~ * ~ March grain-free traditional foods thread ~ * ~ - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 134 Old 03-04-2008, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilamama View Post
my d was so happy she remembers that she used to eat lasagna but doesnt really remember that it used to have pasta and cheeze.

Thanks for the recipe ideas!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#62 of 134 Old 03-04-2008, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilamama View Post
RECIPE FOR SHAK-SHUKA

This is a comon Israeli dish. You make tomato sauce (I fry onions carots and celery then add equal parts tomato paste and bone stock and some salt), then you basically poach eggs in it. it is delicious.

We also recently made "lasagna" just with eggplant cut thin and salted wait till sweaty, and just layered it with the tomato sauce. my d was so happy she remembers that she used to eat lasagna but doesnt really remembe rthat it used to have pasta and cheeze.
So poaching eggs means you crack open raw eggs into the tomato sauce, dont' stir them up, and let them cook in the sauce?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#63 of 134 Old 03-05-2008, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Hey everyone, I feel so much better now that the nausea from too many coconut cookies has passed! (And now they sound super tempting again! ) We've decided that cookies will be a once- or twice-a-week treat around here.

Something that I like instead when I feel like I need a decadent comfort-food-treat, is this: butter and honey, creamed, with lemon juice mixed in.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#64 of 134 Old 03-05-2008, 05:52 PM

I was looking at the prices on coconut flour and almond flour and I can't imagine justifying spending that much! Where do you all get your alt flours? I feel like I spend so much extra on quality meats and produce that more expense for alt sugars and flours is really difficult!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#65 of 134 Old 03-06-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
I was looking at the prices on coconut flour and almond flour and I can't imagine justifying spending that much! Where do you all get your alt flours? I feel like I spend so much extra on quality meats and produce that more expense for alt sugars and flours is really difficult!
I get my coconut flour from Tropical Traditions. It's really not a bad price when you think of how little a recipe calls for. I make 2 doz. muffins with 1 cup of flour. And I certainly don't bake with it every day. Many times not even every week. It takes me a few months (3-6, depending) to go through a 2.2 lb. bag. I bake a couple dozen muffins, freeze most of them, and then we pull them out when we want them. I occasionally make cookies or pancakes or cakes, but they're treats, not a regular part of our diet.

I don't buy almond flour. My son doesn't do well with almonds. When I make a nut-based recipe, I use a nut butter instead of the flour. And I make my own nut butter. It's still expensive, but less than buying the flour.

TBH, finding the coconut flour has saved us money. We were using nuts for everything. My son can only tolerate pine nuts, macadamia nuts, pecans and Brazil nuts (which only make good savory recipes in our experience). After making a pine nut cake and cupcakes for his birthday a couple years ago, we were thrilled to find coconut flour!

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#66 of 134 Old 03-06-2008, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB View Post
I make my own nut butter.

recipe?
#67 of 134 Old 03-06-2008, 05:42 AM

Nuts and a food processor. I've never done with crispy nuts. I would bet that it would better to use soaked but not dehydrated nuts for that, if you're going just use it in baking. If you're not going to bake with it, you'd probably need to dehydrate before making them into butter. But this is all theoretical.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#68 of 134 Old 03-06-2008, 09:58 AM

I guess in the context, coconut flour is not that bad. When I was comparing it to regular flour it seemed like a lot of money. I would go through a 10 lb bag of flour every month or less when i was baking lots of sourdough and making pancakes and waffles and muffins. But seems like we have gone without that for some time without much complaint from my family. I do wraps for sandwhiches for my husband now and I make occasional whole grain waffles for the freezer to pull out for my son. I guess if I made muffins twice a month it would last quite a while.

Almond butter is about $12 a jar here so its not a very good alternative for me. I think I might just order some coconut flour!

#69 of 134 Old 03-06-2008, 02:12 PM

I finally made it through! This is such an active thread! I am procrastinating about buying some coconut flour. Reading through the recipes posted on here, I am sorely tempted, so I suppose I will have to just bite the bullet and buy some.

