Palm sugar - where to buy online? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody got a favorite online source for unrefined palm sugar? I was just reading about it in Full Moon Feast and it sounds intriguing. Is it any cheaper than sucanat?
#2 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 07:49 PM

If you live anywhere close to a chinatown, that's where I get mine. It's kind of a pain in the rear to chop/grate/whatever and you do NEED to do that otherwise it never dissolves, but it does taste lovely.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#3 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been wanting to pick some up too, since reading Full Moon Feast! We have a couple of Asian groceries around here, I plan on stopping by to see if they carry it. I actually had a nice conversation with the owner (?) of my favorite local Thai restaurant about plam sugar & why they don't use it - he said it was too much of a PITA. Anyway, he directed me to the Asian grocer down the street & I just haven't been able to ditch the kids for any amount of time to check it out.

I'd also like to check out a couple of Indian groceries to see if they carry jaggery that is made from the sap of the palm - apparently, part of India makes jaggery from sugar cane & the other part makes it from palm sap.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#4 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 08:57 PM

Yes if you have an Asian or Indian market near you see if it can be purchased from there. I got some recently, but I haven't used it much heres a pic of it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8390849@N02/2239638334/

Hope you find some.
#5 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki98 View Post
Yes if you have an Asian or Indian market near you see if it can be purchased from there. I got some recently, but I haven't used it much heres a pic of it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8390849@N02/2239638334/

Hope you find some.
Cool, I was under the impression that it only came in solid, hard blocks - that's what the man at the Thai restaurant told me - I guess traditionally, they would.

Is it not rock hard? It looks like it'd be gooey, yes?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#6 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 09:29 PM

You know this particular brand it more like a dry gritty paste. I have seen some that come in a disk shape and are much darker and harder. The only thing we have used it for so far is to sweeten our tea. I should do some more experimenting with it. I think it cost us about three dollars for this jar (I think somewhere around three dollars).
#7 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Found this online Palm Sugar Looks pretty traditional, doesn't it?

Thanks for the tip about the asian grocery stores! There's a good one nearby that we buy organic green tea from. I'll check there
#8 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 11:36 PM

We get ours at the Asian grocery store, but it is also used in Brazilian cooking, too, so maybe you could find it at a Brazilian grocer. Sometimes it is called gula melaka or gula jawa. I like to get the disks because it is hard to get out of the jars. I just looked up on wikipedia, and here are some other names for it:
Burma: jaggery, tanyet
Cambodia: skor tnot
Bangladesh: jaggery (raw cane sugar), gur (date palm sugar);
Tamilnadu: panam kaRkaNdu, karuppatti
Indonesia: gula jawa, gula aren
Malaysia: gula melaka, gula anau
Sri Lanka: jaggery, kitul-hakuru, tal-hakuru, pol pani
Thailand: nam taan pep, nam taan bik, nam taan mapraow
Vietnam: đường thốt nốt

Dh and I were just talking about making sago (gula) melaka earlier tonight.
#9 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post

Thanks for the tip about the asian grocery stores! There's a good one nearby that we buy organic green tea from. I'll check there
Do you have really good eyes? If you look reeeeaaaal close at the package in the upper lefthand corner, you can read the ingredients - "white sugar" is listed. : Looks like it might say "malt sugar" as well - what do you think?

#10 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 12:43 AM

What will you use palm sugar for? Is it high in fat as well? I'm intrigued!
#11 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
Do you have really good eyes? If you look reeeeaaaal close at the package in the upper lefthand corner, you can read the ingredients - "white sugar" is listed. : Looks like it might say "malt sugar" as well - what do you think?
Yup. It looks like it says white sugar and malt sugar after palm syrup.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#12 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 01:30 AM

it is simply a sugar that has been in use much longer than refined cane and beet sugars and has traditionally been used in Thai cooking and other tropical traditional cooking. I buy it at my local Asian grocer for 1$ a lb and it comes in a 2 lb circle or cake. it is delicious and a beautiful colour and great texture, similar in feel to mayple sugar.
#13 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 02:26 AM

I found some at a neighborhood Thai grocery but I wasn't sure about whether it was processed,etc. It was in bulk packaging so it didn't say much!\

It looked similar to brown sugar, but was in wedges and much harder. I was also concerned about it being 'cut' with inferior sweeteners......

Would love to find some 'pure' stuff to try out!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#14 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis33 View Post
I found some at a neighborhood Thai grocery but I wasn't sure about whether it was processed,etc. It was in bulk packaging so it didn't say much!\

It looked similar to brown sugar, but was in wedges and much harder. I was also concerned about it being 'cut' with inferior sweeteners......

Would love to find some 'pure' stuff to try out!
You know, I could see it being cut with cane sugar, but not other sweeteners. I found it is rare to find many of the artificial and processed sweeteners in S.E. Asia because they do no grow corn the to the extent we do and they can not afford to import it. It is so weird because I am allergic to corn products and can not drink things like soda here (US). I tried some in Singapore just because they used sugar. I was pretty gross, though- felt like I could not get the sugar off my tongue.

Here's a recipe for gula melaka. Sago is the same as tapioca pearls in the US... I recommend using small ones or it will take forever to cook the large.

More of my favorites that uses gula are kuih dadar, pulut inti, onde onde, and cendol.
#15 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post

Yeah, I'd say be careful to check labels. Mine here at home looks like that link, but it is a different brand and is 100% palm sugar and not a sugar mixture. I bought it once in a glass jar, but can't remember from where and haven't found it like that again.

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#16 of 17 Old 06-11-2008, 08:50 PM

Ok I got some palm sugar, it's not very expensive at my local asian market! I bought a circular 'cake' and a box of seashell shaped dollops.

Now, how do I use it?

Does it dissolve like regular sugar? Or is it more like date sugar? Do you put it in coffee or tea?
#17 of 17 Old 06-11-2008, 11:48 PM

I found some too!! I bought two containers about a week ago in Chinatown. It's actually coconut sugar from the coconut palm!! BUT, it's 99.9% coconut sugar & .1% sulfur dioxide. How bad is that? I mean, I realize that wine has way more than that & I don't seem particularly sensitive to it, but is it toxic in small amounts? I think I'll scour the internet for some 100% pure palm sugar.

I've been using it in many dishes - I saute cubed butternut sqquash in coconut milk with a splash of vanilla & a few scoops of palm sugar. I've also used it in rice "pudding" in which I cook jasmine or basmati rice in bone broth, add coconut milk, vanilla, raisins & palm sugar - SO delish!

I use raw honey in my tea, but I'm sure it would work. It just needs to be dissolved, it won't work in something cold.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page