TF Pregnancy Club - March/April Thread! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 179 Old 04-16-2008, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
I'm sad to ask, but can you remove me from the due date list? We lost our baby last week.
: : I'm so sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 179 Old 04-16-2008, 08:33 PM

Lydia, i am so sorry for your loss.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#123 of 179 Old 04-17-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I'm sad to ask, but can you remove me from the due date list? We lost our baby last week.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
#124 of 179 Old 04-17-2008, 01:54 AM

DreamsInDigital - I'm so sorry for your loss

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#125 of 179 Old 04-17-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:

I am sorry DreamsinDigital.
#126 of 179 Old 04-19-2008, 08:50 PM

It feels like forever I've been lurking and dying to join this thread! I just found out I'm pregnant, so add me to the list!

How long have you been interested in Traditional Foods and how did you first learn about it?
It's been almost 5 years. I learned about it through Jordan Rubin's book, "Patient Heal Thyself". I had CFS and was on Prednisone for an eye disease (major Cushing's syndrome), and saw the book at the HFS and the title spoke to me. Less than a year later I was healthy and pregnant with DS.

When is your baby due?
December 26

Which number child will this be for you, and what are the ages of your other children (if any)?
#2, DS is 3.5

What kind of birth are you having?
I'm hoping for a homebirth. I had DS in a birthcenter, but I don't think there are any where I live now. I just need to get DH on board (we live only two miles from a huge hospital, which should help him feel better about it, I hope.)

What are your other interests/hobbies?
Nutrition (fancy that!), yoga, reading, climbing, painting

What part of the world do you live in?
the East Bay of SF

One crazy fun fact about yourself!
I have a midget toe in the middle of my left foot. When I wear tights, there's a dip like there's no toe at all.
#127 of 179 Old 04-20-2008, 10:28 AM

How long have you been interested in Traditional Foods and how did you first learn about it?
It's been about 4 years. One day when my first child was a baby, the library was closed so I bought The Maker's Diet at our local HFS. It was so fascinating!! We made a lot of changes right away and felt fantastic. However, we slowly started slipping back into mainstream foods (but not entirely). When my husband was diagnosed w/ aplastic anemia in fall of 2006 we went back to TF 110%. We love it and cannot imagine going back now.

When is your baby due?
My edd is June 23. Both of my kids were born at 41 weeks so this one will probably come at 37 weeks and find me unprepared, lol!

Which number child will this be for you, and what are the ages of your other chilcren?
This will be our third baby. DD is 4 and DS is 2.

What kind of birth are you having?
Homebirth w/ a CPM and doula. Just like our 2nd. Our first was born in a very NCB-friendly hospital w/ a CNM & a doula.

What are your other interests/hobbies?
gardening, reading, promoting AP & BFing & positive discipline, unschooling

What part of the world do you live in?
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

One crazy fun fact about yourself!
Hmm, have to think about that!!

Oh, and the person who asked about Bach Flower Remedies--I don't know if it got answered yet but we use them and LOVE them. There's a new Rescue Remedy for kids now that doesn't have alcohol in it so it tastes better to kids. A HUGE help for my intense 4 y.o.
#128 of 179 Old 04-21-2008, 12:02 AM

Can I join? Can I just tell you how happy and excited I am that we just agreed to TTC our first in 1 year?! That may seem like a long way away to some of you...but for me when it was going to be 3 years it is right around the corner. And I'm here to prepare my body, mind and heart NOW.

I feel I should begin supplementing now. Besides CLO, Concentrace and probiotics which I am already taking...what is everyone else doing and why? Should I get dh to take anything besides the CLO which he has been great about taking?

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#129 of 179 Old 04-21-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji View Post
I am taking a prenatal this time around too...I'm taking the NOW brand prenatal as they usually have really high quality products for extremely reasonable prices. I chose that one over Rainbow Lights b/c the RL has 50% of its vitamin A as palmitate whereas the NOW has it all as beta carotene. Though I've heard good things about RL otherwise.
I chose NOW prenatal also because of the vitamin A issue and like them...

Just stopping into say that me and the baby are doing great...she is 9 weeks now and I feel really good. This is the time with baby #1 where PPP/PPD kicked in so I am feeling really optimistic to be this mentally stable and sleeping well

Congrats to all the newbies!!!

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#130 of 179 Old 04-23-2008, 08:26 PM

Help....

I just took a test this evening as I'm a few days late and had some strange symptoms going on. The test came back positive. I am in shock as this is most definitely unplanned. This will be my first true TF style pregnancy - but I'm wondering what I should start taking/doing right now to compensate for the unplanned part of this. I have been taking a half dose of multivitamins as well as several different amino acid supplements (5-htp, vit c, gaba) . Can I continue all of those? If history repeats itself, I'm going to get really nauseaus in about 10ish days. I need to prepare for this catastrophe! I'm thinking about baking ds' bread and freezing it, and stockpiling the freezer with meals. I just don't know which ones. This is all very overwhelming for me right now...
#131 of 179 Old 04-23-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
I chose NOW prenatal also because of the vitamin A issue and like them...

