TF Pregnancy Club - March/April Thread! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2008, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree witht he yogurt - good protein, easy to eat any time.

I haven't yet this pregnancy but in my last two I would often wake up craving sweets and an orange or peach would take care of that for me.

Cheese and crackers is another option if you are craving protein.

I would eat something relatively light so you can still get back to sleep.

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008, 12:00 AM

My favorites are a piece or two of leftover breakfast sausage or a banana (it depends on what I have made up or in the house). Also, olives (like out of a can, I know, not very TF, but it's what I've got).
Old 03-30-2008, 09:08 AM

so - any postpartum people - what's probiotic in your diet?

during my pg i ate lots of kimchi & sauerkraut but now I'm supposed to avoid cabbage during breastfeeding. so what's a gal to do? i'm not going to start kombucha now & risk detoxing into my milk...i can occasionally get lacto-fermented pickles at the farmers' market, but they haven't had any since mia was born. so i've been having almost no probiotic foods.

after i got back from the hospital i took enteric-coated probiotic capsules - definitely NOT TF I know but i wanted to make sure to load up since i'd been pumped full of all sorts of yuck there.

so anyway. any suggestions? i don't feel like yogurt's really enough.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:37 AM

Add me to this list. I can't believe this is happening again. These babies are so not appropriately spaced. Anyway, we're so excited but I'm still struggling with fully accepting going back to square one. Oh well, this is baby number 4. I have a 5 yr old DS, 3 yr old DS, and 16 mo DD. I'm due November 3, 2008!! I'm also 37 years old and my 16 mo has down syndrome. You can imagine the midwives were pushing for genetic testing and counseling. Really they didn't put a lot ot pressure but they did start to mention the statistics etc and I said, "It doesn't matter." Finally they stopped and fortunately they didn't make me have the initial ultrasound. Well, that's pretty much the update. Soooooooooooooooooo tired and very nauseated. Just got strep throat too which is wild cuz I haven't been sick in years. Just got some ginger to make some tea and really haven't had the energy to do it. Was craving a ginger ale last night but obviously it doesn't even have ginger in it so what a joke. Have been craving sweets lately and haven't even eaten sugar in just over a year. I do use honey and agave nectar but very limited basis. Also craving carbs which I think helps with my nausea so there's good reason for that. Gotta go get the little one. Can't wait to read through everybody elses stories.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:07 AM

Hey mamas, Thanks for the ideas. It hadn't even occured to me to eat yogurt since I've been eating yogurt with my breakfast! Fruit is also a great suggestion. Olives are always yummy!

For the postpartum mama looking for probiotics would Ginger Carrots work? Also you can order lacto-fermented veggies from Real Pickles http://www.realpickles.com/ They have both carots and pickles as well as cabbage, sauerkraut, and kim chee.

Jess, mom to Phelan Quinn (9/23/95), Wiley Rogue (10/29/03), and Victor Xerxes (9/10/08) and still married to my giant!
Old 03-30-2008, 11:44 AM

I have started taking this:http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...730.htm#R64730 I know, I know...not very tf....but these vits really work for me.
My question is it has chamomile and fennel in it. Is that okay?
The only tea I drink in rrl.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:46 AM

I keep waking up between 4 and 6 in the morning (I am not a morning person!) and I am unable to get back to sleep for ages. My midwife suggested that I may need to eat something. But I can't think of anything I want to eat at 5 am. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

I like to have something by the bedside because I will have naseau all morning if I lift my head off the pillow without eating or drinking juice....
How about bread with a nut butter? Just easier if you don't have to get up!
Old 03-30-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph117 View Post

during my pg i ate lots of kimchi & sauerkraut but now I'm supposed to avoid cabbage during breastfeeding. so what's a gal to do? i'm not going to start kombucha now & risk detoxing into my milk...i can occasionally get lacto-fermented pickles at the farmers' market, but they haven't had any since mia was born. so i've been having almost no probiotic foods.

after i got back from the hospital i took enteric-coated probiotic capsules - definitely NOT TF I know but i wanted to make sure to load up since i'd been pumped full of all sorts of yuck there.

I've actually had a bit of kombucha But I have had cabbage as well! I didn't know about the cabbage thing. Iw as going to use cabbage on my breasts during engorgement, but MIL had only bought purple cabbage Can you imagine the mess from putting cooked colored cabbage leaves as a boob dressing?