I am finding that I don't miss my bread so much. Crust-free cheesecake, custard, lots of eggs, beef jerky, cream and berries, etc. This is my answer to bread craving. We already don't eat very much pasta, so that isn't hard. I think my hardest issue is pancakes, waffles, and muffins. I made soaked grain waffles (wheat-free) the other day for my DC, and couldn't resist. I had several, and they were delish.

What helps me the most is getting plenty of protein (usually beef or eggs), and plenty of fat. Having some acceptable snacks on hand keeps me from being tempted to eat too many grains.

I made some brown rice the other day for a dish going to an elderly woman. I had a very small amount (like maybe 3 TB), and realized that I don't miss it too much. Same with cornbread.

I agree that it is best to just totally cut out the grains for at least 2 months. That way, you can learn to enjoy other foods, and train your taste buds to not want bread/grains. I find that it is easier to enjoy very small amounts when you reintroduce them, also. For me, going cold-turkey also makes it easier to cut out the sugar. I pretty much just use agave or honey to sweeten. Very small amounts of sugar in certain recipes are ok here.

Although I will probably not be grain-free forever, I do like the way I feel when I eat very low-grain. I also like it that my DC aren't craving breads and sweets. They actually tell me how bad they feel when we eat out or eat lots of grains. I hope they can remember that throughout their lives.
#70 of 134 Old 03-07-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilcrunchie View Post
You are so welcome! They aren't my recipes, but I'm really thankful to the originator of them! It has been so nice to have whole foods alternatives, which is something I found difficult when I did low carb a few years ago while TTC DS.

These have made it a *lot* easier for me!
Ok I just finished eating 2 slices of the cauliflower crust pizza and I have to say I officially love you for posting those recipes.

I seriously felt like crying when I took the first bite, as geeky as that is, because between all the diets I'm on combined I feel like I can't eat any of my favourite foods without it costing a fortune!

Now if we can figure out hamburger buns I'm all set.

That is all

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#71 of 134 Old 03-07-2008, 08:48 PM

Since I can't have dairy, perhaps I can make the cauliflower pizza for DH. He loves his pizza. I copied most of the recipes from this thread and tried the coconut flour blueberry muffins. The taste isn't quite what I expected, but I only added a bit of honey. I think I'll have to play around with the recipe to get it right for my taste buds. I used coconut oil and I much prefer the flavor of butter. Maybe next batch I can try the butter. I also am looking forward to seeing if DD will eat some tomorrow. :

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#72 of 134 Old 03-07-2008, 11:54 PM

Three questions for everyone:
1. What benefits have you personally noticed since you started eating grain-free?

2. How long have you been grain free and how strict are you about it?

3. What do you tell other (mainstream) people who wonder why you don't eat grains?

I've been following the TF grain-free thread for several months now, just reading but haven't commented before. Here's a bit of my journey so far:

Back in December, I decided to do a GF trial to see if I would feel better. Reactions to some GF cornstarch-based foods (along with some other events; trying to keep a long story short here) ultimately led to the discovery that I am allergic to corn.

In January, I started eating corn-free which has severely limited my diet...as only those of us in the corn avoiders club can truly understand. I thought, "oh well, nothing with corn, but at least I can eat gluten/wheat again." But, after dabbling in some lovely fresh-baked breads, I've found that I just don't feel good when I eat bread and wheat-y/grain-y products. And I found that oats, even the GF ones, just cause incredible fatigue for me. I haven't trialed just plain wheat, and I don't know if gluten is really a problem for me. But at that point I decided to stick with mostly grain free for awhile.

In February, I limited my grain consumption to brown rice (in various forms) and some yeast-free Rye bread.

In late Feb/early March, I realized that the Rye bread gives me indigestion and I think I will just give that up, too. I try to limit and rotate the brown rice products. I do eat potatoes and other starchy veggies, like carrots.

I should add that I've also given up dairy, except butter, for awhile because I've found that dairy (even raw dairy) seems to make me depressed. I can't bear the thought of giving up butter, so I am hanging on to that for awhile yet.

