Mothering Forum banner

Kerrygold at Costco- best price I've found!

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Brookesmom 
#1 ·
This might not be news to everyone, but it was to me.

I went to Costco over the weekend and saw 3 packs of Kerrygold butter for $7.75, making them $2.25 each.

I was just about the post how the price of butter (especially european) has gone up a lot in the past month, so I was thrilled to find this deal. Everywhere else around here is 3.99 or 4.19 now. It is the salted version and while I prefer unsalted for it's versatility, I don't really bake much so salted is fine for this price. BTW, they also have the Dubliner cheese in big blocks, which I noticed first.

Hope that helps someone save some $$$. Feel free to post your own "finds".

-Kelly

See less See more
#4 ·
We're a fairly TF family, but I don't get around to the TF forums much, etc. anymore. We do raw milk, pastured butter, raw cheese, etc. and grass fed meats, coconut oil/flour, etc.

I have a piggyback question on this. I know SF likes Kerrygold and the cows are grazed on grass for most/all of the year. My question is this...does anyone know how common the use of antibiotics/hormones are in European brands of butter/cheese? I'm always confused about which way to go on this...maybe not about Kerrygold specifically, but when I see imported Euro cheeses that aren't "organic" I wonder how common the use of antibiotics/hormones, etc. are abroad? Ditto things like imported meats. We low carb for my PCOS/IR, and I keep looking at stuff like imported Italian Prosciutto at Costco (I don't remember it having nitrates/nitrites). Then I start wondering about how that gets handled abroad. Do they get their animals from here? Are they from Europe? Are they hormone/antibiotic laden or is Europe more conservative in the use of those?

I realize it would be hard to say specifically, but I'm wondering what the general trend is for Europe in terms of how they make their cheeses/meats and how they raise their livestock?

#5 ·
Maybe it's for the same reason that a lot of local farmers (VA) aren't "Organic" even though their practices are: because it costs a lot of money to be able to say that?

But yeah, I went to the Kerrygold web site and it was a little weird that they aren't touting their products as hormone free. But the pictures and descriptions of their products are so drool worthy. Now I'm dying for some of their cheese!

-Vijay

#6 ·
Doing a "kerrygold butter antibiotics" search on Google the first results came back with:

Quote:
The cows are pasture-fed and are never given hormones or antibiotics. The butter contains no artificial ingredients or preservatives and is made from cultured pasturized cream. (I was glad to see that the cream, though pasturized, is at least cultured.)
Not sure what their source is, but more searching could probably confirm it.
----------

OK, their ad at saveur.com says the same thing, yay: http://www.saveur.com/market_client.jsp?ID=33756

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.