I think kefir is great. I too try to avoid detoxing while pregnant. But I think a little maintenance never hurt. We have to keep ourselves regular, and our bodies running effeciently to get all our nutrients from foods and into our milk.

cute blog

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookescott88 View Post
I have started taking this:http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...730.htm#R64730 I know, I know...not very tf....but these vits really work for me.
My question is it has chamomile and fennel in it. Is that okay?
The only tea I drink in rrl.
I find fennel really gets things, um, moving....

So I eat it occasionally(we get it in our CSA) but in my opinion it makes mom and baby gassy. So it is good, but if you're sensitive you may want to stay away from large amounts.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
I've actually had a bit of kombucha But I have had cabbage as well! I didn't know about the cabbage thing. Iw as going to use cabbage on my breasts during engorgement, but MIL had only bought purple cabbage Can you imagine the mess from putting cooked colored cabbage leaves as a boob dressing?

I think kefir is great. I too try to avoid detoxing while pregnant. But I think a little maintenance never hurt. We have to keep ourselves regular, and our bodies running effeciently to get all our nutrients from foods and into our milk.

cute blog
Oh, I don't think that kombucha/kefir are bad at all while pg or nursing, so long as you've been drinking them already, since you're body's at a certain point with it then, if that makes sense! I feel like STARTING something like kombucha that's likely to cause some detoxing would feel wrong (to me). ITA, though, that it's very important to keep ourselves regular to get max nutrients - it's a great point! So I really must get more probiotics into my diet for SURE.

I think I'll try ginger carrots again. It's the one probiotic food I've had that's made me nauseous the few times I've tried it, but maybe now will be different--it has been a while since I've tried!

And thanks for the Real Pickles link - I LOVE their pickles!!! Whole Foods hasn't had them for a while though. I'll definitely order some. Maybe I'll get a 5-gallon bucket of 'em!

So Leilalu - the cabbage didn't affect your LO? The one day that I forgot about the cabbage thing & had sauerkraut with lunch, Mia was up screaming with gas all night - I blamed the sauerkraut in retrospect. Maybe I should try one bite again...but then again I so don't want to risk her screaming in pain.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:27 PM

i have never avoided cabbage. i think it is important not to just take every person's experiences and lump them into rules. some things are logical- like illicit drugs. but avoiding food is not something that is hard and fast for anyone. i would not avoid any (real, whole) food unless you and your babe had a personal experience with it. even then, i would want to be sure it was the food and not teething, normal newborn behavior, etc.

my personal preg news is that i have finally dropped my shadow care OB. well, i havent told her yet, but i dont even know that i will. i guess i thought i wanted her care for awhile, though right now i dont know why. the rest of this pg will be UP and we're having another UC.

for someone like me, who has only seen midwives and then a UP, i tell you OB life is insane. my experience was terrible. first, she isnt interested in anything i have to say. she looks at me like i am an alien when i ask a question about something or offer some information about my pregnancy. they just want to herd me through, shoving paper orders at me for this test and that, without even asking me! it is crazy. and the fearmongering. unbelievable. every time i go in there they are talking casually about cesareans like they are nothing out of the ordinary. anyway, i wasnt expecting such an abrasive experience and i am glad to be done with it.

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
Old 03-30-2008, 06:09 PM

i agree that food rules are not hard and fast. i ate a lot of spicy food in the last half of my first pregnancy and my son never had any problems while breastfeeding if i had spicy food except for once when i ate food that was too spicy even for me. a friend of mine couldn't eat any spicy food though while breastfeeding and i know the same is true for a lot of women.

i guess i got lucky with my first pregnancy and my OB was really nice and would listen to me if i needed to talk to her about something or ask questions. but she was an OB and there were some things about my son's birth that she was responsible for that i was not too happy about. i like the midwives that i am seeing for this pregnancy but i am thinking more seriously about having an u/c if i can get away with it, especially after i felt pressured at my last appointment to get an u/s for no real reason. i'm starting to worry maybe they would want me to transfer to the hospital over the littlest thing that wasn't even a big deal.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

Old 03-30-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookescott88 View Post
My question is it has chamomile and fennel in it. Is that okay? The only tea I drink in rrl.
My hb midwife has been encouraging me to drink a strong chamomile tea lately for help relaxing, so I'm sure that's safe. Not sure about fennel, though my mom and I have both used fennel tea medicinally for gassy/colicy babies with great success. So I know it's really gentle.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:01 PM

Ok, the acupuncture did diddly squat for the nausea. I went through severe depression for a few days, rolling on the floor in my misery.