Just stopping into say that me and the baby are doing great...she is 9 weeks now and I feel really good. This is the time with baby #1 where PPP/PPD kicked in so I am feeling really optimistic to be this mentally stable and sleeping well

Congrats to all the newbies!!!

Jen

Glad to hear you are well

I am glad to be feeling this well too. *but* I can't tell you how many times peopel have said this exact phrase to me: "I'm glad the baby is doing well,.......... but how are YOU doing? Me: "good" them:"No, how are YOU doing?"

I'm, like, "fine, really good actually"( insert something about how I am learning and taking everything in stride, yada yada)
It's like noone believes I can actually be this optomistic and stable.

#132 of 179 Old 04-24-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigknitwit View Post
Help....

I just took a test this evening as I'm a few days late and had some strange symptoms going on. The test came back positive. I am in shock as this is most definitely unplanned. This will be my first true TF style pregnancy - but I'm wondering what I should start taking/doing right now to compensate for the unplanned part of this. I have been taking a half dose of multivitamins as well as several different amino acid supplements (5-htp, vit c, gaba) . Can I continue all of those? If history repeats itself, I'm going to get really nauseaus in about 10ish days. I need to prepare for this catastrophe! I'm thinking about baking ds' bread and freezing it, and stockpiling the freezer with meals. I just don't know which ones. This is all very overwhelming for me right now...
Congratulations! Vitamin C isn't an amino acid (you probably know that) and is generally considered safe during pregnancy, although I don't know if I would take huge amounts on a regular basis. The amino acids I've researched say that it's not known whether they are safe during pregnancy, although I haven't looked up those particular two.
#133 of 179 Old 04-25-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Help....

Congrats on your suprise!!!!
You are supposed to be cautious with amino acis when pregnant...taking the lowest dose as needed. I have a little info on it from the clinic I went to and I will post tomorrow if I remember. (PM me if I forget)

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#134 of 179 Old 04-25-2008, 06:39 AM

Mathias Alexander was born on Sunday Apr 20 at 10:02 pm. 9 lb 1 oz, 22 inches long!
My water broke at 6 am on Sat., but it took me until 10 am Sun. to get into active labor. Labor was pretty rough and nearly resulted in a hospital transfer, but everything came out all right in the end!
We are doing SO great, and he is such a little charmer! My midwife says he is so alert and engaging, he acts more like a 1 month old!

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#135 of 179 Old 04-25-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleystar View Post
Mathias Alexander was born on Sunday Apr 20 at 10:02 pm. 9 lb 1 oz, 22 inches long!
My water broke at 6 am on Sat., but it took me until 10 am Sun. to get into active labor. Labor was pretty rough and nearly resulted in a hospital transfer, but everything came out all right in the end!
We are doing SO great, and he is such a little charmer! My midwife says he is so alert and engaging, he acts more like a 1 month old!

Congrats! I am glad you had a successful homebirth. Sounds wonderful. Enjoy your babymoon.
#136 of 179 Old 04-25-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleystar View Post
Congrats!!!! That is how my first 2 came out- so alert, standing up, holding their heads.
Then there was the third, who I think must have been sleeping when they got him out(section) and he just wanted to cuddle for a month- totally uninterested in holding his head up.

And congrats to bigknitwit as well

#137 of 179 Old 05-01-2008, 08:44 PM

Just wanted to share I had roast beef heart for the first time today. I'd been wanting to try it but putting it off until my nausea had lessened some (at 14 weeks now!).

So anyways, I decided to try 1/2 a beef heart in the crock pot today. I used a pretty simple recipe for making a sandwich meat. We don't eat sandwiches because DH can't have gluten, so I mashed some potatoes to go with the heart.

I was really and truly pleasantly surprised. I've been having trouble eating any meats but pate or ham. The texture has just been getting me. But the texture of the heart was pretty fine and very easy to eat. It had a good flavor too, very similar to a roast.

I know heart is supposed to be beneficial during pregnancy so I'm going to try and prepare it once a week. DH said he might like it with a gravy for the potatoes and meat, so I need to think of a gravy to do (it didn't have drippings - I roasted it in a water bath in the crock), but overall it was quite successful. The kids enjoyed it too.

