Care to share how you feel about SF?? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
First ... 3  4  5
Traditional Foods > Care to share how you feel about SF??
barose's Avatar barose 02:59 PM 02-15-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I tried raw milk for my dairy-intolerant DS. Didn't work. Screamed of pain in the night; tantrums during the day. Gee, that was a fun test.

Thats what happened to me, minus the tantrums.

I woke up in the middle of the night with a BURNING stomach, then vomiting when I tried raw milk.

Pookietooth's Avatar Pookietooth 03:59 PM 02-15-2008
I got nasty gas and stomach pain from raw goat's milk. But I can handle 24-hour yogurt made from the same. Guess it's the lactose. As far as the tampons issue, I do think they are not healthy, but not for the reasons SF says. She does seem a bit gullible. Makes one question her intelligence and her opinions about other things.
Gale Force's Avatar Gale Force 04:27 PM 02-15-2008
I agree with you AJP. My statement that it is "interesting" is more of a political one. The biggest causes of WAPF are actually not addressed in the research of WAP. So why call it "WAPF"?
HerthElde's Avatar HerthElde 04:35 PM 02-15-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
I got nasty gas and stomach pain from raw goat's milk. But I can handle 24-hour yogurt made from the same. Guess it's the lactose. As far as the tampons issue, I do think they are not healthy, but not for the reasons SF says. She does seem a bit gullible. Makes one question her intelligence and her opinions about other things.
I'm quite fortunate, I guess . . . maybe it was my source of milk? I'm definitely lactose intolerant, had a test when I was 16 where they made me drink a glass of it, then measured hydrogen levels in my breath - I was way off the chart, went home and puked my guts out all night.
And yet, I have built up (perhaps the key?) a tolerance to some dairy - raw cheddar (which is typically extremely low in lactose) and plain yogurt (low lactose also) don't bother me any more. When I had a source of raw milk a couple years ago, I eased into it very slowly . . . no problems.
I don't believe that once you stop producing lactase, you're doomed to never produce it again, something in the body has to trigger it to start producing again (although, I do think that works in some cases but not all)

Another interesting thing in me, and I know I've mentioned this before, is that milk from grainfed cows makes me phlegmy . . . milk from grassfed cows does not. But then, I'm very sensitive to grains, so I believe that's why.

The tampon stuff - wow, I'd never read that before. I'm quite surprised, really!
guestmama9904's Avatar guestmama9904 05:03 PM 02-15-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
don't get me wrong, I don't like tampons, either. they sap the natural moisture that keeps everything in balance which is why they cause TSS. I use the divacup & love it.

but the info on tampons on the wapf website is really...off. I'm not a fan of bleach or chemicals but we have to have some sense of reality- compare these two pages (bottom of page on 1st link) for scientific accuracy;

http://www.westonaprice.org/women/wise_choices.html

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/tampon.asp
this is a quote from the first link-

"Three substances found in most commercial tampons give cause for alarm:

Asbestos, an irritant that can cause excessive bleeding.
Rayon, which is super absorbent and can lead to Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Dioxins, used in the bleaching process, which are estrogen-like substances that can be absorbed by the skin. Excessive exposure to dioxins has been linked to cancer and problems with the immune and reproductive system."

these are all true, I guess I dont see what you think she is getting all carried away about. the regularly manufactured tampons and pads do contain these substances, its just a fact.
AJP's Avatar AJP 05:16 PM 02-15-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force View Post
I agree with you AJP. My statement that it is "interesting" is more of a political one. The biggest causes of WAPF are actually not addressed in the research of WAP. So why call it "WAPF"?
Good point. Much of the WAPF stuff steps way outside the scope of Price's work.
stilllearning85's Avatar stilllearning85 07:48 PM 02-15-2008
Do you use tampons then? If so, what kind?
bri276's Avatar bri276 08:42 PM 02-15-2008
I don't know if you read the second link, which addressed my problems with what you posted from the wapf website. the asbestos thing is not true, according to anything I can find. if you know otherwise please cite references. secondly, "excessive exposure" is not, IMO, trace amounts in tampons one week out of the month, considering there's plenty of dioxins in our food sources as well- especially in meat and milk!! and she recommends cotton tampons, without specifying organic cotton, and doesn't mention you also have a risk of tss using ANY tampon.
barose's Avatar barose 09:00 PM 02-15-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
I don't know if you read the second link, which addressed my problems with what you posted from the wapf website. the asbestos thing is not true, according to anything I can find. if you know otherwise please cite references. secondly, "excessive exposure" is not, IMO, trace amounts in tampons one week out of the month, considering there's plenty of dioxins in our food sources as well- especially in meat and milk!! and she recommends cotton tampons, without specifying organic cotton, and doesn't mention you also have a risk of tss using ANY tampon.
Thats totally irresponsible IMO.

