Where do you buy sprouted flour? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-19-2008, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please share where you buy sprouted flour and how much you spend...

Thanks.
#2 of 24 Old 02-19-2008, 11:36 PM

I like Summers Sprouted Flour - from http://www.creatingheaven.net/eeproducts/eesfc/

Due Nov 2010 with baby #3
#3 of 24 Old 02-20-2008, 11:40 AM

this is where i buy mine too, great product--caution on the recipes though (online). i was suspicious about the minimal quantities of fat called for, it really does make a huge difference. i haven't been experimenting a ton, since the flour is rather expensive. if i remember correctly, SF's recipe for cookies turned out yummy though.
#4 of 24 Old 02-20-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

I called them, but they have not called me back. Is there nowhere else to buy?

Thanks.
#5 of 24 Old 02-20-2008, 10:25 PM

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#6 of 24 Old 02-20-2008, 10:39 PM
AJP

I think Summer's might be closed temporarily. My husband said he thinks he remembers being told when he placed a phone order one time that they close for a while each Feb. to have their millstones re-surfaced and thoroughly clean all the machinery (I imagine flour dust gets everywhere). Has anyone called?

There is no secret ingredient.
#7 of 24 Old 02-20-2008, 10:47 PM

I've been waiting for a while to hear from them... they had been really good with the communications and then just stopped! Good to know that they do this annually! I'll wait a bit longer...

Robin
#8 of 24 Old 02-20-2008, 10:50 PM

I sprout and dry a large amount at a time and then grind it as I need it. In a grinder or a blender.
#9 of 24 Old 02-20-2008, 11:27 PM

I use Summers flour too. We don't bake much, but do make ww bread in the bread machine with it.
#10 of 24 Old 02-20-2008, 11:32 PM

I was going to buy from them too. Then I went on their website and they say they soak the grains in hydrogen peroxide prior to sprouting. It made me wonder if it could harmful or damaging to the grains. What do you think of it?
#11 of 24 Old 02-21-2008, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

I called again today and it says mailbox is full - is there nowhere else to buy sprouted flour?

Anybody know about the soaking methods??

Thanks
#12 of 24 Old 02-21-2008, 12:37 AM

Ok I have ordered sprouted flour from these people - it came out to about $10 per bag for organic sprouted spelt flour including shipping. I had to order 6 bags at a time. Here is an email I got about it:

"We wanted you to be the first to know that we have teamed up with Shiloh Farms, a company with a 65 year tradition of offering organic wholesome foods to distribute the Shiloh Farms Essential Eating Organic Sprouted Spelt and Sprouted Wheat Flours made from 100% whole grains. It has taken us years of research and development to perfect our sprouting process and to put taste and nutrition back into flour milling. The result is both delicious and nutritious.

You will be interested to know that our certified organic sprouted flour mill has achieved the highest rating of Superior from the American Institute of Baking. Very few mills in the country can claim this distinction.

We have heard from many Weston A. Price members that they are already experiencing satisfying and lasting results by incorporating our sprouted flour into their diets. That warms my heart.

Our sprouted flour is available in 2, 5 and 30 pound bags. There is a minimum order of six bags for the 2 and 5 pound bags. Or give the following information to your health food store to order for you. Check out the recipe on the bag for sprouted pancakes and muffins. They are definitely the most delicious pancakes and muffins on the planet - and they digest as vegetables! How cool is that!

To order contact:
GARDEN SPOT DISTRIBUTORS
Louise Hock
louise@gardenspotdist.com
800 829-5100 ext. 110

Visit http://www.essentialeating.com for more information on beauty and benefits of sprouted flour - your delicious alternative.

Due Nov 2010 with baby #3
#13 of 24 Old 02-22-2008, 12:56 AM

Hmm I put in an online order about a week ago. It said it went through, but I guess I have no idea how long it will take now.

I really just use it to make pancakes or crepes on the weekend. I usually use double the eggs and butter that a recipe with white flour calls for- and they turn out great that way. I get the wheat and spelt flours. The Cream of Spelt is really yummy but I found it digested too quickly as a breakfast and I was starving again an hour later.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#14 of 24 Old 02-22-2008, 03:14 PM

I ordered from Summers several weeks ago and never heard anything and didn't get any flour. If they shut down production during Feb they could at least put a notice on their website or something.... I haven't tried calling or emailing though.
#15 of 24 Old 02-28-2008, 01:10 PM

I've also been trying to contact Summers Flour. Their voicemail box is full and they haven't returned my emails. Has anybody received their orders from them recently? I used to buy it at my local food coop who say they have not been able to get any either.
#16 of 24 Old 03-04-2008, 01:09 AM

Summer's was cheaper than the Essential Eating one, but maybe they are out of business?

