Lacto fermented broccoli/garlic question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-11-2008, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey there! I was inspired by PreggieUBAC last week and decided to make some fermented broccoli with garlic. I chopped both up, put them in a glass jar, and then poured some boiled well water over them and added 1 T salt and 4T whey.

Problem is, then I forgot all about the jar and let it sit out for six days! Is that okay, or should I avoid eating it now? I'd like to be a little cautious since I am breastfeeding, but I feel like it might be okay. What do you think?

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#2 of 4 Old 03-11-2008, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Was it covered/uncovered, all of the veggies in the brine, how large was the jar, any mold?

I was inspired too and made some up, I must admit it was not quite to my liking. I'm a broccoli person but it was too strong of a flavor for me. Maybe later down the road I will like it. When I made it it sat out for about 5-6 days covered (there is no way I could get away with the oncovered method, too stinky!!!). I checked it often to make sure it was doing alright.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#3 of 4 Old 03-11-2008, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Let's see-- it was covered, and I made sure that all the veggies were covered, though a few little broccoli tendrils could have started peeking out. No mold, and it was a quart sized canning jar about half full.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#4 of 4 Old 03-11-2008, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you can definitly eat it i would think- i culture my veggie ferments for way longer than a week- i am currently making a nice stinky kimchee thta has been going for 2 weeks, i have a friend who lets his go for a year.:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page