stuck or else going up a pound or 2 some days. I haven't changed anything. Still grain free, occassionally some rice or potato. I don't get it. Any ideas?

I basically follow a raw vegan diet, however, I supplement with raw eggs and undercooked beef and raw goat cheese and raw fish. I do, as a result of following the diet like this eat a substantial amount of nuts. However, I don't understand why I am just now at a standstill. I also have been having issues with constipation. Argh! I just want to be able to have a normal food life like everyone else...whatever that means.

Jamie

p.s. purple_kangaroo ...I wish I could offer you some advice as it seems as though you have tons on your plate, but I am still learning from these wise women myself. I hope you get the advice you need.

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
Old 02-06-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
There are MANY signs. Pale lips, depression, exhaustion, poor sleep, poor dream recall...the list goes on. The B spectrum is VERY important.
HOw do you test for this? In a child, I mean? This describes my son almost to a tee. How do you fix it? B vitamins? OR would a multi work? This parenting thing on top of food issues for them and me is exhausting! Oh yeah and somehow I gotta run this household, homeschool, work (a little), etc, etc, etc.

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
Old 02-06-2008, 12:21 AM

Purple kangaroo, your daughter that doesn't eat meat and craves crackers and bread products sounds like my son. He won't touch meat except hot dogs and chicken nuggets, which he can't have right now. Anyway, what that child lives on is "smoothie" (key ingredient-- raw egg yolk) and fried eggs. Seriously, it's pretty much all he eats. Sometimes I make him banana + egg pancakes for a treat, and every once in a whil he's in the mood for a lacto-fermented pickle, but that's it. I offer him other food all the time but he's not interested. And he is thriving since we started him on this new diet.

One thing I have learned is that you don't need lots of different things to eat. Yeah, it's kind of hard to get used to at first, bu then it becomes-- well-- not as hard as you thought it would be, I guess. If you think about, for centuries people lived off of pretty simple foods all the time. What was for dinner? Soup. Again. Or fish and oatmeal. Again. I mean they ate really simple fare and the same stuff all the time. So if your family finds just a few foods that are really nourishing and that you can live off of, then I think you can do it.

Now, we are doing the SCD, but we are dairy and nut free. The only jump from where we are to where you would be would be to go coconut free and avocado free, but I rarely eat avocados anyway so that wouldn't be missed, just giving up coconut oil would be hard. You would need ot find some good alternatives for saturated fat sources (maybe pure unadulterated lard if you can get it?) but other than that, if I can do it you can do it too! Not to say that it isn't hard-- but it is so worth it!

My son used to be so addicted to breads and crackers and grain products, and anything sweet. He wouldn't hardly eat anything else. He had dropped down from the 110 percentile in height (when he was born) to the 25th percentile in height (when he was 3 years old.) Since starting the diet, he grew back up to average height (at least) and went through THREE clothing sizes. This in just a few months. Plus, he was always so skinny and pale. Now he has muscle and fat on his body-- just like a little three-year-old ought to have! Yayyy! And he made HUGE developmental leaps since changing his diet, too. At age 2.5, he was "behind" in his speech, barely putting two words together-- and this from a boy who started talking, I mean saying different words and stuff, at three/four months old. Well, now at 3.5 he talks like a 5yo, at least. He is not perfectly healthy yet, not by a long shot, but when I get frustrated I just think of how far we've come, and IT HAS BEEN SO WORTH IT!!! :

I hope you get more helpful tips and advice that you can apply to help your family.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 02-06-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie79 View Post
Ladies, I have a question and it has probably been asked before...why is my weight stalling? I was losing weight like mad and now it is just stuck or else going up a pound or 2 some days. I haven't changed anything. Still grain free, occassionally some rice or potato. I don't get it. Any ideas?

I basically follow a raw vegan diet, however, I supplement with raw eggs and undercooked beef and raw goat cheese and raw fish. I do, as a result of following the diet like this eat a substantial amount of nuts. However, I don't understand why I am just now at a standstill. I also have been having issues with constipation. Argh! I just want to be able to have a normal food life like everyone else...whatever that means.

Jamie

p.s. purple_kangaroo ...I wish I could offer you some advice as it seems as though you have tons on your plate, but I am still learning from these wise women myself. I hope you get the advice you need.

Jamie-
Our bodies are infinitely intelligent. All of our toxins are stored in our fat. When you lose weight rapidly you are releasing those toxins into your bloodstream where they can and do circulate. This is very damaging in many ways and taxes the liver greatly. A plateau is often a body's way of saying "enough toxins!" You will stabilize to clear toxins and lose again when it is safe to do so.

There *could* be other things going on, but that is my first offering.