The benefits I noticed so far, in just a short time of all these dietary changes, are that since the beginning of January I've lost almost ten pounds and dropped one size in jeans. Also, I notice that without the grains in particular, I don't feel the addictive gnawing kind of hunger I would sometimes feel before. You know, that "I already ate but I really want to eat something else but I just don't know what" kind of thing. My abdomen feels flatter; I don't feel bloated. Overall I am just less hungry, and more satisfied with smaller amounts of food. My digestion seems better. I feel happier and more content. I have more energy and less brain fog, too.

I have some coconut flour on hand and have thought of making some "substitute" grain-type products, muffins or something, but I decided for now I am going to focus on living without bread-y foods. I see pizza commercials on TV and it just looks gross and gluey to me.

I find it liberating somehow to live without grains.
#73 of 134 Old 03-08-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIris View Post
1. What benefits have you personally noticed since you started eating grain-free?

3. What do you tell other (mainstream) people who wonder why you don't eat grains?
1. Five years ago I cured PCOS symptoms including reactive hypoglycemia. My health improved dramatically. I went all-natural low-carb and it changed my life. Giving up grains was just part of that. Recently, I've had fewer tummy problems and my nursling has had easier digestion.

2. From July 2003-June 2006 I was grain free, then I added sprouted grains into my diet while pregnant. Then I added in non-sprouted grains and with a lack of sleep and lack of help, I ate more. It really hurt my nursling because my body didn't handle the grains well. My downfall has always been sugar. I easily gave up breads, but the temptation for say M&Ms or sorbet still pops its head in now and again. I've again been grain free since the tail end of Nov. 07. Every so often during the 03-06 time, I would have popcorn, or a dessert. During 04 and 05 I was often very stressed from work and commuting and travel, so my diet slipped a lot. Overall I think I did well given all of the outside forces. But I aimed to do better.

3. I tell people that I eat low-carb and that my daughter and I are sensitive to grains. People always ask, "well can you have" and they name a grain. Or they suggest something with dairy as an alternative, which DD can't tolerate either. We went to a birthday party last weekend, and the meal was meatloaf, salad with cheese and dressing already mixed in, and mashed potatoes. There was also a plate of cheese and crackers. I couldn't eat anything there. The host was apologetic, but I said that it was no big deal. It infuriates me that people want to feed my daughter. She's 13 months old and wherever we go people want to shove food at her like she is some performing circus animal. I wish our society wasn't so into food being some sort of reward. Anyway, my point is that sometimes I feel somewhat isolated.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#74 of 134 Old 03-08-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
Ok I just finished eating 2 slices of the cauliflower crust pizza and I have to say I officially love you for posting those recipes.

I seriously felt like crying when I took the first bite, as geeky as that is, because between all the diets I'm on combined I feel like I can't eat any of my favourite foods without it costing a fortune!

Now if we can figure out hamburger buns I'm all set.

That is all
LOL! I'm glad you liked them, and I too am thankful the originator (she now has recipes up on lowcarbfriends.com for a zucchini based crust (taste less of the "cauliflower" taste) and she topped it w/ "taco pizza" toppings.

Have you tried the oopsie roll recipe (made savory, no sugar sub added?). I find that makes a decent enough hamburger roll. I've even shaped them into longer rolls for hotdogs. It feels so normal and satisfying to be able to do that!

I'm so glad that there are places like this to share information. I low carbed back in 2003-2004 a bit when I was ttc DS and there wasn't as much creativity out there that I remember. The alternatives were very much Frankenfoods vs. whole food creative alternatives.