I user organic cotton tampons. I'm sure its not the best thing in the world to do but my periods can be extremely heavy (I have to use organic pads plus the tampons at the same time)
HerthElde's Avatar HerthElde 09:05 PM 02-15-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
Thats totally irresponsible IMO.

I user organic cotton tampons. I'm sure its not the best thing in the world to do but my periods can be extremely heavy (I have to use organic pads plus the tampons at the same time)
Cloth pads actually absorb better
Totally anecdotal, but many, many women have reported less cramps and lighter flow with cloth as well
barose's Avatar barose 09:08 PM 02-15-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde View Post
Cloth pads actually absorb better
Totally anecdotal, but many, many women have reported less cramps and lighter flow with cloth as well

I have tried cloth pads and they dont work well for me going out (working). I still leaked and it was a mess in the bathroom. At home, its OK.
tabitha's Avatar tabitha 10:01 PM 02-15-2008
also OT, but i had horrible (emergency room) cramps my entire young life. it was unexplained and terrible. everyone said if i had a baby it might go away. i spent every period on heavy-duty painkillers. the moment i stopped using conventional menstrual products (i switched to natracare organic) it stopped, and ha never returned.

ftr, i use cloth now. i wouldnt stick anything up there that didnt belong.
attached2mason's Avatar attached2mason 10:35 PM 02-15-2008
Just to continue on this OT path a little more . . . I also have ridiculously heavy flow on day 1 and 2 but use a combo of cloth pads and the diva cup. Far more reliable than tampons ever were for me. And the diva cup never "runs out" .
barose's Avatar barose 10:38 PM 02-15-2008
Sorry OT again.

The Divacup was VERY painful for me. I guess I'm the only one who cant use it.
HerthElde's Avatar HerthElde 10:42 PM 02-15-2008
Quote:
Sorry OT again.

I wouldn't say that - I didn't have many cycles between #2 and conceiving this one - maybe 8?? - but I used it okay for 6 of those and then it really started to hurt the last two . . . I'm allergic to latex, so the keeper was not an option, but I know some have found it more comfortable . . . but I wonder if there's simply something unnatural about having something stuck in your vagina for a few days . . .

I have heard of some women having success with a sea sponge instead of a tampon - I think you can boil it to disinfect. I'd look it up though (and will, when I have to deal with it again), to find out for sure.
krankedyann's Avatar krankedyann 10:58 PM 02-15-2008
I can't wear a Diva cup, my cervix sits too low so it won't fit. I use the sea sponges with wonderful success. I won't use anything else now, and wish I had discovered them years ago.

ETA: Boiling it will toughen it. There are other ways to disinfect it.
jamie79's Avatar jamie79 12:28 AM 02-16-2008
I have a question for you all. In regards to milk...I switched to raw, grass fed milk about 2 years ago. Milk has always made me mucousy and stuffed up, &the raw milk was no exception, unfortunately, but I liked dairy too much to stop consuming.

However, I stopped all dairy (except some raw goat cheddar cheese) several months ago, due to some other health concerns and have been "clean" since. The other day, I decided to try (testing it out, I guess)some of our grass fed, raw milk and had the worst stomach pains & nausea for about 24 hours. This is still the same source as always and nobody else got sick. Why then, if milk never used to make me have digestive issues, just the stuffed up, phlegmy stuff (which also came back when I tried the milk the other day) would the milk all of a sudden start causing digestive issues?
Panserbjorne's Avatar Panserbjorne 02:30 AM 02-16-2008
constant exposure. It's hte difference between a chronic issue and an acute issue. You're body was too busy dealing with the allergen on a regular basis to launch an all out defense. Once you gave it a break there was no way it was going to let it back in. It was perceived as an acute attack and dealt with as such. Very common, actually. It's why elimination diets work. Once you take out offending substances, you KNOW when they are reintroduced. It's very clear and quite shocking for most who say the same thing as you. But it never bothered me before...