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#17 of 24 Old 03-04-2008, 12:59 PM

I've been thinking recently about ordering either sprouted ww flour or sprouted spelt. For general baking and cooking usage, should I get the flour or the spelt? I don't understand what the texture difference would be.

Too bad that Summers might not be around anymore. I was hoping to buy from there. For all of you who contacted them, let us know if you get a response please!

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

#18 of 24 Old 03-04-2008, 08:53 PM
AJP

I placed an order on Summer's website yesterday, and today got an email saying they were having some delays but my order would ship within the next 2 weeks. So they're still around.

TJ, do you mean should you get wheat or spelt for general baking? I use both. The spelt has a milder flavor and slightly softer texture in the finished item, the wheat is a little more malty, but the differences are subtle. I sometimes find pieces of hull (the outside of the kernel, not the bran) in the spelt flour from them, I think that's because the hulls of spelt don't come off as easily as the more modern types of wheat so sometimes a few kernels slip through that still have it attached and it ends up in the flour (harmless). So I tend to sift the spelt flour right before using it even if the recipe doesn't need it, because that catches the bits of hull. I haven't found any hull pieces in the wheat, but I like the spelt better in general for things like quickbreads, cookies, pancakes, etc.. The wheat seems to allow for better rising in kneaded breads. I'd say get some of both so you can see which you like better.

#19 of 24 Old 04-21-2008, 01:59 AM

Has anyone had any luck with Summers recently?

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

#20 of 24 Old 04-21-2008, 02:19 AM

i've also been wondering about this! AJP, did you ever get your flour? have people had good luck with the other one (essential something)?
i have a couple other questions-- with flour that is bought sprouted, do you still need to soak before baking, or that's already been done? and, how important do you think it is to grind your own grain? and, do you usually just straight substitute the sprouted flour for reg. whole wheat?
thanks!
#21 of 24 Old 04-21-2008, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

I was able to get in touch with Summers Sprouted Flour by email - at this point I have paid and am awaiting delivery

It is my understanding that you need to either sprout, soak or ferment (sourdough) - so you would not need to soak this flour.

I also heard it explained that sprouted wheat digests as a veggie rather than a carb...

I do not know if it is directly substituted.
#22 of 24 Old 04-21-2008, 06:12 PM
AJP

I did receive my order.

You don't need to soak sprouted flour, the sprouting has already reduced the phytates (and increased some vitamin content as well). Long, acidic soaking probably does a more thorough job of reducing phytates, but sprouting is good enough for me.

I feel fine about not grinding this grain myself, it's ground right before it's shipped (so they say, I have no way to verify that) and I store it in the freezer so it shouldn't be going rancid.

I think it says on Summer's website that their flour is drier than regular AP flour so you might need to use less, but I've found that with all spelt flour, it actually soaks up less water than standard wheat flour, so if I'm using a recipe that calls for wheat flour (either AP or whole wheat), I just pack the spelt flour down in the measuring cup rather than a scoop-and-level, non-packed measure. That usually results in an appropriate texture, whereas if I don't pack it down when measuring then the batter or dough will often seem too wet, in which case I add a little more. There are some recipes I use with weight measurements for flour instead of volume, I just use the same measurement by weight of sprouted spelt and they work out fine. You'll probably just have to experiment a little with the recipes you typically use to see how they come out, if it's a recipe you know well you'll be able to tell if the batter is too wet and needs more flour.

#23 of 24 Old 04-21-2008, 11:33 PM

thanks! i'm excited to try it. it seems like a good solution for me b/c i often don't think far enough ahead to soak and i'm still feeling intimidated by sourdough although i'm sure i'll get there eventually! hopefully, anyhow
#24 of 24 Old 04-21-2008, 11:50 PM

I placed an order with Summer's Sprouted flour 2 weeks ago and never got a confirmation. I've been doing an email exchange with them and it's taking between 2 to 5 days per response. Hopefully, this last one got through what I wanted to order... So response is really slow right now, but they do respond eventually.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page