I made the cauli breadsticks and pizza for my dad and mom who recently started low carbing (blood pressure is down for dad, and they are both doing and feeling better!). My dad has really been missing pizza and he really enjoyed this

The oopsie rolls and cauli crust/breadstick recipes have really, really helped make this more tolerable for me. Oh, and I've started baking w/ coconut flour too and that has been a really good experience. With these whole-foods alternatives, I don't feel like I'm missing out, and I don't feel like I"m compromising on eating whole foods
#75 of 134 Old 03-08-2008, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIris View Post

I have been grain free about 6 months. I lost 30 pounds in the first 4 months, going from a size 8 pants to a size 0 pants (which is healthy weight for me, because I am a very petite, slim-hip-boned, 5'1".) I feel great! I have more energy and my tummy isn't bloated anymore! I actually have a waist now. I didn't do it for my figure though, I did it for the energy. I sleep better now. I was feeling so slow and nauseaous and really tired all the time before I cut out the grains. I was still eating rice at first, and after every time I ate it, I felt so slow and low-energy and jusy yucky. Now I feel great.

Since I started being grain-free, I am extremely strict about it. The only problem is a couple of crumbs here and there that have accidently gotten on my food. That's literally it. No cheating for me. I don't need to start with the cravings and bloating again.

As to what to tell other people: quick version-- I have multiple food intolerances. I can't digest grains, at all.

If we get into it a little bit more-- I have gluten intolerance, and it messed up my digestive system to the point that I can't digest any grains at all. I'm working on healing the problem but it may not be curable, and for now I just can't eat grains.

This usually leads to: what do you eat? How can you eat a blanced diet that way? And so then I answer those questions different ways depending on who's asking.

#76 of 134 Old 03-10-2008, 03:20 AM
nym

So I slipped and I slipped bad, I feel horrible! Its been like 2 weeks of crap eating and I feel so bad!

I start again, and I am going to be strict, I cannot deal with this pain anymore. My exzema is so bad on my hands that I cannot make a fist with my right hand, my skin splits.

One thing I had problems with last time I tried was what to do with meat. I eat chicken, beef, fish etc. What do you guys do to your chicken and beef? How do you cook it, what kind of recipes do you cook? I get tired of roasted chicken breasts..

okay, this typing is hurting my hand.
#77 of 134 Old 03-10-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
So I slipped and I slipped bad, I feel horrible! Its been like 2 weeks of crap eating and I feel so bad!

I start again, and I am going to be strict, I cannot deal with this pain anymore. My exzema is so bad on my hands that I cannot make a fist with my right hand, my skin splits.

One thing I had problems with last time I tried was what to do with meat. I eat chicken, beef, fish etc. What do you guys do to your chicken and beef? How do you cook it, what kind of recipes do you cook? I get tired of roasted chicken breasts..

ack! I just lost a long post.

I hope your hand gets better soon!

Quick run down. I roast two chickens every sunday and we re-use the leftovers.

SOme ideas:
-chicken in curry sauce
-chicken adobo (soy sauce, vinegar, onions...depends on whether you can do soy, or can tolerate gluten/wheat free soy sauce)
-chicken salad (with apples/green onion/mayo, or tarragon/mayo, or southwestern w/ mayo and bbq sauce mixed to taste (if you can do sugar) and cilantro added.
-chicken w/ pesto and pine nuts over spaghetti squash
-chicken w/ tomato sauce and parm cheese over spaghetti squash
-hot wing style chicken legs
-chicken legs or breasts dipped in egg white and grated parm then baked
-chicken and salsa in crockpot served over lettuce w/ tomato, guac, sour cream, shredded cheese
-chicken breaded w/ coconut flour or shredded coconut and fried/baked
-chicken topped w/ ricotta, spinach, spaghetti sauce, mozzerella cheese
-chicken on a cauliflower crust pizza
-chicken chili, w/ or without beans depending on your needs
for beef:
meatballs with flax as binder (add extra moisture though...haven't tried doing them w/ flax yet. DItto meatloaf). Can also add grated parm as a binder. Can add small ones to chicken broth with some escarole or spinach for a nice soup.

chili

beef w/ ricotta, spaghetti sauce, mozz. cheese and baked (like lasagne)

beef w/ salsa, guac, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. as a salad

stuffed peppers ("riced" cauliflower and ground beef mixed w/ tomato product of choice)

burgers

Roast beef in crockpot w/ turnips (or potatoes and carrots if you do those)

those are some of my more commonly cooked items.
#78 of 134 Old 03-10-2008, 11:13 AM

I have been MIA for a while but I really need to go back and read the recipes!! Also, I must admit that I have been eating rice, no serious problems with it but I am going to phase it out for a while.

