FEB '08 GRAIN-FREE Traditional Diets Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 267 Old 02-16-2008, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
Thanks guys! It's not until Monday, but I took some "me" time today to go thrift store shopping.

I'm really trying to be careful of what I eat and I'm in a good groove right now, so I think DH is going to make a cake for him, my stepdaughter and our son so they can sing to me and have me blow out candles. I told him I was fine with that and I would just not have any. I really don't even crave it anyway. But I will send the rest of it home with my stepdaughter or to work with DH.
Search some raw recipes. I make a banana cream pie, cheesecake, chocolate torte etc. that are all grain free and have either honey or dates to sweeten. They are awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 267 Old 02-17-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Search some raw recipes. I make a banana cream pie, cheesecake, chocolate torte etc. that are all grain free and have either honey or dates to sweeten. They are awesome!
Oh, I know the recipes are out there. But I'm trying to lose some weight and I'm on a good roll with that now. I'm afraid if I had a piece of a yummy dessert, even if it's healthy, I would start sliding down that slippery slope. After I lose the weight I'll be on board with trying some of those desserts out.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#183 of 267 Old 02-17-2008, 02:17 AM

You can use ground up veggies instead of crumbs in meatloaf. Makes it nice and juicy and flavorful! I posted a recipe for this earlier (might be in last month's thread, I'm not sure).

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#184 of 267 Old 02-17-2008, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilamama View Post
any recipes for nut butter bread here? the one on pecan bread calls for mayonaise (i think they mean soy oil) and seltzer (i dont have any).
#185 of 267 Old 02-17-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
wow, this is really cool! I was just studying the Word of Wisdom again (LDS/mormon teaching on what is best to eat/not eat) and I just realized I've been misinterpreting part of it for years! It says the Lord intended people to be mostly grain-free! How did I miss this?! It's so obvious to me now!

It says: "All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all the wild animals that run or creep on the earth; and these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger." (D&C 89:14,15)

I used to think he was saying that the wild animals were only to be eaten during times of famine! It didn't even occur to me that it meant grains! Wow!!!

So cool.

It makes me feel much better about being grain-free.
As a Jew, I find encouragement in this:

G-D told Adam and Eve to eat fruits/ veggies and told Noah to eat meat but bread was part of adam's curse. "by the sweat of your brow will you eat bread."
#186 of 267 Old 02-17-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Oops, that wasn't hte quote I wanted!!!!

Google SCD + bread and you'll get a ton. I never put mayo in any of the ones I made!
#187 of 267 Old 02-17-2008, 01:49 PM

very interesting as to the religious talk re: grains. I am Catholic and a bit of a problem I have been having is the gluten in the Host. Low gluten hosts can be obtained but it will be quite an ordeal to go through that for some suspicions. I have thought about just taking the wine to give me a chance to do a clear challenge- of course there is contamination issues.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#188 of 267 Old 02-17-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
As a Jew, I find encouragement in this:

G-D told Adam and Eve to eat fruits/ veggies and told Noah to eat meat but bread was part of adam's curse. "by the sweat of your brow will you eat bread."
That's really interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
very interesting as to the religious talk re: grains. I am Catholic and a bit of a problem I have been having is the gluten in the Host. Low gluten hosts can be obtained but it will be quite an ordeal to go through that for some suspicions. I have thought about just taking the wine to give me a chance to do a clear challenge- of course there is contamination issues.
Yeah, we pass the communion, too. I just skip the bread portion. I don't know what else I could do, really.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#189 of 267 Old 02-19-2008, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Where did everyone go? Do none of us have grain-free questions anymore?

I had a minor oops the other day when we went to a seafood restaurant. I ordered a salad, just intending to put oil on it, but I was chatting with my husband and put vinegar on it, too. Most vinegar has wheat in it. I didn't notice any ill effects from it with me or my nursling.