In desperation I tried the dandelion root...no caps at the co-op, so I had to get the cut/sifted root and then grind it in my mortar and pestle.

Lo and behold, I felt so much better after I started it. Now I've added milk thistle tincture and the combination seems to have totally killed it! YAY! Today has been excellent! Thank you so much to the person who suggested it!

Now I'm just crossing my fingers that it stays that way...though now I am battling heartburn. The heartburn is so much more tolerable than the nausea though. Anyone have any tried and true remedies for heartburn?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:15 PM

Glad you got rid of the nausea!!!!

For the heartburn, you might try eliminating foods and seeing what happens. Mine in my first pregnancy was caused by bananas. This time I can do bananas, but it comes back with if I have a lot of processed foods in a short time.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
Old 04-02-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Oh, I don't think that kombucha/kefir are bad at all while pg or nursing, so long as you've been drinking them already, since you're body's at a certain point with it then, if that makes sense! I feel like STARTING something like kombucha that's likely to cause some detoxing would feel wrong (to me). ITA, though, that it's very important to keep ourselves regular to get max nutrients - it's a great point! So I really must get more probiotics into my diet for SURE.

I think I'll try ginger carrots again. It's the one probiotic food I've had that's made me nauseous the few times I've tried it, but maybe now will be different--it has been a while since I've tried!

And thanks for the Real Pickles link - I LOVE their pickles!!! Whole Foods hasn't had them for a while though. I'll definitely order some. Maybe I'll get a 5-gallon bucket of 'em!

So Leilalu - the cabbage didn't affect your LO? The one day that I forgot about the cabbage thing & had sauerkraut with lunch, Mia was up screaming with gas all night - I blamed the sauerkraut in retrospect. Maybe I should try one bite again...but then again I so don't want to risk her screaming in pain.
I don't think it had that effect for us. But raw onions did

Old 04-02-2008, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

My baby girl is here!

Amaryn: AH-mah-rin – Aboriginal for “rain”. It was raining here in Melbourne when she was born.

Ava: Latin for “bird” – she’s a small thing, 6 lbs. But I ate beef, potatoes and butter for dinner every night!!! My son wasn’t much bigger when I was eating SAD, so maybe I was destined for small babies?

Amaryn Ava was born 28 March at 2:00 a.m. She was born at home, in the birth tub (boy that felt nice when I got in there!), with my husband and two midwives assisting. My two year old slept through the entire 4.5 hour labor…thank goodness!

We are doing well, but the nursing is pretty tough for me again. I had the hardest time nursing my son. The nipple pain was so severe, I thought it was worse than labor. One of my midwives is coming by today to help me and I’m getting a referral for a lactation consultant. I’m having such anxiety about the nursing that it’s making resting very difficult. I just want my baby to have the most traditional of foods…breastmilk.

Steph117 – Amaryn had long glamour nails when she was born, too…and beautiful, silky hair. I had to cut her nails the first night we had her.

I’ll write more later…hope everyone is well.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:16 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! and I LOVE the name.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
Old 04-03-2008, 01:21 AM

Congratulations!!!!!!! What a beautiful name, and sounds like a peaceful labor. Good luck nursing!
Old 04-03-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Don't know if you're buying the yoghurt or making it. If you are making the yoghurt at home you can easily increase the probiotic count by increasing your incubation time. You can culture the yoghurt for up to 24 hours which will dramatically increase the probiotic count from that of a traditional 6 hour yoghurt. This will also make the yoghurt much more sour to the taste. Perhaps water kefir would make a nice addition and give you different strains of bacteria and beneficial yeast.

The bottom of this page gives an example of the typical bacteria and yeast strains in kefir. You'll be able to see the difference between this and the 3-5 strains of bacteria that is usually in yoghurt.

http://happyherbalist.com/how_to_kefir.htm
Old 04-03-2008, 01:07 PM

hmmm, I thought I responded already...*sigh*

Your little bird sounds lovely congrats!

