chlorophyll during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 16 weeks preggers. MW wants me to supplement with chlorophyll during pregnancy but I've read in the past that its a chelator. I was in the process of having 8 mercury amalgams removed and still have 2 left to go when I found out I was pg. I'm concerned about stirring up mercury by taking the chlorophyll. Baby girl is already going to be getting more than her fair share of mercury I fear. I think chlorophyll helps raise the mom's iron level which is a good thing if I were to experience any pp bleeding. I just don't know if the risks outweight the benefits in my case. I do have some Organic Organ Delight from Dr. Ron's that might help raise my iron levels. WWYD? Anyone have anymore info on this topic? TIA
#2 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 12:39 PM

Oh boy, IDK. I supplemented w/ Alfalfa, Nettles, and Red Raspberry leaf during my pregnancy and kept my protein intake super high. Maybe look into other sources for upping your iron, because they are out there. I guess maybe it's a "you gotta choice your battle" type of thing?
#3 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 01:58 PM

There are plenty of other ways to raise your iron level - Floradix is a good one.
#4 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 04:40 PM

I don't know about chlorophyll as a chelator, but I took it during my pregnancy. I was having a horribly stressful time (living with dh's grandparents) and having some really bad panic attacks and problems with anemia and my mw told me take it. I really liked it and it helped with the faintness that I was experiencing. I would just make up a big bottle of water with concentrace, chlorophyll, pregnancy tea and some raw honey and drink it during the day. It was really nice. I found one that was from nettles because I am weary of taking alfalfa, I also got the natural flavor instead of the mint. I think chlorophyll is high in magnesium which I was burning through like crazy with my stress.

I don't know about your circumstances, but I feel like the chlorophyll was worth it in mine.
#5 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 04:43 PM

knowing what I know now, I would have been eating raw liver chunks during pregnancy too, to bring up my iron levels. That might be a better solution for you. I still would have taken the chlorophyll too though.
#6 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 05:52 PM

I'm confused. I've never heard of chlorophyll being a chelator. I know the seaweed chlorella is a chelator.

I'm curious about this because I've got a mouth full of amalgams and I definitely get a lot of chlorophyll in my diet mostly from drinking herbal infusions (nettles). I'm not pg, but I am bf and am trying to replenish my body so I can be pg again in the future.

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#7 of 8 Old 02-20-2008, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

I emailed my mw for more info. I'll post back with her reply.
#8 of 8 Old 02-20-2008, 11:55 AM

I think you might be getting chlorophyll confused with chlorella.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page