raw meat eaters, do you do anything with the meat to make it tastier? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2008, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi, just wondering if you make anything with the raw meat to make it a bit more interesting or do you eat just plain raw meat? what type of meat do you usually eat? and do you freeze it as in NT or not bother as aajonus suggests to do? dp is a chef and he is convinced i'll get e coli or salmonella from it, i read aajonus' book but i didn't quite understand what he says about why it is not true that you get serious food poisoning from raw meat. why do some people get E coli then? is that just from cooked meat? where has the myth come from that raw meat is dangerous?

last week i did try making ceviche with my cod fish mariniated it in lemon and lime and unfortunatly i did vomit in the night. there was no pain but i woke up feeling incredibly naseous until after i had vomited and i had really enjoyed eating the ceviche. i don't think it was food poisoning but it was a bit strange that i had eaten raw fish and then that happened, do you think my body just wasn't used to it and so rejected it? it did freak me out for a bit - but i'm determined to try again! i've got too much healing to do, not to try again!

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2008, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Old 02-16-2008, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

sorry! just bumping this again. anyone raw meat eaters around?

Old 02-16-2008, 11:20 AM

I've only had raw seafood on occasion, so I might not be much help, but I eat raw liver and raw beef. Both have been frozen for at least 14 days. My understanding about disease is that e. coli and salmonella crop up in industrial feeding situations (I'd be happy to go into more detail if that would be helpful) but that pastured animals are pretty free of it. The freezing is meant to kill off any potential parasites.

As for palatability, I simply slice the liver thin and eat it frozen--but I'm not eating liver for the pleasure of it, if you know what I mean. Raw beef, on the other hand, we LOVE--I cut it while it's still mostly frozen, against the grain into very thin slices and basically make a salad of mixed greens, Parmesan cheese shavings, a good pinch of sea salt, and a lemon or lime based "vinaigrette". Even DS (2.5) devours it like there's no tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:27 PM

phroggies, what cut of beef do you use for your salad? It sounds delicious! :

I am reading Pottenger's Cat study and really want to start adding some of the "fresh activators" he says are in raw meat and that people need.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluckyInAZ View Post
phroggies, what cut of beef do you use for your salad? It sounds delicious! :
Usually New York strip, because that's the most affordable steak cut from my farmer. I'm thinking of trying it with cube steak, which is even cheaper but doesn't seem to really be steak. Honestly, I think it would work with most cuts because you're cutting it so thinly and you don't have the toughening that comes from heat to contend with. You wouldn't want to do a roast because the logistics of cutting it would be so annoying, though.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
I actually prefer my raw meat without any sauce. But I do prefer to eat the expensive cuts I am afraid, ie fillet mignon, sliced very thin. I find that meat will go down easier with avocado and raw cheese, but if you are doing the Primal Diet, you really need to eat it with raw, unsalted cheese which I find I have to order from special sources.

Raw meat should not be eaten with a lot of raw veggies, ie a salad, a few veggies to taste is okay, but not a plate full as it can neutralize the digestability of the raw meat. Raw vegetables move through the digestive tract slowly, and acidic foods like raw meat will catch up with them. For optimal absorption of nutrients, no other food should be eaten within five hours of eating a raw vegetable salad.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 02-17-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama View Post
I actually prefer my raw meat without any sauce. But I do prefer to eat the expensive cuts I am afraid, ie fillet mignon, sliced very thin. I find that meat will go down easier with avocado and raw cheese, but if you are doing the Primal Diet, you really need to eat it with raw, unsalted cheese which I find I have to order from special sources.

Raw meat should not be eaten with a lot of raw veggies, ie a salad, a few veggies to taste is okay, but not a plate full as it can neutralize the digestability of the raw meat. Raw vegetables move through the digestive tract slowly, and acidic foods like raw meat will catch up with them. For optimal absorption of nutrients, no other food should be eaten within five hours of eating a raw vegetable salad.
I'm not doing the Primal Diet (obviously)--is that the source of the info on raw veggies as well?

And what does it say about me that I'd actually welcome a chance to omit the salad part of the recipe?
Old 02-17-2008, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phroggies View Post
I'm not doing the Primal Diet (obviously)--is that the source of the info on raw veggies as well?
Yes.

Quote:
And what does it say about me that I'd actually welcome a chance to omit the salad part of the recipe?
That you are intuitively aware of your body's digestive processes.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 02-17-2008, 08:51 PM

Bluebell--E coli can be on the outside of a cut of meat, and the issue comes from having ground meat--ie, any germs gets mixed thru-out, but if you are eating, say a steak or roast, the only place the bacteria could be is on the exposed edge not inside. Oh and e coli comes from fecal matter (lovely thought!) If you have any concern about it, just freeze the meat for the 2 weeks. Plus freezing the meat makes it much easier to cut thinly. Personally, I love raw meat, with just a drizzle of really yummy olive oil and some salt. Yumm!

User Tag List