Coconut Oil vs. Fresh Coconut - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-08-2008, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried to post a question on this last night but somehow the post got deleted so I'll try again...

Can you get the same nutritional benefits from fresh young coconut flesh and water as you can from coconut oil or is there something extra special about coconut oil? If both were available to you, which would you prefer?
#2 of 10 Old 02-08-2008, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I make coconut cream from fresh coconut meat and that is my preference for eating it in smoothies and raw cream custards etc. I use coconut oil as a substitute when I don't have raw coconut cream. I used coconut oil in cooking for the children.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#3 of 10 Old 02-09-2008, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I use coconut oil for cooking/baking but have decided that I'm going to use coconut meat blended with water to make coconut milk, is that what you mean? I can't find organic coconut milk tha's not in a can & I don't feel comfortable using canned foods. AFAIK, it would be nearly impossible for someone to make coconut oil in their home...

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#4 of 10 Old 02-09-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I use coconut oil for cooking/baking but have decided that I'm going to use coconut meat blended with water to make coconut milk, is that what you mean? I can't find organic coconut milk tha's not in a can & I don't feel comfortable using canned foods. AFAIK, it would be nearly impossible for someone to make coconut oil in their home...
No, I make coconut "cream". I put the meat through the juicer -- you need a good juice like a green star -- it comes out runny but will harden in the fridge.

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 10 Old 02-09-2008, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No, I make coconut "cream". I put the meat through the juicer -- you need a good juice like a green star -- it comes out runny but will harden in the fridge.
That's interesting. I have used my VitaMix blender for coconut milk, smoothies, creams, custards, even cupcake icing (flesh & water w/ a little vanilla and agave nectar), depending on the flesh to water ratio but had not thought to use my juicer.

It sounds like coconut oil is a good back up when you can't get the fresh stuff. It also sounds like coconut oil has certain applications that maybe too hard to do with fresh, like baking. In baking, how do you use it? To replace butter?

But, I guess my original question was about comparing nutritional value. I'm thinking fresh is better. Yes?
#6 of 10 Old 02-09-2008, 04:55 AM

Fresh young coconut does not have much in the way of fat. Mature coconut flesh is high in the coconut oils, and I use fresh coconut flesh to make my own coconut milk. Yum!
#7 of 10 Old 02-09-2008, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama View Post
I should have quoted, I was responding to the OP.

What I was trying to say is, I use each of these for entirely different purposes - coconut oil works for cooking & coconut milk (or cream - so delicious) for eating plain or with porridge or for dessert-y type dishes - curries too. The two aren't always interchangable, coconut oil would never work in a curry, kwim?

As far as nutrients, coconut oil, if you get a raw/virgin oil of good quality, has a lot of lauric acid & other nutrients. COconut milk & cream also have these nutrients & I don't know if they'd be more concentrated in one or the other. I like that coconut oil keeps a lot longer, 2 years as opposed to a few days for fresh coconut milk/cream.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#8 of 10 Old 02-09-2008, 09:02 PM

Coconut cream is also good for piña coladas.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#9 of 10 Old 02-11-2008, 01:21 PM

If you make your coconut cream with your juicer, do you use fresh coconut? What kind? Where do you get them? How much meat/cream can you get from 1 coconut? I have done this before with a young thai coconut, but the amount of cream & water I got was not very much in respect to the amount of time it took to open the coconut and how much the coconut was. Also, I can rarely find the young thai coconuts.

Sorry so many questions...

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#10 of 10 Old 02-11-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie79 View Post
If you make your coconut cream with your juicer, do you use fresh coconut? What kind? Where do you get them? How much meat/cream can you get from 1 coconut? I have done this before with a young thai coconut, but the amount of cream & water I got was not very much in respect to the amount of time it took to open the coconut and how much the coconut was. Also, I can rarely find the young thai coconuts.

Sorry so many questions...
I get regular fresh, not young Thai coconuts (you get very little cream from the young coconuts), organic whenever possible. I guess I get at least 8 oz, maybe 10 oz, from a coconut, but the key is the coconut needs to be warm, so to do that I immerse the meat in warm water, then dry well before I juice. Opening coconuts is a PITB, but with the right tools it isn't that bad.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page