Why is my cream not turning to butter?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2008, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I shook it to heck and now it is in my kitchen aid to no avail. I feel like the butter milk just keeps blending back in... it is defintley past the whipped cream phase... any ideas about how to get it to butter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2008, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ask my DH to 'lightly whip' it for you, for dessert. It'll turn to butter.

ETA: Okay, joking aside--can you drain the buttermilk away as it separates?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:03 PM

Have you gone from whip cream to another consistency and then back to cream? If so, then I think this batch is toast because once it separates and goes back it doesn't seem to get back to butter.

If you haven't gotten past whip cream then you're still in the game. Just past whip cream is butter solids and butter milk. Watch it closely and it will separate. Once you see it separate (you'll know, there is no missing it), then drain off the butter milk and start washing your butter.

HTH

Jen- married to best friend DH and mom to DS (8) , DD (5): 3 goldfish.gif, 3 chicken3.gif, and one great dog2.gif
Old 02-10-2008, 10:24 PM

Even in the kitchen aid it can take a lot longer than it seems like it should so like pp said, if it hasn't made it to the right stage yet, it still can. Every time I do it I have the thought that maybe it isn't going to work but it always does.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 02-11-2008, 03:00 AM

I have found it helpful to start with room temperature cream and a chilled container to churn it in, just as if you were making whipped cream. I do it in my Cuisinart. I leave the cream out for several hours (for sweet butter) and put the processor bowl in the freezer. It seems to separate more easily and takes less than ten minutes.

You can read some good stories/instructions about buttermaking here.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:52 AM

How about pretending you're going to make whipped cream and going to do something in the other room for a minute? Every time I do that, I get butter.

Really, just keep waiting. It'll kick over the second you stop paying attention to it.

2 happy kids makes for a happy mother.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:38 PM

The first time I made butter, it started to separate and I thought "Ok, I'll just shake the jar a bit longer so I'm sure it's all butter now. Low and behold I ended up with clotted cream. It goes from whipped cream to butter and then to clotted cream if you don't separate the butter and buttermilk and continue to mix/shake.

FWIW clotted cream is like whipped cream only thicker - and very yummy on fruit.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama View Post
The first time I made butter, it started to separate and I thought "Ok, I'll just shake the jar a bit longer so I'm sure it's all butter now. Low and behold I ended up with clotted cream. It goes from whipped cream to butter and then to clotted cream if you don't separate the butter and buttermilk and continue to mix/shake.

FWIW clotted cream is like whipped cream only thicker - and very yummy on fruit.
So THAT's clotted cream! My friend (from South Africa) served it at her wedding and I LOVED it. She got it from a friend that "closely guards her secret" way of making it. Even my friend has no idea. Gonna have to try it...

Jen- married to best friend DH and mom to DS (8) , DD (5): 3 goldfish.gif, 3 chicken3.gif, and one great dog2.gif
Old 02-11-2008, 01:51 PM

I found that if it gets too hot, it won't work. I had to stop blending mine, put it in the fridge overnight, and then try again the next day. Worked right away.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
Old 02-11-2008, 01:51 PM

Could be your cream is not at the right temp. If it is too warm or too cold it won't make butter. If everything seems to be right, there might be a problem with the cream. We've had this problem before, it turned out to be a staph bacteria that was preventing the cream from making butter (it interfered with the fat globules sticking ability).

As pp said, you may have gone past the butter stage. If you had whipped cream, the next stage is butter; once you go past the butter stage, you can't make butter again with that cream.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:52 AM

The same thing happened to me so I whipped about 15 minutes, set it in the fridge for 2 days (it turned solid), then I microwaved it until liquid and it separated into butter! Hope it helps

User Tag List