It is quite frustrating when little mistakes come into my diet like that. When I first started my low-carb diet in '03, I decided to order a coffee from Starbucks. I asked for it to be iced because it was in the middle of the summer (and I specifically said that I wanted just plain coffee without anything in it). I didn't have any until I was back in my car on my way home. Then I took a gigantic swallow and realized that it was sweetened. At that time I was still having blood sugar issues and I checked my blood sugar and it skyrocketed.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#190 of 267 Old 02-19-2008, 04:13 PM

Hello ladies. Haven't been around for a while. Just figured I'd pop my head in and say hi!

I'm still going fairly strong... although I had a moment of weakness yesterday and had to have my DH talk me out of eating a sourdough roll. He's so cute. I come to him and say "I want this bread" and he'll ask "how do you want me to respond?" So I tell him "talk me out of it". So he does. I did take a bite of his, but I figure that's a lot better than eating the whole thing myself.

I've been working on trying lots of new recipes. A couple new ones each week, at least. We had peanut chicken (wings) the other night, and apricot chicken (legs) last night. Both were fabulous. It makes it so much easier when I can find a recipe that only requires minor or zero tweaks.

I did pick up a couple bunches of asparagus this weekend. For 99 cents/lb, I couldn't pass it up (it's usually $4/lb around here). So we'll have a chicken stir fry with asparagus probably tomorrow. Tonight i think will be lamb steaks with mint honey and brussel sprouts.

As for desserts, mostly I stick with honey ice cream, cheesecake or custards. All very easy to make without sugar or grains. The cheesecake i've been making in custard dishes, so we have some semblance of portion control... DH and I split one custard dish. And I make them different flavors... pomegranate, lemon and blueberry are the most recent batch.

Meatloaf or meatballs I make with parmesan cheese as the binder instead of grains. I also tend to use less egg rather than more because the egg makes it too gloopy.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#191 of 267 Old 02-19-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Meatloaf or meatballs I make with parmesan cheese as the binder instead of grains. I also tend to use less egg rather than more because the egg makes it too gloopy.

I've had good success making meatballs (egg-free/grain-free) with a pureed onion, garlic, and tomato paste as the binder. They seem to hold together really well, in case anyone is interested. I haven't tried it for meatloaf though.
#192 of 267 Old 02-19-2008, 08:25 PM

Is anyone taking in any PUFAs at all? I'd be curious to see the breakdown of fat intake by type in everyone's daily fare.
#193 of 267 Old 02-19-2008, 08:43 PM

I eat the least amount I possibly can! I aim for no PUFA's. Of course, you're going to get *some* but I actively try to avoid it.
#194 of 267 Old 02-19-2008, 10:06 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't know a PUFA if it bit me.

The only fats I keep in the house are butter, coconut oil, olive oil, walnut oil (for my salads), sesame oil (for stir-frys), and various animal fats (pork, chicken, duck, goose mostly). I do still have a partial bottle of safflower that I've used for frying, because for whatever reason I can't find a non-corn, non-soy, non-canola oil at the store (unless I want a gallon of peanut, which I don't).

Most of my daily intake of fat comes from eggs, dairy (cheese and butter mostly), and meat. If I'm roasting or stir-frying veggies, I'll use oil or fat, but I only do that a couple times a week.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#195 of 267 Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't know a PUFA if it bit me.
:
#196 of 267 Old 02-19-2008, 10:30 PM
EMS

What about fish? Or clo? Aren't those PUFA? And how about flaxseed?

www.thegoldenpapaya.com
Raising Three Boys in Brazil ::
#197 of 267 Old 02-19-2008, 10:54 PM

Yes. I have read some very interesting things that were pretty darned convincing relating inflammation to PUFA consumption. Ray Peat has alot of info on this. He maintains that the body can synthesize omega 3 fatty acids perfectly fine in the absence of PUFA's. I had already cut flax seed, don't do flax oil, don't do much olive oil, no nuts or seeds really but I do occasionally eat fish. So I'm doing my best to minimize at this point and see if it makes a difference in the inflammatory response.

http://raypeat.com/articles/

He has gone to war with Mary Enig before. I have read the literature and honestly think I just need to experiment. I'm not sure who's right, but this guy makes some sense.

here's Enig's rebuttal:
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...tyaciddef.html
#198 of 267 Old 02-19-2008, 11:24 PM