Last week I broke down and bought a rice bread mix. It had been a while since I had a slice of bread but boy was it satisfying! And it was dairy free too! If any of you are interested I'll find out the nameof it(I can't remember right now).

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#79 of 134 Old 03-10-2008, 11:45 AM

OK, I think I will have to break down again and get some soy cheese(I avoid unfermented soy too) because that cauliflower pizza is calling my name!!!!

#80 of 134 Old 03-10-2008, 12:14 PM

Why is it so hard to eat well when you're sick and most need to eat well?

I just hurt all over. I think I'm still reacting to that baked ziti (made with rice pasta- I'm reacting to the dairy) last Thursday. I feel depressed. I just want to pig out on rice cakes with jelly.

So far today I've had coffee with stevia and coconut milk, 4 eggs fried in olive oil, and a handful of almonds. I have that "I already ate so I'm not really hungry but I want to nosh on something anyway" feeling. And I know that DD2 is going to wake up and whine that I don't have a fancy meal planned for her (she won't eat foods she's bored of, yet she's a mess when her blood sugar gets too low.)

#81 of 134 Old 03-10-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
OK, I think I will have to break down again and get some soy cheese(I avoid unfermented soy too) because that cauliflower pizza is calling my name!!!!
Does anyone know of any replacement for cheese in these cauliflower recipes? I can't have dairy and I refuse to eat anything with soy. I'm wondering how eggs might work. Any ideas?

#82 of 134 Old 03-10-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
I read on a low carb site I frequent that people were having success w/ soy cheese I hope it works for you!

I don't know of an alternative to soy or dairy cheese for this recipe for the PP that asked.
#83 of 134 Old 03-10-2008, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Why is it so hard to eat well when you're sick and most need to eat well?

I just hurt all over. I think I'm still reacting to that baked ziti (made with rice pasta- I'm reacting to the dairy) last Thursday. I feel depressed. I just want to pig out on rice cakes with jelly.
Oh no! I hope both of you are feeling better soon. I find kombucha to be very healing and comforting for these kinds of things, although don't kno if you can get any in time to help.

Nym, I like sauteed steak. I put a few tablespoons of cultured butter in a large frying pan, and add spices-- usually minced fresh garlic, dried thyme, basil, and oregano, oh and salt of course, sometimes pepper and red pepper if I'm in the mood for spicy-- and I set the fire on low. If at any time the butter looks like it's going to burn, then I turn the fire off unti lthe rest of the ingredients are ready. Then I dice up an onion and slice my steak into thin strips and throw those on the pan and sautee lightly. Sometimes sliced mushrooms too. Yum. I make a generous amount of this dish at a time and keep it in the fridge. It's so yummy and satisfying and I like hot or cold.

I don't make a lot of different things, I just have a few things that are yummy ot me and I eat a lot of those. I like fresh veggies and fresh salads, and smoothies with berries. And omelettes. Try a bacon, muchroom, onion and bellpepper omelette. YUM!!! Those few dishes are pretty much my staples, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazer View Post
Does anyone know of any replacement for cheese in these cauliflower recipes? I can't have dairy and I refuse to eat anything with soy. I'm wondering how eggs might work. Any ideas?
I don't know. I'm also dairy-intolerant (or my nursling is anyway). Let us know if you find something!

#84 of 134 Old 03-10-2008, 01:02 PM

A while back some mama mentioned a soy free cheese substitute but I haven't been able to find it. Personally, I really do not like the idea of eating soy cheese- they usually have carrageenan in them too which I also avoid.

Not that long ago I tried to make some pimento "cheese" from nutritional yeast- YUCK!!! Needless to say I will not be making it again.

