So where to buy humanely raised and slaughtered meat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2008, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm....

I've been doing some reading and getting an education. Not exactly the one I wanted to get before trying to sleep last night, but oh well, now I know.

So : For those of you who do get such meat - how did you find it? Can you point me in a direction of where to get beef, pork, chicken, and eggs that don't torture the animals while raising them or slaughtering them?

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 07:54 PM

I used eatwild.com to find my grass fed beef supplier. You could contact people in your area to see if they know of suppliers of other meats.

I found a pastured egg supplier and my farmer's market and have used him to find a goat milk supplier, and it turns out he has happy pigs and rabbits to sell also. Once you find one supplier, you can usually get into their network of people.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:16 PM

We order from www.paidom.com They deliver here, but will mail just about anywhere.

-Angela
Old 02-05-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
We order from www.paidom.com They deliver here, but will mail just about anywhere.

-Angela
How long have yo been buying meat from them? I read their website and cannot find any info on how they are slaughtered. Do you know where I can find that information? I ask becasue they deliver her ein houston, and particularly in my area

TIA!
Old 02-05-2008, 09:20 PM

because you seem interested in slaughter practices, i think your best bet is to find your local slaughterhouse. not a big place- a small place local farmers are likely to employ. it will often be family-run, and you can get to know them. they can get you in touch with growers who slaughter there.

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
Old 02-05-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeilaLuv View Post
How long have yo been buying meat from them? I read their website and cannot find any info on how they are slaughtered. Do you know where I can find that information? I ask becasue they deliver her ein houston, and particularly in my area

TIA!
We've been buying from them around a year to a year and a half. I know they use a local (to them) company for slaughter and packing. I'm sure if you email Alan he can tell you in detail what the procedure is- it's that kind of "company" (family really)

I know at one point they planned to open their own slaughter/packing facility, but I haven't heard anything about it lately.

-Angela
Old 02-05-2008, 10:57 PM

We get it directly from the farmer too - found her on eatwild.com. There's also localharvest.org

Also your local wafp chapter might have some info.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:25 PM

See if you can find a local farm, go see the animals and ask them lots of questions. Some places slaughter chickens on the farm but due to USDA regs you can't do this with cows. So as other people have said, ask your farmer what slaughterhouse they use. More local and smaller ones are often more humane to both animals and workers, as there are less animals to process and the line moves slower (makes a very big difference). This is a big issue for us as well.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:11 AM

A local slaughterhouse or butcher shop might be your best bet, or if you can buy directly from the farmer that's even better. We buy a beef and a lamb each year from a local farmer and supplement with naturally-grown local farm-raised meat from a butcher shop in town. The butcher shop doesn't advertise itself as all-natural or anything--I only know it is because I asked questions.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:32 PM

I'm curious about those who live in urban areas where local farms aren't local. Do you wind up ordering online? Do you take a trip once a year out to a farm to visit and then deep freeze your meat?
Old 02-06-2008, 04:06 PM

I live just outside a metro area and found a farmer (actually a number of them) through my WAPF chapter. My beef is about a 40min drive from here, but I pick up from her and talked in depth about the place she uses at slaughter time (they actually had her there to teach her their practices and about how they cut the meat into the various varieties, etc- very interesting). So I second the "from the farmer" idea, but maybe check out your local WAPF to find the farmer!

Jen- married to best friend DH and mom to DS (8) , DD (5): 3 goldfish.gif, 3 chicken3.gif, and one great dog2.gif
Old 02-06-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post
I'm curious about those who live in urban areas where local farms aren't local. Do you wind up ordering online? Do you take a trip once a year out to a farm to visit and then deep freeze your meat?
I live in Houston and as I mentioned order from paidom. They deliver to the area about every 2 months or so.

-Angela
Old 02-06-2008, 08:56 PM

Do you have a local farmer's market? We have a great one and there are several meat vendors there.

Some farmers will also do a "cow share" where you buy a live cow - then the farmer can butcher your cow for you (and whomever else owns it with you). The law states they can't sell meat that they have butchered. But they aren't selling you meat that way - they are selling you a live cow. I think that's always more humane than trucking the cow to a slaughterhouse. But currently our meat is locally killed but not at the farm.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post
I've been living in big metropolitan areas, and for the large amounts of meat we would go to the farm a couple times a year to pick up our 1/4 cow, etc and yes, put it in the chest freezer. For smaller amounts, I've had grassfed/pastured farmers selling their meat at the local farmer's market and one who's freezer was right near my house so I could drive there to pick it up. Now I have a supplier of pastured/grassfed beef, pork, chicken and eggs who does a few stops to the metro area every two months so I drive about an hour to pickup those things.

I found almost all my meat sources for the 3 states I've lived in at the www.eatwild.com site- Give it a try!

-Kelly
Old 02-07-2008, 12:47 PM

Oh, and our for our 1/2 lamb last year, I found out about it through our CSA veggie supplier. We went to pick it up at the farm and they had the slaughter done onsite by the local processor, if I recall correctly. Either onsite or very nearby, so you might want to consider lamb too.

User Tag List