I eat PUFAs from nuts, fish, cod liver oils, my Omega 3-6-9 oil, and other foods like poultry. Here's my total fat count from one of my fitday.com entries:

Fat: 65% of calories

Sat: 18%
Poly: 23%
Mono: 19%

For this day, poly happened to be the highest, but it seems to average out pretty equally between all three. I don't think relying on one type or excluding others is such a good idea.
#199 of 267 Old 02-20-2008, 12:04 AM

FF, who is Ray Peat? I'm intrigued, but I've never heard of him before.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#200 of 267 Old 02-20-2008, 12:06 AM
nym

I have been doing pretty well with the no grain thing. I see some are not eating beans and legumes too.. is there a reason grain wise for this? I am eating some beans and legumes, I love lentil soup with tons of veggies in it..

I find I am missing something to crunch on at night.. any ideas?
#201 of 267 Old 02-20-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
http://raypeat.com/articles/

...I'm not sure who's right, but this guy makes some sense.
Ray Peat helped me TREMENDOUSLY. In 2006 I started suffering from absolutely debilitating menstrual cramps on the first day of my period. It was so bad that I honestly could not function for a whole day and I would need to down 6 ibuprofen at a time just to take the edge off. It was a total nightmare. I found Ray Peat's website and he mentioned in one of his articles that he noticed when he moved to Oregon that many female students and faculty would develop terrible menstrual symptoms after spending a winter there. He started doing some research and finally linked it to the lack of sunlight in the NW; it wasn't vitamin D deficiency, it was actually a disruption in the chain of metabolic events linked to photoreactive processes that start when sunlight hits the skin. A lightbulb went off in my head, because my own symptoms had started the winter I moved to Seattle. I started going out in the sun every day for a month and my cramps utterly disappeared. They literally vanished. I feel like it saved my life. So I am inclined to give Mr. Peat the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
I have been doing pretty well with the no grain thing. I see some are not eating beans and legumes too.. is there a reason grain wise for this? I am eating some beans and legumes, I love lentil soup with tons of veggies in it..

Legumes have lectins and antinutrients that can be almost as harmful as some of the bad stuff found in grains. Googling lectins can get you started if you want to read about it.

As for the crunch, what kind of crunch are you looking for? You can make some decent crackers using nuts or flax seeds, or you can munch on veggie sticks. A really nice crunchy veggie is raw jicama. I like it tossed with lime juice and sometimes a pinch of chili powder.

#202 of 267 Old 02-20-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz_libbie22 View Post
I don't think relying on one type or excluding others is such a good idea.
I guess that depends on how you look at things. A hunter gatherer diet would have very little PUFA's, but I wouldn't guess they tried to exclude them.

More and more I am shying away from foods that wouldn't have been consumed pre-agriculturally simply because through research it's seems smartest, and oddly enough I feel better doing so. Flax seeds, flax oil, cod liver oil, seeds and nuts would not have been consumed often if at all in most cases.

Again, I'm not saying I'd register "0" on fitday or whatever, but I certainly seek to minimize my exposure.
#203 of 267 Old 02-20-2008, 02:22 PM

Total newbie/lurker. Did a search and came up with this thread/earlier versions and learned a some. At a point in my life where a little bit of understanding might be helpful, seems no one around has any sort of dietary restrictions. I'm 27 years old and 20w pregnant with my second child. Great hubby with a gut of steel, but my 16m DD ends up ear infections every time we introduce wheat/gluten. Been sick and in pain all my life, but thought it was normal. Often, I would go days without eating to make the pain go away. After getting married, my hubby would make me whole wheat sandwiches every day for lunch because it was healthy. Of course, that made things worse, I refer to it as "the poisoning". I suffered serious neurological problems and depression from it, in addition to tummy pain. I've been gluten free since 2005 and currently attempting SCD after marked weight loss this pregnancy. I also have an extensive list of things that are intolerable or causes allergic reaction (like fruit). Thankfully, yesterday's u/s was beautiful, baby's growth hasn't suffered. Here's my first question, have any of you been grain free and pregnant? If so, how did it work out?
#204 of 267 Old 02-20-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post

I don't eat a lot of legumes because I don't feel quite right after eating them. I might have them a couple times a year, but for the most part I just don't care about them.

