Legumes and babies - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-18-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At what age can legumes be introduced as baby food? I've read that great article on WAP but no mention of legumes. Same as grains?
#2 of 7 Old 02-18-2008, 06:32 PM

: I'm interested to know too. I don't quite think it's the same as grains though.
#3 of 7 Old 02-18-2008, 06:37 PM

I think it depends on if the legume is immature such as a green bean or pea, or mature like dried beans. Some people give black beans and such to babies. Since my DD are I are quite sensitive to a lot of foods, I've only given her peas and some mushy green beans. I tolerate those, so I felt comfortable introducing them to her. She's done well with them.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#4 of 7 Old 02-18-2008, 08:13 PM

In the absence of other food intolerances/allergies, anything should be fair game after six months of age (with the exception of milk and honey of course). When you do decide to try beans (highly recommended from a nutrition standpoint!), here are some things to try in the preparation to aid digestion:
I would give the beans a good long soaking, a thorough rinsing and add a 1" piece of kombu (a sea vegetable) to the cooking beans. Kombu is high in glutamic acid which helps break down the raffiose (a sugar in the beans) our bodies (and flora) have a tough time digesting sometimes. Also, don't salt the beans until they're done cooking. Puree and thin with some breast milk or water.
Yum!
#5 of 7 Old 02-18-2008, 10:06 PM

I gave DD beans off my plate after she was a year old to feed herself. I don't spoon feed unless it's a particularly messy food. Beans are her favorite food actually, which is just hilarious to me. You can't eat a bowl of bean soup alone in our house!

Defending your food from a toddler is surprisingly hard.

Of course, all of mine are properly prepared - 140F soak (crockpot with lid off) for at least 8 hours and then cooked until done, seasoned after being done. I don't particularly like kombu though and I don't use it anymore.
#6 of 7 Old 02-19-2008, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

quietserena--when you soak your beans in a crockpot, do you make sure it's 140 degrees, or do you just put it on low with the lid off? I just imagine different crockpots producing different temperatures. I do have one with a warm setting, maybe I'll try that. Thanks for the idea.

I was thinking mostly about dried beans. I don't cook fresh legumes often.

Thanks everyone.
#7 of 7 Old 02-19-2008, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I never pureed beans for my babies- they make great finger foods!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page