raw eggs in smoothies? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure this info is already on here somewhere, but I couldn't find anything. Would someone just really quickly give me the lowdown on raw eggs in smoothies? The only thing I have used raw eggs for is in mayonnaise. I get wonderful eggs from a local farmer. Is it good to put them in smoothies for the kids? Do you just wash them off first? Would you do that for a 3 yo? How many? Etc, any other thoughts about raw eggs...
Thank you so much!
#2 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 01:58 PM

I think there was another thread on raw eggs maybe a week or two ago. If I remember correctly the general idea was to know your source and at that point it's probably as safe as anything else.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#3 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 03:39 PM

I put 3 pastured eggs in my smoothie each day. Sometimes I cant get pastured, so I use organic, free range (whatever that means to them) from the HFS. It is definitely not ideal, but I have never had a problem. Mostly, though, the pastured from a friend.

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#4 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 04:54 PM

My step mom used to do this when we were kids and all 4 of us would be rolling around on the ground in pain afterwards.

Our family tried it again recently, and same problem as before, horrible stomach pain. You might have a different experience, but none of us could tolerate it.

I think if youre gonna do raw eggs, they shouldn't be mixed with fruit or dairy... cause were all fine if they are eaten alone.
#5 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 04:57 PM

That's odd. Doesn't most ice cream have eggs in it?
#6 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i put 4-6 raw yolks in my own milkshakes which are made with milk and cream. my son is not into smoothies right now, but i used to make him molasses milk shakes and use at least 2 yolks in them for him. i would not eat the whites raw. the yolks are where all the nutrition is anyway. you need the fat of the eggs to counteract the sugar in the fruit and any other sugar sources in the smoothies.
#7 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 07:39 PM

I throw a couple raw eggs (pastured, although for months I was using eggs I *thought* were pastured but weren't) in our morning kefir smoothie with a banana, frozen berries, and a bit of coconut oil. DH, DD and I have been drinking these for a looong time (well over a year I think?) and have never had a problem. DD is only 2. And I don't wash the eggs first either, they've been brushed clean when I get them.

FWIW, and I have no credible source for this - I've heard there is a lot more salmonella on the eastern side of north america than the west, and especially lots in the southeastern states. I don't know if that's true, but there are other things (like botulism spores in honey) for which that is definitely true so it's plausible at any rate.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#8 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea View Post
My step mom used to do this when we were kids and all 4 of us would be rolling around on the ground in pain afterwards.

Our family tried it again recently, and same problem as before, horrible stomach pain. You might have a different experience, but none of us could tolerate it.

I think if youre gonna do raw eggs, they shouldn't be mixed with fruit or dairy... cause were all fine if they are eaten alone.
Hmmm, I mix mine with fruit and raw goat milk. For my kids, we mix them with fruit and raw cows milk. Weird, we have never had a bad reaction to them. Sometimes there could be a reaction to the egg white when raw, I believe. Not sure, though.

ETA: I am in the Southeastern part of the US, too

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#9 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, everyone. That is interesting about the southeastern states, I am close to that. But I feel very confident that the eggs I get are safe, I was just wondering what others do, as far as giving their kids raw eggs on a regular basis. So, would you say it's something you do daily, for the nutrition?
Thanks so much!
#10 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryblossom View Post
. the yolks are where all the nutrition is anyway.

I consider eggs to be in their package as nature intended. I believe the only way to get all the nutrition is to eat it as a whole food. The whites contain compounds that allow the yolk to be better absorbed and assimilated. I personally believe that to get the most out of them nutrient wise you eat the whole thing.

Yes the yolk has fat, cholesterol, A and D etc etc etc, but it's short sighted IMO to think that you'll get what you're looking for by just eating what seems to be important. Fragmented food will never be as nourishing.

We do raw eggs daily in smoothies and custards.
#11 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 11:46 PM

In the summer when we were making fresh vegetable juice daily, we always put a raw egg in it. I'd whisk the egg first, then pour in the green juice. Delicious and an amazing energy boost!

Regarding eggs & ice cream--we put raw egg yolks in our homemade ice cream, but any store-bought ice cream that has egg in it has been cooked first, like a custard (but it's pretty hard to find store-bought ice cream w/ real eggs in it, unless you're buying a premium custard, for example).
#12 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea View Post

are you perhaps allergic to eggs? i do not see any nutritional or medical explanation as to why mixing eggs with fruit would cause gastric distress.

anyways I put 1 raw egg yolk in my smoothies.
#13 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I am going to make a smoothie with raw eggs tomorrow morning!
#14 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 12:36 PM

im not fond of the texture, myself.

my husband and i were just talking about this the other night... we were watching food network (good eats i think) and alton was talking about raw eggs being dangerous. my husband said "what? you can get sick from raw eggs? i used to drink a raw egg in milk every morning when i had football practice. just like rocky!" lol, rocky... funny spokesperson for TF.
#15 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 02:06 PM

I put raw egg yolks in my smoothies and in my ds'. I did so while pregnant and while ds was under 3 yrs old. : I think the important part is to know your source. There really isn't any one *safe* food.
#16 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 03:55 PM

Drinking a raw egg smoothie right now... MMMM.
#17 of 17 Old 02-25-2008, 12:38 PM

I have a raw egg smoothie about 3 times a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. I'll often blend a few (whole) eggs into some fresh-pressed orange juice. Yummy way to start the day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page