When did the constipation begin?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie79 View Post
HOw do you test for this? In a child, I mean? This describes my son almost to a tee. How do you fix it? B vitamins? OR would a multi work? This parenting thing on top of food issues for them and me is exhausting! Oh yeah and somehow I gotta run this household, homeschool, work (a little), etc, etc, etc.
You can do a pretty standard blood test. I would fix it either with liver or a B supplement independent of a multi.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:23 AM

Purple Kangaroo...it's okay. You're home here. We live off a very small amount of foods quite happily. For the most part in my house we are dairy, grain, gluten, shellfish, tomato, pepper, eggplant, spinach, pineapple, soy, legume etc. free. Now, it's really not helpful to talk about what we CAN'T eat, so why don't we start by talking about what you CAN eat? I think you can definitely find enough crossover that you can all eat the same meals. Even if small things like condiments need to be different.

As LTB stated, it can absolutely be done. Not only can it be done, but you will be shocked at how amazing you feel once you lose problem foods and replace them with nourishing foods. Your entire family can start to heal together. It's such a gift!

There is literally nothing that you talked about that cannot be healed. You are already on a great path and you are willing to go further which is the key.

I will echo too, that my dd was off the charts tiny and diagnosed FTT. Eliminating her major issues and doing a healing diet (we did the SCD) not only put her back on the charts, but had her thriving in no time. Ds wasn't in that bad of shape, but even he got better.

I had an autoimmune disease and related issues and I am SO much better!

I have several other thoughts...but I'll let all these magnificently brilliant ladies chime in!
Old 02-06-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Jamie-
Our bodies are infinitely intelligent. All of our toxins are stored in our fat. When you lose weight rapidly you are releasing those toxins into your bloodstream where they can and do circulate. This is very damaging in many ways and taxes the liver greatly. A plateau is often a body's way of saying "enough toxins!" You will stabilize to clear toxins and lose again when it is safe to do so.

There *could* be other things going on, but that is my first offering.

When did the constipation begin?
Hmmm, I wish I knew. Maybe the past couple of weeks? I know I need to be doing my juicing more regularly. I have been sliding a bit on that and using the greens powder more.

In regards to the question about the B vites (sorry I still can't figure out how to multi-quote)...would you say that the B vites in addition to a multi or just the B vites? He is a pretty healthy eater, however like most kids craves the carbs and gets them at his grandma's house. I think I will take an inventory of his food intake for a few days and see what I come up with and just put my foot down with grandma. It is so frustrating with that.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:31 AM

Do some more juicing, and try to up the raw fats as much as you can. Eggs, fish, coconut oil, raw butter (if you can) meat etc. are great sources.

I know for me what normalized my bowel function was actually taking out the fiber and increasing the fats. Don't know if that is helpful...

You could also take some NaturalCalm. That would get things moving. Doesn't address the underlying cause, but it does provide some relief while you look for it.

In terms of B's...I don't recommend a multi period. But I'm not telling you what to do either. I would say B's should be given alone in a full spectrum unless you can test and alleviate the imbalances specifically. HTH.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:08 AM

Quote:
You are right, and that's what many of us have found here. Nuts, even soaked and sprouted aren't really contributing to health. They may not be actively harming everyone, but I wonder if they are assisting healing either.
So do you have any ideas as to why diets like SCD and GAPS are not only being put forward as healing diets but that people are reporting very favorable results and marked improvements even. I find it curious since a lot of folks on these particular diets have extremely sensitive digestive systems and are often dealing with a complexity of issues.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:31 AM

Hi everyone. I guess we belong here too!

We have been totally grain-free for one month as I am trying to help my dd and myself with some pretty serious digestive issues and she also has fairly severe eczema that appeared last summer, around the same time the GI distress started. She was IgG tested and reacted strongly to all gluten grains, eggs, dairy and some other random stuff.

We've been doing the SCD officially for one month and were pretty limited for a while before that, just rice and some millet for grains.

She is doing so much better, and so am I but we both still have a ways to go. I think we are relying too much on nuts and dried fruit (I know, I know, they are advanced, but I was having trouble getting her to eat meat and veggies all day long. Plus I was starving and cannot afford to lose any weight.)

I think I've read most of these threads and they are immensely helpful. I am wondering, though, should I expect some normalization in BMs by now? We are taking Houston's enzymes which help a lot, but I am still waiting for things to, um . . . firm up.

I am guessing that we have some bacterial or yeast problems but I can't afford to get us tested right now so I'm kind of shooting in the dark. We are doing coconut yogurt and probiotic capsules, CLO, EPO, B vitamins, Vit C, L-Glutamine, MSM, NAG, chlorella and I am also taking Oregon Grape root to help with bacteria. Probably other stuff I am forgetting too.

