why would meat give someone a stomach ache? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 02-26-2008, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I keep hearing people who don't eat a lot of meat say that when they eat meat, particularly red meat, they get a stomach ache. I can't figure out why meat would give someone a stomach ache. ???
#2 of 20 Old 02-26-2008, 10:00 PM

It can be hard to digest, especially if overcooked. I too feel kind of ill after having meat. I have been eating TF for over 5 years, and our meat is grassfed organic from Peaceful Pastures, and it still makes me feel icky if I eat to much or too often. Raw meat, as in Primal Diet, I can handle easier.
#3 of 20 Old 02-26-2008, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If your body isn't used to meat, then you kind of "lose" or "forget" the proper enzymes for digesting meat, so it's harder to digest when you do eat it.

Another possibilitiy is food combining- people who don't eat meat often probably eat smallish amounts with grains and stuff, which may make the whole meal harder to digest- not necessarily from the meat itself, but from the way it was combined.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#4 of 20 Old 02-27-2008, 12:46 AM

I do not eat much meat and I do not eat a lot of grains. Meat does make my bowels sluggish (sorry if that's TMI) and if it's a richer cut (prime rib), I will get loose stools. IDK why, always have. I guess this is my hugest thing w/ the TF eating lol.
#5 of 20 Old 02-27-2008, 01:03 AM

the body releases different substances to digest different foods--hydrochloric acid specifically for fat and protein, as well as enzymes. hydrochloric acid production can be compromised quite easily, its production depend on so many specific conditions, ie sufficient quantities of zinc etc. you can 'train' your body to produce more of its own by taking supplemental hcl. i would carefully look into this treatment to do on your own, or see a practitoner to help you.
#6 of 20 Old 02-27-2008, 02:03 PM

interesting...

I had tacos wtih ground beef the other night and nachos with the leftover meat (and some veggies etc) the next night. I know the shells/nachos are not TF but I've never had any problem with grains at all. But I have felt sick from them for 2 days now. Wonder if I ate too much meat.... I was veg for 5 yrs until recently. But then that doesn't make sense as I"ve eaten ground beef tacos and other things with lots of ground meat like a shepherd's pie and been fine in recent weeks.
#7 of 20 Old 02-27-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama View Post
interesting...

I had tacos wtih ground beef the other night and nachos with the leftover meat (and some veggies etc) the next night. I know the shells/nachos are not TF but I've never had any problem with grains at all. But I have felt sick from them for 2 days now. Wonder if I ate too much meat.... I was veg for 5 yrs until recently. But then that doesn't make sense as I"ve eaten ground beef tacos and other things with lots of ground meat like a shepherd's pie and been fine in recent weeks.
What were the shells/chips fried in? I get like that any time I eat chips that have been fried in trans fats, or any vegetable oil for that matter.

Tessa, mama to M (93) B(94) T (05) G (08) and waiting for the arrival of ? on 10/23
#8 of 20 Old 02-27-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTessa View Post
What were the shells/chips fried in? I get like that any time I eat chips that have been fried in trans fats, or any vegetable oil for that matter.
no trans fats, but it was vegetable oil. They haven't ever bothered me b4 tho. My stomach still feels really off!
#9 of 20 Old 02-27-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama View Post
interesting...

Did you use a store bought seasoning packet for the tacos? Those can contain MSG and other preservatives and artificial flavors/colors.

Nursing bras should not double as birth control!
#10 of 20 Old 02-27-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolliePollie View Post
Did you use a store bought seasoning packet for the tacos? Those can contain MSG and other preservatives and artificial flavors/colors.
the same one I always use - Bearitos which is pretty natural.

I haven't bought anything with artificial colors/flavors in years or trans-fats etc. Ate a very whole foods and all organic diet even prior to TF.
#11 of 20 Old 02-27-2008, 06:17 PM

It might have just been coincidence- some kind of tummy bug hit you at the same time as that particular meal. Or maybe one or more of the ingredients wasn't quite fresh enough.

#12 of 20 Old 02-27-2008, 06:50 PM

I think it *may* have something to do with blood type?

Not sure about how I feel with the whole blood type theory in relation to TF, or other things , really- but I am type O and supposedly I have enough acids to eat lots of meat. I feel fine after meat. I do notice that enough meat in my diet helps things move along good.

But maybe pairing meat with something else everytime would be a good idea. Or a bit of potatoes, or starch, or something fermented.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#13 of 20 Old 02-27-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTessa View Post
I get nearly instant tummy aches from foods like that!

#14 of 20 Old 02-27-2008, 06:54 PM

I am O+ and have a hard time with meat. I always have. When I was a kid I stopped eating it altogether because it made me feel so sick. And then I realized how much I looooooooove the taste so I became quite the little carnivore- that didn't go over well. Now I just stay away from it for several reasons.

I know some say that the problem is lean meats but my favorite part of all meat is the fat. We'd have stake at my home everyone would load up their fat onto my plate. oooohhhh man I better stop now, I'm drooling....

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#15 of 20 Old 02-27-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
I am O+ and have a hard time with meat. I always have. When I was a kid I stopped eating it altogether because it made me feel so sick. And then I realized how much I looooooooove the taste so I became quite the little carnivore- that didn't go over well. Now I just stay away from it for several reasons.

I know some say that the problem is lean meats but my favorite part of all meat is the fat. We'd have stake at my home everyone would load up their fat onto my plate. oooohhhh man I better stop now, I'm drooling....
see...too many inconsistancies with the bloood type theory

#16 of 20 Old 02-27-2008, 06:59 PM

I felt horribly sick the few times I ate steak cooked in butter (used to be vegetarian and was/am still sorting out hoe to cook various meats). In a tiny bit of olive oil it's fine, even if I eat something else with butter at the same meal.
#17 of 20 Old 02-27-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
see...too many inconsistancies with the bloood type theory
What I like about the blood type theory is that it explains that we don't all need the same kinds of foods and that the foods that are good for one person could be pretty poorly tolerated in somebody else. I just don't think that blood type is the determining factor in determining metobolic type.

#18 of 20 Old 02-27-2008, 07:31 PM

: i wish there were some determining factor but it's more likely that there are several factors that play on each other.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#19 of 20 Old 02-27-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
What I like about the blood type theory is that it explains that we don't all need the same kinds of foods and that the foods that are good for one person could be pretty poorly tolerated in somebody else. I just don't think that blood type is the determining factor in determining metobolic type.
I like that too. One loophole though(as percieved by me), is that according to the blood type theory some people are better off as dairy free vegetarians.I think one would have to really work really hard to get all the nutrition there.
As I am sure lots of people do who try to follow a TF diet. But it seems to support evolutionary eating as well.

I actually just recently tossed my eat right for your baby or whatever it was called book. It recomended I drink soy milk To think I ever got anything out of that

#20 of 20 Old 02-28-2008, 07:28 PM

There have been many periods of difficult times in my life when my body have not been producing optimum enzymes for digestion and I simply have had to cut down on red meat, sometimes for extended periods. Do you know about the chakras? The third chakra/solar plexus? If you do then you can read up about how the malfunctioning of the third chakra influences digestion. If you don't know anything about the chakras, you may have a hard time understanding the significance the chakras have on human health.

Good luck

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page