~ * ~ March grain-free traditional foods thread ~ * ~ - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 134 Old 03-14-2008, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I'm not supposed to be here : but I just wanted to pop in really super quick to share a yummy dish we had yesterday:

Seaweed noodles warmed in salted chicken broth, then remove most of the broth (leave a few tablespoons depending on how much you are making) and add plenty of toasted sesame oil, and slivers of cucumber and red and yellow bell peppers, and crushed red pepper and diced cilantro to taste. This was SO delicious! I love that toasted sesame oil.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#122 of 134 Old 03-14-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
Ok, well, that's where I'm at as far as feeding the babe. Mostly, he just eats what I'm eating, but sometimes, I really don't want to give him part of that. Like, last night, I made omelets for supper, and since I'm not feeding him eggs, he couldn't eat that. He wants to eat though, so then he's screaming, and I don't really have anything to feed him (except the aforementioned banana tip or partial pear, because that's all he'll eat, and the rest will just sit until I eat it). I guess this is just one of those awkward phases in babyhood that will pass fairly quickly. I think I've felt this way with all my babies, and forget about it until the next one reaches it!

Maybe I'll just do the ice cube thing. He's not crazy about purees, as he likes to pick it up himself, but he will do some.

Oh, he loves his meats, too! Very funny how he will pass up the veggies for the meat. I have two rabid protein eaters, one who is middling, and one who is addicted to carbs and sweets. Their love of protein mirrors my transition away from veg.ness into TF.
Ya, I don't usually feed him what we're eating, either. There always seems to something in it that I don't want to feed him yet, or he won't eat it. When I roast a chicken or make a pot roast, I save some of the meat for him and that's what he eats when we eat. I usually offer him something new, which he picks apart but won't taste. He shovels the meat in, though, and asks for more. Unfortunately he doesn't like ground meat as much. And I cooked up some liver for him, too. I don't feel comfortable leaving that in the fridge for much more than a day though, since I don't cook it well done. Same with steak (which he just LOVES). I pretty much only offer fruit or veggies if we're having some (well, veggies keep better, so those sometimes get saved for him, but not often since he won't eat them! ). So, if dh is eating an apple, we'll offer some to ds, the same with pear or banana, or.... But we won't start a piece of fruit just for him.

If your babe is anything like mine, I wouldn't bother with the purees. He won't touch them with a ten foot pole. Well... actually, he's happy to touch them, he just won't eat them.

And yes, it is one of those awkward phases in babyhood! ITA. Probably made more awkward by our cautious natures (not saying that's a bad thing!). Hang in there. As I remember it doesn't last very long.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#123 of 134 Old 03-14-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
I LOVE jalapeno poppers!!!!! I must ask you, are they dairy and gluten free?
Gluten free, but not dairy free, sorry. If you can come up with a dairy free sub for cream cheese though... I make flavored cream cheese, stuff it in the peppers, wrap them with bacon and bake them.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#124 of 134 Old 03-15-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatrlCatholicMama View Post
My babes at 12mo (one just turned 12mo yesterday!) typically are eating almost no solids, but I don't feel it drains me at all. I wonder why the difference? My understanding is that what I'm doing is pretty biologically normal and I wouldn't expect the baby's needs to be so draining on the mother at this age. But ... could it be a factor of those who have been more gut-damaged being less able to turn whatever they eat into sufficient nutrition for two people? I guess that makes sense ...
Well, I know what the difference is for me. I have MS, so it's sometimes difficult just to keep my own body going, much less support a growing 12 mo. old. Gut damage doesn't seem to be an issue for me. It was an issue many years ago, but I dealt with that (took a long time, but I did). It seems that gluten affects my neurological system instead (Oh great! ). My body, when not pregnant or nursing, needs a very high level of nutrition, because it's constantly trying to repair areas that it has destroyed. OK, when I put it that way, it makes me wish I could reason with my body, because that just doesn't make sense.

I'm also suspecting adrenal fatigue. Which, I've read, is often present in people with a chronic illness.

In Chinese Medicine, breastmilk is thought of as blood. A woman who is deficient in blood has more trouble with nursing being draining for her. Guess what? I'm deficient in blood. Eating liver helps, though. I ought to eat it more than 2x a week.

Quote:
I'm going grain-free for at least a few weeks and then continuing very low-grain after that, but I don't seem to have a ton of damage ... only by luck & grace helping me to find you guys & your wisdom before it got too bad for me

I've been searching for the Healing the Gut Tribe and it appears to be inactive right now. I was wondering if I could get some of y'all to check out two threads in the Health & Healing forum

This one on a home saliva test for systemic yeast overgrowth (I have the same question as the OP) and
this one on avoiding yeast sources during attempts to end candidiasis.
Sorry, I can't help with this. Hopefully someone else will know something. I've heard about the saliva test before, but always just with option #1 being a "positive" result for candida.

