Louann brand coconut oil - is it any good? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2008, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm encouraging my SAD-eating friend to add some coconut oil to her diet. She is interested, but probably not willing to buy the good stuff online (like from mountainroseherbs.com for example). She would buy the brand carried at her local Walmart, which is Louann. I can't find much about them online. Is this brand okay to eat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008, 06:20 PM

That's the first one I tried . It's highly refined, no coconut flavor at all. I can't remember if it's actually unhealthy, like hydrogenated or anything, but I threw it out when I got better CO.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:11 AM

funny, we have this in our pantry, but i got it for dh to make soap with, not to eat! no one has mentioned this, and i just, by default, don't trust it because it came from wally-world!
Old 02-20-2008, 01:13 PM

This stuff is so refined - she would almost be better off with butter and olive oil (mixed together).

She could get the coconut oil from a vitamin shop - they all usually sell Garden of Life brand - and it is just like the ones online. Or if she has a Whole Foods or Earth Fare, etc. - they have them. Although the Spectrum has one that is refined - that I would not recommend.

I bought a bottle and gave it to my brother, but he only used it once or twice. TF is a hard program to sell until someone is desperate for an answer to their medical crisis... and in my extended family - even then it is a heard program to sell......
Old 02-20-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedomesticdiva View Post
This stuff is so refined - she would almost be better off with butter and olive oil (mixed together).

She could get the coconut oil from a vitamin shop - they all usually sell Garden of Life brand - and it is just like the ones online. Or if she has a Whole Foods or Earth Fare, etc. - they have them. Although the Spectrum has one that is refined - that I would not recommend.

Uh-oh, I use Spectrum. What's the problem with it? (and I am TOTALLY not asking in a snippy sort of way, I rEALLY want to know!) I got it at Kroger, but as we get lower, I would like to get something different, if there is something better.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:34 AM

there is nothing wrong with spectrum - the one I got on accident was the refined - I was taking it by the spoonful.

Some people use the refined though to cook with because they do not like the coocnut flavor.

If the coconut flavor does not bother you, you can get the unrefined, or buy another brand...

I sound like a CO snob, but I want ALL the benefit and the problem with the other (canola etc) oils is that companies mess with them too much (refine) and they go rancid...so I figure the more like coconut the better.

User Tag List