Often the IgG mediated reactions will show up in this way. It is almost always more violent with renewed exposure. Be glad you got a clear sign!
jamie79's Avatar jamie79 03:26 AM 02-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
constant exposure. It's hte difference between a chronic issue and an acute issue. You're body was too busy dealing with the allergen on a regular basis to launch an all out defense. Once you gave it a break there was no way it was going to let it back in. It was perceived as an acute attack and dealt with as such. Very common, actually. It's why elimination diets work. Once you take out offending substances, you KNOW when they are reintroduced. It's very clear and quite shocking for most who say the same thing as you. But it never bothered me before...

Often the IgG mediated reactions will show up in this way. It is almost always more violent with renewed exposure. Be glad you got a clear sign!
Wow! That is so interesting. Thanks, FF! I guess I am thankful. Now if I could only get my sisters off of the dairy...they have such terrible reactions to it, but refuse to do anything about it...even switch to raw and see if there is a difference.
crunchy_mama's Avatar crunchy_mama 04:08 AM 02-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post

thank you so much for that explanation. I always hear people talking about this and they give it as a reason to continue eating the allergen= ie the more I eat it the less it bothers me- so really not eating it is the problem- I have tried to explain the flaw in this thinking but have failed miserably= perhaps next time I can use your words
caedmyn's Avatar caedmyn 10:18 AM 02-16-2008
Quote:
Sorry OT again.

Mine is pretty uncomfortable if I don't get it up high enough...some days it just wants to slide down all the time. Putting it in and taking it out is very uncomfortable, though--I actually don't like it very much because of this. Tampons were really easier and more comfortable. I also didn't notice any changes in my cycle when I switched to the Diva Cup. Still had cramps and my cycle didn't get any lighter (although it's heavier anyway since DD was born so it's hard to say for sure).
batsoup's Avatar batsoup 05:14 PM 02-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Mine is pretty uncomfortable if I don't get it up high enough...some days it just wants to slide down all the time. Putting it in and taking it out is very uncomfortable, though--I actually don't like it very much because of this. Tampons were really easier and more comfortable. I also didn't notice any changes in my cycle when I switched to the Diva Cup. Still had cramps and my cycle didn't get any lighter (although it's heavier anyway since DD was born so it's hard to say for sure).
That's a bummer -- my cramps disappeared in 2 months after a LIFETIME of really bad ones, plus it's lighter, though it's always been light)! And, I found tampons really uncomfortable once I gave birth, so it's been great for me.
caedmyn's Avatar caedmyn 07:26 PM 02-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by batsoup View Post
That's a bummer -- my cramps disappeared in 2 months after a LIFETIME of really bad ones, plus it's lighter, though it's always been light)! And, I found tampons really uncomfortable once I gave birth, so it's been great for me.
Well I had cramps at the very beginning of my very first AF, before I ever used any menstrual products, so there doesn't appear to be any relationship between the two for me
BunnySlippers's Avatar BunnySlippers 02:10 AM 02-17-2008
Well isn't this coincidental(for me).
Yesterday I was browsing the cookbook section in Chapters for raw food books. I picked up NT, I liked the idea behind it, so I bought it. Here tonight I find this thread on it as well.

I am excited to get started with traditional foods using this book. The recipes are something I can prepare. I am not sure about the whole serves 6-8 thing as I only need to serve 2.
I found that her attitude sucks, but I don't actually have to talk with her so I got over that. The whole breastfeeding issue ticks me off though. I am considering writing her a note about it. How can mothers milk not be THE BEST nourishing tradition. ever. seriously. wth?

I also bought a book on juicing. The info given by this author seems to be condescending as well and conflits with NT, but that is ok as I tend to take what works for me from multiple sources and systems and create my own system that works.
krankedyann's Avatar krankedyann 01:06 PM 02-17-2008
I think NT is a very good book for starting out on traditional foods. But there are better books out there to help move you along.
heket's Avatar heket 01:52 AM 02-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann View Post
I think NT is a very good book for starting out on traditional foods. But there are better books out there to help move you along.
As an NT newbie, I'm interested in new titles...
HerthElde's Avatar HerthElde 01:58 AM 02-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post
As an NT newbie, I'm interested in new titles...
Check out this thread
First ... 3  4  5

Up