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#138 of 179 Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I have been taking a half dose of multivitamins as well as several different amino acid supplements (5-htp, vit c, gaba) . Can I continue all of those? If history repeats itself, I'm going to get really nauseaus in about 10ish days.
Congratulations and welcome to the club! I have read differing opinions about the 5-HTP, with some people saying it's perfectly safe and others saying that because it increases seratonin production it could reasonably impact the baby's brain and therefore isn't safe. I can tell you that my HB midwife, who has been practicing for almost 30 years, regards it as being safe and encouraged me to go on it when I started struggling with symptoms of depression at the beginning of my 3rd trimester. I had been taking it prior to getting pregnant and discontinued it at the beginning of the pregnancy. Since taking it again, I am feeling much better.

In NT, there is a statement about how morning sickness is a reaction to chronic B6 deficiency, which can take up to 3 years to correct. I took alot of nutritional yeast in the 3 months prior to getting pregnant this time around and also in the beginning of my pregnancy. It helped alot. I don't know if it's too late to do much of anything in that realm, but I thought I'd mention it in case it was useful.
#139 of 179 Old 05-01-2008, 09:47 PM

I also just have to say that I'm 37 weeks today. If this were my first pregnancy, my water would break at 2am tomorrow morning. lol I don't expect that to happen, I think I've still got some time though I've been having an increasing number of contractions and cervical sensation, so I guess we'll see. I am amazed by how much better this pregnancy has gone than my first; I totally attribute that to the elimination of major allergens from my diet and also by following a more nutritionally dense diet since finding TF almost 2 years ago.
#140 of 179 Old 05-02-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally'smom View Post
I also just have to say that I'm 37 weeks today. If this were my first pregnancy, my water would break at 2am tomorrow morning. lol
Heh - this brings back memories for me!! My first was born at 37 weeks, and labor starting with my water breaking. So naturally I expected my second to be early at well, and in my mind, no matter how much I tried not to, I felt I was full term at 37 weeks. he was 1 day late, and it was the longest, 22 days of my life lol If it's any penance, his delivery was way easier (no water breaking until 9 min before birth)
#141 of 179 Old 05-02-2008, 11:21 AM

BIGKNITWIT--

My pregnancy/breastfeeding packet from Julia Ross' clinic says this for pregnancy--
"For amino acids, it is best to dose according to specific test results. Keep dosage low."

For breastfeeding--
"Individual aminos used in physiolocial amounts are probably acceptable, but NO phenylalanine.

I know you can get an amino acid test that you can do yourself at home and send in. Gale Force did that. You can even have a supplement custom made from the results.

Jen

#142 of 179 Old 05-02-2008, 03:13 PM

Jen - Thanks for the good info about the amino acids. I actually stopped taking them as soon as I got my positive test result because I wasn't sure what to do. I take the 5-htp mainly to help me sleep at night, and that's not too much of a problem for me during pregnancy (I'm so tired!). I had a bunch of my neuro-transmitter levels testeed last year, but not since then. I will revisit it with my naturopath when I go see her next week.

I am 5.5 weeks along and the hunger is really setting in - you know the kind where you eat a meal and feel like you haven't eaten yet?! Are there some TF foods to help deal with this? So far the nausea hasn't come on strong, but it's probably only a matter of time for that.