As for something to crunch on... apples make a satisfying crunch, at this time of year a good asian pear or fuyu persimmon also crunches. Celery, carrots, sugar snap peas, bell pepper, jicama, radish... they all crunch. Even nuts crunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaryJen View Post
Here's my first question, have any of you been grain free and pregnant? If so, how did it work out?
I haven't done this, but i have every intention of doing it. And my doctor agrees with me. Honestly, grains do not contain anything that is vital to life, contrary to popular belief. So long as you are getting sufficient quantities of protein, fat and fruits/veggies, your baby shouldn't have any problems with your diet. Take a look at blueribbonbaby, it will give you a good idea of what the baby requires. They do recommend a considerable amount of grain, but if you can ignore that portion of their advice, the rest is pretty solid.

HTH

#205 of 267 Old 02-20-2008, 05:47 PM

I was grain free with my last...and mostly grain free with the one before that. Both pregnancies were great-no complications. Both were upwards of 8 pounds. My recovery was easiest with the last (grain free.)
#206 of 267 Old 02-20-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
firefaery, can you post your banana cream pie recipe? - i've been meaning to ask you for this for a while as i remember you mentioning how amazing it is in previous posts, i'm trying to find some interesting raw recipes for my dd as she is getting so bored. many thanks.

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
#207 of 267 Old 02-20-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn View Post
Ray Peat helped me TREMENDOUSLY. In 2006 I started suffering from absolutely debilitating menstrual cramps on the first day of my period. It was so bad that I honestly could not function for a whole day and I would need to down 6 ibuprofen at a time just to take the edge off. It was a total nightmare. I found Ray Peat's website and he mentioned in one of his articles that he noticed when he moved to Oregon that many female students and faculty would develop terrible menstrual symptoms after spending a winter there. He started doing some research and finally linked it to the lack of sunlight in the NW; it wasn't vitamin D deficiency, it was actually a disruption in the chain of metabolic events linked to photoreactive processes that start when sunlight hits the skin. A lightbulb went off in my head, because my own symptoms had started the winter I moved to Seattle. I started going out in the sun every day for a month and my cramps utterly disappeared. They literally vanished. I feel like it saved my life. So I am inclined to give Mr. Peat the benefit of the doubt.
wow this is so so interesting to me! i get such bad cramping every month which starts up a week before my period starts. i have been diagnosed with endomietriosis but i get such bad seasonal affective disorder in the winter aswell and my period pains and pms is always worse. i crave the sun and long to move to a sunny country (in dark rainy england!) since going grain free the pms has improved slightly but the cramps are still bad, i've increased the CLO and raw butter, but instinctivly i just know that sunshine would help so much (just to have that intense light is what i long for).

wow, thanks so much for posting about this it really makes sense of some things going on for me.

have got behind on this thread as i've been ill and i just jumped in on the last page so i've got to go read back on the other posts to catch up - this thread is so interesting, thanks everyone...

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
#208 of 267 Old 02-20-2008, 07:12 PM

re: pregnancy: I was most entirely grain free the last- followed the blueribbon diet (which is very heavy on grains) almost to the letter the first time. Gained 35 lbs last time, 55 the first- so no lack of weight gain either time. I felt so amazingly fantastic my last pregnancy. I also credit that to keeping a very high activity level.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#209 of 267 Old 02-20-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
wow, thanks so much for posting about this it really makes sense of some things going on for me.
I'm glad the info was helpful to you!! I know how awful cramping can make you feel. :

#210 of 267 Old 02-21-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I was grain free with my last...and mostly grain free with the one before that. Both pregnancies were great-no complications. Both were upwards of 8 pounds. My recovery was easiest with the last (grain free.)
Did you eat/drink a lot of fruit? I can only hold (max) 1/3 cup of juice down twice a day and forget about the real thing. I'm concerned about possible ketosis complications on pregnancy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page