Mothering Forum banner

NT oatmeal cookie recipe?

727 views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  AJP 
#1 ·
I'm looking for an NT oatmeal cookie recipe. My efforts to adapt my old one were, well, disasterous

See less See more
#3 ·
here's one. is that more or less what you're looking for?

i can't eat that kind of thing without very serious consequences, but i made that recipe for my husband so he wouldn't eat some garbage cookies from the grocery store (and this is a man who claims he doesn't like sweets). i used sucanat instead of maple syrup (that's what i had on hand), plus a little baking soda (did they just forget in the recipe, or is it really without soda?) anyway, he said it was good, for what it's worth.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcrocus View Post
here's one. is that more or less what you're looking for?

i can't eat that kind of thing without very serious consequences, but i made that recipe for my husband so he wouldn't eat some garbage cookies from the grocery store (and this is a man who claims he doesn't like sweets). i used sucanat instead of maple syrup (that's what i had on hand), plus a little baking soda (did they just forget in the recipe, or is it really without soda?) anyway, he said it was good, for what it's worth.

Thanks for the suggestion
. I was hoping for something that involved soaking the oats . . . I already have one that doesn't properly prepare the grain.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MMGerard View Post
Would it be possible to soak the oats, then drain them and dehydrate overnight on super low heat (as in the way "crispy nuts" are done)? I haven't tried this myself but have been thinking about it...
I was wondering the same thing after I read Shanna's post about soaking and proceeding with the recipe as written
(fwiw, Shanna, I was thinking about doing the same thing, thanks for the warning!).

#11 ·
omg! I have been on a mission to perfect a recipe using soaked/cooked steel cut oatmeal. See, I make giant batches of oatmeal and then put it in a glass storage container in the fridge. Sometimes I want to make a fresh batch to eat but want to use up the old oatmeal and not waste it. Also, my kids ALWAYS demand oatmeal on the weekends and I am terrible about remembering to measure and so make a too-big amount soaking the night before and it cooks up into three times as much as I need and I want a way to use the leftovers.

So I have been wanting a recipe to use the actual cooked OATMEAL in cookies. Anyway.... my first batch was decent but mushy. I'll bookmark this and let you know if I pull it off!

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by attached2mason View Post
I was wondering the same thing after I read Shanna's post about soaking and proceeding with the recipe as written
(fwiw, Shanna, I was thinking about doing the same thing, thanks for the warning!).
I soaked mine in yogurt and then proceeded, so I shouldn't have been surprised that it was too wet. The dehydrating after soaking, though, is interesting.....I'll be looking out for the cooked oatmeal cookie recipe. THAT would solve many problems!

#14 ·
I've soaked whole oat groats for 24 hours, then dehydrated, then flaked them and used them to make oatmeal cookies (I have a flaker attachment for my grain mill). I used a standard recipe (using Rapadura and butter) and they turned out like regular oatmeal cookies. I think oats are one of those grains low in phytase (the enzyme that gets activated during soaking that then breaks down phytic acid), so it's probably a good idea to add a handful of raw rye flakes while soaking so they contribute their phytase enzyme (this idea from Gale Force's e-book, rye is high in phytase). Plus, basically all oats have been steamed or roasted prior to retail sale (yes, even oat groats), it's standard industry practice because raw oat bran is so unstable that it goes rancid very quickly during storage and transport. Heat stabilizes it, but heat also probably knocks out any phytase content oats have when raw. I now add rye flakes to my oatmeal when soaking it, for this reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.