My nipples were really sore this time around, too, but it gets better!

Old 04-03-2008, 01:17 PM

suzukiaustin: CONGRATULATIONS!!! What a beautiful name!

----------------
So I'm realizing that dandelion root is essential to keeping my m/s at bay. I felt sick this morning, took milk thistle tincture but that didn't cut it until I took dandelion root. All hail dandelion root!
Old 04-03-2008, 03:57 PM

Congratulations suzukiaustin!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji View Post
So I'm realizing that dandelion root is essential to keeping my m/s at bay. I felt sick this morning, took milk thistle tincture but that didn't cut it until I took dandelion root. All hail dandelion root!
Wow, very cool. Now that I think about it, makes total sense . . . all about supporting that liver, right?
Old 04-04-2008, 03:34 PM

Hello everyone!

We're doing pretty well here. I wish stuff would start growing! There's so little decent produce available and I want greens. I actually got kale last week that had come all the way from california.

I'm also very tired and I think I'm not keeping up with iron. I make beef at least twice a week, and pretty much eat some kind of meat every night. But most of my protein seems to be dairy and eggs which just isn't cutting it.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:48 PM

congratulations suzuki! good luck with the breastfeeding! just take it one day at a time. :

paquerette, chlorophyll might help with the iron until you can get your fresh local greens.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

Old 04-05-2008, 09:07 PM

Geez, I have been so busy with the baby and homeschooling I have lost track of this thread.

suzukiaustin - congrats on the new babe!! Sounds like a wonderful birth. I was very sore breastfeeding this time also, but the soreness has pretty much gone away at one month.

I didn't find any difference in my morning sickness with my dietary changes. I was terribly sick with all my pregnancies, including all but one of the miscarriages. I did feel better in other ways during this pregnancy, but I think some of us are just destined for ms. Oh, and mine always started about 6-7 weeks and lasted until about 16 weeks.

So, I am finding eating a good TF postpartum diet to be very difficult. My advice to all you pregnant mamas is to prepare as much as possible ahead of time. I didn't realize how much time I spent preparing food, and that seems to be much harder now. I have resorted to feeding everyone cereal for breakfast just because I simply could not cook breakfast, clean the kitchen, and get anything resembling lessons done without completely losing my sanity. I think I need some ideas for quick TF breakfasts (we have done soaked granola, but I have yet to make a batch since Teddy was born).
Old 04-05-2008, 09:41 PM

sigh...I think I jinxed myself saying that the dandelion root and milk thistle worked so well...the nausea has come back off and on, though thankfully it's better than it was before.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:39 AM

So, I am finding eating a good TF postpartum diet to be very difficult. My advice to all you pregnant mamas is to prepare as much as possible ahead of time. I didn't realize how much time I spent preparing food, and that seems to be much harder now. I have resorted to feeding everyone cereal for breakfast just because I simply could not cook breakfast, clean the kitchen, and get anything resembling lessons done without completely losing my sanity. I think I need some ideas for quick TF breakfasts (we have done soaked granola, but I have yet to make a batch since Teddy was born).[/QUOTE]

I am taking this to heart. After our second I could barely get enough to eat and we were not eating tf. I know I spend quite a bit of time cooking and preparing.
As far as breakfasts....how about making a casserole type breakfast with oats, eggs and fruits? I just cook up a bunch of grains (we are gfcf) and have it reheated for breakfast the first day and on the second mix in a few eggs and pop in the oven.
Sometimes it just has to be cereal!
Sounds like you are doing a great job.
Best,
Brooke
Old 04-06-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji View Post
sigh...I think I jinxed myself saying that the dandelion root and milk thistle worked so well...the nausea has come back off and on, though thankfully it's better than it was before.
My naseua did the same thing and I think finally ended a few days ago (about 17.5 weeks)-although I am probably jinxing myself.
Sounds like it is on its way out!
Old 04-06-2008, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ok, I think I need quick breakfast suggestions too, as well as things I can pack in a lunch.

I've been struggling with morning nausea and all-day low appetite (it feels like my stomach is smaller, I get full really quickly), and I've lost 20 lbs since Feb.

Help me out, mamas! I was a bit overweight to start, but I can't keep losing weight like this.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!

User Tag List