As for yeast during treatment for candida, there are many different thoughts on that. I totally think that ferments are a good thing for correcting disbiosis. In fact kefir and water kefir have some very good probiotics for righting things (such as forms of candida that are antagonistic to c. albicans). I'm not as sure about the other ferments.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#125 of 134 Old 03-15-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Gluten free, but not dairy free, sorry. If you can come up with a dairy free sub for cream cheese though... I make flavored cream cheese, stuff it in the peppers, wrap them with bacon and bake them.
Hmmmmm, that is something I need to work on!!!

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#126 of 134 Old 03-16-2008, 12:23 PM

I guess my dilemma is what do I feed the baby when I am having something that he really can't or won't eat; like the other day I made omelettes (egg and cheese in them). We are low on food, at the moment, so I am sure that is contributing to my problem! I ended up giving him some frozen blueberries that he could mush up at his leisure (or spit out to leave blue stains on any and everything!).

It was much easier when I just fed them cheerios or toast!
#127 of 134 Old 03-16-2008, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was never so careful about introducing foods so slowly to my kids- if I was eating it, and they didn't react through my milk, I went ahead and gave them whatever I was eating, for the most part.

Well, I did that with DS but I had jars of pureed mush available for him, plus boxed "infant cereal" and crackers.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#128 of 134 Old 03-19-2008, 03:33 PM

#129 of 134 Old 03-20-2008, 03:47 PM

Any one have suggestions for quick and/or easy meal ideas?

Also suggestions for increasing fat? I make smoothies and custards with raw eggs, butter, coconut oil, fruit, honey but my kids only consume part of them.

My kids have very large appetites, and I'm struggling to come up with a lot of ideas that will fill/satisfy them.
#130 of 134 Old 03-20-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastmom View Post
Any one have suggestions for quick and/or easy meal ideas?

Also suggestions for increasing fat? I make smoothies and custards with raw eggs, butter, coconut oil, fruit, honey but my kids only consume part of them.
My main make-ahead dinner-type meal is pumpkin moussaka, although chili also makes an appearance from time to time. For quick "dinner needs to be on the table in 30 minutes" meals, stir-frys tend to be my go-to dish. Or really any type of one-pot dish works well, like curry.

How much dairy do you guys eat? Butter, cheese, yogurt, sour cream, milk, etc.? TBH I get most of my daily fat intake from dairy. Probably not the best of options, but it's darned effective.

For those large appetites, try giving them some "high fat" snacks. Carrots dipped in hummus or baba ganoush or tzatziki. Apple dipped in nut butter. Apple and cheese slices, etc.

To just add more fat, try sauteeing veggies in rendered fat. Lard, chicken, whatever. I usually cook my potatoes in goose or bacon fat, other veggies get butter, lard or duck fat. Most veggies will suck up fat when you cook them, so start with plenty of it in the pan, and when they're done, lift the veggies out, and any excess will stay in the pan.

Make fatty dipping sauces for cooked veggies. There are all sorts of mayo-based sauces that go great with veggies, if you use a quality mayo (or make your own), or even a bearnaise type sauce goes beautifully with many veggies.

So here's my question of the day... what do you say to people who question how you could possibly get enough fiber in your diet? *I* know I don't need all that much fiber, but mainstream thinking is that if you don't eat your fiber you'll get stopped up like a wine bottle. How do you respond to that?

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#131 of 134 Old 03-21-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
So here's my question of the day... what do you say to people who question how you could possibly get enough fiber in your diet? *I* know I don't need all that much fiber, but mainstream thinking is that if you don't eat your fiber you'll get stopped up like a wine bottle. How do you respond to that?
You know, I don't think I've ever talked about fiber with people when discussing my diet. Mostly they are amazed I don't eat bread and somehow survive. But it makes no sense to me to eat foods or fiber supplements just so they, um, come right out of you without being used. I feel best when I eat the least amount of fiber. And when your body gets used to a healthy way of eating, it will excrete wastes as needed.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#132 of 134 Old 03-21-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazer View Post
You know, I don't think I've ever talked about fiber with people when discussing my diet. Mostly they are amazed I don't eat bread and somehow survive. But it makes no sense to me to eat foods or fiber supplements just so they, um, come right out of you without being used. I feel best when I eat the least amount of fiber. And when your body gets used to a healthy way of eating, it will excrete wastes as needed.
I'm sure FireFaery would have some input on this. I used to think the more fiber the better (I was vegan for three years and vegetarian for seven years before that). Now I just don't worry about it, and in fact am also starting to think that it makes no sense to eat something that just comes right out. And I'm never constipated. So...?

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#133 of 134 Old 03-22-2008, 05:11 PM

Is anybody preparing anything special to get through the holiday with family?

We don't celebrate, but I enjoy hearing about the different things you ladies come up with for different occassions.

#134 of 134 Old 03-22-2008, 08:26 PM

We are invited to two places for Easter dinner and I think I'm just going to take along food. At one place there will be barbecue beef and at the other probably something else I can't have. I have a bunch of hard boiled eggs, so maybe I'll be festive and bring along egg salad.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page