Here is a site that has some dairy subs(I have not tried any except for the pimento but plan to this week)-
http://www.godairyfree.org/Table/Dairy-Substitutes/

#85 of 134 Old 03-10-2008, 01:14 PM

I have to update. I went pretty grain free for the last two weeks and my weight budged a few lbs which is great! I am in the camp of nursing= no weight loss. Considering I have been working out HARD for the last 6 weeks I was encouraged that I finally started to feel a change in my body. That said I totally went off track this weekend and even this morning I felt lazy from too much wine and I ate a bowl of cheerios this morning. An hour later my stomach was eating itself! I made egg salad for lunch (but ended up eating my sons leftover noodles) Grains/carb have such a domino effect! You slip once and you're stuck in a rut!

I have a question, probably silly. Where do legumes fit into a grainless lifestyle? I had been eating refried beans, eggs, salsa, and avocado for breakfast last week and it kept me soo satisfied all day!

#86 of 134 Old 03-11-2008, 06:40 AM

Ok, here I am. I've been almost completely grain-free for 2-3 weeks now. I got desperate enough with my bad fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue flare-up that I went completely off grains, sugar and dairy products. I was feeling significantly better within days. The times I've cheated I've really been able to tell a huge difference in pain and fatigue, but I still am not sure which (or all three) are exactly the problem for me. I am allowing myself to eat fruits and occasional small amounts of unrefined sugars (specifically honey, maple syrup, agave nectar).

I was constantly hungry and losing weight (which I can't afford to lose) at first. Then I added cashews in, and that did help. Especially when I converted my favorite chocolate smoothie recipe to using cashews and water instead of rice milk. The recipe is super easy:

Chocolate-Banana Smoothie

Combine in blender:
8-12 oz. water
small handful of raw cashews (1/8 to 1/4 cup)
1 ripe banana
1 cup or more crushed ice, as desired.
Blend until smooth and enjoy!

I've also been making a lot of pumpkin pudding (crustless pumpkin pie, honey-sweetened, with water instead of condensed milk) and banana eggs (scrambled eggs with a mashed banana mixed in--got that idea here). I even tried making pumpkin pudding with bananas as sweetener instead of honey--it had a bit too much of a bite to it, but it was really fluffy.

However, I'm eating way more sweet things than I was before going grain-free, I think. And I think my teeth may be getting worse instead of better. I really need to figure out what to do differently. I know HOW to make grain-free meals, but it's just so energy-intensive, it seems. Peeling and cooking veggies, for example. And I really need a few things that are quick and easy and satisfying to snack on or have for quick meals, so I don't fade away completely.

I've also ended up eating way more potatoes (and potato chips with hummus and mango salsa--mmmm!) and legumes than is probably good for me. But if I cut those out I don't know what I'll eat, since I don't want to overdo the nuts. I know that I am constantly hungry and lose weight on a diet of primarily green vegetables and meat.

I can't do coconut. I had some really bad allergic reactions to it a year or two ago--something that looked a lot like anaphylaxis. So no coconut or palm oil. Can't tolerate avocado either. I really try to limit the nuts as much as possible, as well as avoiding fish/shellfish because of an allergy-prone nursing toddler.

Ideas????

Also, I've basically been lactose-intolerant all my life. I was weaned at 6 months and put directly onto whole pasteurized cow's milk, but did much better on goat milk from a local farm once my mom realized I was dairy-intolerant. In recent years I haven't been able to tolerate goat milk either (maybe partly because it was pasteurized?), but in the last few months I'd been able to gradually build up my tolerance so I could tolerate some goat milk yogurt and raw sheep's milk cheeses. I had even been able to add in some raw cow's milk cheese in tiny amounts. I'm wondering about trying to add those things in again, because I suspect my issues with milk are at least partially related to gut damage from other issues.

I'm wondering how soon to try some raw milk cheese or yogurt again.

I'm also making some kombucha. I've had wonderful results with storebought raw kombucha, but with my own I tasted it today after almost 2 weeks culturing and it still tastes like it has a lot of sugar in it (although it definitely has a bite to it--it's absolutely delicious!). So I'm a little worried about the sugar content of my kombucha.

I guess I'm trying to decide what to try adding back in, when. I'm really hoping that I will get to the point sometime where I will be able to tolerate at least small amounts of sprouted/soaked/gluten-free grains and cultured raw dairy, and have occasional treats containing sugar.