Also, did anyone eat their sensitive foods during pregnancy? I am considering it, especially dairy and eggs, since they are so nutritious. I had my allergies re-tested and will get the results next week. Regardless, I'm wondering if the benefits of these foods outweigh the negatives of eating them when I'm sensitive..
#143 of 179 Old 05-03-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Also, did anyone eat their sensitive foods during pregnancy? I am considering it, especially dairy and eggs, since they are so nutritious. I had my allergies re-tested and will get the results next week. Regardless, I'm wondering if the benefits of these foods outweigh the negatives of eating them when I'm sensitive..
I seem to have developed a ton of food sensitivities, and I do eat some of them. I think it really depends on whether you're willing to deal with the reactions or not--the nutritional benefits of raw milk don't cancel out feeling sick or having digestive problems all the time, IMO. For me, I seem to be sensitive to grains in general to some extent, definitely to gluten and rice, possibly to coconut, definitely to dairy, and possibly to eggs. I am eating some grains right now because of morning sickness and food aversions but I'll try to cut them out again when that goes away. I eat small amounts of dairy that don't trigger symptoms but eat larger amounts only every once in a while--it's just not worth having a runny nose and being constipated all the time. I don't eat rice at all because I don't like the consequences, and I only eat gluten if I really, really enjoy the food I'm eating (like maybe pizza every once in a while: ) because I feel it for a week afterwards. I don't know if I'm having problems with eggs again or not--I started getting eczema from eggs when I was pregnant with DD, and after a year off them because of DD's food intolerances I didn't get eczema anymore. But now that I'm pregnant again I'm getting eczema again...but I don't know if it's because of the eggs or something else. If it is the eggs, I'm not willing to cut them out for mild eczema, particularly since I seem to have so many other food sensitivities right now. Sorry to write such a book--does that answer your question at all?
#144 of 179 Old 05-03-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I seem to have developed a ton of food sensitivities, and I do eat some of them. I think it really depends on whether you're willing to deal with the reactions or not--the nutritional benefits of raw milk don't cancel out feeling sick or having digestive problems all the time, IMO. For me, I seem to be sensitive to grains in general to some extent, definitely to gluten and rice, possibly to coconut, definitely to dairy, and possibly to eggs. I am eating some grains right now because of morning sickness and food aversions but I'll try to cut them out again when that goes away. I eat small amounts of dairy that don't trigger symptoms but eat larger amounts only every once in a while--it's just not worth having a runny nose and being constipated all the time. I don't eat rice at all because I don't like the consequences, and I only eat gluten if I really, really enjoy the food I'm eating (like maybe pizza every once in a while: ) because I feel it for a week afterwards. I don't know if I'm having problems with eggs again or not--I started getting eczema from eggs when I was pregnant with DD, and after a year off them because of DD's food intolerances I didn't get eczema anymore. But now that I'm pregnant again I'm getting eczema again...but I don't know if it's because of the eggs or something else. If it is the eggs, I'm not willing to cut them out for mild eczema, particularly since I seem to have so many other food sensitivities right now. Sorry to write such a book--does that answer your question at all?
Yeah, that helps i know i had read somewhere that people believe you can pass the antibodies along to the baby by continuing to eat sensitive foods, that's one of the issues I was worried about. I don't know if there are any other issues for the baby. I must say that I ate eggs every day during my last pregnancy (I didn't know I was sensitve), and my daughter is just fine. She seems to have no food sensitivities at all. I don't have a lot of noticeable consequences when I eat my sensitive foods these days so I am really curious to get my updated allergy tests back. I should pull out my N&PD book and hunt around for any societies that didn't consume eggs or dairy for some ideas. However I'm not comfortable eating a lot of fish from our polluted waters, which makes it more challenging to find suitable diet alternatives.

I know this has come up before, but I'm curious to know how people are supplementing. So far, I am taking:

B vitamin complex
2 tbsp molasses
CLO
Calcium supplement (due to minimal dairy intake)
#145 of 179 Old 05-03-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that helps i know i had read somewhere that people believe you can pass the antibodies along to the baby by continuing to eat sensitive foods, that's one of the issues I was worried about. I don't know if there are any other issues for the baby.
I have read a study to that effect. I just decided not to worry about it--plenty of other things to worry about without restricting my diet even further. As likely as not I'll have to do that anyway once the baby comes so I need a break now.

I take:
vitamin A from fish oil (75,000 IU total a week)
liquid D3
kelp
NOW multi-mineral
folate
K2
occasionally B12 to balance out the folate
extra zinc and copper
brewer's yeast when I can make myself take it...I'll switch to a B complex when I run out
calcium
sometimes extra magnesium
#146 of 179 Old 05-04-2008, 02:51 PM

Apparently, I now belong to this thread. I'm a little surprised, I have to admit, but apparently TF makes me.. ahem.. extra fertile!

Due sometime in January.

Is there a May thread in the works?
#147 of 179 Old 05-04-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
Apparently, I now belong to this thread. I'm a little surprised, I have to admit, but apparently TF makes me.. ahem.. extra fertile!

Due sometime in January.

Is there a May thread in the works?

Congratulations Apparently TF does the same for me lolI think my due date is something like Dec 31st. I imagine this baby will be born jan 1 at something like 1am, and we will miss a year's worth of tax benefit Not that that matters, of course!
#148 of 179 Old 05-04-2008, 04:39 PM

Is anybody having trouble following the WAPF nutrition guidelines? I'm ok with liver, but fish and seafood when I'm pregnant, even thinking about it makes me want to.. well you know. (Trying not to gross out the pregnant ladies!)

Drinking milk even is a hurdle.
#149 of 179 Old 05-05-2008, 03:24 PM

I ahve to be realistic and know that those guidelines are going to be very difficult for me to attain. I feel like I am already ballooning (I always do while pregnant), and that's a whole lot of food. I have tons of beef liver in my freezer but I couldn't bring myself to eat it before, so I'm not very confident I'll be successful now. Sigh. I am comforted by hoping that I have replenished my reserves prior to pregnancy thanks to a mainly TF diet.
#150 of 179 Old 05-06-2008, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Congrats, Serena!!!

Supplements that I'm taking:
  • New Chapter Perfect Prenatal multivitamins
  • Nordic Naturals cod liver oil
  • New Chapter All-Flora probiotics

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page