Anyway, you have all been so helpful through this (especially Firefaery who has been so kind to offer her wisdom) and I am glad to see this thread! It's pretty hard to do the SCD without dairy or eggs but it's great to have support around.

So, that's me outed from lurkdom!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:10 AM

Sorry to be so behind here, but I thought I'd chime in on the coconut flour. I bought some from WFN, and it was OK, but it was a bit course, and I was only kind of pleased with the baked goods it produced (maybe I'm just too picky ). Then I tried the coconut flour from Tropical Traditions. I like it a lot better. It is a finer grind, and I like the resulting baked goods better. Just thought I'd share the experience of a picky baker.

In terms of cost, just keep in mind that you use a fairly small amount in a recipe (1 cup - 3.85 oz. - in 2 doz. muffins). And we don't eat these baked goods regularly. We use them more as special treats. Well, ds eats a muffin most mornings, but dh and I don't eat them often. It's a way to get more fat into ds, and it helps him feel less restricted in his diet. Also, TT often has sales where they sell 2 bags of flour for the price of 1.

I do think this is a good way to have baked goods in a grain-free diet (if that's what you're looking for). It helps dh and ds to not cheat, which is very important for *them* (I know some of you are OK with the occasional cheat, and I'm not wanting to suggest that *no one* should cheat). And it helps ds feel less like he's just a total weirdo (he already has diabetes and has to wear glasses).

Of course baking with nut butters works well, too. But since ds can only tolerate pecans, macadamias, pine nuts, and brazil nuts (which really only work for savory things), coconut flour is a lot cheaper for me. Before I found it, I made a pine nut birthday cake for ds, and OH MY that was one expensive birthday party!

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:27 AM

Question about B vits. I keep hearing that liver is a good source for B vits., and that raw is better because they are easily destroyed by heat. Is this right? I'm curious why the USDA numbers (not all, but many) would be higher for cooked liver than for raw. Does anyone know? Also, some of the B vits don't seem particularly high. Do we just need small amounts? Or are they just a lot more available from liver?

Please pardon these ignorant questions.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:40 AM

Well, I got dinner cooking and then went upstairs to take a shower when DH got home. He gave the kids the stir-fry I made with meat and vegetables (I specifically told him not to add rice to it), and also gave them the leftover white rice and tater tots he'd made this weekend.

AJ chose not to eat the rice, though. I was starving even after eating a big serving of meat and vegetables, and ended up eating chocolate chips after dinner. Now I'm having lovely reflux, indigestion and diarrhea.

Thanks for the thoughts and advice everyone shared . . . I appreciate it.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:25 PM

This is probably OT, but I think my eyes have changed color. I've always had light-brown-colored eyes. Sort of yellow-ish brown. Not very pretty; I always wished my eyes were just a "regular" dark brown.

I just noticed last night that my eyes look darker and not yellow anymore. Not a dark dark brown, but more a "normal" looking brown. I know they were the "old" color as late as last fall.

I think I remember a discussion of this somewhere on MDC, and that it's connected to a change in nutrition/diet/health. (I also did a quick Google search and everyone else seems to say it's genetics, but I think it's more than that.)

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, lol?

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:59 PM

new mama - that eye color change thing sounds pretty cool.

firefaery - you are helping people on every thread i see you on! beautiful!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:48 PM

NewMama, my eye color changes with big emotional changes, I know . . . like when my grandfather died I noticed after a few days that my eyes had gone a very dark greenish-blue, instead of their normal light blue mixed with gold. It certainly seems possible that nutrition could affect it.

I know that premature gray hair runs in my family, but my hair will turn from brown to white to brown again along the shaft of one hair, so I'm pretty sure there have to be nutritional or other factors besides just heredity at work.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB View Post
Question about B vits. I keep hearing that liver is a good source for B vits., and that raw is better because they are easily destroyed by heat. Is this right? I'm curious why the USDA numbers (not all, but many) would be higher for cooked liver than for raw. Does anyone know? Also, some of the B vits don't seem particularly high. Do we just need small amounts? Or are they just a lot more available from liver?

Please pardon these ignorant questions.
I'm not sure why the numbers would be different. Honestly Gale Force is probably the best person to ask about that.

We definitely have different needs for the different B's...you wouldn't want to for instance take the same amount of folate as you would biotin or B-12. Not that it's easy to become toxic, because it's not since they are water soluble. However your body doesn't have the same requirements for each. You do need to have a balance.

I am of the opinion that most nutrients will be far more bioavailable almost always from food. It just makes sense. However, in the face of a deficit I don't rely on food sources alone.

I have always learned that raw liver was a better source. Again, GF is kinda the "local" to MDC authority. She wrote a book on curing depression naturally and did ALOT of research about this very topic. I defer to her on the liver issues!

They aren't ignorant at all!

User Tag List