Also, is brown rice syrup as bad as rice itself, or worse? Or is it somehow maybe magically not considered a grain?
#87 of 134 Old 03-11-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilcrunchie View Post
I read on a low carb site I frequent that people were having success w/ soy cheese I hope it works for you!

I don't know of an alternative to soy or dairy cheese for this recipe for the PP that asked.
Just as a heads-up to anyone with intolerances/allergies, soy cheese does contain dairy (casein) and may contain other problematic ingredients as well, depending on what you're avoiding. It's lactose-free, not dairy-free, and it is not just cultured soy as you might expect.
#88 of 134 Old 03-11-2008, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have a question, probably silly. Where do legumes fit into a grainless lifestyle? I had been eating refried beans, eggs, salsa, and avocado for breakfast last week and it kept me soo satisfied all day!
Congrats on your progress so far! Legumes are hard for some people to digest (like me!) But if you can handle them, they make a great addition to your grain-free diet. Only you know how well you can digest them. Your breakfast sounds yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_kangaroo View Post
Ok, here I am. I've been almost completely grain-free for 2-3 weeks now. I got desperate enough with my bad fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue flare-up that I went completely off grains, sugar and dairy products. I was feeling significantly better within days.
That's so great! Congratulations! Watch out for the sweets and starches-- but you know that. I wish I could help you out with the coconut-free thing, but we practically live off of coconut here. It IS labor intensive making food all the time-- that took a lot of getting used to, and the housework has suffered because of it- but I try to make large amounts of food at a time and it helps somewhat.

Hope you get some more good ideas from this thread! And, feel free to experiment in the kitchen! That's what I've been doing from the beginning. When I first got the coconut flour I wasn't super happy with any of the recipes, so I made up my own and they were much better! So, don't be afraid to invent something.

#89 of 134 Old 03-11-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Legumes aren't grains. I'm avoiding them because I don't feel good when I eat them- even string beans which I've always thought of as a "vegetable" rather than a "bean." They don't fit into my "dairy free, grain free, legume free" diet at all- but if this is something you can tolerate, then go ahead and enjoy them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_kangaroo View Post
Ok, here I am. I've been almost completely grain-free for 2-3 weeks now. I got desperate enough with my bad fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue flare-up that I went completely off grains, sugar and dairy products. I was feeling significantly better within days.
Really? That fast? I wish I had that experience. For me, it's slow, slow healing, and then after a few weeks I realize I haven't had as many "bad days" in a while. I'm still not 100% recovered from that baked ziti I ate last Thursday.

I know I should 100% get off the rice and corn and see if I feel better, but it's really, really hard.

I'm sorry I can't give you more advice about gaining weight or keeping it on. I still have 20-30 lbs to lose, so most of my focus has been on trying to lose weight. One thing I did read about, though, is that many people lose a little too much weight when they first go on an allergen-free diet, and then after a few months put the weight back on and stay at a healthy weight. It's like the body is trying to purge all the toxins stored in fat, and once all the stored toxins are gone, it's ready to put back a healthy amount of fat, knowing there are no longer any toxins to be stored there.

In general, it seems that when you're eating a diet that's healthy for you, and that avoids all foods that your body can't tolerate, people tend to get to a healthy weight and stay there- losing weight if they need to lose, gaining if they need to gain, after that initial time of getting underweight for a few weeks to "clean house" before stablizing.

This is just what I've read, not what I've personally experienced (for me that would mean losing 35-40 lbs then gaining back 5-10 lbs). But since you've only been on this a few weeks, and you're feeling a lot better, you may just want to give it more time and see if your body stablizes on its own. And in the meantime, make sure you're getting enough protein and calories, I'd suggest lots of animal fats (chicken fat, beef fat, etc) since you don't tolerate dairy or the "best" sources of vegetable oils.

#90 of 134 Old 03-11-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
That's so great! Congratulations! Watch out for the sweets and starches-- but you know that. I wish I could help you out with the coconut-free thing, but we practically live off of coconut here. It IS labor intensive making food all the time-- that took a lot of getting used to, and the housework has suffered because of it- but I try to make large amounts of food at a time and it helps somewhat.

Hope you get some more good ideas from this thread! And, feel free to experiment in the kitchen! That's what I've been doing from the beginning. When I first got the coconut flour I wasn't super happy with any of the recipes, so I made up my own and they were much better! So, don't be afraid to invent something.
At least I've had lots of experience making things from scratch and making up my own recipes already, since my youngest had such severe food allergies to things that were in almost everything. It's just getting ideas that's a challenge. I think I might have to start making more soups . . . soup is always easy to reheat in a jiffy once it's made, and I can do bone broths for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post

Really? That fast? I wish I had that experience. For me, it's slow, slow healing, and then after a few weeks I realize I haven't had as many "bad days" in a while. I'm still not 100% recovered from that baked ziti I ate last Thursday.

I know I should 100% get off the rice and corn and see if I feel better, but it's really, really hard.

I'm sorry I can't give you more advice about gaining weight or keeping it on. I still have 20-30 lbs to lose, so most of my focus has been on trying to lose weight. One thing I did read about, though, is that many people lose a little too much weight when they first go on an allergen-free diet, and then after a few months put the weight back on and stay at a healthy weight. It's like the body is trying to purge all the toxins stored in fat, and once all the stored toxins are gone, it's ready to put back a healthy amount of fat, knowing there are no longer any toxins to be stored there.
I made a lot of changes at once, so it's hard to tell exactly what helped. I completely removed all grains, sugar and dairy products at the same time as I started taking a high-vitamin cod-liver oil and some other supplements, too. And I got chiropractic and bowen treatments. Also started really making a point to go to bed earlier, take it easy and take lots of epsom salt baths. I already do a lot of probiotics (raw saurkraut, kombucha, etc.) but I upped my consumption of those, too, and got myself some of the GT Green kombucha with the extra detoxifying spirulina and green stuff in it.

Within 2 days the pain was beginning to decrease and my energy levels were noticeably increasing, though still very low. It did fluctuate quite a bit, but within a week or two it was obvious that the overall trend was upward. I cheated several times with just a tiny taste of some gluten-free (brown sweet rice-based with evaporated cane juice) brownies that I made for DD, and I couldn't tell for sure whether that was contributing to the down-swings or not.

One day I completely caved and ate several of the brownies. I felt ok right after, but that evening I started feeling really emotionally on-edge (grumpy/weepy/trouble concentrating/jumpy/etc), tired and a little achy. The next morning I was miserable--couldn't get up the energy to do much of anything, hurt all over, emotionally struggling, etc. I was really careful what I ate that day and by evening I was feeling a lot better already.

My naturopath told me to start taking COQ-10, and the capsules I got are in a cornstarch base. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that amount of corn is enough to bother me. The times I've cheated so far have been on rice and corn, and I've definitely been able to tell a difference. So you might find it really worthwhile to at least give going 100% off of corn and rice a try.

Corn is actually one of the more common culprits for wierd intolerance-type systemic reactions that mirror things like fibromyalgia, arthritis, candida and other conditions. There are a number of good resources about avoiding corn in the sidebar at http://no-corn.blogspot.com Some people theorize that there's a condition very similar to celiac disease in which corn causes an autoimmune reaction even in the tiniest amounts, similar to the way trace amounts of gluten affect celiacs.

I've heard the thing about weight normalizing on a healthy diet. Toward the end of last year I got down to 97 lbs, which is SEVERELY underweight--to the point that I was having dizzy spells and heart palpitations, etc. from being so underweight. And cold all the time, so tired, etc. I've had to work really hard for months to get my weight barely up to a borderline healthy weight, and I'm afraid to let it go back down much at all again.

Whenever I've tried eating all or mostly veggies and meat, I feel hungry, have heartburn and stomach issues, lose weight, and just generally don't feel as well. I think my body may just needs a higher carb content than that. I feel so much better if I do eat some starches, it seems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page